PDA

View Full Version : NFL Cracking Down on Counterfeiters

The King
04-30-2013, 09:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8900519/nfl-us-government-score-record-bust-fake-jerseys

The NFL, in cooperation with government authorities, announced on Thursday that it had seized a record $13.6 million worth of counterfeit NFL merchandise this season in a nationwide enforcement effort called "Operation Red Zone."
That total included a bust in Warwick, R.I., in September, when the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations, with an assist from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Postal Inspection Service, seized 226 boxes containing 4,016 counterfeit jerseys. It also includes 160,000 Super Bowl-related pieces of memorabilia discovered in recent days.
"Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise and stealing from the American businesses who have worked hard to build a trusted brand," said ICE director John Morton, in a statement. "The sale of counterfeit jerseys and other sports items undermines the legitimate economy, takes jobs away from Americans, and fuels crime overseas. No good comes of counterfeiting American products -- whether NFL jerseys, airbags, or pharmaceuticals -- and we must go after the criminals behind it."

Joe Fo Sho
04-30-2013, 09:21 AM
"whether NFL jerseys, airbags, or pharmaceuticals -- and we must go after the criminals behind it."

One of these things is not like the other.

HAMMER
04-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Two summers ago I had a box of 60 jerseys confiscated by customs. Received a nice letter with threats of fines, etc. I shut that down very quickly, they are serious.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 09:24 AM
First, the counterfeits don't take American jobs because the real ones aren't made in America either.

Second, if the NFL doesn't want people to buy counterfeit merch, don't charge $100 for a replica jersey and $225 for an authentic, especially in a league where players are rarely on the same team for more than 4 or 5 years.

I know they have to make a profit, but the counterfeiters sell the authentics for roughly 1/10 the price of the official ones and still make money. They could easily slash those prices in half and still make a hefty profit.

The King
04-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Rather than go after counter fitters, why not competitively price? We know they're being made in the same conditions. Why would I pay 200$ when I can get an almost identical piece for 35$

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
"Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise and stealing from the American businesses who have worked hard to build a trusted brand," said ICE director John Morton, in a statement. "The sale of counterfeit jerseys and other sports items undermines the legitimate economy, takes jobs away from Americans, and fuels crime overseas.
Unfortunately the Officially Licensed NFL jerseys are all made overseas anyway, in most cases from the same manufacturers who are making the "counterfeit" jerseys. So the consumers are actually getting ripped off not by the counterfeiters but by the NFL for having to pay 10x the price for "official licensed" products.

Night Train
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Rather than go after counter fitters, why not competitively price? We know they're being made in the same conditions. Why would I pay 200$ when I can get an almost identical piece for 35$

Once I saw Godell was being paid 29 Mil, I stopped worrying about NFL income.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 09:29 AM

You mean use free market capitalism instead of state authority to sell goods? Why would anyone want to do that?

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
All of us pretty much said the same thing.

bf1
04-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Exactly. The last I checked replicas were $99. They are pricing themselves out. They should compete with the counterfeiters. I'd be willing to bet that most fans would spend $20 more to avoid the overseas order. Not $60+.

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Exactly. The last I checked replicas were $99. They are pricing themselves out. They should compete with the counterfeiters. I'd be willing to bet that most fans would spend $20 more to avoid the overseas order. Not $60+.
"Authentics" are being sold from China at $25. I would gladly pay $50 for it from the US, but not $225.

The King
Its also hard to feel bad for organizations that are made up of about 100 millionaires and at least 1 billionaire.

Pinkerton Security
counterfeiters

bf1
04-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't think I've bought one piece of licensed merchandise for any sport in about 10 years.

The King
04-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Two summers ago I had a box of 60 jerseys confiscated by customs. Received a nice letter with threats of fines, etc. I shut that down very quickly, they are serious.

IMO I have no problem with them stopping people trying to make a profit on them, but hopefully they'll leave the households alone.

bf1
04-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Just go on strike, like me.

RedEyE
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah it would be different of the jerseys were actually made in the states.

Meathead
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
i buy knockoffs and the nfl hasnt lost a dime cuz there aint no chance in hell im ever buying two hundred dollar jerseys

ServoBillieves
04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Anybody else laugh out loud at this? Glad the government is cracking down on NFL jerseys and giving other countries millions (billions?) of dollars for no reason.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Unfortunately the Officially Licensed NFL jerseys are all made overseas anyway, in most cases from the same manufacturers who are making the "counterfeit" jerseys. So the consumers are actually getting ripped off not by the counterfeiters but by the NFL for having to pay 10x the price for "official licensed" products.

You mean use free market capitalism instead of state authority to sell goods? Why would anyone want to do that?

Manufacturing isn't the only cost in those jerseys, you realize? Yeah, Counterfeiters can sell cheaper. They don't pay any royalties to the players, teams, or league, they don't pay the designers, they don't pay any advertisers, and many of them don't pay any taxes.

If you don't want to pay $200 for a jersey, you don't have to. But don't pretend it's something that it's not.

IMO I have no problem with them stopping people trying to make a profit on them, but hopefully they'll leave the households alone.

He said himself he had 60 jerseys in that box. If I was an ICE agent, I would have assumed he was trying to make a profit.

trapezeus
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
some reason i see the merch bust being set up like the boston bomber arrests.

for a league that already gets tons of support from the government, it is mind boggling that this is even worth the time of day of going after.

on a different note, i recently found out from the obesity epidemic that is affecting america, that i can fit into a Kids Large jersey and that is only $55. An outrageous price for a jersey to give a growing child. a more reasonable price for a man of my diminutive stature. Honestly, what 5'8 kid weighs in at 150-155lbs?

Can't wait til the NFL busts me for buying the actual jersey they sell. They are such whiners.

The King
04-30-2013, 10:36 AM
He said himself he had 60 jerseys in that box. If I was an ICE agent, I would have assumed he was trying to make a profit.

And I am ok with the NFL taking his 60 jerseys.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 10:44 AM
And I am ok with the NFL taking his 60 jerseys.

The NFL didn't take them, customs did.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Manufacturing isn't the only cost in those jerseys, you realize? Yeah, Counterfeiters can sell cheaper. They don't pay any royalties to the players, teams, or league, they don't pay the designers, they don't pay any advertisers, and many of them don't pay any taxes.

If you don't want to pay $200 for a jersey, you don't have to. But don't pretend it's something that it's not.

Here's the point you are missing: we are not talking about a $20 or $30 price difference. We are talking about roughly $20 vs $100 on replica jerseys and $30 or $40 vs $225 for authentics.

Yeah, licensing fees and designs cost money. They don't justify a price increase of 5-10x. That's why I didn't say they could sell the jerseys at the same price as the counterfeiters. I said they could half their current prices and still make money.

I bought replicas when they were $50. I even bought them when they went to $65. I stopped when they went to $75 and I'm definitely out now that they're $100. Bring the price back to say, $60, and I'm back in. I'm sure that's true for a lot of people. And many of the people who are currently buying 1 for $100 would be willing to spend $120 and get two players, or maybe a home and away.

This is just the government helping the NFL and Nike increase their profit margin at the expense of the average consumer. It basically allows them to keep the prices of their products artificially high. And if you know anything about economics, there is a breaking point where increasing price reduces demand to the point where profit decreases. I don't have the numbers so I don't know for sure, but given the demand for counterfeit merch, I'm guessing the NFL is well past this point.

The whole thing is based on a faulty premise anyway. The stupid NFL thinks people want their jerseys so bad that they'll pay five times more for an official jersey than they would for a counterfeit one. Sorry, but a person's willingness to spend $20 on something doesn't mean they are willing to spend $100 on what is fundamentally the exact same product.

Mski
04-30-2013, 11:10 AM
there's very little customs or the NFL can do to stop a single consumer from purchasing things from an overseas online store, what all of these busts were from resellers based in the US, and those should be stopped. like when you go to a concert and theres the guys walking around outside selling the "tour" shirts for 1/2 price out of a garbage bag, and if you look close at them there's misspellings, i've even seen one for George Strait that had a picture of Tim McGraw on the front

Skooby
04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank God we're focusing on these items of life or death for the American public, versus those innocent Terrorist local & abroad that want to bomb our events. I don't know about you guys but I feel safer already.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Here's the point you are missing: we are not talking about a $20 or $30 price difference. We are talking about roughly $20 vs $100 on replica jerseys and $30 or $40 vs $225 for authentics.

And here's the point you are missing: The scope doesn't matter. As long is one product is cheaper, people will gravitate towards it.

Yeah, licensing fees and designs cost money. They don't justify a price increase of 5-10x. That's why I didn't say they could sell the jerseys at the same price as the counterfeiters. I said they could half their current prices and still make money.

And how much money are they "justified" in making? It's not like they are price gouging on water or food, it's an NFL jersey. It has no inherent value beyond what the NFL and the player have given it.

I bought replicas when they were $50. I even bought them when they went to $65. I stopped when they went to $75 and I'm definitely out now that they're $100. Bring the price back to say, $60, and I'm back in. I'm sure that's true for a lot of people. And many of the people who are currently buying 1 for $100 would be willing to spend $120 and get two players, or maybe a home and away.

You can find replicas all the time for $60. I have half a dozen replica jerseys and I didn't pay more than $25 for any of them. You just have to look at the right times in the right places.

This is just the government helping the NFL and Nike increase their profit margin at the expense of the average consumer. It basically allows them to keep the prices of their products artificially high.

That's what those trademarks and copyrights are for. The NFL and the players are the ones pumping value in to the product, so they can be the ones profiting from it. And you have to defend those trademarks and copyrights or you lose them.

And if you know anything about economics, there is a breaking point where increasing price reduces demand to the point where profit decreases. I don't have the numbers so I don't know for sure, but given the demand for counterfeit merch, I'm guessing the NFL is well past this point.

Again, some people will always take a cheaper option when it is presented. You're assuming the NFL/Nike/whomever are hurting themselves with their pricing, but who are you to save them from themselves?

The whole thing is based on a faulty premise anyway. The stupid NFL thinks people want their jerseys so bad that they'll pay five times more for an official jersey than they would for a counterfeit one. Sorry, but a person's willingness to spend $20 on something doesn't mean they are willing to spend $100 on what is fundamentally the exact same product.

It would seem that plenty are. They sell billions of dollars in merchandise every year.

Go ahead and counterfeit if you like, just don't pretend you are doing it for some principled stand.

- - - Updated - - -

there's very little customs or the NFL can do to stop a single consumer from purchasing things from an overseas online store, what all of these busts were from resellers based in the US, and those should be stopped. like when you go to a concert and theres the guys walking around outside selling the "tour" shirts for 1/2 price out of a garbage bag, and if you look close at them there's misspellings, i've even seen one for George Strait that had a picture of Tim McGraw on the front

That's awesome. I would actually pay more for that.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Thank God we're focusing on these items of life or death for the American public, versus those innocent Terrorist local & abroad that want to bomb our events. I don't know about you guys but I feel safer already.

Are public safety and enforcing trademark law mutually exclusive?

imbondz
04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
It's only cuz it's the billion dollar nfl that you are going after them in this case. Trademarks and copyrights are important and those who steal them should be shut down across the board. If this was a small business owner who someone had stolen their copyright and logo and were making money off of it you'd probably have a different thought about it. Integrity is integrity no matter how much money you're talking about.

Skooby
04-30-2013, 11:31 AM

Focusing resources to most pressing needs is the most important. The lost focus of our resources is why we're getting attacked in the first place.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 11:33 AM
And here's the point you are missing: The scope doesn't matter. As long is one product is cheaper, people will gravitate towards it.

And how much money are they "justified" in making? It's not like they are price gouging on water or food, it's an NFL jersey. It has no inherent value beyond what the NFL and the player have given it.

You can find replicas all the time for $60. I have half a dozen replica jerseys and I didn't pay more than $25 for any of them. You just have to look at the right times in the right places.

That's what those trademarks and copyrights are for. The NFL and the players are the ones pumping value in to the product, so they can be the ones profiting from it. And you have to defend those trademarks and copyrights or you lose them.

Again, some people will always take a cheaper option when it is presented. You're assuming the NFL/Nike/whomever are hurting themselves with their pricing, but who are you to save them from themselves?

It would seem that plenty are. They sell billions of dollars in merchandise every year.

Go ahead and counterfeit if you like, just don't pretend you are doing it for some principled stand.

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome. I would actually pay more for that.

For the record, I've never bought a counterfeit jersey, but I have nothing against it.

I just think the NFL has created this situation by overcharging.

And one one hand, you say the scope doesn't matter, but then you say that it's OK for prices to be artificially high on NFL jerseys because they aren't essential products for survival. What? If the scope truly doesn't matter, then artificially inflated prices are artificially inflated prices regardless of the actual product involved.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Maybe. Customs has limited resources to inspect the goods coming into this country and security experts have long worried about a dirty bomb coming into the country in a shipping container. Just imagine the blowback if customs has front-page news about busting a counterfeit football jersey ring and the next day a dirty bomb goes off in LA......

bf1
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
It's only cuz it's the billion dollar nfl that you are going after them in this case. Trademarks and copyrights are important and those who steal them should be shut down across the board. If this was a small business owner who someone had stolen their copyright and logo and were making money off of it you'd probably have a different thought about it. Integrity is integrity no matter how much money you're talking about.

I agree fully. But the NFL wouldn't have the issue if they didn't overcharge their customers/fans. I bet they break even on the cost of enforcement. They can eliminate that cost and pass the savings on to the customers. And get more sales by lowering it more.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I just think the NFL has created this situation by overcharging.

They are overcharging by your definition, but there are cheaper legal options which already exist. I could go into a local walmart and get a jersey for $30 or less. You can get last year's jerseys or retired ot traded players for much less. Here's a Steve Johnson for $40 (http://www.fansedge.com/Steve-Johnson-Royal-Reebok-NFL-Buffalo-Bills-Jersey-_-871648793_PD.html?utm_content=pla) I get emails from the Bills all the time about jersey sales and other junk.

If you want premium products, the latest designs and the newest players, then you are gonna pay more for it. That's true of any product, not just NFL merch.

And one one hand, you say the scope doesn't matter, but then you say that it's OK for prices to be artificially high on NFL jerseys because they aren't essential products for survival. What? If the scope truly doesn't matter, then artificially inflated prices are artificially inflated prices regardless of the actual product involved.

I said those two things because I was talking about two separate concepts. The scope of the discrepancy between the real and counterfeit is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's $5, $50, or $500, there will always be people who will pay the cheaper price. Go into a gamestop and they will be selling used copies of a game 6 inches away from a brand new copy for $5 less. And people will still buy them. World of Goo costs less then $5 and still has a piracy rate over 90%. Saying the NFL created this problem is just not true.

As for the "artificial" prices, the counterfeiters are the ones who are artificially low because they don't have to pay any of the fees or costs associated with making NFL products. They don't have to recoup any of the costs in giving that jersey value, they can just stitch it up and sell it. Demanding that the NFL compete on those terms is not sensible or realistic.

And I compared it to essentials because it shows how hollow the moral outrage really is. If they were gouging on an essential product then I could get onboard with it, but NFL merchandise is a luxury item by any definition.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Maybe. Customs has limited resources to inspect the goods coming into this country and security experts have long worried about a dirty bomb coming into the country in a shipping container. Just imagine the blowback if customs has front-page news about busting a counterfeit football jersey ring and the next day a dirty bomb goes off in LA......

And how do you think they are finding these counterfeit jerseys? By searching containers. If you want to increase the budget for port security I can get onboard with that, but the goals are not incompatible.

bf1
04-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Is counterfeiting wrong? Yes
Should it be illegal? Yes
Is playing whack a mole on foreign counterfeiters the best way to enforce? No
Has the NFL merchandise pricing model opened the door to counterfeiters? Yes

THRILLHO
04-30-2013, 12:14 PM
"Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise..."

Most of the people buying these jerseys know they are "counterfeit." That is the reason they are buying them. It's laughable that the NFL thinks of that as "preying on the excitement of the NFL" when really it is the NFL gouging on the excitement of the NFL.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
And how do you think they are finding these counterfeit jerseys? By searching containers. If you want to increase the budget for port security I can get onboard with that, but the goals are not incompatible.
Except that makes the faulty assumption that any potential security threat would be in the same container as the jerseys. It definitely won't be now that customs is all over the news talking about busting the counterfeiters.

OLDSRIP
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Its all about money! Has nothing to do with what's better for the nation that for sure. Campaign contributions, private suites and perks we can't even think of getting.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Except that makes the faulty assumption that any potential security threat would be in the same container as the jerseys. It definitely won't be now that customs is all over the news talking about busting the counterfeiters.

Who said they were in the same containers? It's not like sellers are putting "COUNTERFEIT NFL JERSEYS" on the shipping manifest. They have to open the containers to search them and find out what's inside, whether that be bombs, counterfeit jerseys, bags of heroin, or something perfectly legitimate and normal.

Mski
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
"Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise..."

Most of the people buying these jerseys know they are "counterfeit." That is the reason they are buying them. It's laughable that the NFL thinks of that as "preying on the excitement of the NFL" when really it is the NFL gouging on the excitement of the NFL.thats part of the problem i have with this... the NFL and govt agencies helping them make it sound like the consumers are purchasing these fakes with the idea that they are indeed legit merch, and thats simply not the case... ofcourse you do get the occasional shmuck who does, but they are by far in the majority

trapezeus
04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
honestly, the merchandise is so poorly made. There is no higher quality with the NFL material vs the counterfit. it's mesh for god's sake.

i hate that you can't even get a legit fleece in the nfl or nhl anymore. they are priced like a nice fleece jacket, but the quality is bottom feeder "snuggie" material. it's so cheap and generates so much electric cling that you can barely shake anyone's hands.

Where is the government to crack down on the monoply the NFL has and the crap quality they crank out. That's what the counterfeit enforcement is supposed to crack down on. When people put out a lesser quality product under the guise of being equal to the original and it sucks. But the nfl puts out the crap...they just want to maintain their government allowed monopoly to continue.

I get what Illuminati is saying, i just think the NFL has benefited from the monopoly to an absurd level that its offensive that they have the balls to go to the government and say, "help us out even more."

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 01:04 PM
I get what Illuminati is saying, i just think the NFL has benefited from the monopoly to an absurd level that its offensive that they have the balls to go to the government and say, "help us out even more."

There have been a bunch of legal attacks on the NFL's joint merchandising practices recently so it is entirely possible that you will see more competition enter the marketplace in the next few years.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2010/breaking-down-american-needle-case
https://www.easportslitigation.com/Home/FAQ

But the NFL didn't go to the government and say "Help us." The Government established this system of trademark and copyright laws and the NFL took advantage of it, just like every other sensible business with intellectual property. This isn't some government power grab, it's a specifically enumerated power in the Constitution.

The King
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
There have been a bunch of legal attacks on the NFL's joint merchandising practices recently so it is entirely possible that you will see more competition enter the marketplace in the next few years.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2010/breaking-down-american-needle-case
https://www.easportslitigation.com/Home/FAQ

But the NFL didn't go to the government and say "Help us." The Government established this system of trademark and copyright laws and the NFL took advantage of it, just like every other sensible business with intellectual property. This isn't some government power grab, it's a specifically enumerated power in the Constitution.

EA SPorts owes me $165 bucks!

But thats the thing they pay 12 million in fees when they're making billions on the monopoly.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
EA SPorts owes me $165 bucks!

But thats the thing they pay 12 million in fees when they're making billions on the monopoly.

So opt out of the class action and sue them.

All I'm saying is that if you don't like a company's business practices, don't patronize them. This outrage at "overcharging" is just fabricated because you don't want to pay that rate. I just find it doubly strange in the jersey market, because you're deliberately associating yourself with a pro athlete while simultaneously refusing to support them.

trapezeus
04-30-2013, 02:33 PM
and where is the louis vitton crack downs in china town? they are non-existent and they are openly flaunting their counterfitting.

but the NFL is pretty much online and straight from the warehouse.

i would like to see the licenses given to a few retailers and let them figure out where they want the price to be. so the nfl can make its money on the license, and the dealers will actually have to put those logos on nicer things because of some competition.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
and where is the louis vitton crack downs in china town? they are non-existent and they are openly flaunting their counterfitting.

What are you talking about?
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/07/city-councilwoman-seeks-crackdown-on-counterfeit-handbag-sellers-buyers/

People get away with it all the time. Just look how many counterfeit NFL jerseys you see at the next game, and how many sites get bandied around on here. That doesn't mean it's allowed.

but the NFL is pretty much online and straight from the warehouse.

i would like to see the licenses given to a few retailers and let them figure out where they want the price to be. so the nfl can make its money on the license, and the dealers will actually have to put those logos on nicer things because of some competition.

What do you mean? There are hundreds if not thousands of retailers for official NFL merch. Do you mean manufacturers?

Johnny Bugmenot
04-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Pssh.

Several of the NFL's team jerseys are so simple that they couldn't enforce a copyright or trademark on them if they wanted to. I mean, a white jersey with red numbers could be a 49ers jersey, a Giants jersey, a Cardinals throwback, etc. Now, not all of them are like that, but still, jersey design is not always protected by trademark.

Strongman
04-30-2013, 06:51 PM
I guess the US Government doesn't really believe in the free market. Maybe they should go after the NFL for price fixing.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Pssh.

Several of the NFL's team jerseys are so simple that they couldn't enforce a copyright or trademark on them if they wanted to. I mean, a white jersey with red numbers could be a 49ers jersey, a Giants jersey, a Cardinals throwback, etc. Now, not all of them are like that, but still, jersey design is not always protected by trademark.

They are completely covered in trademarks, what are you talking about?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPBgrYrefA_Q9yYbUp1bEq47zQzjxvEqPc6mc_-cljW5VCAY37

You've got the NFL shield on the collar, the "NY" just below it, the Nike on the sleeves, and the NFL/NFLPA/etc logos on the left hip.

The name "Manning" and the number 10 are closer to personality rights, but I think that it would be hard to convince a judge that it was anyone but Eli, especially since he's such a marketable public figure. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_rights#United_States)

So take off all those logos and the Manning name plate and you've got a white jersey with red stripes and the number 10. You might be able to duck a trademark lawsuit, but would you still even be able to sell them? http://www.dhgate.com/80-elite-white-road-american-football-jerseys/p-ff8080813acffe4d013ad04b9b980161.html#s1-13-1

BillsFever21
04-30-2013, 10:29 PM
I'll never forget the time one of my friends bought an authentic design counterfeit jersey from Ebay for about $40 and came to work showing off the great deal that he found. I told him it wasn't real and I already had a few Bills and Mets jerseys of the same kind.

He didn't believe me and pointed to the official NFL merchandise label on the ticket LOL. I told him that doesn't mean anything and they just copy that part too. I asked him if he really thought he could get a brand new authentic rookie jersey for $40 when they cost around $200 everywhere else? He still didn't believe me for the longest time even after I showed him articles about them on the internet.

Eventually he came to the realization they were fake when they didn't hold up very well but was still fine with it because it was more then 1/4 of the price of a real one and bought many other ones. That shows that there are SOME people out there who truly believes they are purchasing an authentic jersey and not a counterfeit one.

Then I know a couple other people who will only buy the authentic ones. Not because they don't believe in buying counterfeit goods they would rather spend the extra $150 just to have the feeling of knowing it's an official jersey and not a fake. It's not like these guys make a ton of money either but they just want the real ones and won't buy the fake ones ever. They will buy a couple NFL jerseys a year along with some other authentic sports jerseys too. One guy I know spends about a grand a year on them. That's just crazy and I'll take the fake ones over the $200 authentic ones that you can wear for a few years before the player turns out to be a bum or no longer on the team. Especially if you're a Bills fan that's even more likely to happen.

Historian
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
It's a money grab...plain and simple.

Historian
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Then I know a couple other people who will only buy the authentic ones. Not because they don't believe in buying counterfeit goods they would rather spend the extra $150 just to have the feeling of knowing it's an official jersey and not a fake. It's not like these guys make a ton of money either but they just want the real ones and won't buy the fake ones ever. They will buy a couple NFL jerseys a year along with some other authentic sports jerseys too.

Mikey.

Mike
05-02-2013, 05:32 AM
First, the counterfeits don't take American jobs because the real ones aren't made in America either.

Second, if the NFL doesn't want people to buy counterfeit merch, don't charge $100 for a replica jersey and $225 for an authentic, especially in a league where players are rarely on the same team for more than 4 or 5 years.

I know they have to make a profit, but the counterfeiters sell the authentics for roughly 1/10 the price of the official ones and still make money. They could easily slash those prices in half and still make a hefty profit.

Welcome to capitalism 101...
They will charge whatever people are willing to pay. Are the customers getting hosed? Absolutely
Will cheaper knock offs hit the market? Absolutely
Will the government stand up for corporate rights? Absolutely

Mike
05-02-2013, 05:48 AM

Overall very true, however some of those expenses are a bit skewed. They don't have to really pay designers as jerseys are already designed. Income does go to teams and players, but that alone is not enough to to make the end product 5x more expensive. What does add to the cost is the store fronts as they too have to make a profit. The retail stores in the end, add at least a 50% markup -and yes they have expenses to pay so their profit is far less.

All of this being said, you should be able to buy a jersey online cheaper, however the NFL still uses the MSRP weather in retail stores or online. The savings are not passed down. So, if you want to buy a jersey and support your community go to a retail store and buy one instead of ordering it from nfl.com

Lastly, there is an economical argument being made that trademarks and patents should be very limited in their scope and that more often than not, they act as an economic inhibitor. There is truth in this argument and certain items should have a limited intellectual property rights and the things that can be patented these days have even expanded to even vitamins! (see GB) All of this in the name of allowing companies to charge exorbitant prices while eliminating the competition, something that stifles both economic and technological advancement.

So for such items as jerseys, that last thing I want is my tax payer dollars to be used directly in fighting another un-winable war -counterfeit jerseys. Let the NFL fight this battle.

Extremebillsfan247
05-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Cracking down on counterfeiters and leveling churches to make way for a new multi-billion dollar stadium. How about that? This isn't the same NFL I grew up watching. JMO

Novacane
05-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Most of the people buying these jerseys know they are "counterfeit." That is the reason they are buying them. It's laughable that the NFL thinks of that as "preying on the excitement of the NFL" when really it is the NFL gouging on the excitement of the NFL.

That's my problem with the whole thing. They have every right to protect their trademarks but don't give me that garbage that you are doing it to protect the fans.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-02-2013, 08:58 AM
That's my problem with the whole thing. They have every right to protect their trademarks but don't give me that garbage that you are doing it to protect the fans.

That quote was from an ICE agent, not an NFL rep.

"Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise and stealing from the American businesses who have worked hard to build a trusted brand," said ICE director John Morton, in a statement. "The sale of counterfeit jerseys and other sports items undermines the legitimate economy, takes jobs away from Americans, and fuels crime overseas. No good comes of counterfeiting American products -- whether NFL jerseys, airbags, or pharmaceuticals -- and we must go after the criminals behind it."

BillsFever21
05-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't want my tax dollars being wasted to try and stop counterfeit jerseys. Just like with any illegal item like drugs, etc. they may take some off the street but there is plenty more that gets through and will continue to get through. If the NFL wants to try and stop the problem then let them pay a part of the costs that our government is spending to try and take them off the streets.

Items like the grossly overpriced prescriptions are different when it comes to counterfeiting. If somebody gets some fake medicine then it can kill them by not getting the real medicine they need or a bad batch that causes harm or death to their body. Buying some clothing, shoes or other items that are fake isn't going to change anybody's life for the better or worse if they end up with some fake stuff.

If these big companies want their taxes cut to the point where many of them isn't paying any at all or even getting tax refunds off their billions in earnings then they can help pay for the enforcement to protect their profits. Why should the average taxpayer have to pay more in taxes to try and help protect their profits. Their profits are privatized but their losses and the enforcement to protect their profits are socialized. It's the new age of the United States capitalism system.

I don't buy as many jerseys as I used to but whenever I do buy another one it definitely won't be an authentic one for a couple hundred dollars or so. It's not taking away American jobs since they're all made overseas where they can pay somebody several dollars a day to work in a sweatshop. All it does is increase the American companies profits but there isn't anymore jobs in the USA created from it and most of the money stays overseas anyway.

On the flipside of my earlier post I also know some people who make well over 6 figures a year and even one person I know who was married to my aunt and was worth millions but they still won't waste $200+ on an authentic jersey and will still buy the fake ones. I wouldn't care if I made millions either I still wouldn't pay it either.