• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

NFL Cracking Down on Counterfeiters

The NFL, in cooperation with government authorities, announced on Thursday that it had seized a record $13.6 million in counterfeit NFL merchandise this season in a nationwide enforcement effort called "Operation Red Zone."

The NFL, in cooperation with government authorities, announced on Thursday that it had seized a record $13.6 million worth of counterfeit NFL merchandise this season in a nationwide enforcement effort called "Operation Red Zone."
    That total included a bust in Warwick, R.I., in September, when the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations, with an assist from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Postal Inspection Service, seized 226 boxes containing 4,016 counterfeit jerseys. It also includes 160,000 Super Bowl-related pieces of memorabilia discovered in recent days.
    "Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise and stealing from the American businesses who have worked hard to build a trusted brand," said ICE director John Morton, in a statement. "The sale of counterfeit jerseys and other sports items undermines the legitimate economy, takes jobs away from Americans, and fuels crime overseas. No good comes of counterfeiting American products -- whether NFL jerseys, airbags, or pharmaceuticals -- and we must go after the criminals behind it."
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: NFL Cracking Down on Counterfitters

"whether NFL jerseys, airbags, or pharmaceuticals -- and we must go after the criminals behind it."

One of these things is not like the other.

Comment

• HAMMER
      I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
      • Jul 2003

Two summers ago I had a box of 60 jerseys confiscated by customs. Received a nice letter with threats of fines, etc. I shut that down very quickly, they are serious.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

First, the counterfeits don't take American jobs because the real ones aren't made in America either.

Second, if the NFL doesn't want people to buy counterfeit merch, don't charge $100 for a replica jersey and $225 for an authentic, especially in a league where players are rarely on the same team for more than 4 or 5 years.

I know they have to make a profit, but the counterfeiters sell the authentics for roughly 1/10 the price of the official ones and still make money. They could easily slash those prices in half and still make a hefty profit.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

Rather than go after counter fitters, why not competitively price? We know they're being made in the same conditions. Why would I pay 200$ when I can get an almost identical piece for 35$
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

"Organized criminals are preying on that excitement, ripping consumers off with counterfeit merchandise and stealing from the American businesses who have worked hard to build a trusted brand," said ICE director John Morton, in a statement. "The sale of counterfeit jerseys and other sports items undermines the legitimate economy, takes jobs away from Americans, and fuels crime overseas.
            Unfortunately the Officially Licensed NFL jerseys are all made overseas anyway, in most cases from the same manufacturers who are making the "counterfeit" jerseys. So the consumers are actually getting ripped off not by the counterfeiters but by the NFL for having to pay 10x the price for "official licensed" products.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by The King View Post
              Rather than go after counter fitters, why not competitively price? We know they're being made in the same conditions. Why would I pay 200$ when I can get an almost identical piece for 35$
              Once I saw Godell was being paid 29 Mil, I stopped worrying about NFL income.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

You mean use free market capitalism instead of state authority to sell goods? Why would anyone want to do that?
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

All of us pretty much said the same thing.

Comment

• bf1
                    • Oct 2010

Exactly. The last I checked replicas were $99. They are pricing themselves out. They should compete with the counterfeiters. I'd be willing to bet that most fans would spend $20 more to avoid the overseas order. Not $60+.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by bf1 View Post
                      Exactly. The last I checked replicas were $99. They are pricing themselves out. They should compete with the counterfeiters. I'd be willing to bet that most fans would spend $20 more to avoid the overseas order. Not $60+.
                      "Authentics" are being sold from China at $25. I would gladly pay $50 for it from the US, but not $225.

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

Its also hard to feel bad for organizations that are made up of about 100 millionaires and at least 1 billionaire.
                        It was all

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

counterfeiters

Comment

• bf1
                            • Oct 2010

Re: NFL Cracking Down on Counterfeiters

I don't think I've bought one piece of licensed merchandise for any sport in about 10 years.

Comment

• The King
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
                              Two summers ago I had a box of 60 jerseys confiscated by customs. Received a nice letter with threats of fines, etc. I shut that down very quickly, they are serious.

IMO I have no problem with them stopping people trying to make a profit on them, but hopefully they'll leave the households alone.
                              It was all

Comment

Working...
                              X