PDA

View Full Version : I'll forgive a lot of Darcy's sins if...

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 09:19 AM
He can find a trading partner for Drew Stafford.

I don't even care what kind of value he gets in return. Just dump the salary and free up the cap space. He's exactly the type of complacent underachiever that needs to be kept as far away as possible from the young guys like Grigs, Flynn and Porter.

I realize Stafford has very little trade value and this would be difficult to pull off, which is why I'd give Darcy a ton of credit for pulling it off.

Conversely, Ville Leino needs to be bought out. This is a no-brainer. If Leino is still on the roster when training camp starts, that alone should be grounds for firing Regier.

Skooby
04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
I agree on all points.

The King
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
How do you guys feel about Erhoff?

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Keep Ehrhoff. He's not the greatest but he's the only vet stay-at-home defenseman we have at the moment.

Mski
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Keep Ehrhoff. He's not the greatest but he's the only vet stay-at-home defenseman we have at the moment.

he is anything but a stay at home defenseman... he's a puck mover/point guy... Webber is our best stay home dman

Mski
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
back to the OP, im not upset stafford wasnt moved, and agree with your criticism of him being an under achiever, all said and done his contract isnt that bad, and for as much as even i like to complain about his play, its still above journeyman level. i think with stronger leadership in the organization and the locker room, or a few players who arent afraid of telling their teammates whats up ie: ott and porter (yes the rookie). his stats may not improve, but his consistancy might

as for leino, i still like him, i think he was in the dog house with Lindy from day 1, and wouldnt strive under his "f offense everyone has to stay back and defend" system.. i think he can be a good playmaker when healthy (which he wasnt at any time this year)

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
he is anything but a stay at home defenseman... he's a puck mover/point guy... Webber is our best stay home dman
Dammit, I think I was thinking of Regher, who's already gone. I always get those two confused, probably because they were acquired at the same time.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
back to the OP, im not upset stafford wasnt moved, and agree with your criticism of him being an under achiever, all said and done his contract isnt that bad, and for as much as even i like to complain about his play, its still above journeyman level. i think with stronger leadership in the organization and the locker room, or a few players who arent afraid of telling their teammates whats up ie: ott and porter (yes the rookie). his stats may not improve, but his consistancy might

as for leino, i still like him, i think he was in the dog house with Lindy from day 1, and wouldnt strive under his "f offense everyone has to stay back and defend" system.. i think he can be a good playmaker when healthy (which he wasnt at any time this year)

Leino was in Rolston's doghouse too. He was a healthy scratch on a team hurting for goals. That doesn't say much,

As far as stafford, I understand why he wasn't moved at the deadline: easier said than done. But with more time in the off-season, I hope Darcy can figure it out. This guy's just been too flat for too long. He's a third liner at best, and he had a season with Ott and Porter (granted, a shortened one) and it made no difference.

Dude
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Darcy will never be fired. The Sabres are run by a bunch of idiots, including Terry Pegula. How that man ever made as much money as he did is beyond me.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
And btw it's depressing that we Buffalo fans are yet again discussing possible off-season moves right as the playoffs are about to start.

Mski
04-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Leino was in Rolston's doghouse too. He was a healthy scratch on a team hurting for goals. That doesn't say much its come out that when he came back out of the lineup, it was actually due to a punctured lung, and i personally dont think his hip was ever close to back to where it should have been

As far as stafford, I understand why he wasn't moved at the deadline: easier said than done. But with more time in the off-season, I hope Darcy can figure it out. This guy's just been too flat for too long. He's a third liner at best, and he had a season with Ott and Porter (granted, a shortened one) and it made no difference. I think it did make a difference, i think he was a much better player after Lindy was gone, and Porter came up, and continued to improve thru the end of the year... however i agree that he may not be much more then a 3rd liner

trapezeus
04-30-2013, 11:21 AM

i get your point about Leino, but you only get this amnesty buyout this year. You kind of have to take this opportunity and let him go. he was given his chance. he didn't do anything. i guarantee you the sabres can be in the running at a much lower cost for his services to see if he has something in him. i can't imagine other teams looking at the past two years as a reason to sign him for any reason.

Mski
04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
i get your point about Leino, but you only get this amnesty buyout this year. You kind of have to take this opportunity and let him go. he was given his chance. he didn't do anything. i guarantee you the sabres can be in the running at a much lower cost for his services to see if he has something in him. i can't imagine other teams looking at the past two years as a reason to sign him for any reason.
they have next offseason too:idunno:

swiper
04-30-2013, 12:29 PM

ROFLMAO. Do you actually watch hockey? Understand it? Ehrhoff is the opposite of that.

OpIv37
04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
ROFLMAO. Do you actually watch hockey? Understand it? Ehrhoff is the opposite of that.

I just said I confused him with Regher.

And yes, I saw probably 40 of the 48 games this year.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Darcy will never be fired. The Sabres are run by a bunch of idiots, including Terry Pegula. How that man ever made as much money as he did is beyond me.Pure luck. What everyone thought were minor natural-gas wells in much of Pennsylvania when Pegula bought them turned out to be the much more productive Marcellus shales, and since he had already secured drilling rights, he became a billionaire.

Too bad he doesn't have a clue how to actually win a Stanley Cup.

clumping platelets
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Stafford + 2nd rd pick for late 1st rd...........good enough for me

I suspect Leino will be here one more season

I'm predicting Miller to Chicago for Leddy and Bolland

Vanek's market is tougher to gauge........I'd love to send him to the Jets for Bogosian straight up. I believe he's bff's with Wheeler

chernobylwraiths
05-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Regier will never get a pass from me. Every good thing he has done is eclipsed with two bad things he has done. He has been given too many excuses already.

rbochan
05-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Leino was brought in to replace Connolly. And replace Connolly he has...

I don't want the guy who has built our teams over the past 16 years, under almost every imaginable circumstance, to do yet ANOTHER rebuild. As of right now, ownership does. If that's the case, I will either keep harping on Darcy being the GM or I will not care about their product. I've already stopped watching games on TV/online. I only follow them online and in the box scores anymore. I want them to lose every game until Darcy is fired.

I do not own the team, but unlike owners, players and management, I have been emotionally invested in the Sabres for decades, and God willing, will be for a few more. But as long as Darcy is the GM, I have 0% hope that he will be able to assemble a championship caliber team.

Skooby
05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
I saw probably 40 of the 48 games this year.

You have my sympathy.

OpIv37
05-01-2013, 07:02 AM
You have my sympathy.

Yeah CI was definitely the worst use of $60 in my recent memory. I should have just thrown it out the car window on MLK in Baltimore- at least then, one of the bums would have found it and had himself a great weekend of crack and booze.

chernobylwraiths
05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Leino was brought in to replace Connolly. And replace Connolly he has...

I don't want the guy who has built our teams over the past 16 years, under almost every imaginable circumstance, to do yet ANOTHER rebuild. As of right now, ownership does. If that's the case, I will either keep harping on Darcy being the GM or I will not care about their product. I've already stopped watching games on TV/online. I only follow them online and in the box scores anymore. I want them to lose every game until Darcy is fired.

I do not own the team, but unlike owners, players and management, I have been emotionally invested in the Sabres for decades, and God willing, will be for a few more. But as long as Darcy is the GM, I have 0% hope that he will be able to assemble a championship caliber team.

Over the last few weeks, while watching games, I would be thankful when a team we were playing was losing and tied it up or scored a go ahead goal. When questioned why I would cheer against my team I told my family that I want there to be no reason why ownership would keep Darcy. I said that if they won a little and showed the barest glimse of promise that they might retain him. And now they have.

I just don't understand why a person would keep the guy who has rebuilt the team a couple of times into a team that can barely make the playoffs another chance to do it again.

trapezeus
05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
didn't know the amnesty was 2 years. i thought i read it was a 1 year only kind of thing.

Mski
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
didn't know the amnesty was 2 years. i thought i read it was a 1 year only kind of thing.
i am not sure exaqctly how it works, but i remember them talking about it in january that they had two offseasons and two buy outs, not sure if the two "offseasons" were the short one before this season started and this summer, or this summer and next

OpIv37
05-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but NHL radio on XM made it sound like the two chances for buyouts were before the shortened season (and Gomez and I believe one other player did get bought out) and this coming off-season.

So, I'm pretty sure that it's now or never on buying out Leino.

PTI
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but NHL radio on XM made it sound like the two chances for buyouts were before the shortened season (and Gomez and I believe one other player did get bought out) and this coming off-season.

So, I'm pretty sure that it's now or never on buying out Leino.

That turd is going to be a good 3rd line player for the Bruins!!! That would suck!

SabreEleven
05-02-2013, 01:25 PM
That turd is going to be a good 3rd line player for the Bruins!!! That would suck!

He probably wouldn't even be able to crack the Bruins lineup.

Skooby
05-03-2013, 06:41 AM

What do you think King ??