PDA

View Full Version : Why E.J. Manuel Was the Best Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft

oldno711
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
not sure if this dude is a huge Buffalo fan (doesn't mention the Bills in his profile...although he does list the comeback and the 'pain felt by oilers fans everywhere' as his most unbreakable sports record), but this article fired me up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621734-why-ej-manuel-was-the-best-pick-in-the-2013-nfl-draft (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621734-why-ej-manuel-was-the-best-pick-in-the-2013-nfl-draft)

'The Bills made their decision, and it was a franchise-defining decision. Most importantly, they couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. Manuel was their guy, and they went and got him.'

'...It shows fortitude on the side of the organization and says a number about how Manuel compared to Ryan Nassib as a QB prospect in their system. The Bills could have "reached" in the same way for Nassib, a much "safer" player. A much more "Bills are settling for being mediocre and taking the easy way" player.'

'The Bills did not take easy way. They chose how they would be designing their destiny, and the design was for plans greater than just bringing in a guy who knows how to run the system. While comfortable, that is short-sighted and wrong.'

'After all, everyone knows they could have easily been short-sighted and wrong. Taking Ryan Nassib at No. 8 made all the sense in the world. Taking Nassib, their golden boy from Syracuse, at No. 16 after trading down and gaining extra picks made even more sense.'

'Bills fans should be overjoyed that people are in place who said they wanted to take the best player for their system—even when it wasn't easy. They saw in Manuel what anyone who has been close to him during this draft process has seen:

1) He has elite physical tools. Size, speed, arm and accuracy.

2) He has intellect. In an offense that has long been touted to "make things easy" on a smart QB, the player needs to be sharp as a tack to operate in it. The player makes it "easy," it doesn't just come that way.

3) Manuel seems to have "it." Find me one person who has spoken with E.J. Manuel about the game of football who has not come away impressed, and I will show a person who is simply never impressed. NFL scout or average Joe. Manuel just has a way about him.'

love the pick -- GO BILLS!!!

The King
04-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Nice find!

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I dont think its as bad of a pick as the draftniks say it is, but I still dont think it was the best pick at that spot.

That being said, I am excited about the potential and godforsaken hope he pans out!!!

Albany,n.y.
04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
3) Manuel seems to have "it." Find me one person who has spoken with E.J. Manuel about the game of football who has not come away impressed, and I will show a person who is simply never impressed. NFL scout or average Joe. Manuel just has a way about him.'

[/I][/B]love the pick -- GO BILLS!!!
Mel Kiper & Todd McShay after he spent as many hours with them as he did with the Bills.

Oh that's right, he didn't spend time with Kiper & McShay like he did with the Bills.

DynaPaul
05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Bleacher Report is a good site. It comes up with nice articles on my Bills News mobile app all the time.

Mski
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I dont think its as bad of a pick as the draftniks say it is, but I still dont think it was the best pick at that spot.

That being said, I am excited about the potential and godforsaken hope he pans out!!!
That is/was the biggest gripe about the Spiller pick a few years ago, and look how that's turning out

SCBILLFAN1
05-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I love the hype for Manuel and Lord knows I want him to succeed. The best part to this draft is the wr's. I think they are going to make this team fun to watch again.
Woods is the best route runner I've seen in a long time. Two burners outside and two giants inside. Imagine the schemes they came up with.
The d is set up with a dime package and Freddy crushes them. They go to a basic and CJ (our nuclear weapon) kills the lb's outside on a screen.

Ingtar33
05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
That is/was the biggest gripe about the Spiller pick a few years ago, and look how that's turning out

no.. the biggest gripe about the spiller pick was we had 2 1000 yard backs, including one drafted in round 1 just 3 years prior on the roster.

Bill Cody
05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Manuel could easily become the best pick in this draft- QB's are that important and Manuel has star potential. He could also easily become one of the worst, he also has bust potential. Having said this I like the pick, showed a lot of balls. Check back on this thread in a couple years.

Don't Panic
05-02-2013, 11:34 AM
This is the best kool-aid I've tasted in a looong time.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-03-2013, 06:38 AM
And it could easily take the Spiller time for EJ to be where Spiller is today.