PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith fires agents

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9228319/geno-smith-new-york-jets-fires-agents

Welcome VY/Jamarcus/Akili/Leaf V5.0.

BillsU
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
yep it was the agents fault...of course it was...

MidnightVoice
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/218638-Geno-Smith-fires-agent-after-draft

:D

coastal
04-30-2013, 03:23 PM
what a ****ing cry baby

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 03:27 PM
They didn't prepare him well, I don't blame him.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/218638-Geno-Smith-fires-agent-after-draft

:D

Sorry about that!

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
They didn't prepare him well, I don't blame him.

Prepare him well for what? The chance that anyone not a top 5 grade has a chance to fall? He needs to grow up and own his own immaturity. He should fire himself.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Prepare him well for what? The chance that anyone not a top 5 grade has a chance to fall? He needs to grow up and own his own immaturity. He should fire himself.

They advised him to sit out the Senior Bowl and that turned out to be a catastrophic mistake. If I hired someone to give me advice and it blew up in my face, I'd fire them too. The agents are the ones that are supposed to be guiding him through this pre-draft process. They're the ones who have done it before, after all.

The King
04-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Geno tried to be honest and address every critique of himself, a noble approach in theory. What resulted was the kid being bombarded with questions about inconsistencies and not being NFL ready, he spent all his time in the media talking about the negatives and it took a toll. What you were left with was a beaten shell that has no confidence and he'll need to be groomed from the ground up.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
They advised him to sit out the Senior Bowl and that turned out to be a catastrophic mistake. If I hired someone to give me advice and it blew up in my face, I'd fire them too. The agents are the ones that are supposed to be guiding him through this pre-draft process. They're the ones who have done it before, after all.

If he went to the senior bowl and played outside of the spread offense, he might have dropped to the 4th round. What is catastrophic is the kids immaturity and that is what will make him a bust.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
If he went to the senior bowl and played outside of the spread offense, he might have dropped to the 4th round. What is catastrophic is the kids immaturity and that is what will make him a bust.

Or he might have played his way into the first round. Buffalo (and several other teams) clearly value the Senior Bowl because they get to work with the players all week and see how they practice. The combine is just a stock set of throws and the pro days is scripted. It's the agent's job to know this and to steer his client correctly. If he needed instruction to prepare for the senior bowl, they should have given it to him.

But you're missing the point. Clearly Smith went to New York convinced he was a first round pick. If they agents told him that, they clearly misread the teams dramatically and that would convince me to fire them straightaway. They gave him the wrong advice and they gave him the wrong expectations. That's bad representation in any field.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
But you're missing the point. Clearly Smith went to New York convinced he was a first round pick. If they agents told him that, they clearly misread the teams dramatically and that would convince me to fire them straightaway. They gave him the wrong advice and they gave him the wrong expectations. That's bad representation in any field.

Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about.

LMFAO, I'm an attorney. I represent clients. If I gave my client advice and expectations like this and it blew up in his face, then he'd fire me and he should fire me.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2013, 04:09 PM
He was clearly given bad advice and has lost faith in his trusted advisers.

What else should he do except fire them?

Mouldsie
04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Geno is not a bad character guy..... his agent has failed already by making people believe that somehow

JoeMama
04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
LMFAO, I'm an attorney. I represent clients. If I gave my client advice and expectations like this and it blew up in his face, then he'd fire me and he should fire me.

Yeah, but sports agents sell kids on their own hype, no matter how unchecked.

I mean, we all saw Drew Rosenhaus telling a roomful of reporters that Willis McGahee was ready to play in 2003 despite his catastrophic knee injury. Sports agents are paid to be totally full of ****. It's part of the business.

Realistically Geno Smith's free-fall happened because of an inconsistent highlight reel, not his choice of sports agents.

I'm never going to side with sports agents in a dispute, but Smith does seem disconnected from reality if he thinks his free-fall was solely a marketing problem.

CoolBreeze
04-30-2013, 04:17 PM
If I was his agent I wouldn't have given him the satisfaction of firing me. As soon as he got on that stage and guaranteed playoffs when he's a 2ND ROUND PICK, and a JET. lol I would have walked slowly off the stage and out of Radio City Music Hall. Simply saying "Screw this, I rather manage Bray"

trapezeus
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
so the new agents will get the commission on the signing of the contract? and they did nothing. are they going to represent him any better?

i'd stick with who got you there....of course because you ultimately selected those people from your original options.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah, but sports agents sell kids on their own hype, no matter how unchecked.

I mean, we all saw Drew Rosenhaus telling a roomful of reporters that Willis McGahee was ready to play in 2003 despite his catastrophic knee injury. Sports agents are paid to be totally full of ****. It's part of the business.

Realistically Geno Smith's free-fall happened because of an inconsistent highlight reel, not his choice of sports agents.

I'm never going to side with sports agents in a dispute, but Smith does seem disconnected from reality if he thinks his free-fall was solely a marketing problem.

You never, never ever, lie to your clients. If you think he's a 2nd round pick and you convince him he's a 1st rounder, then you deserve to be fired because you didn't manage his expectations. They never should have let him go to New York and sit in the green room then and put him in a position to be humiliated on camera. Plenty of first rounders hold draft parties in their hometown, I remember Sanchez doing it and he was invited to NEw York as well.

The only other alternative is that they legitimately thought he was a first rounder, in which case they badly misread the situation.

Now, given that they were either misleading him or grossly mistaken, if you were Smith under which of those scenarios would you want this agency negotiating on your behalf?

coastal
04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
This isn't the agents fault.

Hes a big boy... A QB at that... You know... da man!

between his draft day pouting in his hands, to not gonna show to the second day fiasco... To now firing his agent?

anyone else disappointed we took EJ over this clown?

JohnnyGold
04-30-2013, 04:25 PM
LMFAO, I'm an attorney.

BOOM. head shot.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 04:26 PM

My problem with what you said is that you are positioning it as fact.

If you are an attorney you should spend more time with the "what is" and less on trying to market your conjecture as fact.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 04:31 PM
My problem with what you said is that you are positioning it as fact.

If you are an attorney you should spend more time with the "what is" and less on trying to market your conjecture as fact.

So he didn't go sit in the NFL Draft green room thinking he was a first rounder?

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 04:32 PM
So he didn't go sit in the NFL Draft green room thinking he was a first rounder?

Is this how you represent your clients? Assuming you know what is going on in someone else's mind with little to base it on?

JoeMama
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
You never, never ever, lie to your clients. If you think he's a 2nd round pick and you convince him he's a 1st rounder, then you deserve to be fired because you didn't manage his expectations. They never should have let him go to New York and sit in the green room then and put him in a position to be humiliated on camera. Plenty of first rounders hold draft parties in their hometown, I remember Sanchez doing it and he was invited to NEw York as well.

The only other alternative is that they legitimately thought he was a first rounder, in which case they badly misread the situation.

Now, given that they were either misleading him or grossly mistaken, if you were Smith under which of those scenarios would you want this agency negotiating on your behalf?

Understand, we're in total agreement that agents shouldn't lie to their clients.

It's not my objection that Smith was wrong to fire his agents. Maybe they're grossly incompetent. Maybe they falsely promised him the sun, moon, and stars. Both sound about right.

My objection is that sports agents are paid to be snakes and liars. And I'm guessing Smith learned that the hard way on Thursday night.

Never trust people who are trying to extract money from you.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
I'll add to this, you are basing all of your assumptions on the certainty that NFL agents sign on clients by first projecting their order in the draft. Doesn't this seem a bit odd to you? As an attorney of course.

coastal
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
One QB handled the predraft process like a professional.

one didn't.

we drafted the one with the big boy pants on.

JoeMama
04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
One QB handled the predraft process like a professional.

one didn't.

we drafted the one with the big boy pants on.

Yeah but to be fair, but it's easier to comport yourself like a pro when you skyrocket from a 4th round prospect to the 16th overall pick in a matter of months.

Not when you drop from potential first overall pick all the way to the second round. Even Aaron Rodgers had a pained expression when he dropped so far in the draft and he's the epitome of a pro.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Is this how you represent your clients? Assuming you know what is going on in someone else's mind with little to base it on?

Lets walk through this

1) He was projected as a first rounder by nearly every draft expert
2) He was offered and accepted an invitation to the first round of the NFL draft
3) He accepted it
4) He was visibly shaken by not being picked
5) When all the teams that were likely candidates to pick a QB had gone, he left
6) He initially told reporters that he intended to return home and not return for Day 2 (https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/327640196927598592), before reversing himself later (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/west-virginia-qb-geno-smith-attend-day-two-144751380.html)
7) It's been reported by multiple sources that Smith thought he would be a top pick (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/04/30/quarterback-geno-smith-fire-agents-after-nfl-draft/2124113/ http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/30/geno-smith-nfl-draft-fires-agent/)

So yeah, I think it's a pretty logical conclusion that he thought he was a first round pick.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Lets walk through this

2) He was offered and accepted an invitation to the first round of the NFL draft
3) He accepted it
4) He was visibly shaken by not being picked
5) When all the teams that were likely candidates to pick a QB had gone, he left
6) He initially told reporters that he intended to return home and not return for Day 2 (https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/327640196927598592), before reversing himself later (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/west-virginia-qb-geno-smith-attend-day-two-144751380.html)
7) It's been reported by multiple sources that Smith thought he would be a top pick (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/04/30/quarterback-geno-smith-fire-agents-after-nfl-draft/2124113/ http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/30/geno-smith-nfl-draft-fires-agent/)

So yeah, I think it's a pretty logical conclusion that he thought he was a first round pick.

I don't disagree with anything you said. But nothing you just stated, 1-7, had anything do do with his representation.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I'll add to this, you are basing all of your assumptions on the certainty that NFL agents sign on clients by first projecting their order in the draft. Doesn't this seem a bit odd to you? As an attorney of course.

You think that isn't foremost on everyone's mind? Of course they discussed his draft prospects, that's why he hired an agent. That's their job, fer crying out loud. What exactly do you think agents do with prospects?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't disagree with anything you said. But nothing you just stated, 1-7, had anything do do with his representation.

It absolutely does, you hire an agent to guide you through the pre-draft process. One that either blows smoke up your butt or hangs you out to dry on ESPN deserves to get fired.

coastal
04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah but to be fair, but it's easier to comport yourself like a pro when you skyrocket from a 4th round prospect to the 16th overall pick in a matter of months.

Not when you drop from potential first overall pick all the way to the second round. Even Aaron Rodgers had a pained expression when he dropped so far in the draft and he's the epitome of a pro.
Why is it easier?

I might argue that it's different based on projections.. Doesn't automatically equate because of that to "easier"?

EJ handled himself in the spotlight of the predraft process like a pro.

Geno's handled it from day 1 like a ***** and sacking his agent is just another step in his his miserable failure.

He will make a great Jet.

Night Train
04-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Anyone see him on Grudens QB interviews ? He was borderline ******ed and couldn't remember plays.

Manuel couldn't have come across better and Gruden loved him.

BidsJr
04-30-2013, 04:55 PM
You think that isn't foremost on everyone's mind? Of course they discussed his draft prospects, that's why he hired an agent. That's their job, fer crying out loud. What exactly do you think agents do with prospects?

- - - Updated - - -

It absolutely does, you hire an agent to guide you through the pre-draft process. One that either blows smoke up your butt or hangs you out to dry on ESPN deserves to get fired.

So how does: Any of this have anything to do with his agents?

3) He accepted it

Why is it the agents fault that he didn't make the experts projections? The NFL send out invites according to projections.

How do you have any idea what the pitch was to him, what guidance he received, if he actually followed the instructions given, any of it? Fact is you don't and neither do I. But what I can say, is he has a history and reputation of being immature. This being another example.

JoeMama
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Why is it easier?

I might argue that it's different based on projections.. Doesn't automatically equate because of that to "easier"?

EJ handled himself in the spotlight of the predraft process like a pro.

Geno's handled it from day 1 like a ***** and sacking his agent is just another step in his his miserable failure.

He will make a great Jet.

Because people tend to react negatively to disappointment? Because draft position carries financial implications involving millions of dollars?

It's definitely easier for me to put on a brave face when things are going my way.

I obviously can't relate to the "dilemma" presented by making 10mil as a first rounder vs making 3mil as a second rounder. But I do understand that it's harder to mask disappointment than it is to celebrate good fortune.

Novacane
04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
So glad we didn't pick this *****

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
So how does: Any of this have anything to do with his agents?

3) He accepted it

Why is it the agents fault that he didn't make the experts projections? The NFL send out invites according to projections.

It's not the agent's fault he was projected highly, it's the agent's fault they let him walk into that room convinced he was going in the first and being so visibly crushed when he wasn't. They had four months to prepare him for that moment and failed.

How do you have any idea what the pitch was to him, what guidance he received, if he actually followed the instructions given, any of it? Fact is you don't and neither do I. But what I can say, is he has a history and reputation of being immature. This being another example.

That's a separate question. Skipping the Senior Bowl is the mark of a prospect who's concerned he can only hurt his draft stock there. That turned out to be a big mistake.

For example, you are referring to his "history and reputation" for being immature. What is one of the things people cite to make that claim? The fact that he skipped the Senior Bowl.

swiper
04-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Whatever is going on behind the scenes we may never know. At least the Bills dodged that bullet.

swiper
04-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Please tell us you don't have an alias that starts with a Literate and ends with a Stylish or another alias AKA as Michael.

Ed
04-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I like it when pro athletes fire their agents. It's a good reminder of who's actually in charge. Too many guys act like they have to do whatever their agents say and get taken advantage of.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Please tell us you don't have an alias that starts with a Literate and ends with a Stylish or another alias AKA as Michael.

Oh good god no. You should have seen some of the arguments we got into whenever that clown pretended to know law.

swiper
04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
FWIW Michael swore up and down that he wasn't Literate Stylish until he got outted. Just sayin'. :;

jimmifli
04-30-2013, 05:46 PM
FWIW Michael swore up and down that he wasn't Literate Stylish until he got outted. Just sayin'. :;
Who is/was Michael?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-30-2013, 05:47 PM

Michael admitted being Lit?

cookie G
04-30-2013, 06:12 PM
This isn't the agents fault.

Hes a big boy... A QB at that... You know... da man!

between his draft day pouting in his hands, to not gonna show to the second day fiasco... To now firing his agent?

anyone else disappointed we took EJ over this clown?

Pretty much agree. Not so much the pouting in his hands...if you saw Aaron Rodgers on his draft day, it looked like he was going to cry.

Geno denied that firing his agent had to do with draft day...maybe yes, maybe no. Well, its done.

The big thing is, he can't dwell on his draft position, except as using it for motivation. He's got a ton of things to learn, like every other rookie QB in the NFL.

He needs to concentrate on that.

RedEyE
04-30-2013, 06:32 PM
I will wait for the product on the field before passing judgement. You never know what goes on behind the scenes and instigates such decisions. Who knows? Maybe they tried running a train on his mother?

Night Train
04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
If his agent sent him out onstage in that gay white polo sweater, then I CAN understand the firing.

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/2/75/4495346/156187-225-169.jpg

coastal
04-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Because people tend to react negatively to disappointment? Because draft position carries financial implications involving millions of dollars?

It's definitely easier for me to put on a brave face when things are going my way.

I obviously can't relate to the "dilemma" presented by making 10mil as a first rounder vs making 3mil as a second rounder. But I do understand that it's harder to mask disappointment than it is to celebrate good fortune.
So it's all about the pressure of expectation?

coastal
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
He's got a ton of things to learn, like every other rookie QB in the NFL.

He needs to concentrate on that.
Agreed.

EJ in comparison came in saying he wants to learn from Kolb and TJax... two guys that have been in the league. He even sounded sincere.

in comparison, Geno is pipe dreaming playoffs.

i'll take the reality based rook.

Mouldsie
04-30-2013, 08:00 PM
If I was his agent I wouldn't have given him the satisfaction of firing me. As soon as he got on that stage and guaranteed playoffs when he's a 2ND ROUND PICK, and a JET. lol I would have walked slowly off the stage and out of Radio City Music Hall. Simply saying "Screw this, I rather manage Bray"
Really?

ublinkwescore
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Didnt the Ryan Leaf/Peyton Manning saga kinda start out like this? with Leaf making some questionable choices and Peyton Manning drawing either praise or @ the very least, NO negative attention to himself?

Mouldsie
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
You know that if Geno Smith becomes a good player then all of this history will be revised to show he is a fiery competitor like a Kobe Bryant

ublinkwescore
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
You know that if Geno Smith becomes a good player then all of this history will be revised to show he is a fiery competitor like a Kobe Bryant

Oh God, NOOOO!

Mouldsie
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Dont worry, he will bust.

1) He's on the Jets
2) He's not a WCO fit.

ublinkwescore
04-30-2013, 08:47 PM
I just want to see Manuel not be a bust. If Manuel is successful and Smith is a bust, that's just icing on the cake. Of course in that case the metaphor could be extra lube for the anus... because we will be raping the jets.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to see Manuel not be a bust. If Manuel is successful and Smith is a bust, that's just icing on the cake. Of course in that case the metaphor could be extra lube for the anus... because we will be raping the jets.

JoeMama
05-01-2013, 02:14 AM
So it's all about the pressure of expectation?

I don't know how it is for Geno Smith.

But that's definitely how it works for me.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sNOX7RbpTe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamze132
05-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Or he might have played his way into the first round. Buffalo (and several other teams) clearly value the Senior Bowl because they get to work with the players all week and see how they practice. The combine is just a stock set of throws and the pro days is scripted. It's the agent's job to know this and to steer his client correctly. If he needed instruction to prepare for the senior bowl, they should have given it to him.

Although I agree that his agents steered him down the wrong path, it's not their fault he slid. Every major draft outlet had Geno in RD1.

chernobylwraiths
05-01-2013, 05:40 AM
am I right in seeing people feeling sorry for the agents?

DraftBoy
05-01-2013, 06:11 AM

Happens every year. Its not a bit odd.

DraftBoy
05-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Two things are quite clear in this thread;
1. Many, many people do not work directly with clients nor do they understand how that relationship functions
2. Even less people have any idea how many agents get fired after the draft for poorly projecting draft placement this is an EXTREMELY common happening its just not widely reported because traditionally nobody cares

better days
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM

- - - Updated - - -

The Cherry on top is he is a Jet.

trapezeus
05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
regardless of agent/player relationships, here is a guy who

1. didn't look good in big games.
2. came to the draft and then let the situation shake him when other players have dealt with the same drop with more class.
3. threatened to not show up
4. then fired his agents for reasons he can't discuss.

if it was just one thing, you can overlook it. but it's kind of a pattern of being unable to handle adversity and being willing to put it on someone else.

the whole thing just seems very vince young-ish in his second season when he took zero responsibility for anything that was going wrong.

even if EJ busts, i'll feel bad for him. Whereas, right now, i'm rooting for Geno to fail in a spectacular manner.

Historian
05-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Dude's taken at the top of the second round, and he's STILL pouting and running off at the mouth.

He will fit in perfectly on the Jets...another malcontent for the zoo.

Mouldsie
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I wish I knew why Geno Smith is the only player to fire his agent on black Monday and how you guys were so lucky to have followed him around during the whole process and have first hand knowledge of their relationship. Tips for those of us who want in?

trapezeus
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
the bills have won. typically we have the first qb to be the bust in their class. this time Geno is the first to bust out in his class.

with an uncertain coaching situation and a win now approach, and having sanchez who is too fraile to handle it. geno is going ot be thrown out there way too early. and for the 8 games he has to play in a hostile jets stadium, he may very well top the butt fumble. which as of now, is perhaps the strangest play i've ever seen.

i just hope geno's butt fumble is against the bills.

justasportsfan
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM

2. came to the draft and then let the situation shake him when other players have dealt with the same drop with more class.

if it was just one thing, you can overlook it. but it's kind of a pattern of being unable to handle adversity and being willing to put it on someone else.

the whole thing just seems very vince young-ish in his second season when he took zero responsibility for anything that was going wrong.

even if EJ busts, i'll feel bad for him. Whereas, right now, i'm rooting for Geno to fail in a spectacular manner.

should you be singing praises for Russ for not taking Geno then?

:snicker:

JoeMama
05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Dude's taken at the top of the second round, and he's STILL pouting and running off at the mouth.

He will fit in perfectly on the Jets...another malcontent for the zoo.

That's an awesome phrase and I'm stealing it for use in real life as if I thought it up. Thank you!

madness
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."
Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.
"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

Mouldsie
05-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Thats a report I can respect. Scouts and coaches that met with him

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-01-2013, 09:53 PM
It is absolutely stunning that geno would be texting friends and checking twitter in the middle of team interviews.

Mike
05-02-2013, 05:22 AM
"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

Everyone interprets each player differently. Some may take his actions one way, others another. In this case, if this is just one GMs take on Geno, than that is all it is. If this is the consensus, that he has something to work on and often when faced with the adversity of failure -as most young QBs are- he may realize that he does not know it all at which point he can begin learning.

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.
"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

I get that same vibe from him. As if he is not really interested in interacting. If I had to guess, I would say that Geno is an introvert. Lack of engagement shows a lack of interest which is even worst and even though I don't see him as a leader, other introverts have proven otherwise.

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

On this level, I do see how EJ is better. He comes across as more likable, charismatic, and engaging. I can see how other players will want to be around him. On the same token, EJ lacks in other areas and neither of these QBs is 'special' at this point in their development.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

Mike
05-02-2013, 05:25 AM
the bills have won. typically we have the first qb to be the bust in their class. this time Geno is the first to bust out in his class.

with an uncertain coaching situation and a win now approach, and having sanchez who is too fraile to handle it. geno is going ot be thrown out there way too early. and for the 8 games he has to play in a hostile jets stadium, he may very well top the butt fumble. which as of now, is perhaps the strangest play i've ever seen.

i just hope geno's butt fumble is against the bills.

You guys are amazing, how you can speak out of both sides of your mouth and be convinced of two seeming contradictions. When the EJ pick gets blasted by every expert you defend it and argue that you have no idea what the future will be and on the other hand you say 'the bills have won'. You can not have it both ways. They have actually won nothing, and at this point they fail in both respects: 1) actually know one knows which players will be best and its up to future thus no one has won 2) 20/20 hindsight says we picked the wrong QB at 16.

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth. :goodpost:
I just hate the way he pouts when he's not drafted, then has that cocky-ass walk on stage when his name was called. This is a me guy.

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2013, 08:47 AM

LOVING this.

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity..

Geno Smith's firing of agents, pre-draft actions shed light on why QB may have dropped

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

"Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said.

I'm liking the EJ selection more and more.

Novacane
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
NY is the worst place for a crybaby like Smith to end up.....................or the best place if you're a Bills fan :lmao: They will eat him alive in NY!

trapezeus
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
should you be singing praises for Russ for not taking Geno then?

:snicker:

because an armchair fan could see that geno was a disaster waiting to happen and for the first time they agree with our concensus after years of maybins and leodis's and other dumb ass pick? nope.

if EJ is excellent and they manage to put a good team around him that can make the team relevant again, i'll say they finally got it right.

but like geno, their mistakes in isolation aren't the worst things in the world. its the fact they consistently make these mistakes that makes them bad at their gigs.

trapezeus
05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
You guys are amazing, how you can speak out of both sides of your mouth and be convinced of two seeming contradictions. When the EJ pick gets blasted by every expert you defend it and argue that you have no idea what the future will be and on the other hand you say 'the bills have won'. You can not have it both ways. They have actually won nothing, and at this point they fail in both respects: 1) actually know one knows which players will be best and its up to future thus no one has won 2) 20/20 hindsight says we picked the wrong QB at 16.

my post was a joke. i was just saying that even if EJ is a bust, he wasn't won before TC. That is unlike Geno who is pretty much a bust as of 1 week after the draft.

i never defended the ej pick. after day 1, i said it was odd that he came out of no where, but that at least he's athletic and smart. he has a long ways to go, but he's not just the smart qb or just hte big arm qb. so i see the upside. i didn't like that they took him early. I even said that day, "we have to wait til day 2 to see if we really reached. if JAx takes a QB and cardinals take a qb, then it was a good selection because there is no guarantee that manuel would be there.

and with no qb going til round 3, we could have had him with pick 41. so we lost the value bit.

but we probably wouldn't have had this kind of promise in our receiving corp because i doubt woods would have lasted very long.

so now we just have to play the waiting game. the bills need to hit on like 50% of this draft if they want a quick turnaround.

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 11:54 AM
because an armchair fan could see that geno was a disaster waiting to happen and for the first time they agree with our concensus after years of maybins and leodis's and other dumb ass pick? nope.

if EJ is excellent and they manage to put a good team around him that can make the team relevant again, i'll say they finally got it right.

but like geno, their mistakes in isolation aren't the worst things in the world. its the fact they consistently make these mistakes that makes them bad at their gigs. doesn't matter. If you're blaming Russ for all that went wrong, you should be blaming him for what went right no matter how big or small.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-02-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't normally like to thank Justa but I Justa had to this time

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
I don't normally like to thank Justa

i hate you too :mad:

Bill Cody
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

:jawdrop:

trapezeus
05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
doesn't matter. If you're blaming Russ for all that went wrong, you should be blaming him for what went right no matter how big or small.

that makes no sense. a guy fails continuously and he might have selected the second worst quarterback from the draft, and we are supposed to be proud that's an improvement?

the guy hasn't taken responsibility for any of his errors. he blames someone else and says he's moving on. and then he doesn't deliver on any of those promises of leaving no stone left unturned. God, Russ Brandon sounds like Geno Smith.

Saratoga Slim
05-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Wow. That explains a lot!

BidsJr
05-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Wow. That explains a lot!

Huh weird, didn't take an attorney to figure that out.

WagonCircler
05-03-2013, 02:33 AM

I heard Jim Rome talking about an article that had Geno texting while being interviewed by NFL teams. The guy sounds like a total ass wipe.

On the other hand, EJ, from every report I've seen and from listening to him talk, almost seems too good to be true. His attitude is as impressive as his talent.

If he can learn to read NFL Defenses, he's going to be a Pro Bowler, and Geno will be the next Jets bust. In a few years, Jets fans will be wishing they still had Sanchez.

swiper
05-03-2013, 04:50 AM
What happened to him on the first day of the draft was the picture of a guy buying into his own pre-draft hype. It's funny how this all comes out after the draft. Seems the real insiders already knew about it.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-03-2013, 06:25 AM
i hate you too :mad:
Justa goofin with ya Justa :)

trapezeus
05-03-2013, 07:30 AM
What happened to him on the first day of the draft was the picture of a guy buying into his own pre-draft hype. It's funny how this all comes out after the draft. Seems the real insiders already knew about it.

it's interesting that the insiders see all this before the draft and then don't dish on the details pre-draft. Which i find really kind of amazing restraint. if jason cole (writer of that article) knew before hand that geno smith was universally getting a low grade from GM's, it's amazing he didn't sink that kid pre draft. instead he let it play out as is.

and this has to happen a number of times where the character of a person isn't bad enough to get them in trouble with the law, but shows they are just not ready to handle the big time.

justasportsfan
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
that makes no sense. a guy fails continuously and he might have selected the second worst quarterback from the draft, and we are supposed to be proud that's an improvement?

the guy hasn't taken responsibility for any of his errors. he blames someone else and says he's moving on. and then he doesn't deliver on any of those promises of leaving no stone left unturned. God, Russ Brandon sounds like Geno Smith.

I am not arguing whether EJ will be good or not. Just simply saying that for all the negatives you talk about Geno, it's a good thing that "russ" didn't take him and you should be singing praises since you keep implying that Russ makes all the decisions.

It's already been determined straight from the horses mouth that NIx made the palyer/personnel calls. You can get rid of all your sources now just like Mitch should drop his. You're both guessing.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-03-2013, 09:38 AM

http://deadspin.com/why-did-geno-smith-really-fire-his-agents-486231452

We spoke to a person close to Geno Smith, because while a player switching agencies isn't unique, it's often done for interesting reasons. Our source says that while Select Sports "absolutely told Geno he'd go No. 1," that was at the beginning of their partnership, and it's par for the course for agents to promise their clients the world. Smith is less bothered by that promise, the person says, than by Nalley and Burkhardt attempting to portray it as the sole reason for his move.
Smith, we're told, was more upset that Select Sports handled him like a potential high pick, failing to do the sorts of things that could have improved his draft position. Our source says Smith wanted to take part in the Senior Bowl, a showcase for talent looking to move up, but his agents convinced him to skip it. When Pro Football Weekly (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports) issued a scathing scouting report, calling Smith "not committed or focused" and deriding his "marginal work ethic," Smith was disappointed that his agents did nothing to combat the negative press it created, our source says.
Our source—and, remember, this is someone from Smith's camp talking—claims Smith came to terms with his potential draft plunge weeks before the draft, and takes the blame for not being as polished a prospect as he could have been, both on and off the field. We openly speculated on some of the pre-draft preparation an agent gives a player (http://deadspin.com/after-falling-to-the-second-round-geno-smith-fires-his-486061264), but the person close to Smith says he didn't make his call based on that, or on not going No. 1. "He just felt like he needed a change, and that's the end of the story," the person says. Which means it's clearly just the beginning.

Believe the anonymous source you want to believe, but it's obvious that agent-athlete relationship went sideways.

Mouldsie
05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Have to be cautious of reports with "anonymous sources/scouts/etc" like this that come out after an agent is fired.

Saratoga Slim
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM

LOL. Although ironically I am also an attorney.

Also, when I say it explains a lot, I'm referring to it explaining a lot regarding a guy with Smith's talent and production didn't go in the first round (as opposed to commenting at all on why Geno fired his agents). Perfect example of why guys like McShay and Kiper aren't really getting the full picture on many of these prospects . . . film doesn't tell the whole story about a guy.

Mr. Miyagi
05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
LOL. Although ironically I am also an attorney.
I didn't know we had so many lawyers posting here.

Are you guys billing your message board time to your clients?

trapezeus
05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I am not arguing whether EJ will be good or not. Just simply saying that for all the negatives you talk about Geno, it's a good thing that "russ" didn't take him and you should be singing praises since you keep implying that Russ makes all the decisions.

It's already been determined straight from the horses mouth that NIx made the palyer/personnel calls. You can get rid of all your sources now just like Mitch should drop his. You're both guessing.

i've never claimed to have sources. i'm just saying at the end of the day, a CEO or a smithers to the owner of a team has a lot of influence on the people who are in the organization. and if he lets marv's and buddy's and himself make calls that smarter football guys should be making, he should take the negative that comes with that.

this isn't exactly a stretch to think that this is how it has worked.

you are the one who is ok listening to the PR and then assume that he just sits in his office and figures out marketing in a silo.

justasportsfan
05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
i've never claimed to have sources. i'm just saying at the end of the day, a CEO or a smithers to the owner of a team has a lot of influence on the people who are in the organization. and if he lets marv's and buddy's and himself make calls that smarter football guys should be making, he should take the negative that comes with that.

this isn't exactly a stretch to think that this is how it has worked.

you are the one who is ok listening to the PR and then assume that he just sits in his office and figures out marketing in a silo.
He may be Smithers to the owner when it came to marketing. Not player personnel.
This is the first time he is the CEO.Russ publicly stated he didn't make football decisions and let the football guys make them. So it is a stretch to think he whispers in Ralphs ears who to hire and who to draft.

trapezeus
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
oh wow, it says that today that the history is different than the actuality? Russ has had his hands in this since he was first named GM. there is zero chance that he just went back to marketing as Ralph's darling.

He knows next to nothing about football and has been given extreme credit for marketing the very product that the area is intoxicated with.

Russ needed to leave the bills in a total overhaul with Jauron. But he's been here 3 more years being part of a draft that picked a qb too early....took WR in a OL/LB/DT draft....all things we could use because we let some of our own go. And he let his GM pick yet another kicker.

If you honestly think a loser like Russ is bringing in better talent and will get different results, more power to you.

i'm again left hoping for an unusual outcome in the hopes the bills can be relevant. but seeing that you seem to be friends and or family with russ, please pass on my request to have him step down from any association with the bills.

justasportsfan
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
oh wow, it says that today that the history is different than the actuality? Russ has had his hands in this since he was first named GM. there is zero chance that he just went back to marketing as Ralph's darling.

He knows next to nothing about football and has been given extreme credit for marketing the very product that the area is intoxicated with.

Russ needed to leave the bills in a total overhaul with Jauron. But he's been here 3 more years being part of a draft that picked a qb too early....took WR in a OL/LB/DT draft....all things we could use because we let some of our own go. And he let his GM pick yet another kicker.

If you honestly think a loser like Russ is bringing in better talent and will get different results, more power to you.

i'm again left hoping for an unusual outcome in the hopes the bills can be relevant. but seeing that you seem to be friends and or family with russ, please pass on my request to have him step down from any association with the bills.

I edited my post while you were replying sorry. Russ didn't make player hire or draft decisions. But if you insist he did, then I'm saying you should give him credit for not drafting Geno. A player you are blasting.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Russ-Brandon-I%E2%80%99m-very-pleased-with-what%E2%80%99s-been-done-to-date/5cbca3cc-e68e-430d-8eb4-9df1542cdda3

trapezeus
05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
but everyone was against drafting geno. very few people wanted him. i certainly did not. so by doing what was so obvious is hardly worth giving him credit for.

if the bills somehow seem like a deep team two years from now and are in the hunt for the playoffs, i'll gladly say that i'm happy that he finally got it and put a winner on the field. and i'll say i really didn't think he had it in him and now that he's done that much, i am wrong and he is right.

i also would have liked to be in the bills organization for 13 years getting promoted for no reason what soever as i learned how to become a gm while killing the collective spirit of a big fanbase.

Joe Fo Sho
05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
but everyone was against drafting geno. very few people wanted him. i certainly did not. so by doing what was so obvious is hardly worth giving him credit for.

So by this logic, Al Davis is credited with drafting JaMarcus Russell, but no one gets credit for Andrew Luck? Do you give Polian credit for drafting Peyton Manning?

cookie G
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Have to be cautious of reports with "anonymous sources/scouts/etc" like this that come out after an agent is fired.

Cautious..doesn't mean its true, doesn't mean its not. I just remember when the Narwoki evaluation came out, I saw NFL.com that night. Charles Davis was with him at a QB camp the summer before. He said he wasn't texting through meetings or anything like that. In fact, he said he was the only QB that actually took a notebook into the film room, and it was full when he left.

I doubt he's the charasmatic figure that many others are.

I just think he needs to move on from where he was drafted and hit the field.

MORE IMPORTANTLY.....I hope EJ is ready to hit the field, and the film room, and prove to the skeptics that he's an NFL QB .

He's the Bill now.

Saratoga Slim
05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I didn't know we had so many lawyers posting here.

Are you guys billing your message board time to your clients?

"online research."

trapezeus
05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
how can you compare russ to polian. polian was successful in 3 towns over his entire career. he started losing it at the end because his son was joined at his hip and reportedly making a lot of decisions.

so a guy like that gets the benefit of the doubt.

when you fail repeatedly, continued failure is judged harsher than a person who tries and succeeds and has a set back here and there.

swiper
05-03-2013, 04:43 PM
How come Brandon has a job, Polian's son has a job (Jax), and Bill's outta of a job? You'd think if Polian, who said he's interested in still working, could generate some interest from the bottom third of the league. Why did the Jets hire Idzik and not Polian?

WagonCircler
05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
How come Brandon has a job, Polian's son has a job (Jax), and Bill's outta of a job? You'd think if Polian, who said he's interested in still working, could generate some interest from the bottom third of the league. Why did the Jets hire Idzik and not Polian?

Wow.

Just...

wow.

Breathtaking, anneurism-inducing stupidity.

You've got to go the extra mile for this kind of stupid.

Seriously. This is NASCAR 200 MPH into the wall head injury stupidity.

Saratoga Slim
05-03-2013, 07:12 PM

You think Polian wants to work for the Jets? I don't think I even want to work for the Jets.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 1px; border: medium none; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/335175162775355393

#Jets (https://twitter.com/search/%23Jets) CB Dee Milliner parted ways with Impact Sports after failing to be selected in the top 5. Story on @nfl (https://twitter.com/nfl).com. First Geno, now Milliner

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 16, 2013 (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/335175162775355393)
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BidsJr
05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 1px; border: medium none; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/335175162775355393

#Jets (https://twitter.com/search/%23Jets) CB Dee Milliner parted ways with Impact Sports after failing to be selected in the top 5. Story on @nfl (https://twitter.com/nfl).com. First Geno, now Milliner

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 16, 2013 (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/335175162775355393)
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lol. Still at it.

trapezeus
05-17-2013, 12:36 PM
wasn't it reported that he was hurt in the last couple weeks leading up to the draft?

also for polian discussion above, he is an old guy who expects a certain payout. and it's a not a guarantee that he will get it done. look at these guys after 60 YO. Parcells, etc, these guys bail after 2-3 years. its a little hard to maintain a long term vision with the chance they'll bail and tell you that their son is the man for the job.

i'm just saying, its worth picking his brain on a consulting basis to see what he believes.