X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Geno Smith fires agents

Four days after a humbling fall out of the first round, New York Jets draft pick Geno Smith responded by firing his agents.

Welcome VY/Jamarcus/Akili/Leaf V5.0.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • BillsU
    • Jan 2013

Re: Geno Smith fires agents

yep it was the agents fault...of course it was...

Comment

• MidnightVoice
      Retired (mostly)
      • Mar 2003

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165513/article/geno-smith-reportedly-fires-reps-after-fall-to-ny-jets Geno Smith's draft fall to the New York Jets has claimed a victim other than Tim Tebow: Smith's agency. Liz Mullen of Sports Business Journal reports that Smith fired Select Sports, the agency representing him

But to play
      that’s the thing
      shut up and deal
      ~ Jesse May

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

what a ****ing cry baby

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

They didn't prepare him well, I don't blame him.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BidsJr
            • Sep 2002

Sorry about that!
            "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• BidsJr
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              They didn't prepare him well, I don't blame him.
              Prepare him well for what? The chance that anyone not a top 5 grade has a chance to fall? He needs to grow up and own his own immaturity. He should fire himself.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
                Prepare him well for what? The chance that anyone not a top 5 grade has a chance to fall? He needs to grow up and own his own immaturity. He should fire himself.
                They advised him to sit out the Senior Bowl and that turned out to be a catastrophic mistake. If I hired someone to give me advice and it blew up in my face, I'd fire them too. The agents are the ones that are supposed to be guiding him through this pre-draft process. They're the ones who have done it before, after all.

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Geno tried to be honest and address every critique of himself, a noble approach in theory. What resulted was the kid being bombarded with questions about inconsistencies and not being NFL ready, he spent all his time in the media talking about the negatives and it took a toll. What you were left with was a beaten shell that has no confidence and he'll need to be groomed from the ground up.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BidsJr
                    • Sep 2002

They advised him to sit out the Senior Bowl and that turned out to be a catastrophic mistake. If I hired someone to give me advice and it blew up in my face, I'd fire them too. The agents are the ones that are supposed to be guiding him through this pre-draft process. They're the ones who have done it before, after all.

If he went to the senior bowl and played outside of the spread offense, he might have dropped to the 4th round. What is catastrophic is the kids immaturity and that is what will make him a bust.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

If he went to the senior bowl and played outside of the spread offense, he might have dropped to the 4th round. What is catastrophic is the kids immaturity and that is what will make him a bust.
                      Or he might have played his way into the first round. Buffalo (and several other teams) clearly value the Senior Bowl because they get to work with the players all week and see how they practice. The combine is just a stock set of throws and the pro days is scripted. It's the agent's job to know this and to steer his client correctly. If he needed instruction to prepare for the senior bowl, they should have given it to him.

But you're missing the point. Clearly Smith went to New York convinced he was a first round pick. If they agents told him that, they clearly misread the teams dramatically and that would convince me to fire them straightaway. They gave him the wrong advice and they gave him the wrong expectations. That's bad representation in any field.

Comment

• BidsJr
                        • Sep 2002

But you're missing the point. Clearly Smith went to New York convinced he was a first round pick. If they agents told him that, they clearly misread the teams dramatically and that would convince me to fire them straightaway. They gave him the wrong advice and they gave him the wrong expectations. That's bad representation in any field.
                        Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about.
                          LMFAO, I'm an attorney. I represent clients. If I gave my client advice and expectations like this and it blew up in his face, then he'd fire me and he should fire me.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

He was clearly given bad advice and has lost faith in his trusted advisers.

What else should he do except fire them?

Comment

• Mouldsie
                              • Aug 2012

Geno is not a bad character guy..... his agent has failed already by making people believe that somehow

Comment

Working...
                              X