PDA

View Full Version : Sal's comments at GR

BigZ
05-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Very nice article:http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-12-things-I-think-about-the-Bills/16228457

Night Train
05-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Sal is a good egg and a great listen on the radio. Top shelf in my book.

His #2 point aboout Dareus at NT. Don't see it. He should be a DE next to NT Alan Branch.

His Kyle Williams thoughts. I wonder where he fits. If Mario WIlliams is still seen as a DE in a 3-4, then Kyle WIlliams isn't on the field much. Plus those ongoing foot issues. His status still needs to be figured out.

Don't assume UDFA Rogers is a lock at WR yet. He's going to get a paycheck now and may lose his mind. Needs to prove he's grown up, focusing on football and not acting like an idiot.

Skooby
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Kyle has a motor, he'll be on that field.

OpIv37
05-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Good insights from Sal as usual.

DraftBoy
05-01-2013, 07:07 AM

His #2 point aboout Dareus at NT. Don't see it. He should be a DE next to NT Alan Branch.

His Kyle Williams thoughts. I wonder where he fits. If Mario WIlliams is still seen as a DE in a 3-4, then Kyle WIlliams isn't on the field much. Plus those ongoing foot issues. His status still needs to be figured out.

Don't assume UDFA Rogers is a lock at WR yet. He's going to get a paycheck now and may lose his mind. Needs to prove he's grown up, focusing on football and not acting like an idiot.

Marcel played some NT at Bama pretty successfully before coming to the NFL. He's still best at the 5 tech on the edge imo.

I agree I'm not sure where you see Kyle Williams at this point, he's not going to play NT like he did previously or if he is its going to be on a rotation with Alan Branch. Williams should see plenty of snaps but will he be a starter? Who knows.

I think Rogers is at the top spot to make the team as any of our WR's are (beyond Woods) but don't count out WR Brandon Kaufman from EWU. He's got the size and hands of Nelson with better athleticism. Both players could make the team and force a veteran like Brad Smith (or maybe even TJ Graham) to be sent packing.

DraftBoy
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
The one position I'm really excited about is CB, we have our top three in Gilmore, Leodis, and Brooks but behind them is wide open and I really like both Kearney and Rolle who were brought in as UDFA's. Kearney is a BIG CB. He's 6'1, 189 lbs and runs low 4.4's. He was coached by former Bills CB Derek Burroughs at Lane and our DB Coach is one of the best in the biz in Donnie Henderson.

Kearney was a huge hit at the Raycom All-Star Classic this year impressing scouts with his size, athleticism, and playmaking ability.
His Pro Day Numbers:
40-4.45
20-2.42
10-1.48
Vertical-32"
Broad-9'11"
SS-4.41
3 Cone-7.20

Rolle is an interesting prospect because all he did was make plays at Catawba. He had 16 career INT's with 6 of them coming this past season. That goes along with his 35 career pass breakups. He's an aggressive CB who likes to hit and get involved in the running game. He's a little smaller at 5'11, 186 but he's quite athletic.

His Pro Day numbers:
40-4.51
20-2.59
10-1.53
Vertical-35 1/2"
Broad-10'03"
SS-4.13
3 Cone-6.77

Rolle also blocked four kicks last year on ST.

Skooby
05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
I think Rogers is at the top spot to make the team as any of our WR's are (beyond Woods) but don't count out WR Brandon Kaufman from EWU. He's got the size and hands of Nelson with better athleticism. Both players could make the team and force a veteran like Brad Smith (or maybe even TJ Graham) to be sent packing.

Brad Smith is out as a WR & a QB, so he looks to be gone.

mjt328
05-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Marcel played some NT at Bama pretty successfully before coming to the NFL. He's still best at the 5 tech on the edge imo.

I agree I'm not sure where you see Kyle Williams at this point, he's not going to play NT like he did previously or if he is its going to be on a rotation with Alan Branch. Williams should see plenty of snaps but will he be a starter? Who knows.

Based on everything I've heard from Nix and Marrone, I think our defensive starters are going to be all over the place.

Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams are very similar players, and both are very versatile. In 4-3 packages, I think they will remain in pretty much the same spots as last year. In a 3-4, I think they will spend most of their time as defensive ends (with Alan Branch/Torrell Troup as the nose tackle on heavy packages) - but both could also slide inside and man nose tackle on obvious passing downs.

tatersalad
05-01-2013, 08:26 AM
it will be interesting to see no doubt

justasportsfan
05-01-2013, 08:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised that if Kyle doesn't play lights out at camp, he could be traded.

MTBillsFan
05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Please dump Brad Smith! Also, with the D being a hybrid of 4-3 and 3-4, Kyle and Dareus will probably stay conventional DT's that's why Branch was brought in to be the NT in the 3-4 set.

EDS
05-01-2013, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't be surprised that if Kyle doesn't play lights out at camp, he could be traded.

Yes, absolutely, trade away one of the few decent defenisve players the Bills have . . .

justasportsfan
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Yes, absolutely, trade away one of the few decent defenisve players the Bills have . . .

I love KYle but if he doesn't play like a pro bowler under the new scheme, might as well try and get something for him rather than lose him like Levitre for nothing.

I'm pulling for him though and I have no doubt he'll always be the player to give 150%

NOT THE DUDE...
05-01-2013, 11:24 AM
watt plays 34 de, so im sure pettine will find ways to help dareus use his skill set

DraftBoy
05-01-2013, 11:24 AM
watt plays 34 de, so im sure pettine will find ways to help dareus use his skill set
How do either of those two things have anything to do with each other?

GingerP
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I love KYle but if he doesn't play like a pro bowler under the new scheme, might as well try and get something for him rather than lose him like Levitre for nothing.

He is under contract through 2017. I don't think losing him to FA is a concern.

Lexwhat
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Great article from Coach Sal, as usual! Enjoyed reading it! I share most of the same thoughts as him...

Sal Point 1) I don't think Manuel will win the starting job right away, and I see Kolb earning the job to start the season... Here's my logic: We are playing the Patriots Week 1. I know the Bills would *LOVE* to be 1-0 after week 1, and beating the Patriots at Home would really set the tone for Doug Marrone and the new-look Bills. The players will really buy into the system going forward... IMHO, Kolb gives us a better chance to win in Week 1. If Manuel plays poorly and the Bills get destroyed at Home against a division rival, I think it could really hurt his confidence. I think it's putting too much pressure on Manuel to keep pace with the Patriots Offense in his first game -- not a single scout / analyst describes him as "NFL-ready" right now.

Sal Points 4 and 5) I stated in another pre-Draft thread that Fred Jackson quietly had the WORST season of his career last year. His yards per carry was under 4.0 (3.8 to be exact) for the first time in his career. He only averaged more than 4.0 yards per carry in 3 games last season... Meanwhile, behind the same Offensive line, CJ Spiller had amongst the highest yards per carry in the history of the NFL... Fred's yards per reception was the lowest of his career.
And Tashard Choice? That guy is less dynamic than Dick Jauron's personality. He brings absolutely nothing to the table that any other RB couldn't bring... I was really hoping we would draft Eddie Lacy as a complement to CJ Spiller, but I imagine the Bills will end up drafting a RB next season.

Sal Point 8) The TE position is razor thin now, and an already slow TE (Chandler) will probably be even slower and less shifty coming off his injury. Not much is to be expected from a 7th Rounder... We unsuccessfully tried to sign Fred Davis, who is better than anyone on our current roster. Along with RB, I feel we will address this position in next year's draft.

Sal Point 10) Agreed about Guard Zack Chibane -- I noticed he was the only Syracuse player we picked up. I think he, at the minimum, makes it to the Practice Squad.

Sal Point 11) We only really have 1 CB worth a damn (Gilmore). I never liked Leodis and I still don't. I guess this guy knew he was in a contract year and played hard last year, but he gave up so many big plays. The CB position really worries me, and is the biggest liability on our team.

SCBILLFAN1
05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I agree with all of Sals concerns. I think Manuel should not start the season. Kolb when healthy and protected is a good QB. Tavaris can run the same offense they want Manuel to run. He can scramble and throw. Let Manuel soak up the offense on the sidelines.

The shortage of TE's is apparent but I expect the Bills to run a lot of 4 wr sets with CJ in the backfield. Man that will be fun to watch. Woods runs great routes. The kid from Texas will scream down the field and we'll have two BIG wr's in Johnson and Rogers running slants. Just when you think there's a pass, play action goes to CJ and he's gone.

jamze132
05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
How do either of those two things have anything to do with each other?

Some asteroids have more carbon while others have more metals. Just sayin'...

psubills62
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Good article.

Sal, you're killing me though. It's "complement," not "compliment."

Number 10 brought to mind something I had said before the draft. If Marrone brings in a bunch of Syracuse players, that wouldn't bode well and would make me lose a lot of respect for him as a coach. I don't know if it's actually a credit or not (since most coaches end up not bringing in their own players from college), but I'm glad we didn't see the advent of Syracuse West on the roster.

cookie G
05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Based on everything I've heard from Nix and Marrone, I think our defensive starters are going to be all over the place.

From Pettine's initial press conference...and man, I really hope he keeps to this. If it works, he can call it a Jeet Kune Do defense, for all I care:

Pettine addressed the question of a 3-4 vs. 4-3 defense.

“The answer is really yes to both,” Pettine said. “We’ll be a multiple front, multiple coverage defense. The trademark of our defense is we’re going to be smart, tough and relentless. How we configure it is more player-driven. I’ve always believed that you don’t fit your players to your scheme, but you fit your scheme to your players.”

“We want defensive players who are tough and get after it, and, at the same time, play smart football.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130110/SPORTS/130119873

Smart
Relentless
Tough

He used those terms twice in less than a minute.

On Playing Smart

"When you're not playing the defense that you're in properly, when you're not doing your job -- whoever that may be, all of us -- guys like that can hurt you and make plays," Williams said. "The guy goes 85 yards or whatever it was one time, untouched. It was as basic a counter-kick play as it gets, just take the ball and go down the field.
"That happened a lot of times. That can't happen. That's ridiculous."

~Kyle Williams after the Tennessee game:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/10/talent-what-talent-kyle-williams-blasts-bills-defensive-play.html

On Playing Relentless

"You watch film and not everybody was playing hard every snap. And that's unacceptable," Kelsay said. "It's a blessing to be in this league. And then to go out there and lay an egg, there's no excuses for it."

~Chris Kelsay after the Tennessee game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8539258/chris-kelsay-buffalo-bills-questions-teammates-effort-loss-tennessee-titans

On Playing Tough

Talley on the Bills' defensive line:

"I thought they would be carried by their front, and they have not been. They paid a whole lot of money for two guys to rush the passer. The guys on the inside, they're holding their own. They're doing everything they can do.
"I asked Bruce [Smith] early in the season. I've said, 'Dude, what do you think me and you would be doing right about now if we were in this boat?' He said, We'd be fighting.' "

"There ain't no such thing as being injured. You can be hurt; we all hurt. But you're not injured. We all got to play through it, and your performance can't slack off. I really don't think they hold each other accountable because, at the end of the day, they all go home to their nice, cushy house. What about what you're supposed to be doing on Sunday and Thursday and Monday? What do you think about, and it is just a passing thought?"

'http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/12/nfl-sunday-outtakes-darryl-talley-gives-his-take-on-2012-bills.html

If Pettine can rectify these things, the D is going to be well ahead of the game.

It might actually be good.

Coach Sal
05-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Good article.

Sal, you're killing me though. It's "complement," not "compliment."

God, you're right. Sorry.

Fast typing and not close enough attention to the final edit.

Going to change this right now!

FYI - the blog was up for almost 24 hours, lots of reads and you're the first person to mention something to me. Good on you!

Coach Sal
05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for reading and the feedback, everyone.

I don't have as much time to spend here as I used to, but I do read the Zone often and enjoy a lot of the insight and most of the discussions I read here.

psubills62
05-01-2013, 08:56 PM
God, you're right. Sorry.

Fast typing and not close enough attention to the final edit.

Going to change this right now!

FYI - the blog was up for almost 24 hours, lots of reads and you're the first person to mention something to me. Good on you!
Ha, I wasn't as serious as I may have sounded. That's actually one where I'm usually surprised if someone gets it right.

Good to see you around here.

I do find it interesting that you believe the job is Manuel's to lose. I personally saw the Kolb signing as a sign that they would sit a potential rookie QB (if they chose to draft one, which they obviously did) for a year or so and mimic Kaepernick's development.

Skooby
05-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Ha, I wasn't as serious as I may have sounded. That's actually one where I'm usually surprised if someone gets it right.

Good to see you around here.

I do find it interesting that you believe the job is Manuel's to lose. I personally saw the Kolb signing as a sign that they would sit a potential rookie QB (if they chose to draft one, which they obviously did) for a year or so and mimic Kaepernick's development.

Kolb looks to have a leg up but EJ will probably start.

swiper
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Coach Sal preparing for a podcast:

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for reading and the feedback, everyone.

I don't have as much time to spend here as I used to, but I do read the Zone often and enjoy a lot of the insight and most of the discussions I read here.

What makes you think Dareus can't be a NT? I thought he played very well as a rookie when he was the NT. He was much better as a NT than as an inside lineman in a 4-3.

Coach Sal
05-02-2013, 08:04 PM
What makes you think Dareus can't be a NT? I thought he played very well as a rookie when he was the NT. He was much better as a NT than as an inside lineman in a 4-3.

Didn't write he can't be a NT, not at all.

I wrote and believe he can be, but it's just not where he fits best as a player.

And yes, he was at times. But that was also in a much less-aggressive scheme than the team will be playing now. I want him as a penetrator, not a "hold two gaps" guy.

TigerJ
05-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Don't assume UDFA Rogers is a lock at WR yet. He's going to get a paycheck now and may lose his mind. Needs to prove he's grown up, focusing on football and not acting like an idiot.I think Sal essentially agrees with you. While he thinks Pettine may line him up some as nose tackle, he likes when Dareus can penetrate as a player with only one gap responsibility. As a true nose tackle Dareus would control two gaps and mainly tie up blockers, something he can do, but which essentially wastes some his quickness and athleticism. Personally, I'm not sure that Pettine's defensive scheme uses the nose tackle in the way that is typical of most 3-4 schemes.

I confess I'm a bit confused about your Mario and Kyle Williams comments. I don't see where Sal mentions Kyle Williams even once, and when he discusses Mario Williams, I don't see where he refers to him as a defensive end. I think he says Mario is going to move around, "I'm very excited o see Mario Williams move back and forth and around in Mike Pettine's new hybrid defense." I think Sal understands, that a hybrid defense is going to feature a 4-3 alignment at least some of the time, and that will mean Mario putting his hand on the ground. I do think that Kyle Williams presents something of a dilemma for Mike Pettine. He's a great player, but might not be a great fit. There was even a bit of talk about trading him, but I think Pettine will try to figure out how he might fit because he is such a good player. Sal also did not state Da'Rick Rogers was going to start. The only thing he actually said about Rogers is he has a much higher ceiling than Donald Jones or David Nelson. One does get the impression he things Rogers is going to start sooner rather than later though. I do agree with you in that Rogers' attitude still seems to be something of an issue. I hope he can get an attitude adjustment in such a way that it allows him to stay with the Bills and develop to his full potential.

Coach Sal
05-03-2013, 05:50 AM
I think Sal essentially agrees with you. While he thinks Pettine may line him up some as nose tackle, he likes when Dareus can penetrate as a player with only one gap responsibility. As a true nose tackle Dareus would control two gaps and mainly tie up blockers, something he can do, but which essentially wastes some his quickness and athleticism. Personally, I'm not sure that Pettine's defensive scheme uses the nose tackle in the way that is typical of most 3-4 schemes.

I confess I'm a bit confused about your Mario and Kyle Williams comments. I don't see where Sal mentions Kyle Williams even once, and when he discusses Mario Williams, I don't see where he refers to him as a defensive end. I think he says Mario is going to move around, "I'm very excited o see Mario Williams move back and forth and around in Mike Pettine's new hybrid defense." I think Sal understands, that a hybrid defense is going to feature a 4-3 alignment at least some of the time, and that will mean Mario putting his hand on the ground. I do think that Kyle Williams presents something of a dilemma for Mike Pettine. He's a great player, but might not be a great fit. There was even a bit of talk about trading him, but I think Pettine will try to figure out how he might fit because he is such a good player. Sal also did not state Da'Rick Rogers was going to start. The only thing he actually said about Rogers is he has a much higher ceiling than Donald Jones or David Nelson. One does get the impression he things Rogers is going to start sooner rather than later though. I do agree with you in that Rogers' attitude still seems to be something of an issue. I hope he can get an attitude adjustment in such a way that it allows him to stay with the Bills and develop to his full potential.

Thank you for your excellent reading comprehension capabilities. :D

BertSquirtgum
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Well, he was a fat bomb last year so I don't think he's was as quick as he was coming out of college.

Mace
05-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm still never really sure what the big deal about Kyle Williams is, though he's surely a high motor overachiever. He's a rushing defensive tackle who doesn't dominate games or terrorize QB's while being a defensive tackle (that's sort of core line material) on the absolute worst Bill's rushing defenses in team and NFL history. I like Kyle Williams, guy is a rock at the position, but umm......