PDA

View Full Version : QB Jeff Tuel - UDFA

swiper
05-01-2013, 05:18 AM
A respectable Tuel-box for Bills undrafted QB

Posted Apr 30, 2013

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/writer-profile-headshots/chris.jpgChris Brown

QB Jeff Tuel's career seemed to be on the fast track at Washington State, but got derailed by a rash of injuries that may have hidden his true potential.

In a draft where the quarterback class had one of the more disappointing showings, there were signal callers after the draft was over that were in demand. Arizona’s Matt Scott, Tennessee’s Tyler Bray and a Washington State quarterback that not only agreed to terms with the Bills (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-agree-to-terms-with-16-undrafteds-cut-four/a7b86e14-07bb-439a-bb1b-04404852fbcd)as a rookie free agent Monday, but had a pre-draft visit with the team in early April.

<nobr>Jeff Tuel</nobr> had a star-crossed career at Washington State. After becoming just the second quarterback in school history to start at least five games as a freshman, Drew Bledsoe was the other, it looked like his career would be a prolific one for the Cougars. However, a dislocated knee cap ended his freshman season prematurely.

His sophomore season proved to be his best as he completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,780 yards with 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. The following season the wheels came off when a broken collar bone forced him to miss four games. Upon returning he re-injured the collar bone and additionally sustained a leg injury. His junior season was over with just 276 passing yards and a touchdown to show for it.
A change in coaching staffs brought in a new offensive system and an open competition for the starting job.

“He won the starting job initially and then he tweaked a knee early in the season,” said Bills scout Brad Forsyth. “They had a young guy come in and he played pretty well so Tuel kind of lost his spot. He played in spots the rest of the year, but I think he’s a kid that really does have a legitimate shot. He needs some time, development and experience, but he has all the physical tools you’re looking for and he’s a smart kid as well.”

Forsyth, who was a college quarterback himself, sees upside in Tuel knowing his time on the field has been limited by injury.

“I’m real excited about him as a free agent,” said Forsyth. “Really good size, really strong arm. You really notice that when you get on the practice field and at the two All-Star games that I went to watch him. He just stands out as a pure thrower. He really spins it well and can make all the throws.”

He describes Tuel as deceptively quick and can buy time to make plays. Tuel has been knocked some for his accuracy, but he finished as the school’s all-time leader in the completion percentage (64.1%). Forsyth has an idea as to where the concerns originated.

“This year was kind of a different story because in that offense you throw to areas or spots,” said Forsyth. “It’s a little bit different because in talking to Jeff he felt he mentally struggled a little bit in it. Not so much with what he was doing, but because everyone has to be on the same page he wasn’t sure guys were going to the spots where he’s supposed to throw to and he held onto the ball a lot and took a lot more sacks than he should have.

“It’s just not feeling comfortable. He didn’t want to throw a pick and have it go the other way so he was waiting and waiting to make sure his guy was making the right break. In that offense you just have to trust each other.”

Tuel (6’3’ 218) despite great arm strength does show a touch on the ball as well. He routinely dropped the ball over defenders into the waiting arms of one of his receiving targets.

“I don’t have any problems with his accuracy,” said Forsyth. “When you see this guy in 7-on-7s, at the all-star games and even in the games, I think the first game he went 6-of-8 and in the NFLPA game he went 8-for-8. He is accurate. He’s got sneaky athletic ability.”

With veterans <nobr>Tarvaris Jackson</nobr> and <nobr>Kevin Kolb</nobr> on the roster along with prized draft choice <nobr></nobr> (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-get-QB-in-round-one-draft-Manuel/14c31fe1-a684-457f-98b6-9851c44b4397)<nobr>EJ Manuel</nobr> it will certainly be an uphill climb for Tuel, but there’s one Bills scout eager to see how he progresses through the offeseason and in training camp.

“I just like this kid’s physical upside,” Forsyth said. “He’s got a lot of the thing you want. It’s just a matter of putting it all together and doing it on a consistent basis.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/A-respectable-Tuel-box-for-Bills-undrafted-QB/7a23aab1-00f3-43aa-a69d-3c459f66daf6

Night Train
05-01-2013, 05:27 AM
He played on such a bad team for most of his time in college but scouting reports see talent. Would be smart to put him on the inactive squad because you don't know if either Kolb or Jackson will be here after this year.

k-oneputt
05-01-2013, 06:17 AM
One won't be here for this year. Whomever loses the qb battle between Kolb and Jackson will be gone come Sept. The winner stays with Manuel and tuel is going to be the #3.

Don't Panic
05-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Hmm... PAC 12 QB, got hurt a lot, not surrounded by much talent, loads of potential... Trent Edwards? At least he was UDFA instead of 3rd round.

Skooby
05-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Camp fodder.

RedEyE
05-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I think Tuel makes more sense as a 2nd or 3rd option. And I also think it will come down to Kolb and Jackson battling it out for a roster spot. But if Tuel doesn't show any quick signs of maturity he could easily end up on the practice squad.

The Bills did right with Kolb's contract. It's obviously not your typical starter's contract. The pay and the structure is suitable for a vet back-up. Same for TJ who's also a bit longer in the tooth.

I think at season start the QB ranks will be as follows:

QB1: EJ Manuel
2: Kolb
3: Tuel

k-oneputt
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
You have it fiqured out RedEye.

jamze132
05-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Either Kolb or Jackson are toast after pre-season.

Don't Panic
05-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Either Kolb or Jackson are toast after pre-season.

...and the other has a good chance to be the opening day starter.

feldspar
05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Dunno about his name...he's a tool...I can see it already. Lossman was doomed because of his name, too...that, and he was kinda bad at playing QB.

Bill Cody
05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
He played on such a bad team for most of his time in college but scouting reports see talent.

This guy has all the tuels

Scumbag College
05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
We've had plenty of Tuels playing QB the past decade or so.

better days
05-02-2013, 06:30 AM
The best Tuel can hope for is to be signed to the practice squad after TC.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Jackson's salary is not prohibitive to him staying here as a back-up or 3rd string guy.

trapezeus
05-02-2013, 07:35 AM
only way i part with jax or kolb is if ej's camp shows that he could step in week2 or 3 because of starter injury and play well.

If he doesn't have that kind of camp, it's tuel who gets tossed and you keep the two vets because the cost isn't bad and you know kolb is going down at some point.

to be honest, the best thing for hte bills would be tjax winning the competition because then he'll play through whatever, and as bad as he performs, EJ can sit as number 2 and kolb can be tossed to curb. This getes the bills a high draft pick the following year and it lets EJ take the back up reps vs 3rd stringer reps. So he has a full year of development to step in on year 2.

OpIv37
05-02-2013, 07:49 AM
If we keep Tuel, we have to keep Kolb. TJax has a few starts and some experience, but it's more limited than Kolb's. He's still a bit of a wild card. Even though I'm not a fan of Kolb at all, at least we know what we have in him. I think going with EJ, TJax and Tuel is just too unpredictable.

And if that happens, it'll solidify the Jackson move as one of the dumber moves made by a team that's made a lot of dumb moves. It will mean we traded a draft pick for him only to sit him on the bench for a year -while our starter struggled, no less- then cut him. The only saving grace is that it was only a 7th rounder.

EDS
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
If we keep Tuel, we have to keep Kolb. TJax has a few starts and some experience, but it's more limited than Kolb's. He's still a bit of a wild card. Even though I'm not a fan of Kolb at all, at least we know what we have in him. I think going with EJ, TJax and Tuel is just too unpredictable.

And if that happens, it'll solidify the Jackson move as one of the dumber moves made by a team that's made a lot of dumb moves. It will mean we traded a draft pick for him only to sit him on the bench for a year -while our starter struggled, no less- then cut him. The only saving grace is that it was only a 7th rounder.

Actually, Jackson has alot more career passing yards and touchdowns than Kolb. Kolb only has about 5000 career passing yards and 28 touchdowns (versus 7000 and 38 for Jackson).

OpIv37
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Wow, I take that back- I just looked up the stats and Jackson does have a lot more starts than Kolb. For some reason, I always thought of TJax as a career back-up.

Looking at that, the Kolb signing makes even less sense.

The last buffalo fan
05-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I would love to have EJ playing as numero uno in wk 1, mainly because the draft pick he was, but I don't think it would be a wise thing to do.

psubills62
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm fine with Tuel as the #3, but I'd also be fine with him on the practice squad. Sounds intriguing, just have to keep him healthy and see what he can do.

Spiderweb
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
We've had plenty of Tuels playing QB the past decade or so.

Here comes the name play,,,, pretty good so far......

BillsFever21
05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Jackson will be very lucky to make the team. Face it he will be a 3rd string QB at best. I'm not sure how much of the 2 million dollars for this year is guaranteed but if they can save money by releasing him he will be gone.

They knew they were drafting a QB and still brought in Kolb with Jackson already signed for the year. Unless they want to pay a 3rd sting QB two million dollars he will be toast.

OpIv37
05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Jackson will be very lucky to make the team. Face it he will be a 3rd string QB at best. I'm not sure how much of the 2 million dollars for this year is guaranteed but if they can save money by releasing him he will be gone.

They knew they were drafting a QB and still brought in Kolb with Jackson already signed for the year. Unless they want to pay a 3rd sting QB two million dollars he will be toast.

So pick your poison.

Either the team traded a draft pick for Jackson to NOT play him, even as Fitz completely embarrased himself and the team, just to sign Kolb, draft EJ and cut him a year later.

Or, they signed Kolb when they already had a viable 2nd/3rd string option in Jackson.

It's highly unlikely that they keep both, so either way, the FO ****ed up yet again.

TigerJ
05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm glad to finally see an explanation of why he wasn't a clear starter at Washington State. He seems to be just the kind of player you want to pick up as a UDFA. He has possibly close to elite natural physical skills but his college career got derailed by circumstances that were not his fault. Obviously, there are no guarantees and there are going to be questions, but that's why he was available after the draft. Will injuries continue to dog him, or can he get past that. Will his apparent potential even come close to being realized, or is it all just a mirage?

Meathead
05-03-2013, 10:22 PM
close to zero chance they keep both kolb and tj - and actually zero if they keep brad smith. they need two spots for the veteran and ej. the third qb should be a development guy like tooltime - you dont carry qbs all season on the ps cuz they get no reps so you keep them at qb3 so they at least get to run the scout team every week. then brad smith is your total disaster qb

one of kolb/tj will start the season, the other gets cut. the only way you keep both is if ej and/or the qb3 get hurt, and even then they might decide to just roll the dice with qb1-2 and brad and save that roster spot for insurance at some other spot

Mr. Pink
05-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Tuel will either be cut or put on the PS.

He won't make the final roster.

Awesome fluff piece of garbage that has no importance by Chris Brown though.

DraftBoy
05-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I honestly think Jackson has the edge over Kolb right now. He's a better fit for a read option system, has a bigger arm, and I think he was a more successful in Seattle than Kolb was in Arizona.