PDA

View Full Version : 14 Teams wanted Da'Rick Rogers

The King
05-01-2013, 07:22 AM
“There were 14 teams after him after the draft and we were able to get him,” said Nix. “I think there were a lot of reasons (President and CEO) Russ (Brandon) and (Senior VP of Football Administration) Jim (Overdorf) have been pretty close with his agent. Plus his agent also represents Robert Woods and they had worked out together during the pre-draft process and knew each other.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/04/30/bills-competed-with-14-teams-to-land-wr-rogers/

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2013, 07:33 AM
It also probably really, really, really helped that Bills have crap at the WR position and it will be much easier to make this roster than other rosters.

Of course, some here seem to think that he is the next Jerry Rice so that probably was not a concern

better days
05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
It also probably really, really, really helped that Bills have crap at the WR position and it will be much easier to make this roster than other rosters.

Of course, some here seem to think that he is the next Jerry Rice so that probably was not a concern

Well, the Bills drafted a couple guys as well as having Stevie before he signed. The Bills NOW have a BETTER WR group even without Rogers than MANY teams. For example, who do the Jets & Pats* have at WR?

Skooby
05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
He looks to be one of the most physically talented WR's that we could have gotten, so there's a certain level of expectations.

The King
05-01-2013, 07:46 AM
I liked Rogers in the third round the fact that teams were that afraid of his off the field stuff worries me, but there's no question he's was a top receiver in this draft.

trapezeus
05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
it's weird that some kids drug issues are totally non-issues, some fall a round or three, and some miss out on the draft all together.

i wonder what makes using pot an offense that people overlook or punish severely. is it the way they interview? clearly the kid has skill and was thought of highly. yet he fell out of the draft entirely in a draft short on skilled positions. Kiko has an issue, but only fell a couple rounds...marino was thought to be doing drugs and fells a little in the first round.

and King, how could you post this and not let NOT THE DUDE have his moment of I told you so!

Mad Max
05-01-2013, 08:28 AM

If he turns out to be the next Peerless Price that would be a huge score. If he turns out to be the next Moulds or Boldin, then we caught one of the biggest UDFA steals ever.

ublinkwescore
05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
If he turns out to be the next Peerless Price that would be a huge score. If he turns out to be the next Moulds or Boldin, then we caught one of the biggest UDFA steals ever.
Id rather he be the next tj houshmandzadeh than peerless price.

Saratoga Slim
05-01-2013, 08:50 AM

I'll settle for him not being the next Marcus Easley.

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2013, 08:52 AM

TJ Whosyamomma - championship!!

justasportsfan
05-01-2013, 08:52 AM

thanks for the insight Dr. Obvious

Historian
05-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I think he's going to be a gamer.

Just a gut feeling.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I wonder how much we paid him as an undrafted free agent? There has to be a limit on signing bonus I guess.

MTBillsFan
05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
This receiving corp is going to give teams fits! 4 wide with CJ in the backfield! Not to mention that Kaufmann kid out of EWU hopefully pans out!

Mski
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
it's weird that some kids drug issues are totally non-issues, some fall a round or three, and some miss out on the draft all together.

i wonder what makes using pot an offense that people overlook or punish severely. is it the way they interview? clearly the kid has skill and was thought of highly. yet he fell out of the draft entirely in a draft short on skilled positions. Kiko has an issue, but only fell a couple rounds...marino was thought to be doing drugs and fells a little in the first round.

and King, how could you post this and not let NOT THE DUDE have his moment of I told you so!Marino was considered by many to be the second best QB in that class, and likely was, and fell almost out of the 1st round because of the drug speculation.

then you have someone like mathieu, who some people on here dont believe has the size/speed for the nfl, was completely out of football for a year and in rehab that still gets drafted.

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Marino was considered by many to be the second best QB in that class, and likely was, and fell almost out of the 1st round because of the drug speculation.

then you have someone like mathieu, who some people on here dont believe has the size/speed for the nfl, was completely out of football for a year and in rehab that still gets drafted.

Yea its interesting to compare Mathieu's case with Rogers - and you can throw Janoris Jenkins in there as well.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Will a certain part of the endzone become .... "Mister Roger's Neighborhood?"

ParanoidAndroid
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Well, the Bills drafted a couple guys as well as having Stevie before he signed. The Bills NOW have a BETTER WR group even without Rogers than MANY teams. For example, who do the Jets & Pats* have at WR?

So, I'm excited, too but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Remember, all we have besides Stevie is a lot of potential.

Meathead
05-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Will a certain part of the endzone become .... "Mister Roger's Neighborhood?"

yes, complete with King Friday After Next XIII holding a huge blunt and a plate of Bros Barbecue ribs

The last buffalo fan
05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
:spit: :Ilovethisthreadalready!: :gobills:

Mr. Pink
05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Well others teams interest in him must not have been very high either, since no one drafted him.

I love how people are saying the guy is gonna be so awesome yet NO ONE drafted him.

Even if he makes the team, he's gonna be the 5th WR at best.

TedMock
05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

and King, how could you post this and not let NOT THE DUDE have his moment of I told you so!

I think it varies year to year, but in Rogers' case this year was considered pretty deep at the WR position. WR, DE and DB's were probably most plentiful from an overall talent standpoint. Keenan Allen got busted for pot, but got drafted - albeit a little lower than anticipated. Rogers got busted for pot, but also got kicked off the team for the mulitples. There very well could be a bit more that we just don't know about. Since the class was pretty deep with talent at the position, it's a bit easier to let a guy fall.

Having said that, considering what a talent he is, I love the gamble as an UDFA. Very little risk on this one.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Well others teams interest in him must not have been very high either, since no one drafted him.

I love how people are saying the guy is gonna be so awesome yet NO ONE drafted him.

Like David Nelson was?

I am not on his bandwagon, but to say his ceiling this year is the #5 WR is untrue

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Wrong. #3

CoolBreeze
05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Rogers is here because Woods is here... They worked up together before the draft

jimbohastle51
05-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Nix said the bills had a 1st/2nd round grade on him and you don't cut 1st or 2nd round picks their first year. If he stays out of trouble he will make the team. It's that simple.

Novacane
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Rogers is here because Woods is here... They worked up together before the draft

I think that had something to do with it too.

Scumbag College
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Other than Stevie, the bills didn't have a WR on the roster that's ever done anything in the NFL. Graham will make the team too, but that's because of potential and being a 3rd round pick. I can see the Bills having 3 rookie WRs getting significant playing time this year. Still wouldn't mind bringing in another FA if there's anyone out there.

Mr. Pink
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Like David Nelson was?

I am not on his bandwagon, but to say his ceiling this year is the #5 WR is untrue

Who's he gonna pass on the depth chart?

Stevie is the bonafide 1 and 3 other guys are actually drafted players in the past 2 years who will be given more chances than someone who is undrafted. I doubt Brad Smith is going anywhere so that basically leaves Rogers and Easley to fight it out as the last WR on the roster.

I'd expect him to be on the practice squad more than the opening day roster.

What do you really expect out of someone who isn't drafted in year 1?

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Stevie is the bonafide 1 and 3 other guys are actually drafted players in the past 2 years who will be given more chances than someone who is undrafted. I doubt Brad Smith is going anywhere so that basically leaves Rogers and Easley to fight it out as the last WR on the roster.

Brad Smith is gone. Rogers will never make it one day on the practice squad.

Mr. Pink
05-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Brad Smith is gone. Rogers will never make it one day on the practice squad.

Why wouldn't he?

Because 14 teams, allegedly, wanted to sign him as a UDFA but NONE drafted him?

better days
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Why wouldn't he?

YES!

JoeMama
05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
“He’s the most polished of those three Tennessee receivers in my opinion in terms of route running and all that,” Bills scout Tom Roth said, via the team’s official website. “He reminds me physically of Eric Moulds, that body type. That’s what I thought when I saw him. A big, physical, muscular guy. Explosive. He had a 39-inch vertical. He ran a 4.48 at the Combine. He’s got all the physical stuff.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/28/bills-sign-troubled-wr-darick-rogers/

I don't buy the part that Rodgers is the "most polished" of the three Tennessee WRs.

But the E-Mo comparison is interesting.

Moulds was a late bloomer but a fantastic receiver once he broke out. The measurables are comparable.

kingJofNYC
05-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Rogers is getting a spot easily unless he **** ups.

Easleys out and Brad might be as well, think they roll with 6 WRs anyway. Lots of 3 wide sets. Graham isn't going to threaten a guy like Rogers, they just dumped Sheppard after 2 seasons, they're not going to hold on to deadweight.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Why wouldn't he?

Yes, that is exactly why.

sudzy
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I believe it. But, if I was an undrafted free agent I would want to go to the team I have the best chance of making it. The Bills WR has to be one of the shallowest in the NFL. Other the Stevie the have nothing.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2013, 07:33 PM

Brad Smith is gone. With his salary? Are you nuts?

And why won't he pass this year's 3rd round pick who is a speed guy that is raw? And what commitment does this coaching staff have to Graham?

Regardless your point that an UDFA can't be more than a #5 guy is crap.

SCBILLFAN1
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Nix said the bills had a 1st/2nd round grade on him and you don't cut 1st or 2nd round picks their first year. If he stays out of trouble he will make the team. It's that simple.

It's not like he screwed up once. He had multiple infractions.

SCBILLFAN1
05-01-2013, 07:42 PM

And why won't he pass this year's 3rd round pick who is a speed guy that is raw? And what commitment does this coaching staff have to Graham?

I think we carry 5 wr's and Easley isn't one of them. 3 rookies could make the team and on potential alone those 5 will be pretty good.

Mr. Pink
05-01-2013, 08:33 PM

Brad Smith offers roster versatility and teams always need special teams players. Would you rather him or Ruvell Martin? You need guys who can play special teams and cutting Smith now serves no purpose other than putting more money in Ralphs pocket.

He doesn't pass guys on the depth chart who the franchise has a vested interest in. Draft picks have a vested interest, at least in year 1. Peters, probably the example of our best UDFA, did nothing right away. Why? No vested interest in a guy they brought in off the streets.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Brad Smith offers roster versatility and teams always need special teams players. Would you rather him or Ruvell Martin? You need guys who can play special teams and cutting Smith now serves no purpose other than putting more money in Ralphs pocket.

He doesn't pass guys on the depth chart who the franchise has a vested interest in. Draft picks have a vested interest, at least in year 1. Peters, probably the example of our best UDFA, did nothing right away. Why? No vested interest in a guy they brought in off the streets.

Get over your Brad Smith man love. So he adds versatility to different positions but sucks at every one of them. How exactly does that help?

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Ruvell Martin???

Where the **** did I say to keep Ruvell Martin? And the two of them have different ST roles. Smith was never a ST coverage guy. He is more of a returner. And he offers no diversity. he offers little as a WR. Nothing at QB. Some return skills. But that is it.

There are other players to play on STs. 2 rookie safeties. Justin Rogers.

Lexwhat
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM

I think you are downplaying the fact that it's a numbers game...

Out of an NFL roster of 52 players, NFL teams have about 5-6 spots dedicated to the WR position. That's 10% of an NFL Roster.

The average team has 7-8 draft picks in a draft, so (for the sake of argument), let's say each team drafts 1 WR (FYI, 28 WRs were drafted this year)... Between all the WRs to choose from, teams have to assess their offensive philosophy, their current roster, and their current needs -- and then decide if they want to draft a vertical threat, a slot WR, an outside possession WR, a red-zone target, etc...

Rogers is only 1 man and may only meet the criteria of (for example) 50% of teams... In a given draft, there are over 60 WRs to choose from. Add to the fact that Rogers had character concerns and the most WR-needy teams already spent a draft pick on a WR in the first 2 Rounds, it is NOT that far fetched to suggest that Rogers fell victim to a numbers game.

Your argument makes even less sense because if a 6th or 7th Round Rookie plays so well, why didn't he get drafted in the 2nd Round? Again, it's a combination of reasons including team philosophies, needs, and a numbers game.

Just FYI: I am not saying this guy is necessarily 1st/2nd round material, but to call him a "5th WR at best" is not necessarily correct, which I think I have shown with my argument above.

better days
05-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I believe it. But, if I was an undrafted free agent I would want to go to the team I have the best chance of making it. The Bills WR has to be one of the shallowest in the NFL. Other the Stevie the have nothing.

Who do the Pats* have?

Who do the Chargers have?

Who do the Jets have?

There are MANY teams with less talent at WR than the Bills.

kishoph
05-02-2013, 02:42 AM
One thing that may have helped get him here, from what I heard is that he has the same agent as Woods and Goodwin.

swiper
05-02-2013, 04:38 AM
One thing that may have helped get him here, from what I heard is that he has the same agent as Woods and Goodwin.

I did read that he was friendly with Woods as well.

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM

He would still have to earn a spot. If he performs like Aaron Williams ,Rogers will get cut since they didn't invest a high pick on him. If he was drafted high like Woods, they may give him a chance like Williams.

psubills62
05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
There is a difference between wanting someone as a draftee and wanting them as a UDFA. The latter requires some level of commitment (even 7th rounders have some form), while UDFA's require none. We're seeing this disconnect in the contract talk about Mathieu. If Arizona didn't want to pay him any guarantees then they shouldn't have drafted him, simply as that. Which is exactly what teams didn't do with Rogers.

I'm happy to get someone of his talent level, and yes, it's generally because our WR depth chart is fairly open. But I will say a lot of these UDFA kids get hyped and many times very little comes from it.

psubills62
05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Sorry, I meant to say the "former" requires some level of commitment. Why can't we edit posts past 10 minutes again?

The Jokeman
05-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't buy the part that Rodgers is the "most polished" of the three Tennessee WRs.

But the E-Mo comparison is interesting.

Moulds was a late bloomer but a fantastic receiver once he broke out. The measurables are comparable.

How was he a late bloomer? Most WRs take a good three years before becoming great in the NFL. Stevie Johnson took three years as well. In terms of Rodgers, I think that's going to hurt him is that Stevie, TJ, Woods and Goodwin are almost guarantee roster spots leaving 1 spot open. I personally favor Brad Smith if we're playing to win in 2013. Yet because Rodgers might not have the abilities to contribute as much on ST he could be an odd man out.

better days
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
How was he a late bloomer? Most WRs take a good three years before becoming great in the NFL. Stevie Johnson took three years as well. In terms of Rodgers, I think that's going to hurt him is that Stevie, TJ, Woods and Goodwin are almost guarantee roster spots leaving 1 spot open. I personally favor Brad Smith if we're playing to win in 2013. Yet because Rodgers might not have the abilities to contribute as much on ST he could be an odd man out.

Just my opinion, but I think it would be CRAZY to keep Smith over Rogers or ANYONE else for that matter.

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Smith played well in the first workout session. Even Marrone mentioned that. I was thinking that Smith might get a spot because of his ST ability too, but Rogers' ceiling is higher than Smiths and we kinda drafted based on ceiling.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-02-2013, 11:06 AM

yeah, but moulds really sucked year two and was ok his 1st year?

he was almost cut before the 98 camp. he was on the bubble. i remember reading that in my bills report paper. wade said he needed to break out or he was gone

- - - Updated - - -

he was 25lbs overweight too in his 2nd year

Historian
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
But...but...but...what about Kenny Easley????

kishoph
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM

I don't think Kenny Easley is part of their plan, he was great back in the 80's, but he has to be over 50 now and probably couldn't cover today's tight ends.

better days
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM

You mean Marcus? This is his last shot most llikely to make the team.

JoeMama
05-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Eric Moulds only had 20 and 29 catches his first two years. There was a lot of about bust since most promising rookie and 2nd year receivers usually have better numbers than that.

Plus, the 1996 draft was in my opinion the greatest draft for wide receivers of all time. So comparatively, you can probably see why I considered him a late bloomer.

This draft is considered one of the best draft classes ever for the position of wide receiver. Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Eddie Kennison, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, Muhsin Muhammad, Amani Toomer, Jermaine Lewis, and Joe Horn have all achieved success in the pros, with all except Kennison, Engram, and Toomer having reached the Pro Bowl at least once, and a total of 26 Pro Bowl appearances for the group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_NFL_Draft

The last buffalo fan
05-02-2013, 12:46 PM
I just saw some Rogers' highlights, some say were from 2011 but still are unreal, the boy knows a thing or two abount catching and running with the football!!

About the Emo comparation, he even jumps at times while catching the ball! :spit:

Who is/was his qb at Tennesse? That arm really looked good too with a perfect strenght / touch!