PDA

View Full Version : OK The Draft is Done. When is Buddy Retiring?

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Let's move this along.

Pass the baton to Doug Whaley.

mikemac2001
05-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Let's move this along.

in one interview with russ i read that he said nix wasnt retiring and he is our gm for a long time

it was an article after the draft

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2013, 05:00 PM
in one interview with russ i read that he said nix wasnt retiring and he is our gm for a long time

it was an article after the draft

I knew it.

That press conference where Russ Brandon ascended to the throne was complete bull****.

imbondz
05-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Let's move this along.

LOL. best post yet!

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
I just want to get the OBD's lies straight.

Analytics?

Doug Whaley is/was highly sought after?

How does Buddy fit in even if you believe he was almost competent?

Skooby
05-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I have a hard time believing that an old guy will give up a dream job following football. If you think about it, wouldn't you like to track football 24/7 ? When you retire, you track football for free so how stupid would that be?

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
I have a hard time believing that an old guy will give up a dream job following football. If you think about it, wouldn't you like to track football 24/7 ? When you retire, you track football for free so how stupid would that be?

In other words, the only way he is leaving is if he is fired.

I agree.

When he does "retire" it is because he was fired.

better days
05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Let's move this along.

He will probably outlast you.

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
He will probably outlast you.

He's your Grandpa isn't he?

coastal
05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Russ is keeping Buddy around as the next sacrificial lamb, because he knows if he doesn't... he's next.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Buddy will be here until Ralph passes.

SABURZFAN
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Let's move this along.

no doubt.

SABURZFAN
05-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Russ is keeping Buddy around as the next sacrificial lamb, because he knows if he doesn't... he's next.

sounds about right.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2013, 11:32 PM
What gave you the idea that Buddy was retiring after the draft anyway?

feldspar
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Let's move this along.

Did you dislike this draft?

If so, why?

swiper
05-02-2013, 04:45 AM

Nix is the only high profile lamb he has left. So, yes, you are right.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Bills president Russ Brandon: "Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time."</p>&mdash; Tim Graham (@ByTimGraham) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/328287130466004992">April 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fooled you again, Spiked! Buddy is GM for life. Specifically, Ralph's life.

Mahdi
05-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Why would anyone care as long as we're drafting good players?

And what proof does anyone have that Whaley is a better GM than Nix...?

sukie
05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Buddy will be here until Ralph passes.
Until Ralph passes? Passes that hard, painful mass of Raisin Bran, prune danish, and figs that is blocking his sigmoid? Or did you mean when Ralph assumes room temperature?

trapezeus
05-02-2013, 07:41 AM
part of leaving no stone unturned is oddly.....leaving all the stones unturned.

but maybe the bills feel the pressure from that age discrimination lawsuit to not fire the senile old guy who doesn't know how a phone works and then promote a 35-40 year old guy to take his job.

universally the bills got panned for taking EJ that high. and then on day 2 we saw why as EJ would have still been there since no qb's were taken but geno smith. and hte bills didn't even want him.

but if EJ ends up being great, they'll be able to say they knew he was a star. but if he fails, i doubt they'll be so gracious as to say, "we did the wrong thing and we should pay for this with the loss of our job"

Russ Brandon - insistent that marketing a football team is keeping a middling team on the field instead of a good one.

Saratoga Slim
05-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Don't forget the fact that he's adding a million bucks or so to his retirement account every year.

I haven't given up on Buddy yet. I think we're a QB short of winning games, and finding a QB is not easy for any GM. Ask Scott Pioli. If we had a QB even in the mid-range starter category (Romo/Rivers etc), I bet our record over the last couple would look a lot better, Chan would still be here, and Buddy would be facing a lot fewer questions. His big mistake in my book was giving Fitzy the big contract in the midst of that streak where Fitz was playing like Drew Brees. While one could be forgiven for feeling like Fitz might be the guy during that period, Nix should have waited the season out to make sure. That contract locked us into Fitz for another year, when we could have easily drafted Kaepernick, Dalton etc.

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Nix said , he'd like to have a franchise qb in place before he leaves. EJ is not a franchise qb.....yet.

mjt328
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM

This.

Russ seems to be 99% about PR, and trying to satisfy fans enough to sell tickets.

Last offseason, he had the huge Mario Williams signing to get Bills fans thinking playoffs. This year, he's got a new HC and rookie QB to get people optimistic about the future. But if everything goes down the toilet, he needs a scapegoat to push the blame on. Otherwise, ticket sales will drop for the 2014 season. The obvious choice is Buddy.

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Until Ralph passes? Passes that hard, painful mass of Raisin Bran, prune danish, and figs that is blocking his sigmoid? Or did you mean when Ralph assumes room temperature?

Seriously? I meant until he is dead and six feet under. I think you're just trying to be funny but you came off as an idiot.

swiper
05-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Seriously? I meant until he is dead and six feet under. I think you're just trying to be funny but you came off as an idiot.

And you know what that's like.

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
And you know what that's like.

Which name did you go by on the range before you were banned?

feldspar
05-02-2013, 06:35 PM
This.

Russ seems to be 99% about PR, and trying to satisfy fans enough to sell tickets.

Last offseason, he had the huge Mario Williams signing to get Bills fans thinking playoffs. This year, he's got a new HC and rookie QB to get people optimistic about the future. But if everything goes down the toilet, he needs a scapegoat to push the blame on. Otherwise, ticket sales will drop for the 2014 season. The obvious choice is Buddy.

OR you can see these things as an honest effort to get better...

Do you REALLY think that the Bills brought in a new Head Coach and QB just as a friggin' PLOY to sell tickets? Coach and QB are the two most important things to have, and the Bills had neither. As far as Mario Williams, you don't guarantee a free agent $50 million as a ploy to sell tickets for one year...'cuz if that guy doesn't play well, he's not going to consistently draw positive attention.

I mean, what exactly do some of you paranoid people need to SEE before you think that the Bills brass isn't deliberately out to con the fans? Do you really think they are THAT smart? They'd make more money if the team were successful than any other way.

And Russ IS almost strictly about business on the non-football side of operations. He's a businessman, and not a football guy. This arrangement is in no way unique to the Bills.

It's one thing to have the opinion that certain people are bad at their jobs, but it's ridiculous to believe in these conspiracy theories. If Nix gets fired at some point, it will be because he hasn't produce and he deserves it.

BillsFever21
05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Who can actually sit there and defend Nix when it comes to his drafts and FA signings? The guy has been horrible in his three years.

We have ONE proven great player as of right now in Spiller. And even then it was a bad move to take a RB at the time. Then all he could get was a lousy 4th round pick out of Lynch.

As far as Dareus and Gilmore goes it's still too soon to say which route they will take. Dareus hasn't set the world on fire yet and Gilmore played alright for a rookie.

Outside of his first round picks they have really been pathetic. Not to mention his horrible contract to Fitzpatrick and grossly overpaying for Mario Williams.

2012 Draft - Still too early to tell. Gilmore and Glenn played alright as rookies and the rest is still TBD

2011 Draft - A totally pathetic draft. Aaron Williams in the 2nd round with two good QB's on the board. This was even BEFORE the Fitzpatrick extension which makes it even worse. Our 3rd, 5th and 6th round picks isn't even on the team anymore.

2010 Draft - Spiller ended up being a score even though we didn't need him at the time and have barely used him. Our 2nd and 4th round picks have been totally useless and we haven't gotten ANY production out of them. They will be lucky to be on the team this year. Our 3rd round pick in Carrington has been an alright backup at best. Our 5th round pick isn't on the team anymore.

So basically out of three drafts before this one if we're lucky we will have four legitimate starters. Whether how good yet remains to be seen. Outside of them most of the guys are lucky to be backup material or are no longer on the team. Several of them that's still on the team has either failed miserably or hasn't even played at all.

He has been a great GM. He even did a great job with the Chan Gailey and Wanny dog and pony show. I can see why he is still in charge.

SpikedLemonade
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Who can actually sit there and defend Nix when it comes to his drafts and FA signings? The guy has been horrible in his three years.

We have ONE proven great player as of right now in Spiller. And even then it was a bad move to take a RB at the time. Then all he could get was a lousy 4th round pick out of Lynch.

As far as Dareus and Gilmore goes it's still too soon to say which route they will take. Dareus hasn't set the world on fire yet and Gilmore played alright for a rookie.

Outside of his first round picks they have really been pathetic. Not to mention his horrible contract to Fitzpatrick and grossly overpaying for Mario Williams.

2012 Draft - Still too early to tell. Gilmore and Glenn played alright as rookies and the rest is still TBD

2011 Draft - A totally pathetic draft. Aaron Williams in the 2nd round with two good QB's on the board. This was even BEFORE the Fitzpatrick extension which makes it even worse. Our 3rd, 5th and 6th round picks isn't even on the team anymore.

2010 Draft - Spiller ended up being a score even though we didn't need him at the time and have barely used him. Our 2nd and 4th round picks have been totally useless and we haven't gotten ANY production out of them. They will be lucky to be on the team this year. Our 3rd round pick in Carrington has been an alright backup at best. Our 5th round pick isn't on the team anymore.

So basically out of three drafts before this one if we're lucky we will have four legitimate starters. Whether how good yet remains to be seen. Outside of them most of the guys are lucky to be backup material or are no longer on the team. Several of them that's still on the team has either failed miserably or hasn't even played at all.

He has been a great GM. He even did a great job with the Chan Gailey and Wanny dog and pony show. I can see why he is still in charge.

Nix has been a complete and utter failure.

BillsFever21
05-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Nix has been a complete and utter failure.

There's a reason why he was a 70 year old first time GM. It's because after decades in the league no other team thought enough of him to offer him a GM position. All of them open positions over the decades and he never scored one of them until the great Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon came along.

I'm sorry but if you're 70 years old before you get your first shot there is usually a reason why. There's a big difference from being an Assistant GM or in charge of the scouting department and being the main guy who makes the final decisions.

JoeMama
05-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Ralph Wilson Jr. is going to live forever.

If a tennis injury in his 80s can't kill him, nothing can.

SABURZFAN
05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Did you dislike this draft?

If so, why?

a LOT of reaching.... this regime is like a deer in the headlights. Nix is an idiot... Brandon has little knowledge of football... The Old Fart needs his diaper changed.....AGAIN!!!!! the UDFA signings were more exciting.

as soon as Tebow was released, i get a text from a friend, who is a Fish fan living in Vegas, "Brandon will get Tebow signed to sell more tickets!!!! LOL!!!!"

sad thing is, it wouldn't surprise me.

Mace
05-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Let's move this along. Pass the baton to Doug Whaley. Very honestly Spiked, I've come to the conclusion that everything is mostly your fault, because whatever you complain about on whatever board, they dork around with changing whether or not it is correct. You probably just added time to Nix's contract. I'm not real sure how you so upset the Bills that they do things to spite you, but I'm nearly positive they are reacting to your posts and making us all suffer accordingly, so please change your name to something else to defy the analytical dept they claim they don't have, or please start posting the opposite of what you are aggravated about so it will get fixed, otherwise this is going nowhere for 10 more years.

BLeonard
05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
This.

On the bolded: No, they really won't.

Unfortunately, many Bills fans are gonn a buy tickets whether they are 16-0 or 0-16. Some still incorrectly believe that, if ticket sales drop, the team will leave due to that. Even though the team has just reached an agreement to a lease that keeps them here for the next 7 years minimum, regardless.

The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 13 seasons. If ticket sales haven't dropped enough in 13 seasons to warrant a change, not firing Buddy Nix won't be the tipping point.

I mean, what exactly do some of you paranoid people need to SEE before you think that the Bills brass isn't deliberately out to con the fans? Do you really think they are THAT smart? They'd make more money if the team were successful than any other way.

Nope: http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/6883286/tmq-says-money-motivates-losing-cheap-paying-wins

Buffalo, 11 consecutive years out of the playoffs, just traded one of its few established performers, Lee Evans, to the Ravens for a middling draft pick. Unloading Evans and replacing him with a minimum-salary young player cuts the Bills' costs by about $3 million this season, which is more than profits would rise if every seat were sold. Trading Evans makes a winning season less likely, but the odds of a profitable season go up -- and a built-in excuse is created. How long until a Buffalo team official says, "We knew we'd have an off year when we lost Lee Evans," as if he had been swept from the practice field by helicopter-borne commandos, rather than deliberately traded away.

For Buffalo, this is a recent pattern. Just before the 2009 season began, the Bills waived their starting left tackle, Langston Walker, and the team's highest-paid offensive player. Two games into the 2010 season, the Bills waived their starting quarterback, Trent Edwards, their second-highest-paid offensive player. Both actions increased profits while setting up an excuse for a losing season.

There is a way most NFL teams could enhance the bottom line while also spending freely on players: reduce front-office costs. But some teams are loath to do that, as the front office is populated by family members and cronies with senior titles, hefty salaries and few if any duties.

Now, I'm not saying that trading Evans was a bad decision, per se... But, the move did increase profits for the team and well, most fans have been screaming for a quality #2 WR since he was traded. Whether or not they've addressed those needs with this year's draft remains to be seen.

The comment regading the Front Office has been true in the Bills case for years as well. Wilson has NEVER paid for a first class front office. He also had his daughter in the FO as a scout for quite a while, until she died.

-Bill

SpikedLemonade
05-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I can't think of a NFL team other then an expansion team that would continue to keep a GM with such a poor record.

WagonCircler
05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Which name did you go by on the range before you were banned?

Speaking of which, I think it's really dead this time. It redirects to Google.

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I predict May 13, 2013

SpikedLemonade
05-13-2013, 11:58 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

swiper
05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

Could be trumped by only one other thing, eh?

BertSquirtgum
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
You got your wish Spiked. I hope they promote Whaley.

BertSquirtgum
05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Speaking of which, I think it's really dead this time. It redirects to Google.

Nah. I think whoever runs it has it coded that so previously banned IPs get redirected. That place is dead now.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Nah. I think whoever runs it has it coded that so previously banned IPs get redirected. That place is dead now.

That must be it. I still post there, but the traffic is miniscule.

SpikedLemonade
05-13-2013, 12:47 PM
You got your wish Spiked. I hope they promote Whaley.

They will have a broadcasted press conference later this week to announce Whaley's promotion.

Today is Buddy's day so a low key Monday announcement.

SABURZFAN
05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Hall of Fame thread. not even two weeks and Spike's prayers have been answered... as well as a lot of ours. :up:

and before any D-bag chimes in about he's not retired, we know. he's stepping aside.