PDA

View Full Version : The Big Question: Has the Bills offense suddenly taken on the look of a track team?

justasportsfan
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
C.J. Spiller was the most electric in-space tailback in the NFL last season, showcasing instant acceleration and breathtaking lateral agility, reminiscent of a 2010-11 Chris Johnson. Unfortunately, the rest of the offense was coma-inducing. There were no receivers to speak of aside from Stevie Johnson, who doesn't separate down field like a true No. 1 threat. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't have the arm to convert those throws regardless, so defenses simply squatted on Chan Gailey's quick-passing game, cutting the field in half.

The Bills website calls the team's 2013 NFL Draft haul the fastest class in recent memory, which stems from new coach Doug Marrone placing an emphasis on speed and versatility.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165565/article/draft-fallout-buffalo-bills

PTI
05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
It will be fun, play action and downfield passing, with Spiller breaking off long runs.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
The Bills website calls the team's 2013 NFL Draft haul the fastest class in recent memory, which stems from new coach Doug Marrone placing an emphasis on speed and versatility.

Ralph Wilson and Al Davis were friends. It was a fitting tribute to his memory.

psubills62
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
That's definitely a danger with some speed prospects - that they're track guys playing football. Spiller is one who has shown he's a legit football player, the others have yet to do so on this level.

However, good coaches may be able to develop them into good football players as well as utilizing an offense that gets these players into space and take advantage of that speed. I hope Marrone and his cronies have those abilities.

CoolBreeze
05-02-2013, 03:41 PM
even our kicker we selected runs a 4.6-4.7

BillsFever21
05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Ralph Wilson and Al Davis were friends. It was a fitting tribute to his memory.

Exactly. Speed is important but there are many other more important factors. A guy can have all the speed he wants but if he isn't good at other things and if he can't play football then it doesn't matter.

Al Davis and the Raiders were my first thought. He just reached for speed guys early in the draft every year along with just taking the guys with the most speed in other rounds but none of them were good football players compared to the other players they passed on. Guys like DHB and many others. We all see how well that worked out for them.

Not saying this draft will be good or bad but they definitely reached for someone like Goodwin in the 3rd when there were far more polished FOOTBALL players on the board and we had many other needs like the OL and especially the guard spot.

Skooby
05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
I'd like to mix speed with the intelligence to use it, then we'd be going somewhere.

MTBillsFan
05-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Speed and smarts. Combine it with some downfield blocking, we've got a very potent offense! It's going to be fun to watch other defensive coordinators scramble and squirm.

jamze132
05-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Buffalo's new philosophy and doctrine states...

"Your talent will NEVER catch up with your speed".

I think it's one of their new ethos...

justasportsfan
05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Woods, Stevie, Rogers, Graham, Kaufman, Goodwin, Spiller, Jackson.

If Rogers and Kaufman stick, we could have nice weapons. Same goes with the TE we have who is more athletic than Chandler.

The last buffalo fan
05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Woods, Stevie, Rogers, Graham, Kaufman, Goodwin, Spiller, Jackson.

If Rogers and Kaufman stick, we could have nice weapons. Same goes with the TE we have who is more athletic than Chandler.

I'm ok with a healthy Chandler.

cookie G
05-03-2013, 02:22 PM
That's definitely a danger with some speed prospects - that they're track guys playing football. Spiller is one who has shown he's a legit football player, the others have yet to do so on this level. However, good coaches may be able to develop them into good football players as well as utilizing an offense that gets these players into space and take advantage of that speed. I hope Marrone and his cronies have those abilities.

Out of Woods, Goodwin and Rogers, I'd say Goodwin is the only track guy trying to be a football player. Woods runs damn good routes and has great hands. Rogers is a lot more than just a sprinter from what I've seen.

If Goodwin was the only receiver they acquired, it would be more worrisome. I think he really is,at present at least, the track star trying to be the football player. Doesn't mean he'll stay that way.

On the other hand, even if he does, he can still be used effectively. He can be the guy that draws away the deep safety and opens things up in the middle of the field. If they decided to cheat up on him a little..he's the guy that can blow by someone. In other words, his speed cuts down on the margin of error for the defender.

coastal
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
God please let EJ be the real deal.

psubills62
05-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Out of Woods, Goodwin and Rogers, I'd say Goodwin is the only track guy trying to be a football player. Woods runs damn good routes and has great hands. Rogers is a lot more than just a sprinter from what I've seen.

If Goodwin was the only receiver they acquired, it would be more worrisome. I think he really is,at present at least, the track star trying to be the football player. Doesn't mean he'll stay that way.

On the other hand, even if he does, he can still be used effectively. He can be the guy that draws away the deep safety and opens things up in the middle of the field. If they decided to cheat up on him a little..he's the guy that can blow by someone. In other words, his speed cuts down on the margin of error for the defender.
I wasn't really thinking of Rogers or Woods, honestly. Had Goodwin and Graham in mind specifically.

Lexwhat
05-04-2013, 09:16 PM
I think Goodwin in at least 2 years away from making any sort of impact in this league... His learning curve is way greater than most other WRs coming out of college.

(IMO) you'll see Goodwin with maybe 20-25 catches this year. They'll probably have a few designed plays for him and TJ Graham... Right now I don't think Goodwin will even be able to get off the line of scrimmage.

I hate to say it, but I think this Offense will look more like Chan Gailey's offense last year in terms of the deep ball... The biggest improvement this year will be the Intermediate passing game and a more dynamic CJ Spiller.

DraftBoy
05-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I think speed is something the team as a whole has lacked for much of this playoff drought. Sure we've had players here or there but never total team speed like this. That being said speed doesn't win you games so its up to Pettine and Hackett to put in place schemes that take advantage of our speed.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2013, 12:20 AM
the bills have always had big time skill guys..

remember 2002, 04, even parts of 06, 011

only our qb has failed in miserable fashion

travis henry, shawn bryson, mcgahee, lee evans, parrish, lynch, even josh reed were all solid weapons, even damn good.

the qb blew balls

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2013, 12:22 AM
i dont think the average fan realizes how fast 4.6- 4.7 speed is in person....

Beebe's Kid
05-06-2013, 08:49 AM
If it doesn't work on the field, at least they'll be fun to play with on Madden...

stuckincincy
05-06-2013, 09:20 AM
i dont think the average fan realizes how fast 4.6- 4.7 speed is in person....

Especially if they're 6'8" and weigh 277 lb.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/margus-hunt?id=2539310

blackonyx89
05-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I can't wait to see the new WRs in action. This might possbly be one of the best WR corps in the NFL! All that speed, we'll see. WOW!!! :D

justasportsfan
05-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I heard Spiller is so fast that when he runs an oval track, he runs into himself from behind