PDA

View Full Version : Kiper on Da'Rick Rogers

Pinkerton Security
05-02-2013, 06:43 PM
WR Da'Rick Rogers (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30177/darick-rogers), signed by Buffalo Bills (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills)
Without exaggeration: If he can keep his act together, the onetime Vol could prove to be the most talented receiver on the Bills. That's a big "if," but the former Tennessee Tech receiver could become a threat.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9234576/2013-nfl-draft-darick-rogers-tony-jefferson-potential-impact-undrafted-free-agents

OOOOO boy, NOT THE DUDE is gonna cream himself.

OpIv37
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Only the Bills could have a UDFA getting more positive attention than guys they actually drafted.

Pinkerton Security
05-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Only the Bills could have a UDFA getting more positive attention than guys they actually drafted.

False, Nancy, equal amounts

Robert Woods (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29964/robert-woods), WR, No. 41 to Buffalo Bills (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills)Ready to play now. That's the book on Woods, who combines great hands, solid route-running skills, veteran chops when it comes to manipulating space on the sideline and an ability to become dangerous as an improviser when a play breaks down. Stevie Johnson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11458/steve-johnson) is productive but lacks speed, so Woods could quickly become a No. 1 option.

Night Train
05-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes.. we always need validation from Kiper and McShay.

Since when ?

Goobylal
05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah, Woods is expected to be a stud. Rogers will be a stud if he works hard and keeps out of trouble.

Pinkerton Security
05-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Since when ?

Who said we needed it? Do we need your opinion? Nope. Just posting what I saw :sorry:

BillsFever21
05-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm not saying any of the reports are good or bad but how come Kiper's comments matter when it's a positive review but when they are a negative review of someone we draft then he's just a ****** that doesn't know anything so it doesn't count?

Pinkerton Security
05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm not saying any of the reports are good or bad but how come Kiper's comments matter when it's a positive review but when they are a negative review of someone we draft then he's just a ****** that doesn't know anything so it doesn't count?

I never said this was the case, just posting what I saw. Chill out people. I was half doing this thread as a joke to make fun of NOT THE DUDE

Tatonka
05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
i can honestly say i have never been so excited to see what 6 wrs make the roster.. i pumped for the training camp battle.. the end result could be one of the deepest groups we have ever had.

BillsFever21
05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
I never said this was the case, just posting what I saw. Chill out people. I was half doing this thread as a joke to make fun of NOT THE DUDE

I wasn't necessarily replying to you but just in general. You see it all the time with our drafted players.

When Kiper or any of the other "draft" people on TV say something bad about a draftee then you have a group of people talking about how their opinion doesn't matter(which it doesn't) and they're just stupid and wrong and it isn't worth taking them seriously.

When them same people give a good review of a draft pick though(or undrafted player for that matter) then them same people will get all excited about the review and talk about what a great player he will be and how big of steal he was in the draft.

I was just replying in general. I don't listen much to what these guys have to say outside of the several top rated players that everybody in the business has listed as a top draft picks and positional rankings. The guys outside of that group is different though.

Most of these guys are just passing on information they got from somebody else, the couple minutes worth of game tape they may have watched or just talking out of their ass for entertainment purposes. When it comes to guys further down the draft board let alone undrafted players most of them are even more uninformed. I remember a couple years ago Kiper or McShay was talking about how Johnny White could end up being the steal of the draft, etc. Of course that got everybody excited that we had another starting worthy RB.

The only one that I put any stock in is Mike Mayock. He usually does a pretty good job every year of giving player reviews and most of his rankings are usually pretty close to where they were actually drafted. Especially in the first couple rounds or so.

The morale of the post was for people to either take these guys seriously or don't. Don't just cherry pick which ones have merit and talk about their great review on one player and then talk about how they don't know anything when they give a bad review on another player. It ends up working the same way with players in our division but in the opposite manner.

Pinkerton Security
05-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I wasn't necessarily replying to you but just in general. You see it all the time with our drafted players.

When Kiper or any of the other "draft" people on TV say something bad about a draftee then you have a group of people talking about how their opinion doesn't matter(which it doesn't) and they're just stupid and wrong and it isn't worth taking them seriously.

When them same people give a good review of a draft pick though(or undrafted player for that matter) then them same people will get all excited about the review and talk about what a great player he will be and how big of steal he was in the draft.

I was just replying in general. I don't listen much to what these guys have to say outside of the several top rated players that everybody in the business has listed as a top draft picks and positional rankings. The guys outside of that group is different though.

Most of these guys are just passing on information they got from somebody else, the couple minutes worth of game tape they may have watched or just talking out of their ass for entertainment purposes. When it comes to guys further down the draft board let alone undrafted players most of them are even more uninformed. I remember a couple years ago Kiper or McShay was talking about how Johnny White could end up being the steal of the draft, etc. Of course that got everybody excited that we had another starting worthy RB.

The only one that I put any stock in is Mike Mayock. He usually does a pretty good job every year of giving player reviews and most of his rankings are usually pretty close to where they were actually drafted. Especially in the first couple rounds or so.

The morale of the post was for people to either take these guys seriously or don't. Don't just cherry pick which ones have merit and talk about their great review on one player and then talk about how they don't know anything when they give a bad review on another player. It ends up working the same way with players in our division but in the opposite manner.

Yea I know what you mean - the overall consensus on Rogers however seems to be consistent - very talented guy with very much baggage. I myself like to take the sum total of what I read and form my own opinion, at least until they get on the field obviously.

Bert102176
05-02-2013, 07:43 PM
The only negative I have really seen is that we should of taken Manuel later then we did and I agree we should of taken eifert at 16 then woodsthen Manuel hell I think every picks we took would have been there a round later.

nolimit
05-02-2013, 08:07 PM
The only negative I have really seen is that we should of taken Manuel later then we did and I agree we should of taken eifert at 16 then woodsthen Manuel hell I think every picks we took would have been there a round later.

Are you for real?

OpIv37
05-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Amen to that.

And it's not just the draft/draft picks. Power rankings are stupid and irrelevant and just a pointless media exercise to fill air time/web space when we're #31. But if we start the season with a come-from-behind win over a good team and a blowout of a bad team and we're #11, suddenly everyone gets all excited about it.

Any national sportswriter who criticizes the Bills is bitter and uninformed. But if that same sportswriter compliments us a month later after a 3-1 stretch, suddenly they're a credible source again.

That's where the whole "homer" thing bothers me. During the games, I'm as big a homer as anyone else. There are scars on my hands and broken things in my basement as a result of my overzealous reaction during games. If I go to a home game, I lose my voice by halftime and can't talk for two days afterward. But between games, when the emotion dies down, that's when the objectivity needs to come in. Either Kiper knows what he's doing, or he doesn't. Either power rankings are meaningful, or they're just filler. A sportswriter is either knowledgeable or a hack, but don't change your views based on whether or not they are saying what you want to hear as a fan.

Skooby
05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
i can honestly say i have never been so excited to see what 6 wrs make the roster.. i pumped for the training camp battle.. the end result could be one of the deepest groups we have ever had.

It boils down to the above. We had no depth last year & look to have some this year, so with any luck we have improved.

feldspar
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Meh, I think that fans on either side of the fence are going to read into it what they wanna. You have fans that CHOOSE to be optimistic, and you have fans that CHOOSE to be pessimistic...and those guys think they are just being "real." Each side will find their justifications. People should have a wait-and-see approach, but that demographic generally isn't the type that spends its time on message boards saying "gee, I don't know." Kiper's opinions mean very little either way. Kiper is in the entertainment business, and his strange occupation is possible only because it sparks reactions from fans. NOBODY knows how this year's draft is going to play out...there is no possible way to know that.

So Kiper has an opinion...take it for what it's worth, which is really nothing more than a topic of conversation.

better days
05-03-2013, 01:23 AM

So Op, what do you think, Did the Bills replace the GREAT Donald Jones & David Nelson to your satisfaction?

swiper
05-03-2013, 04:57 AM

Remember James Hardy?

Pre-draft

At the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/NFL_Scouting_Combine), Hardy was a top 10 performer in the bench press, broad jump, 3-cone drill, and 20-yard shuttle. In the bench press Hardy finished 9th among WRs with 18 reps at 225 pounds. Hardy finished 8th in the broad jump with a distance of 10'5". He finished 7th in the 3-cone drill with a time of 6.84 seconds. He also finished tied for 7th in the 20-yard shuttle with a time of 4.20 seconds. Official 40-yard dash was 4.49.

Buffalo Bills

Hardy was drafted by the Buffalo Bills (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Buffalo_Bills) in the second round (41st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft). He signed a multi-year contract with the team on July 24.

On September 14, 2008, in his second game, Hardy caught his first touchdown late in a win against the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars). He finished the campaign with 9 catches for 87 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Hardy played in only 2 games all season in 2009, catching 1 pass for 9 yards.

On September 4, 2010 Hardy was released by the Bills.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hardy_(American_football))

RedEyE
05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Kiper is a douche bag

ublinkwescore
05-03-2013, 06:21 AM
I think by the end of the season, we could have a new no. 1, & #2 WR.

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 07:05 AM
So Op, what do you think, Did the Bills replace the GREAT Donald Jones & David Nelson to your satisfaction?

They replaced them with rookies who have proven ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the NFL. It's way too early to say if it's a good move. But, think about this: we are facing a very real prospect of starting a rookie QB throwing to Stevie, sophomore TJ Graham and a group of completely unproven rookies. That's a scary thought.

Oh, and while we were busy drafting WRs, we did nothing about G or CB.

Skooby
05-03-2013, 07:09 AM
They replaced them with rookies who have proven ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the NFL. It's way too early to say if it's a good move. But, think about this: we are facing a very real prospect of starting a rookie QB throwing to Stevie, sophomore TJ Graham and a group of completely unproven rookies. That's a scary thought.

I think we're good on the O-line. CB? I'm a scared about that.

jamze132
05-03-2013, 07:16 AM

Since when ?

You know how it works here. If Kiper, McShay, and Mayock say anything positive about Buffalo, we feel like we had the best draft in history. If any of those three say anything negative, they're ****ing wrong and a bunch of no-talent ass clowns.

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 07:16 AM
I think we're good on the O-line. CB? I'm a scared about that.

How are we good on the OL when we lost both a starting and backup guard and didn't sign anyone or draft anyone?

Captain Obvious
05-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Being that Robert Woods played at USC OP is never going to get on board with him. And because Woods and Goodwin and Rogers were just drafted and rookies he played the "unproven" card. So the Bills had 3 options this offseason 1) keep Nelson and Jones 2) draft a few WRs in the draft 3) sign Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings of both. Basically Better Days he will sit on the fence and not commit either way to say whether or not he thinks Nelson and Jones were adequately replaced

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Being that Robert Woods played at USC OP is never going to get on board with him. And because Woods and Goodwin and Rogers were just drafted and rookies he played the "unproven" card. So the Bills had 3 options this offseason 1) keep Nelson and Jones 2) draft a few WRs in the draft 3) sign Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings of both. Basically Better Days he will sit on the fence and not commit either way to say whether or not he thinks Nelson and Jones were adequately replaced

I don't know much abou the guys we drafted so I don't know if they were adequately replaced or not. And guess what? Neither do you or anyone else until they actually hit the field. I do think that it's a REALLY bad idea to have a rookie QB throwing to Stevie, a 2nd year man and a bunch of rookies. Way too little experience in the group.

and yes, I hate USC. But, I never said that USC players automatically can't succeed. I said I was leery of USC QUARTERBACKS. And, if you've paid attention to how they've performed in the NFL recently, you'd understand that the concern is justified. Sanchez, Cassell and Leinart all busted. Maybe it's just coincidence and it has nothing to do with USC, but when you are talking about a top 10 draft pick (which we had before the trade down), that's not a very smart risk to take.

Oh, and don't forget that because we had to draft WR's to replace Nelson and Jones, we lost the opportunity to draft G's to replace the two we lost and we lost the opportunity to bolster our thin CB corps.

Pinkerton Security
05-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Any rookie is obviously unproven in the NFL, however we got Woods who most consider easily the most NFL ready WR in the draft, and Rogers, who has played at a high level even against tough SEC competition, plus with Rogers there is really not much risk. Hes a pure bonus.

I dont understand why we didnt pick up some big body instead of drafting 2 safeties in the later rounds, but I do think we did our best to address the WR situation and give Manuel/Kolb some reasonably reliable targets.

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Any rookie is obviously unproven in the NFL, however we got Woods who most consider easily the most NFL ready WR in the draft, and Rogers, who has played at a high level even against tough SEC competition, plus with Rogers there is really not much risk. Hes a pure bonus.

I dont understand why we didnt pick up some big body instead of drafting 2 safeties in the later rounds, but I do think we did our best to address the WR situation and give Manuel/Kolb some reasonably reliable targets.

Well Rogers may be less risky on the field- plus he was a UDFA which means we didn't have to give up another opportunity to get him. But his off-the-field issues do make him a risk, at least in terms of whether or not we can count on him to be there.

Pinkerton Security
05-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Well Rogers may be less risky on the field- plus he was a UDFA which means we didn't have to give up another opportunity to get him. But his off-the-field issues do make him a risk, at least in terms of whether or not we can count on him to be there.

True, but i still say there is not much risk because we didnt spend much of anything to get him, if he acts up and we cut him we lose out on nothing except his potential productivity.

Skooby
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM
How are we good on the OL when we lost both a starting and backup guard and didn't sign anyone or draft anyone?

There was a interview with the coach / coaches & they felt very comfortable with their O-line & the reserves they currently had, now obviously that can change but it was specific for the O-line. CB was not discussed but we know that's an area of concern, at least it is IMO. If our pass rush improves, the CB might have an easier time of it.

Skooby
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
True, but i still say there is not much risk because we didnt spend much of anything to get him, if he acts up and we cut him we lose out on nothing except his potential productivity.

Which we would never know anyways unlesss he was fielded, I agreed on all of this.

Skooby
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM

We went from just Stevie, may be Graham / Smith to a huge amount more of depth / talent / potential in one draft. Not too shabby.

better days
05-03-2013, 08:37 AM

We didn't have to do anything about Guard or CB. Nix said before the draft that the Bills have players on the team to play Guard & They resigned McKelvin to play #2 CB. He did a good job at CB last year. And I doubt any ROOKIE CB would have played better than McKelvin will this year. Also, I will bet the Bills pick up a few more players a little later like they did Barnett.

And if Manuel can beat out Kolb he must be READY to play, but I doubt he does. In any case, whoever starts at QB will be a HUGE UPGRADE from Fitz.

And while they are ROOKIES, the WRS have MUCH MORE talent than Jones & Nelson. They don't have to play all that well to put up better numbers than Jones & Nelson did last year.

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
You're out of your mind if you think we don't have to do anything about G or CB. Yet another case of the Bills losing guys and attempting to replace them with their back-ups.

And Manuel beating out Kolb doesn't mean he's ready to play. It means he's better than Kolb, which isn't saying much.

The rookies have more POTENTIAL than Nelson and Jones. We don't know if they have talent yet.

It's naive to think we can put a bunch of inexperienced players in a new system and have it be effective right away. 2 or 3 years from now? Yeah, maybe we'll see results. But this season has disaster written all over it.

better days
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
You're out of your mind if you think we don't have to do anything about G or CB. Yet another case of the Bills losing guys and attempting to replace them with their back-ups.

And Manuel beating out Kolb doesn't mean he's ready to play. It means he's better than Kolb, which isn't saying much.

The rookies have more POTENTIAL than Nelson and Jones. We don't know if they have talent yet.

It's naive to think we can put a bunch of inexperienced players in a new system and have it be effective right away. 2 or 3 years from now? Yeah, maybe we'll see results. But this season has disaster written all over it.

Nix said the Bills have players on the team to play Guard & he must believe it or he would have drafted that position. Like I said McKelvin played CB well last year & was resigned to be the #2 WR. And which Rookie in the draft do you think could have played better than McKelvin? And no matter, they would be ROOKIES just like the Rookie WRS the Bills drafted.

And we do know the ROOKIES have more talent than Jones & Nelson, their SPEED at least is verified. We KNOW already they will stretch the field more than Jones or Nelson would & while Nelson has good hands, he is coming off an injury & there is no telling when he plays well again. As for Jones, no Rookie can do worse catching the ball than Jones. Like I said the Rookies don't have to play all that well to put up BETTER NUMBERS than Jones or Nelson.

And whoever is the QB, he will be able to throw downfield to the WRS unlike Fitz.

No doubt 2 or 3 years from now the Rookies will be better than this year, but they all have the potential to be BETTER this year than Fitz, Jones & Nelson were last year.

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Nix said the Bills have players on the team to play Guard & he must believe it or he would have drafted that position. Like I said McKelvin played CB well last year & was resigned to be the #2 WR. And which Rookie in the draft do you think could have played better than McKelvin? And no matter, they would be ROOKIES just like the Rookie WRS the Bills drafted.

And we do know the ROOKIES have more talent than Jones & Nelson, their SPEED at least is verified. We KNOW already they will stretch the field more than Jones or Nelson would & while Nelson has good hands, he is coming off an injury & there is no telling when he plays well again. As for Jones, no Rookie can do worse catching the ball than Jones. Like I said the Rookies don't have to play all that well to put up BETTER NUMBERS than Jones or Nelson.

And whoever is the QB, he will be able to throw downfield to the WRS unlike Fitz.

No doubt 2 or 3 years from now the Rookies will be better than this year, but they all have the potential to be BETTER this year than Fitz, Jones & Nelson were last year.

The bolded part is just piss-poor logic. If Nix says we have guys who can play G on the team already, it gets him off the hook for actually having to find one. We've heard that nonsense from various Bills' FO's in the past. I mean seriously- we lost both our starting G and our back-up. Do you REALLY think we have a 3rd string G on a 6-10 team who is a legit NFL starter? Come on. Don't be so naive.

And McKelvin didn't play well last year. He was OK, which is an improvement since he was complete toast in the past. But he's still not a legit NFL starter either.

There's no guarantee that whatever QB we have will throw the ball downfield better than Fitz. They may have better arm strength than Fitz, but that's not the same as accuracy and it doesn't mean they can actually make the reads to know where to go, especially since they're all new to the system. And as far as the WR's, speed is not the same as talent. Remember Antonio Brown from a few years back? Lightning fast in a straight line, couldn't run a route or make a cut to save his life.

Here's the thing about potential: it may or may not be reached. You seem WAY too confident that it wiill be, and that it will be reached fast. I'm cautiously optimistic that this could pay off in the long term, but I seriously doubt we're going to see results this year. 2013 is training camp for 2014.

Captain Obvious
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
And while they are ROOKIES, the WRS have MUCH MORE talent than Jones & Nelson.

You're wasting your time trying to argue this point OPIV has already admitted he doesn't know anything about them or have a clue about the new Rookie WRs

OpIv37
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
You're wasting your time trying to argue this point OPIV has already admitted he doesn't know anything about them or have a clue about the new Rookie WRs

You're wasting your time if you think what I know or don't know about them has any relevance. As of right now, they have done NOTHING on an NFL field so you can't say if they have more talent than Jones and Nelson. All they have right now is potential. That's different than talent.

The last buffalo fan
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Good and valid points of view, and like you used to say Opi, be prepare for the worst and hope for the best ...... enjoy the Games as much as you can, because there is nothing that you can do about it, if you don't pay the BILLS! :gobills:

better days
05-04-2013, 08:00 AM
You're wasting your time if you think what I know or don't know about them has any relevance. As of right now, they have done NOTHING on an NFL field so you can't say if they have more talent than Jones and Nelson. All they have right now is potential. That's different than talent.

Well, you may prefer someone like Jones that we KNOW is MEDIOCRE or Nelson that we know is injured & has limited ability at best, but I will take this new crop of WRs with their unproven as yet potential to be GREAT.

JohnnyGold
05-04-2013, 08:10 AM
During the games, I'm as big a homer as anyone else. There are scars on my hands and broken things in my basement as a result of my overzealous reaction during games. If I go to a home game, I lose my voice by halftime and can't talk for two days afterward. But between games, when the emotion dies down, that's when the objectivity needs to come in. Either Kiper knows what he's doing, or he doesn't. Either power rankings are meaningful, or they're just filler. A sportswriter is either knowledgeable or a hack, but don't change your views based on whether or not they are saying what you want to hear as a fan.

I've been reading various Buffalo Bills message boards for many years, and I can honestly say this is the best post I have seen on what it should mean to be a Bills fan. This should be put on the front page of every Bills website on the internet--hell, put it above the entrances to the stadium.

Just because you rip the team to shreds monday through saturday, doesn't mean you're a hypocrite or a bad person if you go bananas rooting for the team on sunday. So many terms are thrown around, and one in particular bothers me: "drinking the kool aid". Like you're naive, or somehow intellectually inferior for being excited about the prospects of your football team, four and half months before the season even kicks off.

And I know what I'm about to say will only sound like so much hyperbole, but honestly... honestly honestly honestly... if you can't find some times to be happy rooting for the Bills... (whether it be after the draft when discussing the potential for the wide outs... or before the first preseason game to see how manuel does... or before week 1 to see if we can kick the pats ass... or before a week 11 game when we're 4-6, and need to win out to make the playoffs...) then what is the point of being a bills fan?

If you insist on being the one to piss in everyone's coffee, there are far better things to do in life than putting yourself through the misery of being a bills fan. It's not about the justification that could, possibly, come 10 or 20 years down the road if we ever win a super bowl. I'm saying, if you can't find a reason RIGHT NOW, when this team isn't very good, to enjoy following the buffalo bills... why do it?