PDA

View Full Version : Manuel in position to flourish more than any other QB in draft

BLeonard
05-04-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22189998/manuel-in-position-to-flourish-more-than-any-other-qb-in-draft

He should start immediately, not only because there's opportunity, but because he fits what Doug Marrone is trying to do in Buffalo. He's big, he's mobile and he has enormous hands to grip a football in bad weather.

"They're going to get the ball out of his hands really fast," our offensive coordinator said. "And I think they're going to use the read-option much like Seattle did with [Russell] Wilson."

He thinks Manuel will be successful, but only if the Bills retool the league's 22nd-ranked defense. If not, he estimated Manuel's chances of long-term success as nothing more than "OK." The key here is that Manuel isn't going it alone; the Bills found him wide receivers in Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin, plus tight end Chris Gragg, to go along with Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller. The Bills must think Manuel is the right guy for them. He is only the third quarterback Buffalo has chosen with a first-round pick.

Short-term future: Should start immediately. There's opportunity, with Manuel competing against Kevin Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson, and let's just say I like his chances.

Long term: Could become a franchise quarterback, though I know the odds are against it. Buffalo has not only gone through 10 starting quarterbacks the past 13 seasons, it hasn't had anyone start more than three straight seasons in that time.

-Bill

better days
05-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I like Manuels chances better long term than short term. I think Kolb starts on opening day & plays until he gets injured.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I like Manuels chances better long term than short term. I think Kolb starts on opening day & plays until he gets injured.

So you're saying EJ takes over the show in week three?

better days
05-05-2013, 01:33 AM
So you're saying EJ takes over the show in week three?

Well, I don't really want to predict the week.

ublinkwescore
05-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Kolb will only get hurt if he is tearing it up.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I love the Manuel pick, but there is no way he will be ready to start on Opening Day.

Best case scenario is after the Bye Week when we are 1-10 or 2-9 to start the remaining 5 meaningless games when there is no pressure.

Meathead
05-05-2013, 12:11 PM
best case scenario is kolb stays healthy and plays well enough to keep the team in the playoff hunt through the end of the season. that lets the bills shop him and get value over the offseason to make way for ej

but yeah most likely ejs starting around midseason

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
best case scenario is kolb stays healthy and plays well enough to keep the team in the playoff hunt through the end of the season. that lets the bills shop him and get value over the offseason to make way for ej

but yeah most likely ejs starting around midseason
Kolb came free to us, so any short term success he has will have already get us enough value.

With that said I'd love to be in a similar situation as SF last season, with Smith playing well then EJ takes over due to an injury then we trade Kolb away.

bleve
05-05-2013, 02:19 PM
I like that fact they're at least trying to set him up for success. The improvement of the defense, more so than the weapons, will perhaps give him a much better chance.

psubills62
05-06-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22203399/finding-the-fits-alonso-could-star-as-qb-of-bills-defense

The perception by many is that the Bills' selection of Manuel at No. 16 overall was a reach. Representatives from multiple teams have told me, however, that they saw the former Florida State star as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft class. One highly placed source for a team other than the Bills said Manuel was the best "by a wide margin."

BillsFever21
05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
If anyone thinks we could pull a San Francisco with Kevin Kolb is really dreaming. Smith at least had a couple successful and winning seasons before the trade and showed the ability to stay healthy.

One team in the Cardinals already took the bait of giving away high draft picks for Kevin Kolb. Unless he had a couple good seasons we would be lucky to get a 6th round draft pick out of him. Since we drafted Manuel he wouldn't get that much time unless by some miracle we were winning 10 games a season AND he was staying healthy. Either of them cases are very unlikely to happen the next couple years.

Kolb is nothing more then a lousy injury prone QB who might win the starting job to begin the season if he is lucky. He will surely get injured again at some point and then it will be the Manuel era. There is plenty enough history with Kolb now unlike a few years ago when Arizona traded for him.

SpikedLemonade
05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
If anyone thinks we could pull a San Francisco with Kevin Kolb is really dreaming. Smith at least had a couple successful and winning seasons before the trade and showed the ability to stay healthy.

One team in the Cardinals already took the bait of giving away high draft picks for Kevin Kolb. Unless he had a couple good seasons we would be lucky to get a 6th round draft pick out of him. Since we drafted Manuel he wouldn't get that much time unless by some miracle we were winning 10 games a season AND he was staying healthy. Either of them cases are very unlikely to happen the next couple years.

Kolb is nothing more then a lousy injury prone QB who might win the starting job to begin the season if he is lucky. He will surely get injured again at some point and then it will be the Manuel era. There is plenty enough history with Kolb now unlike a few years ago when Arizona traded for him.

For a team that traded away Lynch for virtually nothing, to expect we could someday trade Kolb for anything is the best example of homerism.

I hope Kolb plays well.

He or Jackson should start Opening Day.

I expect teams to dominate our OL this season.

There will be thread after thread this year asking why Spiller is dancing in the backfield rather than hitting the hole -- the answer is that there will not be a hole.

I don't believe that starting Manuel any time before the Bye Week will further his development.

better days
05-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Smith was TERRIBLE until Harbaugh became the HC of the 49ers. Kolb is injury prone, but when healthy he is damn good.