PDA

View Full Version : Remaining Free Agent Targets?

swiper
05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Bills will be on the lookout for missing puzzle pieces

By Jay Skurski (jskurski@buffnews.com) | News Sports Reporter
on May 4, 2013 - 11:50 PM

<!--Related media --><!--Related links --><!--Related articles --><!-- End Related articles --><!--Related galleries --><!--End Related galleries -->

<!-- fac-gd2-noad --><!-- gd2-status-2 --><!--cSctn has invalid value--><!--rTg has invalid value--><!--rTg has invalid value--><!----><!--QYZ CMS_NONE_SELECTED,,98.136.133.84;160x601;ipbtf;;2;-->http://csc.beap.ad.yieldmanager.net/i?bv=1.0.0&bs=(12k4fu7g0(gid$3699f7f4-b58b-11e2-9fa6-a336410f507d,st$1367762029567381,si$1344551,pv$0,v$2.0))&t=blank&al=(as$1218sgpp5,aid$favMNEwNjek-,cr$-1,ct$25,at$0)

<style type="text/css">.articleP a {text-decoration:underline;}.articleP h3 {font-size:1.1em;}</style>The Buffalo Bills did well to fill some holes on their roster in last weekend’s NFL Draft.

But as you might expect for a team that has gone 6-10 the past two seasons, there are still some positions that could use an upgrade – or at the very least added competition for the penciled-in starter.
General Manager Buddy Nix expressed an interest prior to the draft in continuing to explore the veteran free agent market.

“You know, I think it’s very likely,” he said. “We brought in Nick Barnett after camp started and he played two good years for us. So we’ll be in business up until we start the preseason. There’s still guys out there.”

Barnett was signed in 2011 two days after he was released by the Green Bay Packers.

“Players will be released. There’s still some cap work that needs to be done on a lot of teams so there will be good players popping up. You just have to be ready, and we track them,” said Tom Gibbons, the Bills’ director of pro personnel. “If there were to be a player come available, I don’t think there’d be any question that we’d sign him ... up until camp if we felt the player could help us.”

Should the Bills choose to go bargain hunting in the current market, here are a few players who fit positions of need.

Brandon Moore, left guard, New York Jets: Moore has started 137 consecutive games for New York since 2004, including every game the past eight seasons. Moore, who will be 33 in June, took over as a starter in New York while current Bills coach Doug Marrone was working as the Jets’ offensive line coach. Moore would immediately go to the top of the Bills’ depth chart at left guard, the position left void when Andy Levitre signed as a free agent with the Tennessee Titans. Moore has visited Miami and Detroit, while also drawing some interest from Chicago and Dallas. A report from NFL.com last month suggested Moore was looking for “starter money,” a possible reason he remains unsigned. A one-year contract in the range of $3 million could be a good match for both sides.

Sheldon Brown, cornerback, Cleveland Browns: Brown started 14 games for the Browns last season and had 60 tackles, three interceptions and 12 passes defensed. He played 903 snaps last season. Opposing quarterbacks had a rating of 85.1 when throwing against Brown, according to advanced statistics complied by the website profootballfocus.com. Brown, however, is 34, so age is working against him.

The Bills surprisingly did not select a cornerback last weekend – a position Nix has said he likes to take in every draft. However, the team believes fourth-round pick Duke Williams can be used in that role some. As it stands now with Aaron Williams being moved to safety, the Bills’ starters on the outside are Stephon Gilmore and Leodis McKelvin, with Rob Brooks and Justin Rogers in the slot, or nickel cornerback role. The Bills also have T.J. Heath and Crezdon Butler. They finished last season on the 53-man roster.

Karlos Dansby, inside linebacker, Miami Dolphins: The Bills hosted Dansby on a free agent visit prior to the draft, but as Nix put it: “I would just say it did not work out, to be honest.” However, that was before the Bills traded inside linebacker Kelvin Sheppard to the Indianapolis Colts. Nix did indicate that the Bills would keep dialogue open with Dansby, who had 134 tackles and started all 16 games last year for the Dolphins.

The Bills used a second-round pick on Oregon linebacker Kiko Alonso, who has the flexibility to play inside or outside. Alonso is penciled in as a starter next to second-year man Nigel Bradham. Dansby, 31, would seem to have some good years ahead of him. The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder set a career high in tackles last season. He could play in the middle or on the weak side, and also serve as a mentor to the Bills’ promising younger players at the position.

Bart Scott, inside linebacker, New York Jets: Somewhat surprisingly, the Bills haven’t gone to the former Jets well in an effort to bring in players who could serve as “coaches on the field” for defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s scheme. Scott, who’s a week or two away from being fully recovered from offseason surgery on his toe, could fit in that role. He’ll be 33 in the upcoming season.

Dallas Clark, tight end, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: It’s very much uncertain that Scott Chandler will be ready by opening week after tearing the ACL in his left knee in December. The Bills added Chris Gragg in the seventh round of the draft, but have very little experience at the position, which has been picked over pretty well in free agency. Clark, who will be 34 at the start of the season, had 47 catches and four touchdowns last year. He should be capable of keeping the seat warm until Chandler is 100 percent.

The Bills successfully waited out the market for Alan Branch, and were able to add him on a one-year deal last month. Nix and Co. are taking a similar approach with other veteran options.

“We’ll keep looking, and if they fit we’ll be in the market,” Nix said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130504/SPORTS/130509573/1082

clumping platelets
05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
I haven't read the Sports page yet :mad:

Goobylal
05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Add-in Eric Winston and Tyson Clabo at RT.

DraftBoy
05-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Roster is full at 90 so every addition means another cut. Not that there isn't room for cuts, just saying.

BillsU
05-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Sounds like Clabo is signing with the Dolphins.

Goobylal
05-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Yep, just saw he took a 1-year deal.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Any OL help would be nice.

Doesn't sound positive about Dansby.

ServoBillieves
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Some team will get desperate enough to give Dansby his money once training camp injuries begin

DraftBoy
05-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I'd still take Winston to play RT at this point.

Rob's House
05-05-2013, 11:55 AM

He's best in a zone block scheme which, I'm not certain, but I don't believe we'll be running. If not, I don't see him as an upgrade over either Hairston or Pears.

Meathead
05-05-2013, 12:17 PM
i find it odd that they made an emphasis that theyd sign players that shake free 'up until camp'. more than any other position the oline is where you can get quality players after each level of cuts. plus i believe they signed several guys on the oline well into camp that are now starters or primary backups (pears & urbik) so i cant see why they wouldnt do that again

djjimkelly
05-05-2013, 01:04 PM

i normally agree with most of your assessments on the pro players but........

eric winston doesnt belong in this league hes smart well spoken and so on. he just is not talented enough to stick on any roster.

im sure he will play somewhere next season it better not be here becuz he isnt good at all

OpIv37
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
This wreaks of the lazy parent who goes to the toy store an hour before it closes on Christmas Eve.

Sure, they're going to find something that their kid will like, but all the best new toys got picked over by more responsible parents a long-ass time ago and they'll be settling for the rejects that the other parents didn't deem worthy.

Rob's House
05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
This wreaks of the lazy parent who goes to the toy store an hour before it closes on Christmas Eve.

Sure, they're going to find something that their kid will like, but all the best new toys got picked over by more responsible parents a long-ass time ago and they'll be settling for the rejects that the other parents didn't deem worthy.

That, or it could be more like the parents that wait for the overinflated price on the newest toy to go down so they can ultimately buy their kids more toys.

djjimkelly
05-05-2013, 02:52 PM

sometimes its the toy u dont expect to be liked that gets played with the most

Goobylal
05-05-2013, 03:17 PM
That, or it could be more like the parents that wait for the overinflated price on the newest toy to go down so they can ultimately buy their kids more toys.
Yeah, it's more like ignoring the crazy pre-X-mas prices, waiting until after X-mas, and then choosing a cheaper, better toy.

cookie G
05-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Brandon Moore should be a no brainer

coastal
05-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Give him the $3 million right now.

cookie G
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Give him the $3 million right now.

Yep. This isn't that difficult of a concept.

-You have a rookie QB that may be slow on making reads; or

-a QB with a rep for holding on to the ball for too long.

Do you wish to put either at unnecessary risk by throwing in some 27 year old with like ...2 career starts, or one of your UDFA's?

Getting the ball out quick, 3 and 5 step drops...that's fine.. but it does little when a DT blows by one of these guys, or an inside blitz creams your QB.

Buddy needs to quit being stubborn and thinking he's some type of UDFA OL genius. At the least, get him as a stop gap for a year or two.

PS.. I told you you should have put Q. Patton in your 5 card studs. Did you hear what happened after he was drafted by the Niners?

Wide receiver Quinton Patton hasn't even set foot on the 49ers facility or participated in a practice, but he's already made a lasting impression on coach Jim Harbaugh.
"He's already my favorite guy," Harbaugh said on an interview on KNBR radio Wednesday afternoon.
Patton earned Harbaugh's affection earlier this week when he flew from Nashville to San Francisco on his own dime and called the 49ers to alert them to his pending arrival at the team's facility in Santa Clara.
It seems someone forgot to make it clear to Patton, who was drafted in the fourth round Saturday, that he wasn't permitted to be at the 49ers facility until the first mini-camp next week.
"We had to go, 'You're where? What airport did you fly in to? You're in a rental car driving here?'" Harbaugh said. "'Yeah, coach, 20 minutes away.' We go, 'He can't be here, he can't come here. He's not allowed to be at our facility.'"
If Patton had made it to Santa Clara before being stopped by the 49ers, he wouldn't have been allowed to participate in the mini-camp.

"The fact that he would buy his own ticket, fly out here, just speaks volumes about him," Harbaugh said of Patton, who last season played for new Cal coach Sonny Dykes at Louisiana Tech. "To be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That's something I would have done. I love it."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_23151569/san-francisco-49ers-draft-pick-scores-big-points

swiper
05-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Who exactly is the Bills starting left guard as of right now?

I have seen it listed as David Snow (http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/05/buffalo_bills_post-draft_depth.html).

I have seen it listed as Colin Brown (http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/).

cookie G
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Who exactly is the Bills starting left guard as of right now?

I have seen it listed as David Snow (http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/05/buffalo_bills_post-draft_depth.html).

I have seen it listed as Colin Brown (http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/).

Yeah, they signed Zack Chilbane out of Syracuse as an UFDA. he was the 61st ranked guard.

They have Ryan Turnley as a UFDA center out of Pitt. He was the 21st ranked center.

They could move Sanders to guard (I thought they said they were not), but he didn't look too good in the Senior bowl against the bigger D linemen, and he's coming off double hip surgery.

They have Keith Williams from Nebraska, who was a 6th round pick of the Steelers two years ago and was cut. he ended up playing on their practice squad.

Going for the long shots is all well and good, but they just invested in their new house (Manuel). Trying to raise funds for the property insurance by buying lotto tickets isn't a smart move.

BertSquirtgum
05-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Definitely. He should already be signed.

stuckincincy
05-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Getting the ball out quick, 3 and 5 step drops...that's fine.. but it does little when a DT blows by one of these guys, or an inside blitz creams your QB.

Yep. As the rules favoring the pass continue apace, teams are turning up the interior rush to get to the qb before the wrs get safely past five yards and/or before the qb can roll away from exterior pressure.

It's no surprise that the guard spot is rising in prominence - two drafted in the 1st round this year, two in the 1st in 2012.

coastal
05-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Do you wish to put either at unnecessary risk by throwing in some 27 year old with like ...2 career starts, or one of your UDFA's?

Buddy needs to quit being stubborn and thinking he's some type of UDFA OL genius. At the least, get him as a stop gap for a year or two.

PS.. I told you you should have put Q. Patton in your 5 card studs. Did you hear what happened after he was drafted by the Niners?

Wide receiver Quinton Patton hasn't even set foot on the 49ers facility or participated in a practice, but he's already made a lasting impression on coach Jim Harbaugh.
"He's already my favorite guy," Harbaugh said on an interview on KNBR radio Wednesday afternoon.
Patton earned Harbaugh's affection earlier this week when he flew from Nashville to San Francisco on his own dime and called the 49ers to alert them to his pending arrival at the team's facility in Santa Clara.
It seems someone forgot to make it clear to Patton, who was drafted in the fourth round Saturday, that he wasn't permitted to be at the 49ers facility until the first mini-camp next week.
"We had to go, 'You're where? What airport did you fly in to? You're in a rental car driving here?'" Harbaugh said. "'Yeah, coach, 20 minutes away.' We go, 'He can't be here, he can't come here. He's not allowed to be at our facility.'"
If Patton had made it to Santa Clara before being stopped by the 49ers, he wouldn't have been allowed to participate in the mini-camp.

"The fact that he would buy his own ticket, fly out here, just speaks volumes about him," Harbaugh said of Patton, who last season played for new Cal coach Sonny Dykes at Louisiana Tech. "To be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That's something I would have done. I love it."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_23151569/san-francisco-49ers-draft-pick-scores-big-pointsgood call on your part. San Fran, Seattle and Ravens... and of course it has to be San Fran.

DraftBoy
05-05-2013, 09:10 PM
He's best in a zone block scheme which, I'm not certain, but I don't believe we'll be running. If not, I don't see him as an upgrade over either Hairston or Pears.

Cuse ran a lot of ZBS concept schemes last couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, they signed Zack Chilbane out of Syracuse as an UFDA. he was the 61st ranked guard.

They have Ryan Turnley as a UFDA center out of Pitt. He was the 21st ranked center.

They could move Sanders to guard (I thought they said they were not), but he didn't look too good in the Senior bowl against the bigger D linemen, and he's coming off double hip surgery.

They have Keith Williams from Nebraska, who was a 6th round pick of the Steelers two years ago and was cut. he ended up playing on their practice squad.

Going for the long shots is all well and good, but they just invested in their new house (Manuel). Trying to raise funds for the property insurance by buying lotto tickets isn't a smart move.

Chibane I believe is the first Algerian player ever in a NFL camp.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2013, 12:00 AM
sam young will be our lg. and will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

the oline is fine, let it go

swiper
05-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Yeah. They certainly could have made more of an effort to shore up that position. I can't believe Moore wouldn't take a $3 million contract. And it's unlikely the Bills wouldn't do that for a year or even two.

Sam Young looked stiff when playing Rt here in the past. I was more of a fan when he initially signed here than I am now, after seeing him play.

Buddo
05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Have to say that there seems to be options out there.
It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't waiting for the rookie mini-camp this weekend, to assess more where they want to make their additions.
Tbh, Moore, Dansby and Clark, would make an awful lot of sense to me. At the very least, they would provide competent depth, in areas in which we are lacking. All 3 guys are more than capable enough to still be starters, although Clark has lost a step, yet is still going to be a handy red zone threat - much like you would expect Chandler to be when he gets fitness back.
I also think that they could all provide some veteran leadership, on what is by and large a young team still.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Yeah one strange meme that got repeated when Levitre walked is that LG wasn't important because the LT takes on the opposing team's best pass rusher.

But of course, you are one tackle-end stunt away from having that bargain basement left guard taking on that same defender. Often 1 on 1.

Sounds like a great pickup. One of my favorite stories was a team calling up one of these UDFA's a few years back and asking him: "Are you willing to come to a tryout for us for $500?" And the kid responded: "Sure, but it will take a few days to come up with that cash."

BillsFever21
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
The guard spot doesn't matter. We can throw anybody in there and get the same production as Levitre. It has so little importance there were only two of them drafted in the top 10 this season. Then one of the teams who drafted that guard also signed Levitre too.

BillsFever21
05-06-2013, 08:20 PM
sam young will be our lg. and will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

the oline is fine, let it go

Is there any position on player on the team that isn't "fine" in your eyes? LOL

Your rose colored glasses are so magnified that even the majority of the most overly optimistic fans on a yearly basis cringe when they read some of this stuff. In your glasses almost every backup on our team could be a starter and every starting player has pro-bowl potential with many of them bound for the HOF.

BillsFever21
05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Yep. As the rules favoring the pass continue apace, teams are turning up the interior rush to get to the qb before the wrs get safely past five yards and/or before the qb can roll away from exterior pressure.

It's no surprise that the guard spot is rising in prominence - two drafted in the 1st round this year, two in the 1st in 2012.

Actually there were three of them this year. Kyle Long was also selected by the Bears and will probably be playing guard. So basically that is two of them in the top 10 and three of them in the top 20 this year.

For a league where it's "easy" to find guards who are pretty interchangeable there were sure enough teams to invest high draft picks in them this season.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Any OL help would be nice.

Doesn't sound positive about Dansby.

Or just a guard because all the other positions are set and the line was very good last year.

X-Era
05-07-2013, 05:04 AM
I don't expect much to happen until after the OTA's...

The staff may want to see what they have at this point and then fill in a few spots before TC.

GingerP
05-07-2013, 10:09 AM
If Wood gets hurt again the interior line could really become an issue.

Meathead
05-07-2013, 02:45 PM

i got a rock