PDA

View Full Version : Any JoePa/Penn State Fans Out There?

R. Rich
07-11-2003, 09:56 AM
I'm just curious. I've been a big Penn State fan for many years. I even went to see them play in the Sugar Bowl in '82 when they beat Georgia for the national championship (seeing Herschel Walker crying on the bench was sweet!). One of my alltime favorite players was Curt Warner. He was such a great RB! Even when he went to Seattle, he was still one of the best. Injuries robbed him of a great NFL career, but he had his moments. How 'bout the rest of you? Any Nittany Lions fans out there?

LtBillsFan66
07-11-2003, 09:58 AM
ME!

We arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre....
PENN STATE!

Patrick76777
07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Same here. Love Penn St.

Judge
07-11-2003, 11:16 AM
I hate them, and root against them as much as I hate Notre Dame and the Dolphins- does that count?

You might wonder why- as a Syracuse fan, I still recall the pre-Big 10 era and the great rivalry between the schools.

eyedog
07-11-2003, 11:24 AM
I hate them also. I don't like the easy non-conference schedule they usually play for automatic wins, although I must say they have toughened it up some the last couple of years. They did make me some good money when they had that good team with k. Carter at rb. But I love betting against them usually. Especially when they are ranked real high. They will then play a good team and get their asses kicked. Money in the bank. Like a couple of years ago they were ranked top -5 and Michigan came into Happy Valley and gave them a beating and they then went to mich st. and got another licking. They are always overrated by the national media because they all suck Joe Pa.

Patrick76777
07-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Well the do have a nice little schedule this year, but it's been tough lately. I just love the cold weather old school type smashmouth football they play. Plain white helmets, No names on the jersey's. Good times.

eyedog
07-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Yes that is Joe Pa's style. Unfortunately for him it has been catching up to him. He coaches like he is still in the 70's and 80's. In todays game you have to be able to throw some downfield. I also don't think they have done as well as they should have the last couple of years. Look at the talent they have sent to the NFl in the last 3-4 years.

The_Philster
07-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Penn State all the way! I finally even got helmetguy to take them as his second major team. One of these days maybe I'll even get him to realize we're better than Notre Dame. :evil:
Someone joined us here a few months back who is running a college football forum and Dozer and I joined up. Site (http://sportsad.nexcess.net/index.php?)
I found out Dozer likes the :puke: Buckeyes.

R. Rich
07-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Good point. The recruiting is not up to par there. It must be hard to recruit there not knowing how much longer JoePa will be there, but they still should be able to find a better group of LBs than what they have. To me, Gino Capone is decent, but overrated. I didn't see him (or any PSU linebacker, for that matter) stuff many running backs behind the line of scrimmage or at the line. Most of the tackles came after nice gains. Oh, and their coverage at LB stinks! With better talent there, they could've won both the Iowa and Ohio State games last year. The secondary was good and the line was very good, but the LBs brought the entire unit down. I do hope they will find some guys who can step in there and make the defense solid, especially with the losses in the secondary and the line.

The_Philster
07-11-2003, 03:50 PM
JoePa used to tell every recruit that he'd be there for the entire length of their stay at PSU...he stopped doing that about 3 years ago.