PDA

View Full Version : Why I believ EJ starts week 1

Yasgur's Farm
05-06-2013, 05:45 PM
IMO... EJ should start for the following reasons:

1) The offense is being built to take advantage of EJ's strengths... Quick pace and speed.
2) The high speed quick offense requires learning and gelling as a unit... Especially due to youth.
3) If Kolb (or even Jackson) starts, it would probably require a slower version to accomodate them... That's sort of counter productive for the long haul... It stunts the growth.

We may as well take advantage of this season of low expectations to install the new offense in it's intended state... And get our rooks and younger players some game experience.

SpikedLemonade
05-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I would love if Manuel was ready to start by Opening Day, but if you watched him play, he just needs time to process the information in front of him.

Unless he takes a huge step forward all of a sudden, he needs time.

He really is raw.

I sense although he can run, he really doesn't want to.

Novacane
05-06-2013, 06:34 PM
He should only start if he clearly wins the job ala Russel Wilson last year. I don't want him rushed. It could ruin him.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-06-2013, 06:42 PM
He should only start if he clearly wins the job ala Russel Wilson last year. I don't want him rushed. It could ruin him.

Furthermore, if we rush him, the only way we prevent it from ruining him is to let him take his licks and learn from his mistakes. The absolute worst thing we could do to the kid is to let him start, let him lose three or four games horribly and then bench him and then later throw him back out, let him lose three or four more and bench him again. If he starts, its only when he's damn ready for the job and when we are fully willing to commit to him as our long term qb. We give him three years to improve. Yes, I know, Fitz and Trent and JP, but well we are believing he's the answer and if so we commit to keeping him and our HC and OC and QB coach in place until he shakes the bugs out of his game and we show that he is the only one we are confident in. If he shows no improvement between year one and two we draft a new qb and light the fire under him. I don't think he should play till next year, but when we do commit to him we go full tilt.

Meathead
05-07-2013, 04:40 AM
so youre saying a recent college grad who has never played a game for money is going to be able to process a pro level offense faster than two veteran professionals who have been running west coast like offenses for years

yeah no that makes perfect sense

Yasgur's Farm
05-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Nope... I'm saying that the 11 man unit (as currently designed) will ultimately function better with Manuel than with Kolb or Jackson.

coastal
05-07-2013, 05:51 AM
We suck.

better days
05-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Nope... I'm saying that the 11 man unit (as currently designed) will ultimately function better with Manuel than with Kolb or Jackson.

Maybe that will be true down the road, but I doubt Manuel can read an NFL defense as well as Kolb or TJax at this point.

justasportsfan
05-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Whoever moves the chains with his ARMS starts. The QB must be able make a D pay when they try to stack the box to stop the run.

Although the read-option could be an added weapon , it is not that important with a rb like Spiller. It could be an option in the redzone.

Bill Cody
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
IMO... EJ should start for the following reasons:

1) The offense is being built to take advantage of EJ's strengths... Quick pace and speed.
2) The high speed quick offense requires learning and gelling as a unit... Especially due to youth.
3) If Kolb (or even Jackson) starts, it would probably require a slower version to accomodate them... That's sort of counter productive for the long haul... It stunts the growth.

It's a tough call. We will probably win fewer games if Manuel starts right away but it does get him learning at a faster pace playing. If they see enough "wow" plays in camp they may be willing to live with the "learning curve" mistakes. If I had to put money on it right now I'd say Kolb right now but you may be right.

We may as well take advantage of this season of low expectations to install the new offense in it's intended state... And get our rooks and younger players some game experience.

It's a tough call. I think it all depends how fast Manuel progresses in camp. This is a big jump for him.

Yasgur's Farm
05-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe that will be true down the road, but I doubt Manuel can read an NFL defense as well as Kolb or TJax at this point.That's the thing... With Kolb or Jackson they will probably be a better bunch for a little while. But I see the improvement curve with either of those 2 to be fairly flat.

Meanwhile, I see the curve with Manual behind center to be steep and overtaking Kolb/Jackson led units pretty quickly. However, if Manual's not playing, the curve will be stagnent.

jamze132
05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty sure Kolb will be the starter for at least the first half if the season.