PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hughes “turned the corner” last year

justasportsfan
05-07-2013, 08:37 AM
“Last year, as I watched him in Indianapolis, I really felt that he turned the corner,” Polian said. “He became much more assertive. He was flying to the ball. He was doing all of the things we thought he could do when we drafted him. And that’s fine. He was in his third year-that’s when they should start to contribute. He did a really good job of it. I think the light went on for him, as the saying goes.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/05/06/jerry-hughes-turned-the-corner-last-year/

I am very intrigued by our linebacker position now. Should be interesting to see where Anderson and Mario fits into the lber postion. From having nothing, this could be a position of strength. :idunno:

Pinkerton Security
05-07-2013, 09:15 AM
It could be very good. It could also be very bad if these young guys dont turn out. Im hoping Pettine will get the most out of the skills these guys do possess though.

ublinkwescore
05-07-2013, 09:46 AM
If our lb wr and qb positions have all been significantly upgraded, we could very well challenge for a wildcard.

GingerP
05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
He turned the corner so much they traded him for a 2-down ILB, and ate $2.1M in dead money to do it. Given how valuable pass-rushers are, that says a lot about how the Colts front office felt about Hughes. They were happy to get something for Hughes rather than just cut him.

Polian is just trying to hype up a pick of his that busted. Hughes is terrible, and doesn't add strength to any position.

Pinkerton Security
05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
He turned the corner so much they traded him for a 2-down ILB, and ate $2.1M in dead money to do it. Given how valuable pass-rushers are, that says a lot about how the Colts front office felt about Hughes. They were happy to get something for Hughes rather than just cut him.

Polian is just trying to hype up a pick of his that busted. Hughes is terrible, and doesn't add strength to any position.

You may be right but he has some pass rush capability which is always a plus. To say he adds nothing is just wrong....especially when considering our anemic LBs corps and the pass rush department.

EDS
05-07-2013, 10:16 AM
You may be right but he has some pass rush capability which is always a plus. To say he adds nothing is just wrong....especially when considering our anemic LBs corps and the pass rush department.

I hope Hughes can contribute too but it is hard to put too much stock in a guy with fewer career sacks than Aaron Maybin.

Skooby
05-07-2013, 10:19 AM
If our lb wr and qb positions have all been significantly upgraded, we could very well challenge for a wildcard.

Hitting this trifecta would be nice.

The last buffalo fan
05-07-2013, 10:57 AM

The traded bills player was a probowler too, so I guess we are even on this deal. On the other hand, there is so much POTENTIAL in the Hughes guy! :ill:

kingJofNYC
05-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Remember when Maybin turned the corner for the Jets, and he was going to be a key piece of the Jets D?

Small sample sizes. Not saying he cant be productive, just not taking a handful of games as an indication.

GingerP
05-07-2013, 02:39 PM
The traded bills player was a probowler too, so I guess we are even on this deal. On the other hand, there is so much POTENTIAL in the Hughes guy! :ill:

No, he is a big bag of **** too.

k-oneputt
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Polian said that Hughes wasn't ready and couldn't handle the physicality of the NFL when he came in the league from the MWC.

Oh really ?????? WTF Bill, couldn't you have told our scouts that little secret about a decade ago.

Bill Cody
05-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Maybe but you could say the same for Shepperd, major disapointment. If ANYTHING Polian says is true on this then it's a good trade for us.

GingerP
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Maybe but you could say the same for Shepperd, major disapointment. If ANYTHING Polian says is true on this then it's a good trade for us.

It was two teams trading players that didn't have worth to them. Indy though so much of Hughes they went out and signed Erik Walden and Lawrence Sidbury. Then they drafted Bjoern Werner in the first round. He was so useless to them they were willing to eat $2.1M to get rid of him.

Yeah, Sheppard is nothing special either. But that really doesn't have anything to do with Hughes. They would have cut him if they couldn't work out a trade, because he sucks. The Bills are taking a flyer on him, but he won't even make the team. The only reason Polian is saying anything about him is he is trying to take the stink off a terrible pick he made in the worst draft of his career.

TigerJ
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm not positive the Bills would have cut Sheppard, but I guess the new coaching regime was wary of his lack of athleticism. Hughes at least has some measurables to work with. It's not a bad move for the Bills if they were convinced Sheppard was not going to make a meaningful contribution to Pettine's defense.

ParanoidAndroid
05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Hughes was DE-OLB tweener coming out of TCU. He did not fit well as an OLB in a 4-3. He played better last year, but still doesn't fit. I think the swap was a case of two players who fit better in the scheme of destination.

better days
05-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Hughes was DE-OLB tweener coming out of TCU. He did not fit well as an OLB in a 4-3. He played better last year, but still doesn't fit. I think the swap was a case of two players who fit better in the scheme of destination.

Sometimes a change of scenery does a player a World of good. On occasion a trade like this works out well for both teams. Let's hope that is the case now.

jamze132
05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Sometimes a change of scenery does a player a World of good. On occasion a trade like this works out well for both teams. Let's hope that is the case now.

Name a player who sucked before coming to Buffalo and then turned into a star.

EDS
05-09-2013, 08:20 AM

You could make a strong argument that Ted Washington never lived up to his potential as a first round pick before coming to Buffalo, where he enjoyed a great deal of success.

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Flutie
Moorman

What did I win?

better days
05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Going WAY back, my alltime favorite Bills RB Cookie Gilchrist.

MoormanRules8
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't really trust what Polian has to say most of the time because I think the game passed him by, but I do like hearing this. I think he will be good in this offense, good potential, and he fits this scheme better than Sheppard did, so it was a good move.

GingerP
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Hughes was a 4-3 DE, not OLB, his first 2 years in the NFL. Last year Indy switched to the same defense the Bills are playing, as Chuck Pagano and Pettine both learned it in Baltimore. Pagano had no use for Hughes in the same defense the Bills played.

Hughes just sucks. He probably doesn't even make the team.

GingerP
05-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Going WAY back, my alltime favorite Bills RB Cookie Gilchrist.

Gilchrist was a star in Canada. He ran for over 4,000 yards and averaged almost 6 yards a carry in Canada before joining the Bills.

Bill Cody
05-09-2013, 10:18 AM
It was two teams trading players that didn't have worth to them.

Exactly. That's why it's worth the shot for both teams. I am happy to give Hughes a shot and I think he has a chance to be a useful player for us.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-09-2013, 10:25 AM

I guess that depends on your definition of "star," but Urbik, Pears, Chandler, and Fred Jackson were all nobodies who got cut by another team before we picked them up and made them starters.

better days
05-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Gilchrist was a star in Canada. He ran for over 4,000 yards and averaged almost 6 yards a carry in Canada before joining the Bills.

In CANADA. That is NOT a STAR. He couldn't make it in AMERICA until he joined the BILLS. THEN he became a STAR.