PDA

View Full Version : Random Musings

X-Era
05-08-2013, 04:29 PM
So glad Kelvin Sheppard is gone. I was never a fan. I wish him the best of luck but I'm real glad that at a minimum we have an open spot where someone new can fill it... even at the backup spot.
Love this young WR corp. I think Robert Woods can become one of the most reliable WR's in the game. Love what having reliability means for Stevie with his slick route running. Rogers could also be very good if he can just keep his head on straight. Graham is better than most give us credit for and Goodwin is yet another real speed option.
I like what we've done at LB but it's still not filled with high enough talent (based on today's assessment). To me it remains one of the highest priorities.
The OL will be just fine and better than many think it will be. A youngster will be starting at LG and I think we will be pleasantly surprised.
Multiple sets on offense and defense could be jack of all sets, master of none. I hope I'm wrong.
EJ will start day one IMO. Kolb and T-Jax will compete but both lack enough of the upside that a new coach with a new offense and defense would rather develop the long term answer in a learning year.
Freddy will see his carries drastically decreased IMO. The lack of speed now for a team that now covets it will keep his carries way down.
On the flip side, CJ will become the workhorse that he should be and could be top 3 in the league in yards by the end of the year if he gets the space he needs to run... If we run power type sets and force him up the middle, his yards will really suffer.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear Gilmore talked about as a young Revis by the end of the year.
I wouldn't be surprised if Chandler is released. He's not the speedy type that an up tempo offense would covet.
I do think the multiple sets will disguise who's blitzing and that Pettine intends to blitz a lot more. It may not help against the Pats much unless we can adequately cover the flats and seems against Gronk, Hernandez, and Amendola. But, theoretically that's what we've been trying to add at LB... Speedy guys that can cover. I expect double-digit sacks from at least Mario due to just the disguising but it may still not be enough for many more wins.
Hopkins may just earn the K job. The fact that we drafted K's in both of the last drafts tells me that we are actively looking for a replacement for Lindell who is pretty old at this point. Hopkins was a more solid K than the big leg of last years version. Hopkins can make the kicks and isn't just a big leg.
I expect some surprises on the roster at CB. Just a gut feel but I think Maronne may let Rogers, Brooks, or even Aaron Williams go. We added two safeties with versatility for a reason. I think were favoring the ability to matchup with slot WR's and TE's and are looking to get out of the Nickel and Dime more with S's who can cover. I think we may favor an additional S over a CB.
Da'Rick Rogers will make this team. But the question will be whether he can keep his nose clean long term. I think he'll be a model citizen until he gets the roster spot. But then the clock may tick as he relaxes into having money and no real oversight. There will be plenty of chances to screw up. I hope his head is screwed on straight now. It appears it may be.

Scumbag College
05-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I agree with everything except I don't like the OL one bit. Wood is good when healthy but I'd be really concerned with his injury history. Urbik has had some injury problems, too. Glenn is the only one on the OL that I feel great about. If Wood, Urbik, or Glenn are injured for any period of time then the offense is in some real trouble.

Other than that I agree with all of the points.

clumping platelets
05-09-2013, 03:03 AM
I also disagree about the OL.....I'm concerned about interior depth. I also think that we should add Winston to the OT rotation. Neither Pears or Hairston overly impress me.

I can see Rogers and A. Williams gone but Brooks stays because of his speed. We should be able to trade A. Williams for a cond 2014 or 2015 pick

I still think we need another tweener for the DL for depth

Chandler finishes out his deal

X-Era
05-09-2013, 05:17 AM
On the OL, I'd agree that they won't be stellar overall but I think they will be just fine.

To me that means:

CJ gets 1200+ yards behind them and that we average 115 yards per game rushing (top 15 based on 2012 #'s)
The starting QB is sacked less than 30 times during the regular season (that's top 10 based on 2012 #'s)
We average 230+ passing yards per game. (that's top 15 based on 2012 #'s)

If we can do that, the OL is doing there jobs IMO.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

jamze132
05-09-2013, 06:05 AM
As long as the O-line stays healthy, they'll be fine.

I'm not convinced Manuel will start Day 1, I think Kolb gets the nod.

I'm not convinced Rogers will make the team, but I'm leaning towards him making it.

I don't see Mario Williams being a happy camper playing in a 3-4 again.

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2013, 07:25 AM
I too think Hopkins has a chance...he has the pedigree and has been consistent and strong-legged throughout his college career. I think its important we replace Lindell instead of keeping both Lindell and whats his face (Potter?) on the roster.

psubills62
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
1. He was a Gailey player, so I figured he was on his way out.
2. I'm intrigued by it.
3. Yes.
4. Eh, maybe. This is a wait and see situation. I've been wanting upgrades along the OL for a while.
5. Another we'll see. There's some tools to work with on D.
6. I just don't know about this one. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see EJ start, but I prefer a "sit for a year" approach.
7. Could see this.
8. Optimistic, but certainly possible. He's got the talent.
9. Also optimistic, but I do think Gilmore will come into his own this year.
10. Maybe, but we're really short on TE's.
11. I agree, you really need LB's who can cover to counter the hurry-up and the TE situation.
12. He'd better. You don't draft a kicker in the 6th round unless you plan on him winning the job.
13. Could see that.
14. I don't think it's certain Rogers makes the team, though I think he's got a good shot.