PDA

View Full Version : End of Year Presser

Typ0
05-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I finally got a chance to listen to this today. Got a much different read on it than most and I was going to start responding to comments in other threads but decided to put this up for thoughts from others.

Suffering: I got the impression that Regier was talking about suffering already taking place and saying the suffering was not over. People seemed to get the impression that this was a solely forward looking statement and I did not get that impression. I thought he was talking about commitment to being good enough to win a cup which brings me to the next point.

Pacifying: He pretty much flat out said it's common practice in many markets to pacify the fans with playoff berths but never really work to get over the hump and win it. A lot of us have been saying this is the case for years both with the Bills and Sabres. To me, Regier's honesty is very refreshing. And since he isn't playing that lip service game any more perhaps Pegula is a lot more serious about winning than many are willing to believe. Yes, the proof is in the pudding and it's time to show that. However, winning is mostly about mentality, talent and mixture. Ruff is gone. That is a huge mentality change. Talent is being shifted around. Things are too much of a mess to start talking about mixture ... but I believe from this press conference that their focus has changed and their goal is to find the right mixture to contend for the Stanley Cup.

WagonCircler
05-08-2013, 06:03 PM
I believe from this press conference that their focus has changed and their goal is to find the right mixture to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Regeir has had 13 years to get it right. I don't see how he's changed at all. How are we supposed to believe him when every scrap of evidence screams "THIS MAN IS FULL OF SH-T"?

He's the common thread through all of it. He's the one who assembled the rotten "core" that's now being sold off as spare parts. He has no credibility.

Skooby
05-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Doing the same thing over & over the expecting a different result is crazy man.

Dude
05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
It's one thing to hear a new GM say, "Hey everyone, this is a real ****ing mess I've got on my hands and it's going to take some time to fix it."

It's another to hear the man responsible for causing the ****ing mess say the same thing.

OpIv37
05-09-2013, 08:02 AM
The really sad part: Swap Regier for Nix and 13 years for 3 and this thread could be about the Bills as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh you'd also have to swap "pacifying fans with playoff berths" for "threats to move the team."

Typ0
05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
It's one thing to hear a new GM say, "Hey everyone, this is a real ****ing mess I've got on my hands and it's going to take some time to fix it."

It's another to hear the man responsible for causing the ****ing mess say the same thing.

I think that is the point that he is addressing though. If it's a team that is built to squeak into the playoffs and maybe win a round on a good year then it's not a mess. But if you want to start talking about going all the way it is a mess and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure that is Darcy's fault it was a financial and positioning decision that changed when Pegula took over.

trapezeus
05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
ok, but the suffering is still going to be prolonged. how many of the amerk kids did you feel are really part of the team going forward? the sabres have entered the 80's but worse. at least the 80's had first round exits routinely. this time we just keep missing the playoffs. and in hockey that is a sign of extreme patheticness. no team should miss the playoffs as much as they have in the last 7 years or so.

Dude
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I think that is the point that he is addressing though. If it's a team that is built to squeak into the playoffs and maybe win a round on a good year then it's not a mess. But if you want to start talking about going all the way it is a mess and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure that is Darcy's fault it was a financial and positioning decision that changed when Pegula took over.Don't be an enabler. Darcy hasn't done anything since Pegula took over to improve the franchise. In fact, they've gotten worse under his watch. So now we're supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy because Darcy's on the case, working hard to fix the mess he's created?

Puh-lease.