PDA

View Full Version : Doug Marrone addresses season ticket holders ( some transcripts)

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Some transcripts
Unlike Chan Gailey who teats players as if they are just learning and takes time to learn, Marrone coaches as if they are going to start.

studied qb draft class and even went all the way to 2010 season if he wasn't sure.
thinks he can still get a lot out of this OL since he himself was an OL payer/coach.
thinks DL is one of the strongest unit on the team.

Has already started breaking down the AFCE rivals. Will start game planning against those teams as early as June. Needed speed in the perimeter to match up with division teams. Needed players that can cover.

On covering Gronkowski: wants better athletes to cover him.

On Spiller :Didn't say much about how much more carries he'll give CJ but to calm the qb down,have the qb hand the ball over. Got a lot of speed offensively to spread the D.

really likes Tuel but doesn't know how many qb's they'll keep.

UP tempo: they will use it more often. Philosophy behind it is more possession more chances to score. They do have the ability to huddle though.

played a big role in picking EJ over Nassib. Thought EJ was a better fit for what they do.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Doug-Marrone-addresses-season-ticket-holders/e2288a64-9b76-44bf-81bb-a4a7c3613056

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 10:29 AM
wants run multiple looks on offense and defense because he doesn't want teams to dictate to them.

pressure to win now.

trapezeus
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
everyone but jauron has said the right things.

it all comes down to how fast he can deliver. i'll give him this next season to field a truly bad team...but hte following year, he has to show real improvement.

better days
05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

it all comes down to how fast he can deliver. i'll give him this next season to field a truly bad team...but hte following year, he has to show real improvement.

Jauron: "It's REALLY HARD to WIN in the NFL"

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

next season? Barring injuries , I expect the team to get better by mid-season.

Mr. Miyagi
05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
played a big role in picking EJ over Nassib. Thought EJ was a better fit for what they do.
That says something about Nassib.

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 11:43 AM

they can't run the read option with Nassib which tells me that eventually, Kolb will be the back up or gone.

trapezeus
05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
next season? Barring injuries , I expect the team to get better by mid-season.

if could see them doing well mid season if he really a great head coach. but i still think this team is just too undertalented at spots where it counts. and where the jets and pats have continuity in their coaching and schemes, we are going to have breakdowns simply because its a new system.

i am worried that cj may not be as good because of line issues.
I am concerned the LB crew will continue to not be able to get pressure or make tackles or get coverage.

i think the coaching staff at best can maybe mask these deficiencies by schemes, but ultimately, they are going to need some grade one talent in LB and OLB.

And of course a QB will eventually have to emerge and not suck for the first time in 20 years.

i would think if the start of the season looks difficult, it'll just get worse as injuries mount. they aren't deep enough. also, if the season is spiralling out of control sooner than later, they should just go to manuel in a lost season and have him learn on the job. that will help for season 2 to potentially start off strong.

so conservatively, i give him this year to just have a bad team but show a pretty smart scheme. show that he knows how to coach in specific game situations. Then you give him another draft of getting players he wants and coach them up quickly. then in year 2, he should be ready to go to be a team that is turning around quickly.

better days
05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
if could see them doing well mid season if he really a great head coach. but i still think this team is just too undertalented at spots where it counts. and where the jets and pats have continuity in their coaching and schemes, we are going to have breakdowns simply because its a new system.

i am worried that cj may not be as good because of line issues.
I am concerned the LB crew will continue to not be able to get pressure or make tackles or get coverage.

i think the coaching staff at best can maybe mask these deficiencies by schemes, but ultimately, they are going to need some grade one talent in LB and OLB.

And of course a QB will eventually have to emerge and not suck for the first time in 20 years.

i would think if the start of the season looks difficult, it'll just get worse as injuries mount. they aren't deep enough. also, if the season is spiralling out of control sooner than later, they should just go to manuel in a lost season and have him learn on the job. that will help for season 2 to potentially start off strong.

so conservatively, i give him this year to just have a bad team but show a pretty smart scheme. show that he knows how to coach in specific game situations. Then you give him another draft of getting players he wants and coach them up quickly. then in year 2, he should be ready to go to be a team that is turning around quickly.

The Bills have by far the BEST RBs in the AFC East. They also have the best WR group except for maybe the Fins.

The only issue on the OL is LG so if that is a problem, run CJ to the right.

I give Marrone this year to have a bad team. A SIX win bad team, nothing worse than that.

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't think guard positions determines whether the OL will suck or not. It's actually easiest position to replace so I'm not worried whether CJ can thrive without a probowl lg. Other than Iupati,I don't think the top 5 rushing teams had a probowl guard.

Ingtar33
05-09-2013, 02:40 PM
actually Marrone sounds a lot like Bill Parcells if you ask me.

That's not saying he's anywhere near as good a football coach, just that he talks a similar game to him.

Lexwhat
05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
UP tempo: they will use it more often. Philosophy behind it is more possession more chances to score. They do have the ability to huddle though.

More possessions and more chances to score? I didn't listen to the interview, but I don't get this...

Does he mean that he prefers shorter, more frequent drives as opposed to longer drives that kill the clock?

With that logic, more Offensive drives means more Defensive drives as well... Unfortunately, our Defense is not that strong or dynamic where we can afford to let our Offense heavily dictate our game plan.

better days
05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
More possessions and more chances to score? I didn't listen to the interview, but I don't get this...

Does he mean that he prefers shorter, more frequent drives as opposed to longer drives that kill the clock?

With that logic, more Offensive drives means more Defensive drives as well... Unfortunately, our Defense is not that strong or dynamic where we can afford to let our Offense heavily dictate our game plan.

It means he prefers 30 offensive drives per game vs 15 offensive drives. It may mean times the defense doesn't get much rest, but this will not be the weak sauce defense of last year.

Novacane
05-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Also says something about all the suckers in the media who were convinced we were taking Nassib at 8

THRILLHO
05-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Jauron: "It's REALLY HARD to WIN in the NFL"

Jauron: "I just wish we had more time." EVERY pre-season.

Turf
05-09-2013, 07:39 PM
actually Marrone sounds a lot like Bill Parcells if you ask me.

That's not saying he's anywhere near as good a football coach, just that he talks a similar game to him.

That's what I've been telling everyone, he reminds me of a young Parcells.

jamze132
05-10-2013, 06:06 AM
The Bills have by far the BEST RBs in the AFC East. They also have the best WR group except for maybe the Fins.

I give Marrone this year to have a bad team. A SIX win bad team, nothing worse than that.

You can't say that the Bills have the best WRs in the AFC East, accept for maybe the Fins when 3 of our receivers aren't even under contract yet.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-10-2013, 07:01 AM
The comment of Rogers is in line with what I heard: not all rosy even if you look beyond his off field troubles. He didn't dominated in Tenn tech as you would expected (or like Marrone said, played down to the competition). So he may not be that guy a lot of people pencil in even he stayed clean off field.

better days
05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
You can't say that the Bills have the best WRs in the AFC East, accept for maybe the Fins when 3 of our receivers aren't even under contract yet.

Yes I can. They will sign thier contracts, that is a given.

Lexwhat
05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
It means he prefers 30 offensive drives per game vs 15 offensive drives. It may mean times the defense doesn't get much rest, but this will not be the weak sauce defense of last year.

Again, if our Offense gets "more chances" to score, so does the opposing Offense.

I just don't think adding a journeyman LB (Manny Lawson) and a new LB in the draft (Alonso) makes us that much better of a Defense that last year... I guess we'll make better use of the roster than Dave Wannstead did, but we are still devoid of talent and depth... Unlike our Offense, we didn't do much to improve the Defense.

Joe Fo Sho
05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
The Bills have by far the BEST RBs in the AFC East. Agreed

They also have the best WR group except for maybe the Fins. Very big assumption. Half our WRs haven't played a down in the NFL yet, and the other half suck...less Stevie.

The only issue on the OL is LG so if that is a problem, run CJ to the right. That will work for about a half a quarter.

I give Marrone this year to have a bad team. A SIX win bad team, nothing worse than that. So you'll be calling for his head if he wins 5 games this year?

better days
05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
It is an assumption EASILY made when you look at the roster of the Jets & Pats* that the Bills WR group is MUCH better.

I was being facetious about running to the right, I don't think the OL will be a problem & it is probably better than the Pats* & Jets OL. & the Fins still need a LT.

Well, if those 5 wins are the last 5 games of the year & I see the team improving maybe not. But if they are scattered with some coming at the begining of the year & I see no real improvement by the end of the year then absolutely I want Marrone fired if he only wins 5 games.

Joe Fo Sho
05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
It is an assumption EASILY made when you look at the roster of the Jets & Pats* that the Bills WR group is MUCH better.

They're probably saying the same thing about us. Their WR group can be EASILY assumed to be better than a group that, outside of Stevie, has 0 catches.

Well, if those 5 wins are the last 5 games of the year & I see the team improving maybe not. But if they are scattered with some coming at the begining of the year & I see no real improvement by the end of the year then absolutely I want Marrone fired if he only wins 5 games.

It'll be fun finding a new coach every year. Not to mention how fun it will be finding a good coach who's willing to come to a team that gives him 16 games to succeed. Who doesn't want to play for a team like that? Free agents will be flocking to Buffalo.

better days
05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
They're probably saying the same thing about us. Their WR group can be EASILY assumed to be better than a group that, outside of Stevie, has 0 catches.

It'll be fun finding a new coach every year. Not to mention how fun it will be finding a good coach who's willing to come to a team that gives him 16 games to succeed. Who doesn't want to play for a team like that? Free agents will be flocking to Buffalo.

OK, then you put up the names of the WRs on the Pats & Jets & compare them to the Bills WRs & tell us which is better or projected to be better next year. I look at Jets & Pats* boards & the fans of both teams are NOT excited about their WRs.

I am not for firing a Coach after only one year unless it is proven he is a LOSER & I see no reason to give him longer than one year if that is the case. If Marrone can't win at least 6 games next season, he is a LOSER.

GingerP
05-10-2013, 12:18 PM
OK, then you put up the names of the WRs on the Pats & Jets & compare them to the Bills WRs & tell us which is better or projected to be better next year. I look at Jets & Pats* boards & the fans of both teams are NOT excited about their WRs.

Buffalo - Steve Johnson, T.J. Graham, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Brad Smith, Marcus Easley, Da'Rick Rogers, Kevin Elliot, Chris Hogan, Kevin Norell, Brandon Kaufman

NE - Danny Amendola, Donald Jones, Michael Jenkins, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyd, Julian Edelman, LaVelle Hawkins, Matthew Slater, T.J. Moe, Kamar Aiken, Kenbrell Thompkins, Andre Holmes

NYJ - Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Clyde Gates, Jordan White, Royce Pollard, Ryan Spadola, Zach Rogers, Titus Ryan, Joe Collins, Antavious Wilson, Vidal Hazelton, K.J. Stroud

I think you would have trouble arguing any of those groups were better than the other, or even that any of them were very good.

Joe Fo Sho
05-10-2013, 12:54 PM

I am not for firing a Coach after only one year unless it is proven he is a LOSER & I see no reason to give him longer than one year if that is the case. If Marrone can't win at least 6 games next season, he is a LOSER.

The list of WRs is posted above thanks to GingerP. I don't see how we are "EASILY" assumed to be better. That's ridiculous, unless you want to use the "James Hardy is gonna be so good cuz he was drafted in the 2nd round!" argument. It absolutely could happen, and I hope it does, but to make that argument less than a month after the draft is absurd.

Ed
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Again, if our Offense gets "more chances" to score, so does the opposing Offense.

I just don't think adding a journeyman LB (Manny Lawson) and a new LB in the draft (Alonso) makes us that much better of a Defense that last year... I guess we'll make better use of the roster than Dave Wannstead did, but we are still devoid of talent and depth... Unlike our Offense, we didn't do much to improve the Defense.
Don't forget about NT Alan Branch. I liked that signing a lot and I think he could end up being a pretty valuable addition.

I think our issues on defense last year had a lot more to do with scheme and coaching than talent.

Bill Cody
05-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Gronkowski and Hernandez are TE's but they are a HUGE part of the Pats receiving corp. If you include them your argument gets a lot tougher.

trapezeus
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

CJ is. FJ is not going to be the same guy after his injuries and being on the wrong side of 30.

if the oline is bad on one side and the solution is to run CJ the other way, don't you think a defense is going to catch on to the fact that 50% of the field just got shut down?

And do you trust kolb, tjax or upside manuel to come out of the gates firing with bad protection with mostly rookie WR and no TE?

the koolaid is pretty strong. i'll give you that marrone make it seem like he's got a grasp of what's going on and a plan to execute. but this first year will be very difficult. and as i said in another thread, if the injury bug hits in any kind of way, this team could potentially fall part with the lack of talent.

GingerP
05-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Even if you think the talent is OK, I think there are depth concerns to be addressed. The interior OL is a concern, and becomes a hugh concern if Woods is hurt. The RB position may look like a strength, unless C.J. gets hurt and it becomes a problem. The TE position is a huge question mark anyway, let alone depth-wise. Stevie has to stay healthy at WR.

I do like the depth on the DL, but the rest of the defense has questions. Granted, all teams have issues, but it seems like the Bills are perilously thin in a number of areas, and they don't have a Brady-like QB who can mask a lot of mistakes. I don't see how people can look at this team and see a lot of talent. They may have some young guys with promise, but other than Spiller and Byrd have few real top players.

better days
05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
The list of WRs is posted above thanks to GingerP. I don't see how we are "EASILY" assumed to be better. That's ridiculous, unless you want to use the "James Hardy is gonna be so good cuz he was drafted in the 2nd round!" argument. It absolutely could happen, and I hope it does, but to make that argument less than a month after the draft is absurd.

I will use the arguement I started with. Neither the Jets or Pats* have ANYONE that is good or projected to be good.

The Pats* a single receiver that was on the team last year. The system the Pats* use is all about timing. Chemistry will have to be developed between Brady & his WRs. Amendola MIGHT play well, if he can stay healthy, but I doubt he can be that 3rd down safety net for Brady that Welker was even if he can. NO WR on the Pats* this year ever had 1000 yds as of yet.

The Jets have Holmes who put up 272 yds last season. Hill had 252 yds last season. Kerley had 827 yds last season.

Stevie Johnson ALONE has outproduced EVERYONE on BOTH the Jets & Pats* roster, Going for over 1000 yds the 2nd year in a row. The Bills also have guys such as Graham, Woods, Rogers, Goodwin & even Easley that show MUCH more potential to be GOOD than anyone on the Jets or Pats*

I have NO PROBLEM arguing that the Bills WR group is MUCH BETTER that the Jets or Pats* Stevie alone makes that a FACT. It is absurd to even argue the Pats* & Jets are as good at WR as the Bills.

better days
05-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Gronkowski and Hernandez are TE's but they are a HUGE part of the Pats receiving corp. If you include them your argument gets a lot tougher.

Agreed, BUT neither is a WR & THAT was the position I was talking about.

The Bills also have CJ & Freddie that can catch the ball.

GingerP
05-11-2013, 04:29 AM
The Bills also have guys such as Graham, Woods, Rogers, Goodwin & even Easley that show MUCH more potential to be GOOD than anyone on the Jets or Pats*.

I'm not sure why those guys have more potential than anyone on any other team, but it doesn't matter anyway because potential just means they haven't done it.

justasportsfan
05-11-2013, 07:22 AM

High expectation considering the company we're in in the Afce. . Not to mention a new and a rookie qb behind center. Even Bellicheat went 5-11 with Bledsoe in his first year.

better days
05-11-2013, 09:09 AM
High expectation considering the company we're in in the Afce. . Not to mention a new and a rookie qb behind center. Even Bellicheat went 5-11 with Bledsoe in his first year.

It is the same competition we were in last year. The Jets are a mess. who will be the QB? Sanchez or Geno? I would take Kolb or Manuel over those two. I think the Bills SHOULD win both those games. That means only 4 other wins are needed in 14 games to achieve 6 wins.

And I doubt the Pats* had the talent Belichicks first year this Bills team does.

better days
05-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure why those guys have more potential than anyone on any other team, but it doesn't matter anyway because potential just means they haven't done it.

I didn't say they have more potential than anyone on ANY other team, I said they have more potential than ANYONE on the Jets or Pats* If you look online, you will see the Bills new WRS are talked about as having the potential to be GOOD. Then look at what is written about the potential of the Jets & Pats* new WRs.

And the only one that has done it on all three teams is Stevie Johnson, so it is absurd to argue the Pats* or Jets WRs are as good as the Bills. The fact the Bills have Stevie makes the Bills the #1 WR group in the AFC East without question.