PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Conditioning might actually be a positive this year

muestafa1
05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I read this article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Competition-camaraderie-the-results-of-Bills-conditioning-program/e0e629a7-4d2b-4355-90cf-75d5c89249b3)over at buffalobills.com and it was very encouraging. The Bills have instituted a much more demanding off season workout regimen/competition with a heavy emphasis on cardio training to keep up with hi-tempo football. Lots of team-building going on as well and veterans are participating. I like it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Competition-camaraderie-the-results-of-Bills-conditioning-program/e0e629a7-4d2b-4355-90cf-75d5c89249b3

psubills62
05-09-2013, 10:30 AM
An encouraging article from buffalobills.com? I never would have guessed.

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Ah give him a break. Id rather see articles about more rigid workout regimens than articles about how such and such a player is doing "(insert meaningless activity)" in his off season.

muestafa1
05-09-2013, 11:32 AM

LOL... I meant I put it through my BuffaloBills.com optimism filter and I was still encouraged

jamze132
05-09-2013, 11:47 AM
I am actually very impressed with the new regime after reading that. They really are instilling a sense of pride and esprit de corps among the players! This is good.

OpIv37
05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Ah give him a break. Id rather see articles about more rigid workout regimens than articles about how such and such a player is doing "(insert meaningless activity)" in his off season.

He has a point, though.

If the Bills strength and conditioning program was aroma therapy and yoga poses, Chris Brown would be talking about the Bills' revolutionary new approach to getting in shape without actually working out.

That being said, it's good to see them doing something different. At least it's an acknowledgement that what they did in the past obviously didn't work. We'll see if it pays off.

justasportsfan
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
BB.com posting about Mularkey serving cheeseburgers isn't going to win fan praises.

Ingtar33
05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I am actually very impressed with the new regime after reading that. They really are instilling a sense of pride and esprit de corps among the players! This is good.

the best pride/esprit de corps and conditioning i had in one go was my sophmore year of high school. our coach got us so unified we would have run through walls for him. we only won 1 more game then the previous year.

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
the best pride/esprit de corps and conditioning i had in one go was my sophmore year of high school. our coach got us so unified we would have run through walls for him. we only won 1 more game then the previous year.

So should they just let the existing culture continue? Because I dont think they should. Whether it helps or not, I commend them for trying to change the attitude.

Beebe's Kid
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Didn't Gailey bring in the best strength and conditioning guys ever? I think I remembered that we were all excited about them..

better days
05-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Well, without that, you may have gone the season without winning a game.

X-Era
05-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Damn it seems really good.

Of course we don't know if previous regimes ran something similar or if this is an all new high intensity approach to conditioning that hasn't been previously seen at OBD.

I really like what I read though, that's for sure.

X-Era
05-09-2013, 06:26 PM
So should they just let the existing culture continue? Because I dont think they should. Whether it helps or not, I commend them for trying to change the attitude.That's kind of the big question though... Has attitude been a problem? and furthermore if it was did it have to do with conditioning?

To say it another way, do we think this new conditioning program will affect wins and losses?

It could just be a situation where it can't hurt and could easily help.

Ingtar33
05-10-2013, 12:37 AM
So should they just let the existing culture continue? Because I dont think they should. Whether it helps or not, I commend them for trying to change the attitude.

Well, without that, you may have gone the season without winning a game.

actually, we couldn't get out of our own way for the most part because the coach spent too much time on team building. The next season, his assistant head coach took over, and building on the esprit de corps, he laid the strategic and technical foundation necessary to be a great team. the result is we doubled our win total and made it to the finals.

I'm not saying team building and comradery is a bad thing. only it's not that important if your coach isn't doing his job to get the team to take that unified effort and direct it toward executing on the field.

jamze132
05-10-2013, 05:56 AM

It's an improvement!

jamze132
05-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Didn't Gailey bring in the best strength and conditioning guys ever? I think I remembered that we were all excited about them..

Yeah, but they just taught theory, they didn't actually do ****.

TigerJ
05-10-2013, 09:49 AM
actually, we couldn't get out of our own way for the most part because the coach spent too much time on team building. The next season, his assistant head coach took over, and building on the esprit de corps, he laid the strategic and technical foundation necessary to be a great team. the result is we doubled our win total and made it to the finals.

I'm not saying team building and comradery is a bad thing. only it's not that important if your coach isn't doing his job to get the team to take that unified effort and direct it toward executing on the field.

I have zero experience in organized sports, so mine is hardly an expert opinion. (I had a pretty severe case Osgood Schlatter disease in both knees and could have ruptured tendons in them had I done so.) Anyway, esprit de corp is never a bad thing IMO, but I'm guessing the time available for all activities is much less in high school than for professional sports. If you take the same hours in team building for a professional team in pro sports that you do for a high school team, it's going to represent a much smaller percentage of your total training, and at that level might pay off far more in dividends than it costs in the more technical areas of team prep, especially this early in the process.

better days
05-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I have zero experience in organized sports, so mine is hardly an expert opinion. (I had a pretty severe case Osgood Schlatter disease in both knees and could have ruptured tendons in them had I done so.) Anyway, esprit de corp is never a bad thing IMO, but I'm guessing the time available for all activities is much less in high school than for professional sports. If you take the same hours in team building for a professional team in pro sports that you do for a high school team, it's going to represent a much smaller percentage of your total training, and at that level might pay off far more in dividends than it costs in the more technical areas of team prep, especially this early in the process.

I just heard talk about the Sabres conditioning saying it needs to be done in the offseason because there is not enough time to do much of it when the season starts. I think the same goes for the Bills.

OpIv37
05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I just heard talk about the Sabres conditioning saying it needs to be done in the offseason because there is not enough time to do much of it when the season starts. I think the same goes for the Bills.

I don't see conditioning as a problem for the Sabres. I think it's more talent and consistent effort.

The Bills, on the other hand- too many injuries and too many times when they've had leads or kept the game close only to fall apart at the end. Not as bad as it was under Jauron, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Ingtar33
05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
from what i saw of the sabres the problem was the FA acquisitions 2 years ago. They basically went out and got a lot slower on the blue line.

the rest of the FA acquisitions never really fit in (with a few exceptions)

OpIv37
05-10-2013, 11:33 AM
from what i saw of the sabres the problem was the FA acquisitions 2 years ago. They basically went out and got a lot slower on the blue line.

the rest of the FA acquisitions never really fit in (with a few exceptions)
They didn't fit in because they lacked talent. Leino's a joke. And they were trying to add them to a core of Vanek, Pominville, Roy and Stafford. Vanek's the only one of the group with enough talent to be part of the core, but he can't be the #1 guy and doesn't strike me as a leader. The FA acquisitions were part of the problem, but they were doomed because the team was being built on a faulty foundation.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-10-2013, 03:48 PM

The coaching staff is very limited in the amount of practice and meeting time they are allowed under the CBA. Obviously it is more than a high school and college team, but this isn't taking away from time they could be out in pads working on plays. It's just another way to approach the offseason conditioning.