Crisis
05-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Via v text

GvilleBills
05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Quick draw, well done.

GvilleBills
05-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm actually excited for what this dude can bring to this O. He can be a serious seam buster and get YAC underneath to boot.

Skooby
05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Sweet.

DraftBoy
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
One down.

jamze132
05-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Why wasn't he drafted earlier if he such a "seem buster"?

Night Train
05-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Why wasn't he drafted earlier if he such a "seem buster"?

Injuries. Plus he looks more of an H-Back type to me, since he's only 6-3. Is very fast for his size. 7th round is zero risk and expectations. You get anything out of him, it's a win.

The Jokeman
05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Injuries. Plus he looks more of an H-Back type to me, since he's only 6-3. Is very fast for his size. 7th round is zero risk and expectations. You get anything out of him, it's a win.

Tell that to Stevie Johnson. True not all 7th Rounders can do what Stevie's done but truth be told failing on any draft pick puts the Bills behind the proverbial 8 ball. It's time that ALL of our draft picks should be asked to contribute.

better days
05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Tell that to Stevie Johnson. True not all 7th Rounders can do what Stevie's done but truth be told failing on any draft pick puts the Bills behind the proverbial 8 ball. It's time that ALL of our draft picks should be asked to contribute.

Even some first or 2nd rnd picks don't pan out. Look at the rosters of NFL teams how many 7th rnd picks are on them. I think an UDFA has a better chance at making a team than a 7th rnd pick.

Lexwhat
05-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Just a random thought:

I really wish we would have used our 7th round pick on Lawrence Okoye -- the English Olympian... I know the guy had an outside shot of getting drafted in the 7th Round, but San Fran ended up signing him as an UDFA. Time will tell if Okoye will ever turn into an NFL player, but his physical gifts are off the charts.

I mean, we once used a 7th rounder on Michael Jasper, so I really thought the Bills might consider another developmental project (Okoye).

Oh well.

swiper
05-10-2013, 07:33 PM

Tim Euhus (4th round 2004), Derek Fine (4th round 2008), and Shawn Nelson (4th round 2009) have me very uninspired about this pick. Call me crazy.

swiper
05-10-2013, 07:34 PM

One guy pans out and suddenly all 7th rounders contribute? Let's be realistic. That isn't.

Skooby
05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
If someone gets a physically bad break, that doesn't mean they can't play. It's more like a border of will power & desire, mixed with a gift of genetics & mind.

SJ had no real competition around him, that doesn't mean he's not great or a huge find. It just means that he found higher ground with many choices drowning. I'd expect a more balanced approach of running & passing targets, which should make him that much better.

Goobylal
05-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Tim Euhus (4th round 2004), Derek Fine (4th round 2008), and Shawn Nelson (4th round 2009) have me very uninspired about this pick. Call me crazy.
Euhus and Fine were about the same weight as Gragg, but slow, and there was nothing special about them. Nelson was tall (6'5") but skinny (240#) and had good speed (4.52), but he was a wuss and had migraine problems. I don't know Gragg's fortitude, but at 6'3" and 244# with 4.4 speed, and coming from a major program, he has a much better chance to produce than the other guys.

swiper
05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Euhus and Fine were about the same weight as Gragg, but slow, and there was nothing special about them. Nelson was tall (6'5") but skinny (240#) and had good speed (4.52), but he was a wuss and had migraine problems. I don't know Gragg's fortitude, but at 6'3" and 244# with 4.4 speed, and coming from a major program, he has a much better chance to produce than the other guys.

Funny the way you describe it you'd think he'd be drafted at a higher level than those three. So there is more to the story. More than just injuries.

I'm not rooting against the guy, just trying to keep things in proper prospective. It's unlikely he turns out to do much. Some here over-react. It flatly unfair to compare him to Stevie Johnson. Many projected Johnson to be better than the 7th spot where he was drafted. And he proved those people correct.

Goobylal
05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Funny the way you describe it you'd think he'd be drafted at a higher level than those three. So there is more to the story. More than just injuries.

I'm not rooting against the guy, just trying to keep things in proper prospective. It's unlikely he turns out to do much. Some here over-react. It flatly unfair to compare him to Stevie Johnson. Many projected Johnson to be better than the 7th spot where he was drafted. And he proved those people correct.
I only get excited over late-round picks that have something special. In Gragg's case, he's got TE size (6'3" and 244#, and could pack-on another 10# easily), WR speed (4.46, running as low as 4.40), amazing athleticism (he had better Combine numbers than Woods, outside of 20- and 40-yard times), and has good hands. Moreover he's from a major program that ran a pro-style offense. I don't know if he's dumb, lazy, or a wuss, but as far as I know, he has no off-field concerns. He's got the tools and needs to apply himself and be coached properly.

better days
05-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Injuries are the only story reported thus far. Over time, MANY players have fallen hard in the draft because of injury.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-11-2013, 01:30 AM
He's an intriguing prospect but he fell because he doesn't have tight end size, he didn't have elite production in college, he has injury concerns, and this draft was deep in pass catchers. There's no need to overthink it. I hope he pans out, we certainly have room for pass-catching H backs on this roster.

swiper
05-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Call me crazy, but I've always liked what Mike Caussin and Lee Smith might be able to bring. Let's just hope they come out with three decent TEs.

Bert102176
05-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Even some first or 2nd rnd picks don't pan out. Look at the rosters of NFL teams how many 7th rnd picks are on them. I think an UDFA has a better chance at making a team than a 7th rnd pick.

Da'rick rodgers I think he will be a very good WR and UDFA

BillsFever21
05-11-2013, 06:02 PM

What would ever give you that assumption? Maybe because of some people who think every one of our draft picks are starting material? Or maybe because of some of the people who thinks any career average free agent reject we bring in is going to be a capable player and contribute with a major role on the team? Yeah that might be why.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Da'rick rodgers I think he will be a very good WR and UDFA hes a beast!

The Jokeman
05-12-2013, 03:30 PM
One guy pans out and suddenly all 7th rounders contribute? Let's be realistic. That isn't.

The problem is that with failures in the earlier rounds the Bills need more of their later rounds to step up. Both haven't happened and as a result we've been below average.

The Jokeman
05-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I've always liked what Mike Caussin and Lee Smith might be able to bring. Let's just hope they come out with three decent TEs.

Lee Smith hasn't shown me anything except he's guy with a short fuse who at best will be a bottom feeder. Sure you need guys like him to fill out your roster but asking him do be anything more than that is realistic. I like the Gragg pick because of the physical skills he brings but time will tell if he can live up to them. If he does become another Daniel Fells, the version that played in Denver, as NFL.com compares him to I'd be very pleased. All I am saying is only expecting a 7th Rounder to contribute is a loser's mentality while I don't expect great things out of Gragg he does have an opportunity to be better than his draft slot because of the injuries to Chandler and what little else we have on the roster.