PDA

View Full Version : Observations

Buffarama
09-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Has anyone noticed that Centers consecutive catching a pass in every game string has been broken. In fact I think we only passed to him once.
And for 2 point some million, our TE Jay has to be a factor. Did he catch any balls last week? I don't think so, one at most.
Next week will be interesting.

casdhf
09-11-2002, 10:01 PM
I thought Centers caught 1 against the Jets

BillsMan80
09-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Centers caught 1 for 6 yards.

NoCtUrNaL
09-11-2002, 10:06 PM
3-13-NYJ40 (9:55) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to L.Centers to NYJ 34 for 6 yards (J.Ferguson). Screen right caught at NYJ 40.

EDIT: damn it all to hell, ya beat me. :D

casdhf
09-11-2002, 10:25 PM
hell yeah punk :hump:

:D

Buffarama
09-11-2002, 10:34 PM
I didn't remember seeing that. Well so much for this post.........

venis2k1
09-11-2002, 10:44 PM
Jay had one for 11 yard too i think.

Sabre Ally
09-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Yes, Jay did. I got 1 point in fantasy football for it. :D

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 01:44 AM
Jay and Centers can't catch what isn't thrown to them.

The Natrix
09-12-2002, 08:14 AM
I've said it all along that JR and Centers should be cut.

Shiny Chicken
09-12-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I've said it all along that JR and Centers should be cut.

I'm actually starting to reluctantly agree witha that. As much as a like both players, we have plenty enough of a receiving threat with our top 3 receivers to not need a top pass catching FB and TE... we need blockers more than we need catchers in those positions.

So much is said about DB and TE's... but the main reason DB was passing to Coates so much a few years ago was because he didn't have receiever like Moulds, Price, and Reed to throw to back in NE...

With two excellent blocklers in that position, they would help the passing game even more, offereing more pass protection, which means more time for DB to throw the ball and better run blocking, which means an even better running attack which opens up the passing game even more because teams will have to respect TH...

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2002, 09:39 AM
I think we need one or the other, not both. Centers can play more like an H back, then JR could go, or they could utilize JR more in a check down type of role, and let Centers go. They don't seem to know how to use both at once.

Like I say, the center of the Viking defense is MUCH weaker than the Jets. If they have plans for JR, we should see it this week. If he goes 1 catch for 11 yards again, he's history.

casdhf
09-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Henry had alot of rushing yards..;..most of them were when Centers was blocking for him. BOO-YA

TigerJ
09-12-2002, 11:06 AM
I say wait and see on JR. However, if Travis Henry continues to be effective as a receiver out of the backfield, Larry Centers is excess baggage considering that his effectiveness is pretty much limited to catching passes out of the backfield. Nothing will happen untill the end of the season though.

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 11:10 AM
I don't think we particularly need Centers, but Riems is needed. Especially against cover 2 Defenses to exploit the middle...there are quite a few cover-2 defenses.

TigerJ
09-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Most of Henry's rushing yards came with Centers blocking because the Bills were using a two back set. He was the guy lined up with Henry in the backfield. When he's not a receiver on a play, except in those exceedingly rare occasions when he runs, Centers' job is to block. The point I would make, and I presume The Natrix is that if the Bills want the fullback primarily for blocking, there are a bunch of guys who can do it better and cheaper.

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 11:14 AM
I think you're right, but I don't see them letting Centers go. Why would they give him an extension only to cut him?

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2002, 11:14 AM
If they cut either, it will probably be more cap based than performance based.

Fat Tony
09-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Read Ingtar's posts on his observations on the game. Great insights on what happened and why.....

Shiny Chicken
09-12-2002, 05:12 PM
on the other hand, with centers... he also seems to be quite an important team leader... one of the most important even... that may be reason enough to keep him around...

Kelly The Dog
09-12-2002, 05:21 PM
and it may prove to show that Centers and JR as just as valuable if not more. Sometimes players don't make catches simply because other teams are worried about them and take them out of the play and good OC's (or at least play-callers) like Gilbride take advantage of what the defense allows by going other ways. If teams start to think we're not going to use the best receiving back of all-time or one of the best pass catching tight ends in the league, and start double teaming Peerless or Josh Reed or over-compensating for Travis, that's EXACTLY when having Centers and JR is going to be vital. By aving every single player on the field a potent weapon, a line able to run block, and a quarterback able to make decisions, Gilbride is going to be able to exploit any defense. We need all these guys, including Dave Moore whom i guarantee will make a few tough and vital catches in this offense.