X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigZ
    • Sep 2003

Buddy Nix stepping aside

I just saw a blurb from the Bills: Buddy Nix will step away from his role as GM and transition to Special Assistant.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buddy Nix stepping aside

Many people saw this coming.

Link;
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Just got the text. Welcome to the #1 spot, Doug Whaley.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

confirmed via V-text.

HALLLLLLLLLLLLLELLUJAHHHHHH!!!!

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

ralph is cheap
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• T-Long
            Circling the Wagons since 1982.
            • Sep 2003

We all knew this was coming, glad to see it's official. Really like the idea of him staying on and helping Doug with whatever he needs.

The Whaley ERA has begun!

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Seemed like the plan all along. Give him some credit for the QB selection, then move him out.

This confirms in my little mind that Marrone and Whaley basically ran this draft. Way different than the norm.
              Last edited by Night Train; 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Interesting. Sounds like the way to respect is a load road. I thought Nix wanted to see good ending (not super bowl) to his name as a GM.

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

Hardly shocking. I hope Whaley is up to the task.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

i like this direction they are finally showin the have a plan
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Schefter confirms what many believe;

"And now Doug Whaley officially takes on the larger role for the Bills that he has been doing anyway"
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                        Retired (mostly)
                        • Mar 2003

It had been raised as a possibility before, but as recently as the 2013 NFL draft, Bills GM Buddy Nix said he’d like to “see this thing through” when it came to turning the Buffalo franchise back into a contender.

“That has not changed,” said Nix when asked if he would retire following a draft in which he took a quarterback. “When it does, one of these days I will shock you and tell you then.”

Then has turned out to be now. Less than three weeks after the draft, Nix will transition from the general manager’s role to that of Special Assistant with the Bills. Nix will continue to play a significant role with the organization assisting in a variety of football related activities.

"I've made this decision to step away from the General Manager's position because I feel it is the right time," said Nix in a team statement. "By the 'right time' I mean I think we have a good young roster, an excellent head coach with a good staff, and it's time to let someone else handle these responsibilities and move forward together. Timing is the main thing, but there are other benefits as well. This job is very demanding with a 24-7 schedule of responsibilities. This new position will enable me to spend more time with my family. I appreciate the opportunity given to me by Mr. Wilson and Russ (Brandon) and I'm fortunate to step away from the job and still remain a part of the team."

At the NFL Combine this past February Nix indicated his commitment to the requirement of the job was still up to snuff, but did leave the door open to a transition in job title.

“My energy level or anything hasn’t changed,” said Nix. “Look, I’m not going to do this until I’m 100, I promise you. I’d like to know I’ll be around until then, but I’ll decide that. I’ll sit-down with Russ (Brandon) and we’ll do what needs to be done, but to put a timetable on it… I started something and I’d like to see it through.”

Nix explained where he sees the state of the club as he steps aside.

"I feel strongly that the team is on the right course for success," Nix said. "We have some excellent talent on our team and coach Marrone and his staff are doing a terrific job in leading and teaching the players we have on our roster. I was very impressed with the 24 rookies we had in this past weekend and I'm very excited about the upcoming season. I think this is going to be an exciting time for our team and our fans."

All told Nix served just over three years as the team’s general manager. His most important task when he was hired on Dec. 31st, 2009 was to re-stock the roster with improved talent and depth. A club formerly devoid of top flight defensive line talent now boasts one of the better front lines in the league.

WATCH: Buddy Nix introductory press conference

Nix is also responsible for drafting one of the most electric players in the NFL in C.J. Spiller and in the Bills most recent draft chose a future franchise quarterback prospect in EJ Manuel.

The general manager’s post was not Nix’s first job with the Bills. He had previously served for eight seasons as an area scout for Buffalo under the late former GM John Butler. Nix then returned to the Bills in 2009 to serve as a National Scout before assuming the GM post.

With Nix stepping down it stands to reason that Assistant GM Doug Whaley could be in line for the GM post after serving as the direct understudy to Nix the past three years. Nix has given indication that he hired Whaley as his eventual replacement.
                        “I think you’re maybe less than confident in what you do if you can’t put your replacement in place, and we did ours,” said Nix this past February. “I was on the job three months when I hired Doug and nothing’s changed with him.”

But to play
                        that’s the thing
                        shut up and deal
                        ~ Jesse May

Comment

• bf1
                          • Oct 2010

He caused enough harm to the franchise.

Comment

• streetkings01
                            • Jul 2006

Everyone had to see this coming since bb.com were constantly showing Whaley vids alot more then usual. They definitely were transitioning the fanbase.
                            You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

buddys new weekly part-time schedule will be broken down as follows:

1 hour - advising the bills on football related matters
                              19 hours - getting marios ring back from that trecherous white woman
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X