• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Who is your #1 draft target and why?

Heading into the 2013 NHL draft... I'm curious to know who is your current target for the Sabres first pick (trade-up or not)?

if you aren't familiar with any of the prospects, what do you feel is the Sabres #1 need that should be filled with the first pick?
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Re: Who is your #1 draft target and why?

A skill player that wants a stanley cup like no other

Comment

• clumping platelets

D Seth Jones

Comment

• clumping platelets

If we stay at #8, I'd like Ristolainen or Nurse........do not care that both at D......take the BPA and I think one of these players could be a solid #2/#3 d-man

Comment

• Mski
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by clumping platelets View Post
          If we stay at #8, I'd like Ristolainen or Nurse........do not care that both at D......take the BPA and I think one of these players could be a solid #2/#3 d-man
          you dont take a potential #2 or 3 Dman in the top ten... you take the potential #1 guy, if you feel his potential is not better than everyone you have at that position, you look somewhere else. now if you believe his potential is to be the #1, and he only pans out to be a 2 or 3 thats something different.

personally i think they should try to trade up to 2 or 3
          RIP Tommy D!
          12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

they best trade up. keeping darcy and then trying a long rebuild will result in an empty building. they literally will haev a bunch of sales because the bills will suck by november, we get excited for the sabres and if they put out a season and craptastic as this year, then, it's over for people showing up to the games.

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Lindholm is the target of a trade up IMO.

if we stay at 8, I seriously consider Erne. Reunite him on a line with Grigerenko.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

I'm not really familiar with any of the prospects, but I'd love to see us get a big C who can get to the NHL ASAP. I know hockey's not like football and most draft picks spend some time in the lower levels before they are NHL-ready, but this team has been suffering from a lack of size and skill at the C position.

At some point in the draft, we also need to find some goalie help. The writing's on the wall for Miller. If he doesn't get traded this off-season, he likely won't be re-signed.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SabreEleven
                  • Aug 2002

McKinnon is said to be the best draft pick since Crosby which is hard to believe because he would be #1 overall with no question. I heard it on WGR a week or so ago so I don't have link .
                  Last edited by SabreEleven; 05-17-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by coastal View Post

if we stay at 8, I seriously consider Erne. Reunite him on a line with Grigerenko.
                    Erne would be a reach at 8..It is at least 50/50 they could get Erne at 16th overall

Comment

• Captain Obvious
                      I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      but I'd love to see us get a big C
                      If the Sabres draft Center Elias Lindholm (not likely probably going to the Flames @6 but maybe this is the guy Regier is trying to trade up for) dont freak out because he is only a 6'0 and 190 pound Center. Lindholm compares very favourably to Henrik Zetterberg and has a superior hockey IQ and is a tireless worker with very good intangibles.

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                        If the Sabres draft Center Elias Lindholm (not likely probably going to the Flames @6 but maybe this is the guy Regier is trying to trade up for) dont freak out because he is only a 6'0 and 190 pound Center. Lindholm compares very favourably to Henrik Zetterberg and has a superior hockey IQ and is a tireless worker with very good intangibles.
                        Well, I don't like comparisons like that. It's like people saying that Parrish could be successful at his size because Steve Smith is, or Gerbe and Ennis could be successful at their size because of Marty St. Louis. There's a reason why we can name all the athletes who succeed despite being undersized for their position: there's so few of them. Yes, the examples show it's possible, but it's still the exceptions to the rule.

If we trade up and draft this guy, fine, but we need to find some size somewhere. We already have Gerbe and Ennis. We can't have a whole team of guys who are undersized to average.
                        Last edited by OpIv37; 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                          Erne would be a reach at 8..It is at least 50/50 they could get Erne at 16th overall
                          I agree that's the mainstream view, but like Brooks... I look for the right players... not the best ones.

how would you feel about walking away from our first two picks with Erne and Lazar?

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                            I agree that's the mainstream view, but like Brooks... I look for the right players... not the best ones.

how would you feel about walking away from our first two picks with Erne and Lazar?
                            I like Lazar very high character guy and well liked by his teammates with some skill.. I like either Lazar or Erne at 16. I thought you were kinda on the Darnell Nurse bandwagon I think I like Nurse at 8 and either Lazar or Erne at 16 better

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                              I like Lazar very high character guy and well liked by his teammates with some skill.. I like either Lazar or Erne at 16. I thought you were kinda on the Darnell Nurse bandwagon I think I like Nurse at 8 and either Lazar or Erne at 16 better
                              I do like Nurse... but also like both of these kids... especially with Erne's familiarity with Grigerenko. The only thing left that line would need is a pure sniper (maybe next year via draft or you go after Phil Kessel when he becomes a free agent.)

We need two top tier lines.

we don't have even one right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X