PDA

View Full Version : Who is your #1 draft target and why?

coastal
05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Heading into the 2013 NHL draft... I'm curious to know who is your current target for the Sabres first pick (trade-up or not)?

if you aren't familiar with any of the prospects, what do you feel is the Sabres #1 need that should be filled with the first pick?

Mouldsie
05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
A skill player that wants a stanley cup like no other

clumping platelets
05-13-2013, 10:51 PM
D Seth Jones :sadwalk:

clumping platelets
05-13-2013, 10:53 PM
If we stay at #8, I'd like Ristolainen or Nurse........do not care that both at D......take the BPA and I think one of these players could be a solid #2/#3 d-man

Mski
05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
If we stay at #8, I'd like Ristolainen or Nurse........do not care that both at D......take the BPA and I think one of these players could be a solid #2/#3 d-man
you dont take a potential #2 or 3 Dman in the top ten... you take the potential #1 guy, if you feel his potential is not better than everyone you have at that position, you look somewhere else. now if you believe his potential is to be the #1, and he only pans out to be a 2 or 3 thats something different.

personally i think they should try to trade up to 2 or 3

trapezeus
05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
they best trade up. keeping darcy and then trying a long rebuild will result in an empty building. they literally will haev a bunch of sales because the bills will suck by november, we get excited for the sabres and if they put out a season and craptastic as this year, then, it's over for people showing up to the games.

coastal
05-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Lindholm is the target of a trade up IMO.

if we stay at 8, I seriously consider Erne. Reunite him on a line with Grigerenko.

OpIv37
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm not really familiar with any of the prospects, but I'd love to see us get a big C who can get to the NHL ASAP. I know hockey's not like football and most draft picks spend some time in the lower levels before they are NHL-ready, but this team has been suffering from a lack of size and skill at the C position.

At some point in the draft, we also need to find some goalie help. The writing's on the wall for Miller. If he doesn't get traded this off-season, he likely won't be re-signed.

SabreEleven
05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
McKinnon is said to be the best draft pick since Crosby which is hard to believe because he would be #1 overall with no question. I heard it on WGR a week or so ago so I don't have link .

Ginger Vitis
05-17-2013, 11:22 AM
if we stay at 8, I seriously consider Erne. Reunite him on a line with Grigerenko.

Erne would be a reach at 8..It is at least 50/50 they could get Erne at 16th overall

Captain Obvious
05-17-2013, 11:41 AM
but I'd love to see us get a big C

If the Sabres draft Center Elias Lindholm (not likely probably going to the Flames @6 but maybe this is the guy Regier is trying to trade up for) dont freak out because he is only a 6'0 and 190 pound Center. Lindholm compares very favourably to Henrik Zetterberg and has a superior hockey IQ and is a tireless worker with very good intangibles.

OpIv37
05-17-2013, 12:54 PM
If the Sabres draft Center Elias Lindholm (not likely probably going to the Flames @6 but maybe this is the guy Regier is trying to trade up for) dont freak out because he is only a 6'0 and 190 pound Center. Lindholm compares very favourably to Henrik Zetterberg and has a superior hockey IQ and is a tireless worker with very good intangibles.

Well, I don't like comparisons like that. It's like people saying that Parrish could be successful at his size because Steve Smith is, or Gerbe and Ennis could be successful at their size because of Marty St. Louis. There's a reason why we can name all the athletes who succeed despite being undersized for their position: there's so few of them. Yes, the examples show it's possible, but it's still the exceptions to the rule.

If we trade up and draft this guy, fine, but we need to find some size somewhere. We already have Gerbe and Ennis. We can't have a whole team of guys who are undersized to average.

coastal
05-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Erne would be a reach at 8..It is at least 50/50 they could get Erne at 16th overall
I agree that's the mainstream view, but like Brooks... I look for the right players... not the best ones.

how would you feel about walking away from our first two picks with Erne and Lazar?

Ginger Vitis
05-17-2013, 09:54 PM
I agree that's the mainstream view, but like Brooks... I look for the right players... not the best ones.

how would you feel about walking away from our first two picks with Erne and Lazar?

I like Lazar very high character guy and well liked by his teammates with some skill.. I like either Lazar or Erne at 16. I thought you were kinda on the Darnell Nurse bandwagon I think I like Nurse at 8 and either Lazar or Erne at 16 better

coastal
05-18-2013, 07:28 AM
I like Lazar very high character guy and well liked by his teammates with some skill.. I like either Lazar or Erne at 16. I thought you were kinda on the Darnell Nurse bandwagon I think I like Nurse at 8 and either Lazar or Erne at 16 better
I do like Nurse... but also like both of these kids... especially with Erne's familiarity with Grigerenko. The only thing left that line would need is a pure sniper (maybe next year via draft or you go after Phil Kessel when he becomes a free agent.)

We need two top tier lines.

we don't have even one right now.

The Jokeman
05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Heading into the 2013 NHL draft... I'm curious to know who is your current target for the Sabres first pick (trade-up or not)?

if you aren't familiar with any of the prospects, what do you feel is the Sabres #1 need that should be filled with the first pick?

Bobby Ryan, honestly people can go on and on about prospects but few have an impact as a veteran like Ryan could have. I mean everyone was commenting on how great Mikhail Grigorenko was going to be and he was far from great last year. Guys like Sid the Kid, Tyler Seguin are rare in the NHL. If the Sabres are serious about this rebuilding phase I'd move one our 1st Rounders if not both and Miller for a 1st or 2nd line winger and a starting goaltender back. I'd love to get Ryan and Hiller for Miller and pick 8 but that might be getting too much back or who knows maybe we can convince them to take Stafford too.

coastal
05-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Bobby Ryan, honestly people can go on and on about prospects but few have an impact as a veteran like Ryan could have. I mean everyone was commenting on how great Mikhail Grigorenko was going to be and he was far from great last year. Guys like Sid the Kid, Tyler Seguin are rare in the NHL. If the Sabres are serious about this rebuilding phase I'd move one our 1st Rounders if not both and Miller for a 1st or 2nd line winger and a starting goaltender back. I'd love to get Ryan and Hiller for Miller and pick 8 but that might be getting too much back or who knows maybe we can convince them to take Stafford too.
Agree you have to start filling in with vets too that fit what we are tryin to do, and to be honest... this is my first year in 20+ where I'm following hockey like an obsession again... so am not too familiar with the Western Conf players yet.

its all timing though.

first and foremost we need a first and second line that can be counted on to produce.

Grigs is going to be fine. He has an understanding for the flow of the game and in a couple of years has the potential to be the first, or at least second line pivot. Reuniting with him Erne who helps to open the ice would be a good start to building one of those lines.

Ginger Vitis
05-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Lindholm compares very favourably to Henrik Zetterberg

Id say Lindholms ceiling is Zetterberg and his floor is Richard Peverley. I dont think Lindholm will be a 80+ points per season scorer realistically he will probably get 65 points a season. Some Sabres fans might not think this is enough offensive production from the 8th overall pick but Lindholm is good at the defensive end as well and has good character. if Darcy thinks Lindholm is the best player available at 8 darcy should take him

Skooby
05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Spot #2.

coastal
05-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Id say Lindholms ceiling is Zetterberg and his floor is Richard Peverley. I dont think Lindholm will be a 80+ points per season scorer realistically he will probably get 65 points a season. Some Sabres fans might not think this is enough offensive production from the 8th overall pick but Lindholm is good at the defensive end as well and has good character. if Darcy thinks Lindholm is the best player available at 8 darcy should take him
I'd be stoked about Lindholm and Erne.

Ginger Vitis
05-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I'd be stoked about Lindholm and Erne.

Yeah reputable draft sites agree with you the Sabres, with the exception of Grigorenko, are weak at top end forwards in there system. With McNabb and Pysyk ready to play in the NHL and McCabe and Gauthier in the pipeline the Sabres have depth at defense.. I suspect Jhonas Enroth and Matt Hackett are borderline starting goalies not goalies who would ever reach "Top 10" status but the No.1 goalie in this draft(Fucale) might be a bit of a reach at 16.. I would not hate getting 2 forwards in the 1st round