PDA

View Full Version : Tarvaris Jackson leads Buffalo Bills QBs to start OTAs

MidnightVoice
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000169370/article/tarvaris-jackson-leads-buffalo-bills-qbs-to-start-otas

Tarvaris Jackson is an underdog to start at quarterback for the Buffalo Bills in Week 1. But coach Doug Marrone at least is giving the impression that Jackson has a chance to compete with Kevin Kolb and EJ Manuel.
Breer: The 'surprise' that wasn't
Geno Smith's fall wasn't that shocking, Albert Breer says, considering questions that popped up about his play on the field. More ...

Jackson led the quarterback rotation at the Bills' organized team activities on Tuesday. Marrone indicated via BuffaloBills.com that that arrangement would change daily until one player stepped up, but it's still notable Jackson is part of the mix. (And that he went first.)

It's not like Kolb's track record is particularly better than Jackson. It wouldn't be that shocking if Marrone decided Jackson is the better player of the two veterans.

Then again, Jackson knows that taking the first snap doesn't mean much. He also was first in line in the three-way battle including Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson last year with the Seattle Seahawks,

jamze132
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
It will be Kolb as the starter, Manuel as the BU, Tuel as the 3rd stringer, and Jackson as the homeless guy.

MidnightVoice
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
That is what I kinda hope to start the season

ServoBillieves
05-14-2013, 01:39 PM
I still think that Manuel/Jackson/Smith could be the QB depth chart... The only reason I think it's an incredible long shot is Kolb's contract wording.

I'm thinking Manuel/Kolb/Smith, Tuel on the PS.

Joe Fo Sho
05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Thinking back to week 17 last season, I would have to say the Tarvaris Jackson being the starter is one of the most unlikeliest scenarios I could have thought of. After being benched all season and with his contract being up, I didn't think there was a chance of him even resigning to stay here. Add to that the fact that we signed Kevin Kolb in free agency, as well as drafted a QB in the 1st round.

Parzival
05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
It's simply a case of Jackson being the longest tenured QB on the roster at this point. He knows the players and the players are most comfortable with him. Plus there's no way you give Manuel the starting job right away, you need to make him earn it. This means pretty much nothing right now.

trapezeus
05-14-2013, 03:21 PM
plus, you just give tjax the opportunity to blow it and then you move on. if he is so terrible, you cut him. if he isn't, he stays. plus, OBD is actualy high on kolb. they don't think he's just a stop gap, they think he's a legit qb who under the right circumstances could bridge the bills to the playoffs.

If you buy that, then you should start TJax when no one really understands the offense and say, "you performed the worst, we cut you." meanwhile, kolb and manuel get the benefit of watching and learning. then they move forward with where they think the real competition will be with each guy having a better sense of what to do.

and if tjax plays well, then you got a problem that you wouldn't mind having. 3 qbs, two of which have cheap contracts. if another team's qb gets hurt during training camp, you trade the worst of the two for a 2-4 round pick depending on the desperate nature of the team.

SpikedLemonade
05-14-2013, 04:45 PM
and if tjax plays well, then you got a problem that you wouldn't mind having. 3 qbs, two of which have cheap contracts. if another team's qb gets hurt during training camp, you trade the worst of the two for a 2-4 round pick depending on the desperate nature of the team.

Impossible.

A nice dream however.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Tuel is going to land on the practice squad, Kolb and/or Jackson get the second string and EJ gets to hold the clipboard, and Smith gets the to ride the megabus out of here. I think those who expect to see a lot of #3 on the field are going to be very disappointed this season. I also fully expect, especially if Kolb plays decently --we win a few games and he puts up decent numbers -- that he becomes trade bait and we start the 2014 season with EJ as the starter, Jackson as the second stringer, and Tuel in third.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-14-2013, 04:51 PM
plus, you just give tjax the opportunity to blow it and then you move on. if he is so terrible, you cut him. if he isn't, he stays. plus, OBD is actualy high on kolb. they don't think he's just a stop gap, they think he's a legit qb who under the right circumstances could bridge the bills to the playoffs.

If you buy that, then you should start TJax when no one really understands the offense and say, "you performed the worst, we cut you." meanwhile, kolb and manuel get the benefit of watching and learning. then they move forward with where they think the real competition will be with each guy having a better sense of what to do.

Good post, and I agree with the trade, but no way in hell that we get a 2 out of a trade involving Kolb or Jackson. A 3rd - 6th, probably a 4th through 6th, is more realistic

Parzival
05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Tuel is going to land on the practice squad, Kolb and/or Jackson get the second string and EJ gets to hold the clipboard, and Smith gets the to ride the megabus out of here. I think those who expect to see a lot of #3 on the field are going to be very disappointed this season. I also fully expect, especially if Kolb plays decently --we win a few games and he puts up decent numbers -- that he becomes trade bait and we start the 2014 season with EJ as the starter, Jackson as the second stringer, and Tuel in third.

Umm so who would be starting? You have Kolb and/or Jackson on the 2nd string, EJ holding the clipboard (back up, third string?) and Smith getting cut.

anyway I think it's awesome that there's a "servo" and a mst3k posting here, one f my all time favorite shows.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Umm so who would be starting? You have Kolb and/or Jackson on the 2nd string, EJ holding the clipboard (back up, third string?) and Smith getting cut.

anyway I think it's awesome that there's a "servo" and a mst3k posting here, one f my all time favorite shows.

Damn it, I left out a few words. So I will repost it for clarity. The starter will be the winner of Kolb and Jackson competition, the loser of the competition gets the second string, and EJ will start the season as the third string, and my guess is that he gets to learn the game by watching tons of game film and they work with him in practice to improve his mechanics. Tuel gets the practice squad and Smith gets a ride on the Megabus out of town. I think that EJ doesn't play at all this season, but if he does its going to be very late. Furthermore, I think that cut is not going to enter the equation of what happens with Kolb and Jackson. If they feel that EJ can start later this season, however, I think the loser of the Jackson and Kolb competition could get placed on the trade block and we get an extra pick somewhere in the range of a 4th to 6th round and Tuel gets promoted to the 53 man roster. However, regardless of what happens, I think --or at least I hope -- that Smith has played his last game as a member of this franchise.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-15-2013, 02:03 AM

If anyone could hold a QB competition that nobody wins, it would be us lol

I think Jackson has a real chance to win this QB competition. I don't think Kolb has accomplished much of anything and Jackson at least stays healthy.

trapezeus
05-15-2013, 07:28 AM
i think a 5-7 is more realistic, but you never know how badly a team feels when they lose their starter and have no faith in the current back up. if you are a decent defensive team and just want someone to not blow games (technically neither kolb or tjax would be good fits) but its better than to have one of these guys vs a rookie or a thigpen like back up. maybe someone tosses you a bone since you are really the only team willing to part with a qb.

either way, one pick for these guys would be excellent.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
05-15-2013, 07:34 AM
J'Dinkalage Morgoone to start. http://i.imgur.com/pd02t.jpg

k-oneputt
05-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Jackson will be the 1st qb out the door. Sometime around the weekend of Aug. 17th.

Historian
05-15-2013, 08:39 AM
This would mean they actually have to issue him a uniform...

k-oneputt
05-15-2013, 10:46 AM
This would mean they actually have to issue him a uniform... For a couple of weeks at least. He will then be watching opening day on Directv.

SCBILLFAN1
05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
It will be Kolb as the starter, Manuel as the BU, Tuel as the 3rd stringer, and Jackson as the homeless guy.

Tuel to the practice squad and Jackson stays.

trapezeus
05-15-2013, 11:46 AM
if the coaches are truly reluctant to let manuel play this year, cutting tjax is a bad move. kolb will be hurt by week 5

better days
05-15-2013, 01:16 PM
If anyone could hold a QB competition that nobody wins, it would be us lol

I think Jackson has a real chance to win this QB competition. I don't think Kolb has accomplished much of anything and Jackson at least stays healthy.

Actually, Jackson got injured in Seattle or I think he would have done much better there. I expect the QB competition to be wide open & it should be a fun preseason.

Parzival
05-15-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't see us getting anything in the way of a trade for any QB on the roster (Manuel excluded obviously). Seriously, we are the Bills. No one is going to give up anything for a QB who can't make the Buffalo Bills roster.

trapezeus
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't see us getting anything in the way of a trade for any QB on the roster (Manuel excluded obviously). Seriously, we are the Bills. No one is going to give up anything for a QB who can't make the Buffalo Bills roster.

yet every year some team loses a starter or their depth guy and its just inconceivable to go into week 1 with just one qualified guy. for ebtter or worse, teh bills have 2 solid back-ups vying for the starter position. if one is expendable, mail him out for whateveryou can get.

Typ0
05-15-2013, 04:41 PM

I bet we either trade away or release a QB who starts a game in the NFL this year for another team.

BillsFever21
05-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Jackson or Kolb getting traded for a 2nd-4th round draft pick? That's a good one. You would be lucky to get any draft pick out of either of them let alone a 2nd-4th round pick.

k-oneputt
05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
I bet we either trade away or release a QB who starts a game in the NFL this year for another team.

I will take that bet.