PDA

View Full Version : Bruins comeback

The King
05-15-2013, 07:35 AM
I know it's a Sabres board and most of you hate the Bruins, but seriously not one person talking about Mondays comeback?

Granted its the leafs and the Bruins should've wrapped the series up in 5, but if you're the slightest hockey fan you have to acknowledge what they did. Down 4-1, two goals with the goalie pulled in 40 seconds with only :50 remaining, it was a sports milestone.

SabreEleven
05-15-2013, 07:55 AM
I just thank god I'm not a Leafs fan.

gebobs
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I know it's a Sabres board and most of you hate the Bruins, but seriously not one person talking about Mondays comeback?

Granted its the leafs and the Bruins should've wrapped the series up in 5, but if you're the slightest hockey fan you have to acknowledge what they did. Down 4-1, two goals with the goalie pulled in 40 seconds with only :50 remaining, it was a sports milestone.
Since there's no general NHL forum, this is the right place. That was sick.

Here's one Leafs fan's perspective (http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-hockey-hurts-you-505456449?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow).

See the video from Maple Leaf Square. It's pathetic. I truly feel sorry for Leafs fans. In some ways, it's worse than not making the playoffs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oIBiQPyYiBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skooby
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I have no sympathy for the Leafs or fans, eh. As per talking about the Bruins here, are they going the whole way this year?

POTLAND PSILBYLO
05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
2:50 mark
http://youtu.be/veuxf_kqI1Q

The King
05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I have no sympathy for the Leafs or fans, eh. As per talking about the Bruins here, are they going the whole way this year?
I give them a 30% chance of getting past the Rangers

sukie
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Is this the hockey equivalent of the Music City Miracle without the controversy? (I meanthe way Leaf fans feel right now?)

The King
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Is this the hockey equivalent of the Music City Miracle without the controversy? (I meanthe way Leaf fans feel right now?)
I think you can argue its worse.

It's the equivalent of throwing a pick six with one minute left, then bobbling the snap on a QB kneel and having the opponent score again in under 40 seconds.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
I think you can argue its worse.

It's the equivalent of throwing a pick six with one minute left, then bobbling the snap on a QB kneel and having the opponent score again in under 40 seconds.

No, you need to add the element that a) the losing team has sucked for decades and B) they came back from the brink of elimination only to choke in the worst way imaginable. The only example I can think of that's close is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

Skooby
05-15-2013, 01:56 PM

I'm feeling the exact same way.

trapezeus
05-15-2013, 02:32 PM
bruins have the momentum. rangers survived an onslaught of shots in the first period in game seven and scored a weak goal. they continue to be unimpressive for the amount of talent they have amassed. I give the bruins the advantage to win this series going into it.

as for the bruins winning, when is this boston streak going to end. ****ing lucky every twist and turn for the last 13 years.

gebobs
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
bruins have the momentum. rangers survived an onslaught of shots in the first period in game seven and scored a weak goal. they continue to be unimpressive for the amount of talent they have amassed. I give the bruins the advantage to win this series going into it.

as for the bruins winning, when is this boston streak going to end. ****ing lucky every twist and turn for the last 13 years.

I agree. The Rangers beat the Caps who are known playoff patsies. The Bruins are a team made for the playoffs. More than any other sport, hockey playoffs, and the NHL in particular, are a breed unto their own. The Bruins will pound the Rangers into submission.

SabreEleven
05-15-2013, 03:04 PM

I'd put that number more like 80 to 90%. You are just practicing reverse psychology.

The King
05-15-2013, 03:25 PM
I haven't missed a Bruins game in years. I know what this team has and what it lacks. We have no goal scorers, we can't move the puck in the offensive zone and we suck against Lundqvist.

We're a better team than Toronto but that's about as far as I see them going this post season.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-15-2013, 03:40 PM

David Tyree? Asante Samuel? Bernard Pollard's reign of terror? Boston's luck has evened out a lot, really.

trapezeus
05-15-2013, 04:38 PM
David Tyree? Asante Samuel? Bernard Pollard's reign of terror? Boston's luck has evened out a lot, really.

a couple cases, but they've won all four major championships at least 1 in the last 13 years. they got caught cheating and avoided punishment and by and large still do it.

the world was a better place when boston was a crappy town with crappy people who thought they deserved better.

and what i love about boston sports is that they desperately want to be envied, but no one does. Like the yankees are envied. Even when you hate them, you respect them for being classy. every one of these boston sports teams are so unlikeable by outsiders. so they are just for bostonians to jump up and down and none of us would want their team as their own.

Mski
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
a couple cases, but they've won all four major championships at least 1 in the last 13 years. they got caught cheating and avoided punishment and by and large still do it.

the world was a better place when boston was a crappy town with crappy people who thought they deserved better.

and what i love about boston sports is that they desperately want to be envied, but no one does. Like the yankees are envied. Even when you hate them, you respect them for being classy. every one of these boston sports teams are so unlikeable by outsiders. so they are just for bostonians to jump up and down and none of us would want their team as their own.

i would have to disgaree, slightly, that celtic team that won with Garnet was somewhat likeable, and i despise basketball in general

mightysimi
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
As Bills fans we should be sympathetic to new and tragic ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

SkateZilla
05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Toronto's Collapse.

gebobs
05-16-2013, 11:01 PM
I haven't missed a Bruins game in years. I know what this team has and what it lacks. We have no goal scorers, we can't move the puck in the offensive zone and we suck against Lundqvist.
Wow! You nailed it. That all came true tonight.

coastal
05-16-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm a Leafs fan first and foremost.

That game was pure horror.

The Leafs went to sleep on a Championship team and in doing so, handed over their 7 games of work in a matter of minutes.

this will be a very hard lesson for this team to learn... maybe even one they can't get past, especially with Phaneuf as their captain.

as a technical aspect of the game... for the life of me can't figure out their inability to cover the point.

The King
05-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Phaneuf is the worst Captain in sports.

The King
05-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Wow! You nailed it. That all came true tonight.
King Henrik was weak tonight, he let some softies in. Bruins coming back from another tough situation too.

mightysimi
05-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm a Leafs fan first and foremost.

That game was pure horror.

The Leafs went to sleep on a Championship team and in doing so, handed over their 7 games of work in a matter of minutes.

this will be a very hard lesson for this team to learn... maybe even one they can't get past, especially with Phaneuf as their captain.

as a technical aspect of the game... for the life of me can't figure out their inability to cover the point.

It's their defensive strategy to crowd the front of the net and try to block everything.

coastal
05-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Phaneuf is the worst Captain in sports.
Right after Vinny Lecavlier

coastal
05-17-2013, 05:52 PM
It's their defensive strategy to crowd the front of the net and try to block everything.you can cover the points (basic defensive zone stuff) and block shots.

The Jokeman
05-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm a a Sabres fan and admit I had to play this song to a buddy who roots for Toronto;

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qt83YS_yay8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

coastal
05-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Not nice.

YankeeInRaleigh
05-18-2013, 08:23 PM
**** the bruins

mightysimi
05-21-2013, 08:03 PM
you can cover the points (basic defensive zone stuff) and block shots.

Of course you can but if more players are closer to the net, there are less lanes for the puck to get through. You can get a puck around 1 guy. NYR do the same thing. I'm not saying it's wrong or right it's just that is what they do.

Skooby
05-21-2013, 10:24 PM
DP scores the tie-breaking goal, wow.

gebobs
05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
DP scores the tie-breaking goal, wow.

Paille is better for being under Julien. I hated that move.

gebobs
05-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I hate the Bruins, but I hate the Rangers more now. It's personal.

coastal
05-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Of course you can but if more players are closer to the net, there are less lanes for the puck to get through. You can get a puck around 1 guy. NYR do the same thing. I'm not saying it's wrong or right it's just that is what they do.
I get that... and not arguing here.

The Bruins run a perimeter cycle in the offensive zone. Running a defensive zone shell only plays into that.

maybe they chose that because they didn't trust Reimer and his rebound control... maybe they don't trust their defensemen to clear the front of the net... maybe both.

whatever reason... if Im coaching the Leafs, Im playing a puck support rotational coverage scheme to match what the bruins do.

The Leafs team speed would have then been turned into an advantage in the defensive zone as well.

OpIv37
05-22-2013, 07:26 AM
I get that... and not arguing here.

The Bruins run a perimeter cycle in the offensive zone. Running a defensive zone shell only plays into that.

maybe they chose that because they didn't trust Reimer and his rebound control... maybe they don't trust their defensemen to clear the front of the net... maybe both.

whatever reason... if Im coaching the Leafs, Im playing a puck support rotational coverage scheme to match what the bruins do.

The Leafs team speed would have then been turned into an advantage in the defensive zone as well.

Sooooo......

Questionable coaching strategy
Staying married to the system instead of adjusting to what the opponent is doing
An epic, almost impossible last minute collapse
Before the epic collapse, getting fans' hopes up as high as possible by making the playoffs, going to game 7 against a team that's statistically much better, and getting a huge lead....

Multiply that by a few dozen times and you'll know what it's like to be a Bills and Sabres fan.

Skooby
05-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Sooooo......

Questionable coaching strategy
Staying married to the system instead of adjusting to what the opponent is doing
An epic, almost impossible last minute collapse
Before the epic collapse, getting fans' hopes up as high as possible by making the playoffs, going to game 7 against a team that's statistically much better, and getting a huge lead....

Multiply that by a few dozen times and you'll know what it's like to be a Bills and Sabres fan.

Add in Dad's alcoholism & Mom's depression & you got it pegged.

mightysimi
05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't know that a strategy that they have been using would have been able to change quickly like that. When the bullets start flying, you kind of just go with what you have been doing. Plus, they probably were concerned about Reimer. Either way it was a terrible collapse that I am sympathetic to having been a Bills fan for 20 years or so.

coastal
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't know that a strategy that they have been using would have been able to change quickly like that. When the bullets start flying, you kind of just go with what you have been doing. Plus, they probably were concerned about Reimer. Either way it was a terrible collapse that I am sympathetic to having been a Bills fan for 20 years or so.
I hear ya on all counts here.

schematic changes aside... more than anything the Leafs stopped skating. Period. End of story.

mightysimi
05-23-2013, 12:10 PM
yeah they went into full on panic mode. That's the difference between a team that has been there before and a team who hasn't. They will learn from it though.

coastal
06-06-2013, 03:00 PM
One game from the Cup finals.

as if it wasn't painful enough.

mightysimi
06-06-2013, 03:22 PM
imagine they win...

trapezeus
06-07-2013, 01:40 PM
maybe the sport gods are just trying to get boston to the pinnacle before they take it all away from boston and return them to being the worst sports town in the world.

they don't care about hockey or football...but when its convenient. and all the stories about how their grandpappies were big bruins fans come out.

F the bruins. i hope they get smoked by the penguins in four or get toasted by the blackhawks.