• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

EJ and, Geno primed to shine

Gil Brandt - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith among criticized rookies primed to shine

Expecting the Buffalo Bills' EJ Manuel or New York Jets' Geno Smith to stumble? Gil Brandt says you'll be disappointed. Here are five rookies who will shine in the face of widespread criticism.

In the interest of exploring that gap between perception and reality, I've identified five rookies who have attracted boatloads of early criticism but who have already shown, with their performance at rookie minicamps, that they're likely to outperform expectations. After prompting questions on draft day, these guys all look primed to contribute in their debut years.

EJ Manuel, QB, Buffalo Bills

16th overall, Florida State

Many question whether Manuel can live up to his lofty status as a top-20 pick (and the first quarterback drafted), but I think he'll eventually prove to be the franchise signal-caller Buffalo has long been looking for.

I've known Bills offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett since he was about 8 years old, when his father, Paul, was a coach for the Cowboys; I think he's a very knowledgeable person, someone who's got the look of a future head-coaching candidate. So I trust his opinion of Manuel -- whom he counts as a dynamic person.

Hackett was impressed with how well Manuel knew the playbook at the Bills' minicamp, with how much information he absorbed in a relatively short amount of time. He said Manuel was able to jump right into the huddle and start calling plays without any problems.

Hackett acknowledged that Manuel needs to improve his footwork, but he thinks some tweaking should solve those issues. Manuel did have a less-than-optimal completion rate of 68 percent last season -- and, as the rule of thumb when it comes to projecting how that number will translate to the NFL is to lower it by 10 percent, that is cause for concern. In an attempt to help him be more accurate, the Bills are having Manuel change how he holds the football.

While I think Manuel could definitely hack it as a first-year starter, I don't think they should push him. And I should say that Hackett thinks the longer a young quarterback is able to sit and learn in the early going, the better off he'll ultimately be. Still, he also pointed out that Manuel isn't afraid of anything.

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: EJ and, Geno primed to shine

I really respect Gil Brandt & enjoy listening to him on Sirius Radio.

Comment

• kishoph
      • Jun 2003

Who's Geno going to throw the ball to ? Who's he gonna hand it off to ? The Jets are a mess, I don't see a rookie QB who has a ton of questions marks, leading that team and shining, with no supporting cast.

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
        Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
        • Nov 2012

Brad Smith trade coming up

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

very positive outlook. like that hackett likes a young qb learning from sideline. which makes sense if they are adjusting his throwing mechanics.

that 10% off college accuracy is a really scary thought.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

68% is a less than optimal completion percentage? That was Top 10 in the entire NCAA last year. That's in the Top 100 for single-season completion %s of all time.

Sure, dispute whether the 68% was inflated or meaningful all you want, but the number itself isn't cause for concern - it's cause for hope.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Gibby
              Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
              • Jun 2006

EJ, as suspect as his accuracy and over the middle reads are, has a far better chance of shining in the league than Geno. Geno will get into the shine of the NYC media machine and as soon as he starts making rookie mistakes he gets declared a bust. I see Geno staying in the league for 5 to 8 years, but he won't be considered as a starter type beyond year three. EJ, assuming they do it right, will sit most of his freshman year and learn how to watch game film and improve on his accuracy and footwork, and will be ready to do great things starting in year two. I think EJ will be in the league for about 10 to 15 years and will be the starter --and for the same team -- for the great majority of that time.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Muktar al-Portlandi View Post
                wait, who said this?

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  • Jan 2010

after looking at some of the youtube vids as an amateur billszone scout lol, I always said from the get go in march that these qbs in this class were a lot better than they were given credit for. I loved geno, ej, glennon, and barkley.... I think a couple years from now people will realize that. ron jaworski, dilfer, and john gruden looked at tons of tape and didn't get the lack of love for this qb class either. not saying ej and geno will be like rg3, but these guys were good qbs to pick imo

Comment

• Gibby
                    Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Muktar al-Portlandi View Post
                    If we trade Smith to the Jets we need to demand no lower than a second.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
                      who said this? espn?

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
                        If we were offered any pick whatsoever for Brad Smith I would take it immediately.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                          Sab and TD are insignificant
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                          If we were offered any pick whatsoever for Brad Smith I would take it immediately.
                          I would even throw in a dinner at denny's as well if I were Ralph.
                          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            I was being so facetious. I am really beginning to think the Jets front office is so fouled up that they might actually give us a second if we asked for it. That team is a colossal joke and will be a perennial cellar dweller in a couple years.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

I'm taking my time with Manuel. Smith looks like a flop waiting to happen.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍