will bills run a no huddle base offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

will bills run a no huddle base offense?

high tempo, almost to a ridiculous level, and fred said they want to run as many plays as possible giving them more chances to score....???
  • BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Re: will bills run a no huddle base offense?

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
    high tempo, almost to a ridiculous level, and fred said they want to run as many plays as possible giving them more chances to score....???
    We hear this almost every offseason. I think they just like to say that stuff to get overzealous fans thinking about the 1990's again.

If it was such a great and easy offense to run then more teams would be doing it. There's a reason why Manning is basically the only one of the past generation to make it work for the long haul. It takes a certain type of QB which doesn't come around that often. Especially if you're asking them to call their own plays.

Comment

• Mouldsie
      • Aug 2012

This favors Kolb IMO

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
        We hear this almost every offseason. I think they just like to say that stuff to get overzealous fans thinking about the 1990's again.

If it was such a great and easy offense to run then more teams would be doing it. There's a reason why Manning is basically the only one of the past generation to make it work for the long haul. It takes a certain type of QB which doesn't come around that often. Especially if you're asking them to call their own plays.
        I don't think the Bills will have the QB call plays.................at least not for a long while.

The players are saying they are having to condition themselves to play in this uptempo offense. Everyone is in much better condition already than they were last year.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

The no-huddle as a base O would be stupid.

We don't have anywhere close to the talent we had in the mid-90's on O or D. And when the no-huddle failed, it failed because a 3 and out took barely 90 seconds off the clock before the D was right back out there. Lopsided TOP has been killing this team the last few years.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

We don't have anywhere close to the talent we had in the mid-90's on O or D. And when the no-huddle failed, it failed because a 3 and out took barely 90 seconds off the clock before the D was right back out there. Lopsided TOP has been killing this team the last few years.
            I don't know if it will be the base offense, but it looks like the Bills plan to use it a lot.

The defense will have to get off the field as fast as the offense does to have any hope of winning.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

I do think they'll be running an up-tempo system as long as the game dictates that, but with a rookie QB or Kolb, I doubt we use no-huddle as a base O.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

I don't think 'no huddle' and 'hurry up' are the same here. At least I hope not. We can run a no huddle offense and still tick the play clock to 5 seconds before snapping the ball, kind of like what Peyton did in Indy all those years.

Besides, when we've gone 3 and out in the past, we still barely took 90 seconds off the clock. When you only run 3 plays, you can only take 120 seconds max anyway. The problem lies more with the 3 and outs than with the style offense we run when we go 3 and out.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

As stated above, the QB's don't seem ideal for a base no huddle. EJ seems to be pretty intelligent from what I've read and what the coaches have said, so maybe a year or two down the road paired with the development of Woods and Goodwin/Graham.

What does interest me with this group is the speed emphasis. With Graham, Goodwin, and Spiller, a big play could happen at any time. Sure, we tried that with Roscoe/Evans as well but new QB's, new system, yada yada... Not getting my hopes up this year but should be at least fun to watch.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                    I don't think 'no huddle' and 'hurry up' are the same here. At least I hope not. We can run a no huddle offense and still tick the play clock to 5 seconds before snapping the ball, kind of like what Peyton did in Indy all those years.

Besides, when we've gone 3 and out in the past, we still barely took 90 seconds off the clock. When you only run 3 plays, you can only take 120 seconds max anyway. The problem lies more with the 3 and outs than with the style offense we run when we go 3 and out.
                    Well whats the point in running a no-huddle if you're not going to hurry plays up? I dont see a benefit of keeping a young guy like EJ OUT of the huddle when you're just going to take your time. And Peyton did this because he called his own plays, I dont see this being the case with EJ

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                      Well whats the point in running a no-huddle if you're not going to hurry plays up? I dont see a benefit of keeping a young guy like EJ OUT of the huddle when you're just going to take your time. And Peyton did this because he called his own plays, I dont see this being the case with EJ
                      My understanding is the Bills philosophy is the more plays the offense runs in a game, the more chances they have to score. It also tires out the defense if the offense can stay on the field with that quick pace.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

Prevents the defense from substituting for one. Plus you get the defense to the line quicker, and they have to be ready for a snap for 25 seconds, instead of 5 seconds..it tires them out more than the offense who knows exactly when the snap is coming. EJ doesn't have to call his own plays, his headset will still work when not in a huddle.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

The benefit of a no-huddle hurry up offense is that the defense is limited to fairly simple playcalls because they are tired and they don't have a ton of time for shifts and disguising. Tom Brady and the Pats run the fastest hurry up offense in the league so he takes away most of the ambiguity about how the defense is going to attack him.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                            Prevents the defense from substituting for one. Plus you get the defense to the line quicker, and they have to be ready for a snap for 25 seconds, instead of 5 seconds..it tires them out more than the offense who knows exactly when the snap is coming. EJ doesn't have to call his own plays, his headset will still work when not in a huddle.
                            I get your point but I dont think we'd have a rookie QB doing this.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

I get your point but I dont think we'd have a rookie QB doing this.
                              DON'T CALL EJ STUPID, BRO!!!

Haha, yeah I don't know either. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X