PDA

View Full Version : will bills run a no huddle base offense?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
high tempo, almost to a ridiculous level, and fred said they want to run as many plays as possible giving them more chances to score....???:pray:

BillsFever21
05-15-2013, 10:52 PM
high tempo, almost to a ridiculous level, and fred said they want to run as many plays as possible giving them more chances to score....???:pray:

We hear this almost every offseason. I think they just like to say that stuff to get overzealous fans thinking about the 1990's again.

If it was such a great and easy offense to run then more teams would be doing it. There's a reason why Manning is basically the only one of the past generation to make it work for the long haul. It takes a certain type of QB which doesn't come around that often. Especially if you're asking them to call their own plays.

Mouldsie
05-15-2013, 11:51 PM
This favors Kolb IMO

better days
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
We hear this almost every offseason. I think they just like to say that stuff to get overzealous fans thinking about the 1990's again.

If it was such a great and easy offense to run then more teams would be doing it. There's a reason why Manning is basically the only one of the past generation to make it work for the long haul. It takes a certain type of QB which doesn't come around that often. Especially if you're asking them to call their own plays.

I don't think the Bills will have the QB call plays.................at least not for a long while.

The players are saying they are having to condition themselves to play in this uptempo offense. Everyone is in much better condition already than they were last year.

OpIv37
05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
The no-huddle as a base O would be stupid.

We don't have anywhere close to the talent we had in the mid-90's on O or D. And when the no-huddle failed, it failed because a 3 and out took barely 90 seconds off the clock before the D was right back out there. Lopsided TOP has been killing this team the last few years.

better days
05-16-2013, 09:30 AM

We don't have anywhere close to the talent we had in the mid-90's on O or D. And when the no-huddle failed, it failed because a 3 and out took barely 90 seconds off the clock before the D was right back out there. Lopsided TOP has been killing this team the last few years.

I don't know if it will be the base offense, but it looks like the Bills plan to use it a lot.

The defense will have to get off the field as fast as the offense does to have any hope of winning.

Pinkerton Security
05-16-2013, 09:30 AM
I do think they'll be running an up-tempo system as long as the game dictates that, but with a rookie QB or Kolb, I doubt we use no-huddle as a base O.

Joe Fo Sho
05-16-2013, 09:52 AM

I don't think 'no huddle' and 'hurry up' are the same here. At least I hope not. We can run a no huddle offense and still tick the play clock to 5 seconds before snapping the ball, kind of like what Peyton did in Indy all those years.

Besides, when we've gone 3 and out in the past, we still barely took 90 seconds off the clock. When you only run 3 plays, you can only take 120 seconds max anyway. The problem lies more with the 3 and outs than with the style offense we run when we go 3 and out.

ServoBillieves
05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
As stated above, the QB's don't seem ideal for a base no huddle. EJ seems to be pretty intelligent from what I've read and what the coaches have said, so maybe a year or two down the road paired with the development of Woods and Goodwin/Graham.

What does interest me with this group is the speed emphasis. With Graham, Goodwin, and Spiller, a big play could happen at any time. Sure, we tried that with Roscoe/Evans as well but new QB's, new system, yada yada... Not getting my hopes up this year but should be at least fun to watch.

Pinkerton Security
05-16-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't think 'no huddle' and 'hurry up' are the same here. At least I hope not. We can run a no huddle offense and still tick the play clock to 5 seconds before snapping the ball, kind of like what Peyton did in Indy all those years.

Besides, when we've gone 3 and out in the past, we still barely took 90 seconds off the clock. When you only run 3 plays, you can only take 120 seconds max anyway. The problem lies more with the 3 and outs than with the style offense we run when we go 3 and out.

Well whats the point in running a no-huddle if you're not going to hurry plays up? I dont see a benefit of keeping a young guy like EJ OUT of the huddle when you're just going to take your time. And Peyton did this because he called his own plays, I dont see this being the case with EJ

better days
05-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Well whats the point in running a no-huddle if you're not going to hurry plays up? I dont see a benefit of keeping a young guy like EJ OUT of the huddle when you're just going to take your time. And Peyton did this because he called his own plays, I dont see this being the case with EJ

My understanding is the Bills philosophy is the more plays the offense runs in a game, the more chances they have to score. It also tires out the defense if the offense can stay on the field with that quick pace.

Joe Fo Sho
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Prevents the defense from substituting for one. Plus you get the defense to the line quicker, and they have to be ready for a snap for 25 seconds, instead of 5 seconds..it tires them out more than the offense who knows exactly when the snap is coming. EJ doesn't have to call his own plays, his headset will still work when not in a huddle.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
The benefit of a no-huddle hurry up offense is that the defense is limited to fairly simple playcalls because they are tired and they don't have a ton of time for shifts and disguising. Tom Brady and the Pats run the fastest hurry up offense in the league so he takes away most of the ambiguity about how the defense is going to attack him.

Pinkerton Security
05-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Prevents the defense from substituting for one. Plus you get the defense to the line quicker, and they have to be ready for a snap for 25 seconds, instead of 5 seconds..it tires them out more than the offense who knows exactly when the snap is coming. EJ doesn't have to call his own plays, his headset will still work when not in a huddle.

I get your point but I dont think we'd have a rookie QB doing this.

Joe Fo Sho
05-16-2013, 10:59 AM

DON'T CALL EJ STUPID, BRO!!!

Haha, yeah I don't know either. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-16-2013, 11:03 AM

With rookie wideouts and a fresh starter on the OL no less.

RedEyE
05-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Let's let the coaches do their job and decide.

The Noles were running the No Huddle about 70% of the time during his time there. I know the reads will be different in the NFL but let's see what he can do in practice against Pettine's D before labeling him incapable.

I firmly believe that the reason the Bills so highly coveted Manuel was because of the level of comfort they though he would have in Hackett's offense.

If you listen to all the reports on Geno Smith, this style offense would have been completely new to him. Manuel gives the Bills a shorter window to getting him up to NFL speed. There will be some variation in lingo and he will have to learn to better read defensive disguise, but the latter is only going to come with experience.

If he can get the lingo down, learn the playbook and show signs of improvement throughout the off & pre season, I don't believe the Bills have any reason to keep him on the bench.

jamze132
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Yep. It sucks when your offense literally kills your defense because they go 3 and out all game.

theanswer74
05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Its not the same type of no huddle we see experienced QB's run. The plays are called by the coach but in a way it can communicated quickly, probably a number or something. Its also not something they do all game, the tempo will fluctuate.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-20-2013, 02:19 AM
man would I love this to open up with ej opening day! exciting.....