PDA

View Full Version : WILL EJ START OPENING DAY?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
WAIT FOR POLL....

jwenger
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
How about a vote for "I don't know" too many factors involved.

streetkings01
05-16-2013, 03:15 PM
How about a vote for "I don't know" too many factors involved.Thats a cop out............vote or die!

CoolBreeze
05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I expect him to start. I believe he's a mature guy, and a natural leader. He expects to start, and I have to believe that the FO and coaches expect him to start as well.

ublinkwescore
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes, he will

BertSquirtgum
05-16-2013, 10:17 PM
I expect Kolb to win the competition.

SCBILLFAN1
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Tavaris Jackson will suprise everyone and win the job.

jwenger
05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Thats a cop out............vote or die!

Yo Street, its not a cop out its a fact. But if I have to vote I'd say YES. So I guess I won't have to die yet.

better days
05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I heard it said by too many people including Bills scouts that EJ is RAW not to believe that. I expect Kolb to start the season at QB.

justasportsfan
05-24-2013, 12:41 PM
NO. Especially not against the Pats.

I would however let him play a few snaps in the redzone once we have a 30 point lead against them in the 3rd qtr.

The Jokeman
05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
WAIT FOR POLL....

Yes, Opening day of 2014 but not his season's opener.

Meathead
05-24-2013, 09:51 PM
not a chance

midseason at the earliest

Homegrown
05-24-2013, 10:09 PM
If Kolb starts, I'm burning down the Bills Field House :rage:

NOT THE DUDE...
05-25-2013, 12:38 AM
ej3 baby!

Bert102176
05-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Should be a poll with a, ej Manue. B, kevin kolb. C, t-jax. D, tuel. and we should be able to picks the qb we think will start personally I think Kolb starts I don't wanna just throw EJ out there.

Raptor
05-25-2013, 08:05 AM
He'll be the starter before September is out

Thats a nice little theory everyone has about sitting him for a long time and developing him but that thats not todays NFL. You dont draft a QB in the first to sit him

better days
05-25-2013, 08:24 AM
He'll be the starter before September is out

Thats a nice little theory everyone has about sitting him for a long time and developing him but that thats not todays NFL. You dont draft a QB in the first to sit him

You do if that QB is RAW & you have a capable QB on the team.

gr8slayer
05-25-2013, 09:20 AM
I have high hopes for the guy, but I really hope and pray that they don't rush him into the starting job if he's not truly ready.

Raptor
05-25-2013, 03:23 PM
You do if that QB is RAW & you have a capable QB on the team.

sorry not todays NFL

sudzy
05-26-2013, 06:59 AM
I might feel different if we were not playing the Pats week one. After watching JP and Edwards get there confidence destroyed and now can't even hold a third string job. I feel they need to protect EJ's confidence. I like the WRs they brought in, I would have liked to spend more attention to the O-line. But, I have no interest in throwing him to the wolves week one.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-26-2013, 04:34 PM
I might feel different if we were not playing the Pats week one.
After watching JP and Edwards get there confidence destroyed and now can't even hold a third string job. I feel they need to protect EJ's confidence. I like the WRs they brought in, I would have liked to spend more attention to the O-line. But, I have no interest in throwing him to the wolves week one.

one of the biggest bs lines that spread in football talk is that some qbs would have been good if they didn't get thrown to the fire, or that they took to many hits, and got scared. no, in reality, they were just bad/scared from the get go, ( like gabbert). it's clear as day that gabbert is scared in the pocket. trent Edwards got worse because defenses figured out what he liked and then took that away. same for jp, same for Bledsoe to a lesser degree. this is why most coaches/scouts and qb say it takes 32 games before you really " know" if a qb will make it. once Rodgers made it through his second straight year with great wins/stats, you knew. it was empirical...

- - - Updated - - -

ej manuel will make mistakes, but it will be clear from the get go, even in preseason/early regular season to some small extent that he will be a franchise guy...

NOT THE DUDE...
05-26-2013, 04:35 PM
lions fans wanted the same thing with Stafford, to sit for a year behind culpepper... no, unless the guy cant take a snap, then you play him. ie, if its even close in camp, you start him

gr8slayer
05-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Stafford was a lot more NFL-ready. Not a good comparison in my mind.
lions fans wanted the same thing with Stafford, to sit for a year behind culpepper... no, unless the guy cant take a snap, then you play him. ie, if its even close in camp, you start him

NOT THE DUDE...
05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Stafford was a lot more NFL-ready. Not a good comparison in my mind.

I disagree.

Extremebillsfan247
05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I definitely think EJ has a shot at being opening day starter. But, his competition isn't going to make it easy for him, and if I were a betting man, I'd have a tough time not betting against it. Now, it's still early in the process, so anything can happen between now and the day Marrone is forced to make his decision. So, we will have to watch, and see where it goes. But for now, I'm not sure starting him day 1 against the Patriots is the smartest of moves for the development of EJ Manuel. But, that's my opinion.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-29-2013, 03:59 AM
I definitely think EJ has a shot at being opening day starter. But, his competition isn't going to make it easy for him, and if I were a betting man, I'd have a tough time not betting against it. Now, it's still early in the process, so anything can happen between now and the day Marrone is forced to make his decision. So, we will have to watch, and see where it goes. But for now, I'm not sure starting him day 1 against the Patriots is the smartest of moves for the development of EJ Manuel. But, that's my opinion.

Russell Wilson started right away as a question mark... so did matt ryan. but I generally don't have a big beef with this. but obviously kolb will have a short leash

MoormanRules8
05-29-2013, 08:09 AM
From all reports EJ looks every bit as raw as he was supposed to. He is inconsistent in accuracy but when he is on, he is lighting it up. I think they will use the rest of OTAs to get his footwork fixed which will ideally improve his accuracy. In TC is when the battle will really heat up. If he can be more consistent I think EJ will be the starter just by nature of where they drafted him and Marrone saying he believes in rookies starting right away. (He said this in the Season ticket holders conference call).

If EJ is still looking raw by the 3rd preseason game Kolb will get the nod, from all the reports he looks the most consistent thus far, and if that continues I don't think they will be able to let EJ take control starting Week 1. We will see, I hope EJ can beat out Kolb and be the guy. No shame in not starting right away though, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Colin Kapernick, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Matt Schaub to name a few all sat for at least part of their first season.

gr8slayer
05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
That's cool, but you're wrong. Either you're blind to the truth, or you haven't watched much college film of either.
I disagree.

gr8slayer
05-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Russell Wilson started right away as a question mark... so did matt ryan. but I generally don't have a big beef with this. but obviously kolb will have a short leash

Again, horrible comparisons. Russell Wilson has ice running through his veins, and nothing phases the guy. He was as NFL ready as both RGIII and Luck, he just wasn't 6'4". Matt Ryan is an even worse comparison. Where are you getting this stuff, did you watch any of these guys in college by chance? Out of desperation, Manuel may start on opening day, but the guy is certainly not NFL ready right out of the box.

gr8slayer
05-29-2013, 09:14 AM
For the record, I'm a huge fan of Manuel's and think that he has immense upside. The guy is smart as can be, he's got good feet (though he gets himself in trouble at times with them), he has the arm, has the release, proven leadership ability, experience, prototypical size, etc... but the guy is not ready to take on NFL defenses and the complex schemes. For the betterment of the future of the team, I really hope they wait until he's 100% ready to go.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Again, horrible comparisons. Russell Wilson has ice running through his veins, and nothing phases the guy. He was as NFL ready as both RGIII and Luck, he just wasn't 6'4". Matt Ryan is an even worse comparison. Where are you getting this stuff, did you watch any of these guys in college by chance? Out of desperation, Manuel may start on opening day, but the guy is certainly not NFL ready right out of the box.
ej manuel is more highly regarded than Wilson when Wilson came out

better days
05-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Only because of Wilsons lack of height. If he had been 6'3", Russell Wilson would have been the first pick in the draft. That said, EJ was by far the best QB in the Senior Bowl. I would have been happy with the Bills drafting him after that game. But hearing him speak before the draft, just made me want him more. And he has the BIGGEST hands of all the QBs drafted.

How can anyone not like this guy? But I still expect Kolb to start.

gr8slayer
05-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Strictly because of height. If he's 6'4", he's a first round pick. You're honestly not doing yourself any favors by comparing Manuel to guys like Wilson, Ryan, or Stafford.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
So according to Chris Brown, EJ is not even getting QB reps when they're really pushing down all the installs. Just to show you what the coaches think of him and what kind of small playbook EJ would have. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/OTA-Practice-Notes---Day-8/e8784695-fbb1-4343-bfa6-d6b52a0c2b8c

Extremebillsfan247
05-30-2013, 04:17 AM
You have to begin wondering though, why EJ isn't getting a lot of reps in OTA's. The majority of reps have been about an even split between Kolb, and Jackson. Of course, it doesn't mean much. But, I keep hearing Manuel is struggling a little. I'm not ready to put the 2 together just yet. But, it makes me want to reserve judgement until the pads are on in training camp. That's when we will know if he can handle it, or needs more time. JMO

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 06:16 AM
You have to begin wondering though, why EJ isn't getting a lot of reps in OTA's. The majority of reps have been about an even split between Kolb, and Jackson. Of course, it doesn't mean much. But, I keep hearing Manuel is struggling a little. I'm not ready to put the 2 together just yet. But, it makes me want to reserve judgement until the pads are on in training camp. That's when we will know if he can handle it, or needs more time. JMO

lets see what happens during tc... reps will increase in june

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
I think ej can start, love him as a talent. but its fair to say he is raw. but lets not lie to ourselves and say kolb sucks, because he doesn't, and he has shown major talent.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 06:19 AM
maybe ej will sit like mcnair did for a couple years, idk. much of that depends on kolb

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 06:20 AM
either way, kolb is better than fitz. yeah hell take a few more sacks, but his arm talent and skill set are " franchise caliber"... he just hasn't put it all together yet, so its still just flashes as of now... so its fair to say with the added talent at wr, graham ready to breakout in year two, and having a better qb, we should be much better. plus pettine. I can see 9-10 wins with some luck

X-Era
05-30-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm saying no.

I don't think it will be due to anything skill wise or ability wise. I think Marrone will want the guy he feels most comfortable with... The guy he can most count on to do his job and not lose games. Experience would be huge in that situation.

But what I think will happen is that Kolb/T-Jax will quickly show their limitations and that we may not produce the wins the way Marrone would have thought we would. At that point he may look at it like EJ has better upside so it makes more sense to just go with him in a season where we are developing.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 06:27 AM
I'm saying no.

I don't think it will be due to anything skill wise or ability wise. I think Marrone will want the guy he feels most comfortable with... The guy he can most count on to do his job and not lose games. Experience would be huge in that situation.

But what I think will happen is that Kolb/T-Jax will quickly show their limitations and that we may not produce the wins the way Marrone would have thought we would. At that point he may look at it like EJ has better upside so it makes more sense to just go with him in a season where we are developing.

I know you are not saying this, but jesus Christ I hope we don't have another losing season... I mean, we should be able to get to 8-9 wins if we are doing it right... I just don't like that mindset, ej or not

- - - Updated - - -

****ing team and nix have had plenty of time to " develop" etc

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 06:28 AM
the talent is there, and kolb is better than fitz. no excuses. the talent is there to win 9 games, period

ghz in pittsburgh
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm saying no.

I actually hold out hope for a little surprise on Kolb. He has injury issues so I don't expect a great deal of hope. Nonetheless, he's walking into a more or less better scenario than Arizona.

1) The expectations are low. I don't care what you say, veteran or not. For what Arizona gave up to get him, there is a lot of pressure on his shoulder. None here in Buffalo.
2) From what I hear, the system Marrone installs might be perfect for him. His success in Phily under Reid was in a similar WCO and right now, I think Marrone is pushing for a system even closer to what he did in college. The play action offense in Arizona was just a misfit despite the presence of Fitzgerald.
3) Marrone is a former O-Lineman and coached O-Line in NFL. I'm going to put my trust in (blindly) that he knows the importance of O-Line so Kolb may have the best line in front of him his whole NFL career. He also has arguably the best running back(s) he ever had in his NFL career.

I don't expect a Pennington kind of revival in Miami, but I do expect him to match Fitz's success in Buffalo.

As for EJ, I 'd be very cautious with his development. Polished college QBs like Manning struggled in their 1st year. Luck, RGIII, Wilson are all very polished guys compared to EJ. I'd take the safe approach and sit him for a year, much like Rogers, Palmer did. If he's smart enough, he should force coaches' hand instead of the other way around (aka Losman's approach). Let's face it, the kid hasn't had nothing but success in his career so far. He's going to have failures in in NFL, particularly starting first year as a raw type of player. Pressures, media will be singing bust songs, and the most important part, the fellow players confidence is what kills a young guy's confidence. Going through a year on the sideline witnessing the up and down Kolb/Jackson going through inevitably this year can do wonders to prepare hiim mentally, let alone seeing what the defenses are defending Marrone's offense in game situations.