PDA

View Full Version : What about the Bills Defense? Will they be better in 2013?

blackonyx89
05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
There has really been a lot of talk about the Bills no huddle speed type offense and the acquistions of young WRs the Bills pick up in the draft to help out Stevie J. and of course the
Bill's future QB EJ Manuel. My concern is the Defense, not really a lot of talk about that and I hope that the Bills D will be a vastly improve one this year. Doesn't mean a hill of beans
if you have a great offense and have a swiss cheese defense. Just wanna know what you think about this dilemma?

Generalissimus Gibby
05-19-2013, 02:02 PM
There has really been a lot of talk about the Bills no huddle speed type offense and the acquistions of young WRs the Bills pick up in the draft to help out Stevie J. and of course the
Bill's future QB EJ Manuel. My concern is the Defense, not really a lot of talk about that and I hope that the Bills D will be a vastly improve one this year. Doesn't mean a hill of beans
if you have a great offense and have a swiss cheese defense. Just wanna know what you think about this dilemma?

I actually am one of the few who don't think that talent --or lack thereof -- was as big a problem last year as scheming and coaching. True, coasty is correct in that we way overpaid for Williams but in a good defensive scheme he probably is in more of a position to make the occassional play. Same for Dareus and Kyle. Is lack of overall talent a concern? Absolutely, but so is misuse of talent. When everyone in the world knows exactly what your D is going to do after watching no more than four games worth of film then unless you have OCs who are industrial strength stupid its going to be a long afternoon for your D.

Don't Panic
05-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah... I see a big jump in performance simply by changing coordinators. Pettine will get the most of the D or he'll put guys in there who are willing to play at a level he demands. I still see some weaknesses but all in all it should be a vastly improved unit overall.

Novacane
05-19-2013, 10:53 PM
They were so bad it will be hard not to improve.

JoeMama
05-19-2013, 11:09 PM
We need a legit MLB.

That's the glue that holds it all together.

But I do agree scheme was the death knell for our D in 2012. I feel like even I could have out-coached Wanny, despite knowing next to nothing about Xs and Os. I mean, how do you screw up a D with guys like Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams, Jairus Byrd, and Stephon Gilmore on the roster?

Come on!

I'm not saying it's an A list, but it's serviceable.

And we can't be possibly worse than last year.

I'm willing to give this offseason an A+ solely for shipping Kelvin Sheppard's sorry ass to NOT BUFFALO.

The future is bright. Now.

TigerJ
05-19-2013, 11:10 PM
All we really know is that the defense will be different: different base alignment, different defensive philosophy, a fair number of different players. It's so different, in fact, that there's really no comparisons that can be made. They've started from scratch and are developing a brand new defense. How good it will be depends on the talent leve, on Mike Pettine's ability to install things quickly and get the defensive players on board, and getting them to know it well enough that they are comfortable and don't have to think about what to do next.

We should learn fairly early whether or not the transition is going to be smooth. If they don't get it quickly, look for Tom Brady to have a big day against the Bills.

Spiderweb
05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
They were so bad it will be hard not to improve.

I have been saying the same thing for the past 3-4 years, but the Bills just continued to get worse none the less. Here's to finally breaking that trend.

swiper
05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
I actually am one of the few who don't think that talent --or lack thereof -- was as big a problem last year as scheming and coaching. True, coasty is correct in that we way overpaid for Williams but in a good defensive scheme he probably is in more of a position to make the occassional play. Same for Dareus and Kyle. Is lack of overall talent a concern? Absolutely, but so is misuse of talent. When everyone in the world knows exactly what your D is going to do after watching no more than four games worth of film then unless you have OCs who are industrial strength stupid its going to be a long afternoon for your D.

How many Wiliams's do they have on the team exactly?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-22-2013, 01:56 PM

We could be starting 4, just on D.

Mario, Aaron, Kyle, and Duke

Generalissimus Gibby
05-24-2013, 02:15 AM

You are a Bills Fan right? Well you should be happy to know that Russ Brandon takes this being the Buffalo Bills literally as in his mind if Bill is short for William then Bills is short for Williams. Its his PR dream to have a roster of 53 guys named Williams

Extremebillsfan247
05-24-2013, 04:08 AM
It will depend on a few things like how long it will take for the players to adapt to Pettine's defensive system. Does he have the right players? this will be a crucial question that can only be answered once games are live. More important, will his scheme work? We have no idea whether that Jets defense was run by him, or Rex Ryan who may have used him in a similar fashion to the way Gailey used Modkins. We will find the answer to that soon enough.

We know how bad this defense has been over the past 2 years. I think it has potential to be better, but only time will tell is the only true answer here in my opinion. There are so many questions to be asked yet as far as our defense is concerned. Long story short, I have no idea. lol

The Jokeman
05-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Mario, Aaron, Kyle, and Duke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y Whoops wrong sport ;)

Homegrown
05-24-2013, 09:54 PM

Mario, Aaron, Kyle, and Duke Band of Brothers?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
having pettine and Mario/anderon/hughes along with dareus/kyle/Carrington should cause major major problems. at least i hope so

swiper
05-25-2013, 06:10 AM
I think the players haven't changed too much on defense. If there is improvement it will be because Pettine is in and Wannstedt is out.