X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Manuel: Bills offense easier to learn than FSU's

Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel said Sunday in a radio interview from the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles that he is quickly picking up the team's offense, which he said is less complex than the system he used at Florida State.

Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel said Sunday in a radio interview from the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles that he is quickly picking up the team's offense, which he said is less complex than the system he used at Florida State.
    "The funny thing is it's easier to learn than the offense I had at Florida State," he told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It's a true West Coast-type progression offense. That's really what I wanted when I was coming through the pre-draft process. I wanted something that I could just go in and say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, check it down and run it. That's it, it's that simple. I love it."
    He said he spent extensive time during the Bills' rookie minicamp and organized team activities working with offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.
    "I've done great. The learning curve for me is a lot shorter simply because of what I had at Florida State. [The Seminoles' offense is] more complex and a little bit harder to catch on and learn. This offense is very simple. I've done a great job with it," he said in the interview.
    It's great that he's picking it up quickly, but I hope it's not too simple.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • Syderick
    • Apr 2006

Re: Manuel: Bills offense easier to learn than FSU's

Maybe they're making it simple for him to grasp, so they're not overwhelming him.
    3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Raptor
      • Jan 2009

Great, so he thought a one read and go offense at FSU was difficult and the Bills feel they had to dumb it down even more for him. Either that or he's not smart enough to know its more complicated

I havent felt more sure that a QB is going to be a bust since we drafted Losman

Comment

• Edward Robinson
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
        Great, so he thought a one read and go offense at FSU was difficult and the Bills feel they had to dumb it down even more for him. Either that or he's not smart enough to know its more complicated

Sometimes simple is better. From what I remember seeing and hearing the Bills 90 KGUN offense was simple.

Comment

• Homegrown
          Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
          • Jul 2008

Of course its easier .... FSU Offense > Orange Offense

Comment

• gonzo1105
            • Jul 2002

He might be a bust but Florida States offense is far from a one read and go offense. Its probably one of the most complicated systems in college football. Its really a multiple read, deep crossing system with multiple protections. Stop listening to the talking heads cause most of the time they dont know what they are talking about. Florida State's skills players are not that great and their offensive line wasn't good at all this past year. Fisher runs a real NFL old school offensive set that puts a lot of pressure on the quarterback. He may have been a half read QB because the offensive line couldn't protect him and it was one two and go because he was going to get crushed. I'm a Florida State fan and after watching Fisher's offenses they are far far from simple.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              I hope this coaching staff is not completely demoralized when they are taught the harsh lesson that this is the NFL and not a 2nd rate college conference.

Another reason why I prefer that Kolb or Jackson get killed early in the season rather than Manuel.

I just hope the coaching staff can adjust as the season goes on.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

FSU never ran a one read and go offense, in fact Fisher's offense has been called one of the most complicated of any NCAA program.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

As long as Manuel doesn't get colored wrist bands like Mark Sanchez did.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I LOVE ZOLOFT ! That's how I'm reading this.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      FSU never ran a one read and go offense, in fact Fisher's offense has been called one of the most complicated of any NCAA program.
                      Which begs the question: was it wise to run that without the proper talent or did the talent suffer because of the complexity?

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

The FSU playbook should be more difficult to grasp for an 18 year old coming out of high school than an NFL offense should be for a 22 year old coming out of a university.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                          Which begs the question: was it wise to run that without the proper talent or did the talent suffer because of the complexity?
                          Both, Fisher has had to scale back his playbook due to the players there but its still asking a lot of the QB and WR's in terms of defensive recognition, routes, and timing. Most offenses will use some kind of hand signal or check to make sure the QB and WR are on the same page and I never saw that at FSU.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...-state-offense

I promise you this is a good thing.

Jimbo Fisher gets too cute with it. He holds players back from reaching their true potential.

He's blessed with some of the finest, pro-level talent (FSU led the way with 11 draftees this season) yet all he does it squander it.

I believe Doug Marrone is a smarter man than Jimbo Fisher and I believe EJ Manuel deserves a fair shake under a coach that doesn't suffer from "smartest guy in the room" syndrome and buys into bull**** quackery when it comes to X's and O's.
                            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Gibby
                              Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                              • Jun 2006

He could flop to be sure, but didn't Cam Newton have a similar knock against him? I mean didn't a lot of people say Newton was a total arse head who was so stupid he couldn't fart and chew gum at the same time? He's done well, at least statistically speaking, during his first two years. I'm not saying EJ is Newton, but I for one am happy that at least so far EJ feels confident that he has a grip on the offense. Its really the best way for a first year coach to do things really. Have a limited play selection, but be damn sure you run those few plays perfectly and without penalty or mistake. I still think this team is going to finish surprisingly well this year and think they wind up with somewhere between 4 and eight wins. Of course, I also don't really expect EJ to be seeing a lot of time this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X