PDA

View Full Version : Draft in May? That would suck!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/20/nfl-moving-season-up/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

clumping platelets
05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Draft should be earlier in April

Skooby
05-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Make it July so the teams can have plenty of time for picnics together.

BLeonard
05-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Well, if Marrone and company are as good as some on this board seem to think they will be, the Bills will be playing in January and February, meaning the Draft will be about the same amount of time from the end of the season as it is currently.

-Bill

X-Era
05-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Yeah, that would suck.

Especially since it's being argued that it will help free agents land teams. Signings were minimized this year so now it can be longer and even more drawn out?

Not a fan of this move.

The only upside is that the league year and free agency would start before the Combine. That would mean mid to late February.

The upside would be less time without something meaningful happening in the NFL.

If the draft is mid-May, the dust won't settle until late May and then TC starts end of July.

That leaves us with only two months where there isn't anything going on. And if you follow OTA's it's more like only a month to a month and a half.

stuckincincy
05-21-2013, 06:05 AM
..."Pushing the draft back to May is something Breer reported two months ago. But it's probably happening in 2014 because of a scheduling conflict. The Radio City Rockettes show, "The Spring Spectacular," is scheduled to be held at Radio City Music Hall in late April, when the draft usually is held.

"We're actually getting bumped by the Easter Bunny. They're going to have an Easter show. We'll be prepared for that," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last month on "The Rich Eisen Podcast.":...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204701/article/nfl-union-working-on-deal-to-move-2014-draft-to-may

DraftBoy
05-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Sounds good to me.

With more and more teams looking both at lower level prospects and even internationally when it comes to Free Agency this will give teams more time to do their due diligence.

MidnightVoice
05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/218950-NFL-working-on-deal-to-move-2014-NFL-Draft-to-May

Might want to mwerge threads :D

X-Era
05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Sounds good to me.

With more and more teams looking both at lower level prospects and even internationally when it comes to Free Agency this will give teams more time to do their due diligence.
As opposed to what the Scouts do the rest of the year? Not being cute. But, this is already an almost year round job for the scouts. How does adding a month change anything? It just means one less month to prepare for next years draft... or simply shifts the yearly process by one month.

DraftBoy
05-21-2013, 05:08 PM
As opposed to what the Scouts do the rest of the year? Not being cute. But, this is already an almost year round job for the scouts. How does adding a month change anything? It just means one less month to prepare for next years draft... or simply shifts the yearly process by one month.

2014 scouting won't ramp up till fall practices start so it's not like there isn't time in between April and August.

BertSquirtgum
05-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Holding the draft in May would be awful.

THATHURMANATOR
05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Why does it matter when the draft is?

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares? It will be the same for everyone. Not like there will be competitive advantage.

mrbojanglezs
05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
i prefer to get the playbook in the hands of the rookies as soon as possible

X-Era
05-21-2013, 08:35 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares? It will be the same for everyone. Not like there will be competitive advantage.
Team to team it doesn't. And since scouting happens almost year round changing the date doesn't make any real difference.

If scouts start two weeks after May 27th preparing for a May draft the following year is it any different than starting two weeks after April 27th for an April draft? It's still 12 months minus two weeks of preparation for a draft. That's the point. Truth is they look at prospects throughout their college careers but still you get the point... Preparations for next years draft start two weeks after the draft so it doesn't really matter when the draft is held.

And no, I don't know that scouts get a two week break after the draft. I think I've heard it's roughly that but I don't know for sure. Point is that whatever it is it doesn't matter what time of the year it is.

BertSquirtgum
05-21-2013, 08:51 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I care. Waiting another month for the draft will be awful. That's another whole month I have to listen to the ******s talk about the prospects. While the rest of the ******s continue making their dumb ass mock drafts.

don137
05-22-2013, 04:32 AM
I don't like it at all. The longer the rookies have to learn the playbook and get acclimated to their new team the better.

Night Train
05-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Sounds good to me.

Plus many guys currently miss the rookie OTA's for exams (Woods at USC).

Don't give me that angle that Rookies get further behind with a May draft. Teams have constant OTA's and organized activities before camp even starts. They are still miles ahead of rookies from just a few years ago.

We are just impatient by nature and want everything ASAP.

DraftBoy
05-22-2013, 06:07 AM
I think people are getting confused on some things, learning the playbook is not one of the larger challenges that comes with going into the NFL. Most collegiate teams run complex offensive systems even if they run a spread or shotgun based system. Most players are used to what they will be asked to do. What makes the learning curve so steep is adjusting to the speed, recognizing what you're seeing, and getting your instincts to a point where you know what's happening before it happens. A guy like EJ Manuel isn't going to be hurt by waiting another two weeks to get drafted. If he's going to succeed in the NFL its because he can take the playbook and apply it on the field.

Some of the games worst QB's were amazing on the white board, could diagram plays be memory and tell you what the reads were in the situation. Issue is when they got on the field the white board was long gone and shortly there after so was there career. OTA's and minicamps are great to give guys a basic understanding of scheme, positional fits, and to build some friendships but the real work starts in TC when they start hitting.

TedMock
05-22-2013, 09:04 AM
For the NFL, moving the draft to mid-May makes sense. They want fans egaged 12 months a year. They're going to televise the super regional combine next year, and posssibly the regionals. The league year ends with the Superbowl in February. Now, you'll have the regional combines in March, the NFL combine in April and the draft in May. Rookie, vets, OTA's, and, boom, we're in June starting camp and beginning the year. Also, May is ratings sweeps month. I cannot imagine for the life of me that the NFL wouldn't love to be part of that.

DraftBoy
05-22-2013, 09:44 AM
For the NFL, moving the draft to mid-May makes sense. They want fans egaged 12 months a year. They're going to televise the super regional combine next year, and posssibly the regionals. The league year ends with the Superbowl in February. Now, you'll have the regional combines in March, the NFL combine in April and the draft in May. Rookie, vets, OTA's, and, boom, we're in June starting camp and beginning the year. Also, May is ratings sweeps month. I cannot imagine for the life of me that the NFL wouldn't love to be part of that.

And why every network will hate in on Thursday night which is traditionally a HUGE night. First round on ESPN did a 4.1 this year. That beats out almost every baseball post season game (sans World Series) and the entire Hockey playoffs. That's not a shot at either sport but just speaks to the height the draft has reached in terms of TV.

TedMock
05-22-2013, 10:24 AM
And why every network will hate in on Thursday night which is traditionally a HUGE night. First round on ESPN did a 4.1 this year. That beats out almost every baseball post season game (sans World Series) and the entire Hockey playoffs. That's not a shot at either sport but just speaks to the height the draft has reached in terms of TV.

Thanks to TiVo, you won't have to miss your stories! haha.

better days
05-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, I heard on Sirius this morning, it is a done deal the next draft will be in MAY of next year. This is ALL ABOUT TV IMO.

trapezeus
05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
this just seems like a pissing battle between radio city and the NFL. While it would be cool as hell to have the draft move around like the NHL and have the NFL kind of care that they like buffalo as a partner, there is no way the NFL will remove this unless it takes some other city and their facilities and bends them over a barrell to get the town to pay for most of the expenses.

I'm sure radio city has noted that the lines are longer than every before (even on day 3 of the draft). They go down 50th St and down to 5th Ave.I'm sure radio city put this little "rockettes" show as a internal place marker to make the NFL worry they can't get their date. The NFL will say "go on with your show" we'll go elsewhere with our fans.

Personally, for a legendary space, it is a lot of foottraffick and i wouldn't be surprised if radio city just thinks its a big pain and not worth the revenue from the wear and tear for those 3 days.

The NFL did this once before with them and went to the javits center, i think. and that sucked for everyone involved.

i believe the draft will be held in april like it always has when all the posturing is completed.

Ed
05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Personally, it would make more sense to me to have the draft earlier and free agency after. That way teams can just focus more on drafting the best players and then using free agency to fill whatever holes and needs they have. Instead of having their hand forced at times to draft for need. Plus vet free agents would be able to put themselves in better situations knowing what teams have already drafted.

DraftBoy
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, I heard on Sirius this morning, it is a done deal the next draft will be in MAY of next year. This is ALL ABOUT TV IMO.

Next year is actually about Easter and Radio City being booked. Beyond that its about TV.

BillsFever21
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
When you're used to it being in April of course the thought of it being another month later sucks. Eventually you will get used to it and it won't matter anymore. I'd still rather have it stay where it's at though.

The Jokeman
05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Seriously we're talking what three more weeks? I think it be great as not only can you scout longer but also gives team more time to mull over and maybe sign a RFA based on current CBA rules.

X-Era
05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Personally, it would make more sense to me to have the draft earlier and free agency after. That way teams can just focus more on drafting the best players and then using free agency to fill whatever holes and needs they have. Instead of having their hand forced at times to draft for need. Plus vet free agents would be able to put themselves in better situations knowing what teams have already drafted.
The players would never go for that.

Teams come out of the season with some big needs and (some) are willing to pay to fill the big needs. If the draft came first, teams could convince themselves they landed the the guy they need in the draft and would then be willing to spend less in FA.

better days
05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Next year is actually about Easter and Radio City being booked. Beyond that its about TV.

It is ALL about TV period. I believe that the NFL gave radio City a heads up they were moving to May so Radio City got something else to fill that date. Otherwise, WHY would they book when they knew the draft has aways taken place on those dates?

alohabillsfan
05-24-2013, 01:21 AM
LMAO! Yes there is no other venue that could host the NFL draft in NYC!, Clowns...
Now, ill have to listen to draft crap another 3 weeks and look at more stupid mocks... :(

DraftBoy
05-24-2013, 06:17 AM
It is ALL about TV period. I believe that the NFL gave radio City a heads up they were moving to May so Radio City got something else to fill that date. Otherwise, WHY would they book when they knew the draft has aways taken place on those dates?

Are you really citing some great conspiracy theory here?

better days
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Are you really citing some great conspiracy theory here?

Yes. And Conspiracys DO happen. The way Goodell got rid of the evidence against the Pats* cheating was definately a conspiracy.

Ed
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
The players would never go for that.

Teams come out of the season with some big needs and (some) are willing to pay to fill the big needs. If the draft came first, teams could convince themselves they landed the the guy they need in the draft and would then be willing to spend less in FA.
I don't know how much say the players would really have, but it could work in their favor too. If you have the draft first teams are still going to have needs after and with free agency being the only option left, free agents could have more leverage. Plus for the middle tier guys they would have a better idea of where they would have the best chance to start or win a job. And teams have to spend a certain amount each year anyway now, so it's not like they can be cheap and just go with rookies, and leave a bunch of unused cap space.

There are obviously pros and cons either way, but I just think from the teams perspective it might make more sense to have the draft first. Use the draft to build your foundation and free agency to address needs.

LtFinFan66
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/20/nfl-moving-season-up/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihpit was almost in May this year

MoormanRules8
05-29-2013, 10:22 AM
The NFL ruined the draft when they moved it from Saturday and Sunday to Thursday through Saturday. My day of getting up Saturday, golfing with some buddies, coming home and throwing a blow out tailgate party for the draft was awesome. Now it sucks...

Moving it from end of April to May doesn't matter to me that much. It is 2 weeks less of time for Rookies to get aclimated, but it also avoids the graduation rule for rookies to attend OTAs, so they can be with the coaches for a longer period of time.

I get it though, it is good for the NFL to make money:

January - Playoffs
February - SB
March - Free Agency / Combine (They want to move this to April)
April - Nothing but they want the Combine here
May - Draft
June - OTAs
July - TC
August - TC/Preseason
September - December - Regular Season Football

don137
05-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Ron Rivera the coach of the Panthers said in an article this weekend that he is not a fan of it. He said moving the dates will cause rookie camps to be canceled and put rookies behind as a result.