PDA

View Full Version : the 1990 buffalo bills...

NOT THE DUDE...
05-21-2013, 02:04 AM
for older bills fans over 35ish, when did you realize we were going to be great that year? favorite aspect of the offense? underrated player or part of the 1990 team? key game that year? what was your feeling when Kelly was hurt? and finally any secondary story related to the 1990 season, e.g. I was at the bar after the game, got in a fight, met a player that year, banged some hot chick, etc...

Don't Panic
05-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Such innocence and hope in those days. We were already great, having played in three playoff games in the two years past and showing progress every year. Back then, it was Ronnie Harmon who was the goat, not Scott Norwood (or the refs in Tennessee... or Gary Bettman for that matter). I just remember being in high school and how everyone had gotten firmly on the bandwagon that year, if they hadn't already. That might just be the year that the city fell permanently in love with the Bills... moms, grandmas, 4 year old girls... the whole community. It was something. When your next door neighbor's great aunt knows more about football than the average 30 year old guy in a typical NFL town you know you're in the middle of something special. And even after the four losses to come, that something special has not died. The Bills community is wound tighter than just about any sports community I've ever seen in the four states I've lived and the many sports towns I've visited... and without nearly as much reason as those other places. To get that 1990 feeling back again... that would be unreal.

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Key game that year was the the comeback game against Denver in week 4. We scored 21 points in under a minute and a half in the 4th quarter. Key play. Nate Odomes blocks a field goal try and Biscuit picks it up and goes something like 80 yards for the score.

I knew we were on our way then and we should have won the Super Bowl. If we would have played the Giants 10 times we would have beat them 9. Belichick was the reason, he designed the perfect defense to slow down the K-Gun. He used the same one to beat the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf".

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
for older bills fans over 35ish, when did you realize we were going to be great that year? favorite aspect of the offense? underrated player or part of the 1990 team? key game that year? what was your feeling when Kelly was hurt? and finally any secondary story related to the 1990 season, e.g. I was at the bar after the game, got in a fight, met a player that year, banged some hot chick, etc...HaHa. Sure. You probably weren't even alive.

RedEyE
05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Key game that year was the the comeback game against Denver in week 4. We scored 21 points in under a minute and a half in the 4th quarter. Key play. Nate Odomes blocks a field goal try and Biscuit picks it up and goes something like 80 yards for the score.

This^

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills. I will always remember this game as what looked like the game was in the bag for Denver turned out to be the game that clicked on all cylinders for the Bills.

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 07:06 AM
This^

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills. I will always remember this game as what looked like the game was in the bag for Denver turned out to be the game that clicked on all cylinders for the Bills.They did the same thing against Oakland the next week. Down something like 28-14 in the second half. They stormed back to win. Odomes again made a big play, ripping the ball out of Willie Gault's hands on a quick out and took it back for the TD.

GreedoII
05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
The Miami game at home when they clinched division and home field with Reich at the helm was the big game and sealed the deal for me. A big loss in that game hurt them down the stretch I feel. Losing Beebe in that game. It hurt their long passing game a bit. Al Edwards was not good enough to compensate. So many great games that year: The Philly game when they unleashed the no huddle and throttled them in the 1st half. It was 24-0 before you can take your 1st piss. It was crazy. The Raider game with the Tasker blocked punt…awesome….42-0 drubbing of the Browns…the Giant victory in the rain….the year of my life to be a Bills fan...

ublinkwescore
05-21-2013, 07:50 AM
That Denver game was the game where I became a bills fan - it was televised out here in central california - at least the part where bruce and Leon Seals were terrorising Elway (or EllieMay as Browns fans call him) and where we scored 3 tds in a buck 17

- - - Updated - - -

That Denver game was the game where I became a bills fan - it was televised out here in central california - at least the part where bruce and Leon Seals were terrorising Elway (or EllieMay as Browns fans call him) and where we scored 3 tds in a buck 17

ublinkwescore
05-21-2013, 07:52 AM
BTW, I am only 33

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I am only 33

better days
05-21-2013, 09:14 AM
BTW, I am only 33

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I am only 33

ONLY 33. Dude, to a teen that is ANCIENT.

I remember back LONG AGO when I was a teen, there was a slogen................Don't trust anyone over 30.

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 09:30 AM
ONLY 33. Dude, to a teen that is ANCIENT.

I remember back LONG AGO when I was a teen, there was a slogen................Don't trust anyone over 30.What is it now? Don't trust anyone under 30?:D

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 09:37 AM

- - - Updated - - -

That Denver game was the game where I became a bills fan - it was televised out here in central california - at least the part where bruce and Leon Seals were terrorising Elway (or EllieMay as Browns fans call him) and where we scored 3 tds in a buck 17Funny thing about that game.

I was back in Buffalo for the week and my sister rented a big screen TV and had a party in her garage for the game. When we were down, some of the guys were saying "Kelly Sucks" and "the Bills' suck". I kept telling them there's plenty of time left and don't give up. It came from years of watching Roger Staubach because the Cowboys were always the second game on Sundays in the '70's. I said the same thing in'93 when all looked hopeless against the Oilers. Never give up and always stay positive.

I remember Daryl Talley saying, when we lost, "We didn't really lose, we just ran out of time"

gebobs
05-21-2013, 09:52 AM
HaHa. Sure. You probably weren't even alive.
While I think NTF is somewhat annoying and reminds me of a similar fellow on The Range (name escapes me), I'm pretty sure he's asking for reminiscences, not giving them.

gebobs
05-21-2013, 09:57 AM
I remember Daryl Talley saying, when we lost, "We didn't really lose, we just ran out of time"
Quoting Lombardi is always a good idea.

My favorite: "If you're not fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired with enthusiasm." As a former coach, parents would ask what do we do to motivate players. We prepare them for the game. We make them confident in every nuance that they will be better than the other team. After that, motivation comes from within.

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
While I think NTF is somewhat annoying and reminds me of a similar fellow on The Range (name escapes me), I'm pretty sure he's asking for reminiscences, not giving them.NWF at the Range. You're right, I missed the e.g. part, but the guy is a bull****ter regardless.

gebobs
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
NWF at the Range. You're right, I missed the e.g. part, but the guy is a bull****ter regardless.
Ahhhhh memories.

Ingtar33
05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
for older bills fans over 35ish, when did you realize we were going to be great that year? favorite aspect of the offense? underrated player or part of the 1990 team? key game that year? what was your feeling when Kelly was hurt? and finally any secondary story related to the 1990 season, e.g. I was at the bar after the game, got in a fight, met a player that year, banged some hot chick, etc...

its sad that you can say that and it will be true.

Anyway, we knew they would be special in 1988. that was the year they made it to the afc championship game, and went 12-4. i am pretty sure we knew they'd be special halfway through the season when they won the afce by like week 12. That was one of the best defenses i've ever seen the bills field.

gebobs
05-21-2013, 10:36 AM
its sad that you can say that and it will be true.

Anyway, we knew they would be special in 1988. that was the year they made it to the afc championship game, and went 12-4. i am pretty sure we knew they'd be special halfway through the season when they won the afce by like week 12. That was one of the best defenses i've ever seen the bills field.
Man for man, certainly one of the great defenses of all time. Horribly coached by Walt Corey though.

Jeff1220
05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
I just remember being in high school and how everyone had gotten firmly on the bandwagon that year, if they hadn't already. That might just be the year that the city fell permanently in love with the Bills... moms, grandmas, 4 year old girls... the whole community. It was something. When your next door neighbor's great aunt knows more about football than the average 30 year old guy in a typical NFL town you know you're in the middle of something special.

I grew up in Rome with a Giants fan for father. Despite that, I became a Bills fan very when I was like 4 or 5 (during the Fergy/Knox years). All of my friends in Rome were Giants, Cowboys, and Steelers fans. It was like being a fan in another state. Once 1989, 90, etc, rolled around, all of those kids (now in high school) were suddenly Bills fans. It was really weird to me. All of a sudden I had friends to watch and go to Bills games, with and they'd root for the team too. I wonder how many of them have since gone back to being Steelers and Cowboys fans.

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Man for man, certainly one of the great defenses of all time. Horribly coached by Walt Corey though.I have always thought it was a mistake to let Fred Smerlas go and replace him with Jeff Wright. We lost some strength in the middle. IMO, the Bills' thinking was Fred was one of the old leaders from the Knox era and they wanted the younger guys to step up.

pmoon6
05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Man for man, certainly one of the great defenses of all time. Horribly coached by Walt Corey though.Imagine Belichick or Buddy Ryan coaching those players.

gebobs
05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Imagine Belichick or Buddy Ryan coaching those players.
Or even Dick Jauron. ;-) Walt Corey was awful.

DynaPaul
05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
If we would have played the Giants 10 times we would have beat them 9. Belichick was the reason, he designed the perfect defense to slow down the K-Gun. He used the same one to beat the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf".

I think Belichick still has some old Beta tapes of the Bills' practice walkthroughs somewhere in his archives.

Fatwhite02
05-21-2013, 01:24 PM
I grew up in Colorado. My old man moved from Buffalo to Colorado before I was born. We used to get back to Buffalos every year. I remember my first NFL game being against the Patriots in the late 80s. But my most vivid memory was being 7 and going to the 1990 AFC Championship game against the Raiders. It's the most fun I've ever had at a game. I, at 7, snuck enough booze in to kill an elephant for my dad and his friends. It was amazing. I thought every year would be like that. Unfortunately I continue to fly the Bills flag here in Colorado. I also hope Peyton Manning's head falls off this year. I hate the Broncos more than any other team.

bleve
05-21-2013, 01:30 PM
I have always thought it was a mistake to let Fred Smerlas go and replace him with Jeff Wright. We lost some strength in the middle. IMO, the Bills' thinking was Fred was one of the old leaders from the Knox era and they wanted the younger guys to step up.

We very well may have beaten the Giants in the first SB if Freddie was still in there.

stuckincincy
05-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I also hope Peyton Manning's head falls off this year.

That's beautiful in its' simplicity. Well done. :kid:

k-oneputt
05-21-2013, 02:41 PM
We very well may have beaten the Giants in the first SB if Freddie was still in there. Or if Ted Washington came along a few years earlier.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
We very well may have beaten the Giants in the first SB if Freddie was still in there.

Or if we ran the ball more. Or if we could tackle Mark Ingram. Or if Hostetler didn't hold on to the ball.

The last buffalo fan
05-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Imagine Belichick or Buddy Ryan coaching those players.

Or Dave Whandsnohead!

Ginger Vitis
05-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Andre Reed dropped 2 catchable balls in the 1st half of Super Bowl 25 that were momentum killers

GreedoII
05-22-2013, 07:32 AM

Smerlas was past his prime...

pmoon6
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Or if we ran the ball more. Or if we could tackle Mark Ingram. Or if Hostetler didn't hold on to the ball.Daryl Talley actually took blame for the loss because of the Ingram play when people were jumping Norwood's ****.

The truth is with a game that close, you can look in hindsight and point to numerous plays. That is the case with a lot of games. They turn on three or four plays.

pmoon6
05-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Smerlas was past his prime......and Jeff Wright was undersized for the NT position and why teams were able to run on us.

k-oneputt
05-22-2013, 07:41 AM
I think the Ingram play was the single most important play that turned that game.

But there were many. How the heck does Hostetler hang on to that ball ?????

NOT THE DUDE...
05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
...and Jeff Wright was undersized for the NT position and why teams were able to run on us.

not for 1990

TedMock
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
not for 1990

Yes and no. Size-wise, they were similar. Wright was 6'2, 274. Smerlas was 6'3, 277. Stylistically, they were worlds a part. Smerlas was a traditional anchor NT. He had a year in the early 80's with 6 sacks, but most years he never had more than 2. Smerlas was very strong and was a stud at controlling two gaps. He may not penetrate, but he had a hold of three interior OL and you were not running inside on him. He was a five-time pro-bowler and a 1st team all pro. Wright, on the other hand, was more explosive, but not nearly as powerful on the field. Wright could consistently give you 5-6 sacks every year, but he also had a tendency to get bull-dozed by power running teams. Wright's most effective seasons were early in his career when Smerlas was still on the team. Wright had 8 sacks in his first two years and started zero games. Off the bench, on obvious passing downs, we now had our inside pass-rusher. It was great. His ability to explode through one gap and create pressure gave us a lot of 3 and outs. He and Smerlas together gave us the ability to play both run and pass, and gave us the advantage of keeping OL off balance and out of rhythm. Still, as a 34 NT, Wright was not as good as Smerlas was, overall. It's a shame that the year after Smerlas' last in Buffalo, we end up losing the big one to an Otis Anderson lead rushing attack.

pmoon6
05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes and no. Size-wise, they were similar. Wright was 6'2, 274. Smerlas was 6'3, 277. Stylistically, they were worlds a part. Smerlas was a traditional anchor NT. He had a year in the early 80's with 6 sacks, but most years he never had more than 2. Smerlas was very strong and was a stud at controlling two gaps. He may not penetrate, but he had a hold of three interior OL and you were not running inside on him. He was a five-time pro-bowler and a 1st team all pro. Wright, on the other hand, was more explosive, but not nearly as powerful on the field. Wright could consistently give you 5-6 sacks every year, but he also had a tendency to get bull-dozed by power running teams. Wright's most effective seasons were early in his career when Smerlas was still on the team. Wright had 8 sacks in his first two years and started zero games. Off the bench, on obvious passing downs, we now had our inside pass-rusher. It was great. His ability to explode through one gap and create pressure gave us a lot of 3 and outs. He and Smerlas together gave us the ability to play both run and pass, and gave us the advantage of keeping OL off balance and out of rhythm. Still, as a 34 NT, Wright was not as good as Smerlas was, overall. It's a shame that the year after Smerlas' last in Buffalo, we end up losing the big one to an Otis Anderson lead rushing attack.Thank you Ted. Excellent analysis. I should have said Wright was not as good taking on a guard and the center.

gebobs
05-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Incidentally, Wright was the guy that finally got to Marino in '89 ending his streak of 759 attempts without a sack. He blew up the middle and clobbered Marino before he took a third step back.

TedMock
05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Incidentally, Wright was the guy that finally got to Marino in '89 ending his streak of 759 attempts without a sack. He blew up the middle and clobbered Marino before he took a third step back.

Yep! And it was awesome! This was in Wright's 2nd season and where I was going when I said he was most effective early. He had several 5-6 sack years, but those early years are when he really seemed to come in and have difference making sacks. A sack like the one on Marino you mentioned drives energy into the team and every fan in WNY. That sack was in the 2nd quarter and we ended up dominating the rest of the game. Another score and we were up 21-3 at the half. Marino threw 3 picks that day as Bruce was up his butt all game. Buffalo RAN the ball on 51 of 60 plays, but Reich still threw a 63 yard TD to Beebe. Damn, that was fun.

Night Train
05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Man for man, certainly one of the great defenses of all time. Horribly coached by Walt Corey though.
That's pretty close to the truth. Lots of good individual talent but they should have been running a 4-3. Jeff Wright was manhandled in many games at NT. THey could have been far better.

The Bills Defenses from the mid 1960's was the highest point for D in the history of the team. They just swarmed to the ball and smothered teams completely.

Mr. Pink
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Daryl Talley actually took blame for the loss because of the Ingram play when people were jumping Norwood's ****.

The truth is with a game that close, you can look in hindsight and point to numerous plays. That is the case with a lot of games. They turn on three or four plays.

True.

But the difference in that Superbowl is 1 play not even going to the kick either.

Or it's a better gameplan when Thurman was trashing the Giants D.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes and no. Size-wise, they were similar. Wright was 6'2, 274. Smerlas was 6'3, 277. Stylistically, they were worlds a part. Smerlas was a traditional anchor NT. He had a year in the early 80's with 6 sacks, but most years he never had more than 2. Smerlas was very strong and was a stud at controlling two gaps. He may not penetrate, but he had a hold of three interior OL and you were not running inside on him. He was a five-time pro-bowler and a 1st team all pro. Wright, on the other hand, was more explosive, but not nearly as powerful on the field. Wright could consistently give you 5-6 sacks every year, but he also had a tendency to get bull-dozed by power running teams. Wright's most effective seasons were early in his career when Smerlas was still on the team. Wright had 8 sacks in his first two years and started zero games. Off the bench, on obvious passing downs, we now had our inside pass-rusher. It was great. His ability to explode through one gap and create pressure gave us a lot of 3 and outs. He and Smerlas together gave us the ability to play both run and pass, and gave us the advantage of keeping OL off balance and out of rhythm. Still, as a 34 NT, Wright was not as good as Smerlas was, overall. It's a shame that the year after Smerlas' last in Buffalo, we end up losing the big one to an Otis Anderson lead rushing attack.

wright was pretty good stack and shed guy, but youre right. in all reality, I don't get how we were not better vs the run... it's not like those guys didn't have the power or mass to stop people.

BillsPride12
05-24-2013, 08:38 AM
I have a copy of that Denver comeback game on DVD and the crowd was so loud at Rich Stadium that day the refs requested the crowd to quiet down or else the Bills would be assessed a Delay of Game penalty......goosebumps at that point.....and I think it only made the crowd even more riled up, the next play Elway fumbled the snap and the Bills recovered.

better days
05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I have a copy of that Denver comeback game on DVD and the crowd was so loud at Rich Stadium that day the refs requested the crowd to quiet down or else the Bills would be assessed a Delay of Game penalty......goosebumps at that point.....and I think it only made the crowd even more riled up, the next play Elway fumbled the snap and the Bills recovered.

I remember watching that game on TV at the Cabanna Inn in Sarasota with a LARGE Crowd of Bills fans. I can't remember the officials telling any other crowd at any other Stadium to quiet down or their team would be penalized.

BillsPride12
05-24-2013, 04:38 PM
I remember watching that game on TV at the Cabanna Inn in Sarasota with a LARGE Crowd of Bills fans. I can't remember the officials telling any other crowd at any other Stadium to quiet down or their team would be penalized.

Yup. We def had a very special and unique thing back in the day with our Rich Stadium home field advantage

Buffalo Billy Bison
05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
:usflag:We had moved to South Dakota and the Pony Express only delivered mail once a month! Guess it must have been week 4! :laughing:

PS: I want those unis back, they represent my Bills the most!!!

NOT THE DUDE...
05-24-2013, 07:11 PM
wasn't mark pike, mike lodish the main backups on the dline? were they good that year? or just bodies to keep bruce/leon/wright fresh?

- - - Updated - - -

that's a great 3 man front...

Generalissimus Gibby
05-24-2013, 09:45 PM
wasn't mark pike, mike lodish the main backups on the dline? were they good that year? or just bodies to keep bruce/leon/wright fresh?

- - - Updated - - -

that's a great 3 man front...

We've been through this before, Wright really was a pass rushing specialist of the sort you bring in on obvious passing situations to **** up the opponent's pass protection, but was awful against the run. Actually Wright and Lodish were both high motor sorts who rotated and spelled each other. Pike was a ST hitman. Also, for someone such as yourself who claims to be in his mid thirties you should remember the 90 season better.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
We've been through this before, Wright really was a pass rushing specialist of the sort you bring in on obvious passing situations to **** up the opponent's pass protection, but was awful against the run. Actually Wright and Lodish were both high motor sorts who rotated and spelled each other. Pike was a ST hitman. Also, for someone such as yourself who claims to be in his mid thirties you should remember the 90 season better.

IM 29. I knew pike was a teams guy, but I remember him playing in that famous phili game getting a decent push... i guess back then, the backup dlineman didn't play as much

- - - Updated - - -

leon seals was pretty good

pmoon6
05-25-2013, 06:32 AM
HaHaHa. Yeah, "Dr. Sack". Had something like 15 career sacks in 5 years playing opposite of one of the greatest pass rushers of all time. As soon as Phil Hansen showed what he could do Seals was let go.

I'll give Ole Leon one thing, he almost sent Hostetler to the hospital in SBXXV. In today's game, Seals would probably have been penalized and ejected for that hit, fined and then charged with third degree aggravated assault.

pmoon6
05-25-2013, 06:41 AM
IM 29. I knew pike was a teams guy, but I remember him playing in that famous phili game getting a decent push... i guess back then, the backup dlineman didn't play as much

- - - Updated - - -

leon seals was pretty goodYou were 6 during that season, although I think you're inflating your age. You actually think you can talk about it? On the rare occasion that Mark Pike came in he usually was at linebacker.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-25-2013, 02:02 PM
You were 6 during that season, although I think you're inflating your age. You actually think you can talk about it? On the rare occasion that
Mark Pike came in he usually was at linebacker.

wow, I didn't know that. what was the sentiment about jim Kelly before that 1990 season? was he already labeled a for sure franchise qb, how did bills fans feel about him? I remember hearing my uncle talk about people wanting frank to start in the late 80s

Bert102176
05-26-2013, 02:26 AM
I do miss those days

k-oneputt
05-26-2013, 04:09 AM
wow, I didn't know that. what was the sentiment about jim Kelly before that 1990 season? was he already labeled a for sure franchise qb, how did bills fans feel about him? I remember hearing my uncle talk about people wanting frank to start in the late 80s

Well some fans wanting Reich to start was true. I used to sit in a section that was full of reich lovers. They finally fiqured it out but it took them untill that 1990 season to realize what they had.

pmoon6
05-26-2013, 05:35 AM
wow, I didn't know that. what was the sentiment about jim Kelly before that 1990 season? was he already labeled a for sure franchise qb, how did bills fans feel about him? I remember hearing my uncle talk about people wanting frank to start in the late 80sOne of the most exalted positions in all of sports is the Buffalo Bills' back-up QB.

No matter how well we are doing, there is a certain segment of fans that will call for the back-up the first time the starter throws a pic.

Bills'/Sabres Fans are the way they are because there is a negative energy field that hovers over Little Valley. WNY got the cosmic short stick.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-26-2013, 04:41 PM
One of the most exalted positions in all of sports is the Buffalo Bills' back-up QB.

No matter how well we are doing, there is a certain segment of fans that will call for the back-up the first time the starter throws a pic.

Bills'/Sabres Fans are the way they are because there is a negative energy field that hovers over Little Valley. WNY got the cosmic short stick.

cynical, ugh

Ginger Vitis
05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
wow, I didn't know that. what was the sentiment about jim Kelly before that 1990 season?

During the 1989 season which was also the time of the "Bickering Bills" Thurman Thomas suggested in the media the Bills needed to get better at Quarterback and there was a stretch during that season where Jim was throwing a lot of interceptions and seemed to lose confidence.. So at that time some fans were quite down on Jim and wanted Frank Reich to play

Generalissimus Gibby
05-26-2013, 05:47 PM
During the 1989 season which was also the time of the "Bickering Bills" Thurman Thomas suggested in the media the Bills needed to get better at Quarterback and there was a stretch during that season where Jim was throwing a lot of interceptions and seemed to lose confidence.. So at that time some fans were quite down on Jim and wanted Frank Reich to play

Wasn't that also agravated by the fact that there was a span early that season where Kelly got hurt and Reich filled in and went 4-0? Man, I wish we had a qb who was as good as either one.

Ginger Vitis
05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Wasn't that also agravated by the fact that there was a span early that season where Kelly got hurt and Reich filled in and went 4-0?

yep against the Colts Howard Ballard missed a block and Jon Hand crushed Jim and separated Jims shoulder. After the game Jim criticized Ballard in the media and that started the whole "Bickering Bills".. Franks 1st ever start was against the 5-0 Rams on a Monday night and the Bills won that game and Frank I think went 4-0 in jims absence..

Ginger Vitis
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Going into the 1990 season the Bills had a reputation around the NFL of a talented team that lacked heart..character..and bickered with each other.. Some posters in this thread have mentioned the early season games against the Broncos and the raiders and how they won those games.I think that was the springboard to them eventually getting to 4 straight Superbowls they gained a ton of confidence and started believing in themselves after beating the broncos and the raiders they way they did. Had they lost those games they are 1-3 to start the season with 3 straight losses and maybe it really starts to go off the rails and maybe Marv Levy loses his job eventually and wholesale changes are made

pmoon6
05-26-2013, 09:29 PM
yep against the Colts Howard Ballard missed a block and Jon Hand crushed Jim and separated Jims shoulder. After the game Jim criticized Ballard in the media and that started the whole "Bickering Bills".. Franks 1st ever start was against the 5-0 Rams on a Monday night and the Bills won that game and Frank I think went 4-0 in jims absence..I remember that Rams game. Reich brought us from behind and when we went ahead I vaulted out of my chair and my head hit the ceiling. My mother-in-law questioned my sanity for three years after.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-26-2013, 09:30 PM
I remember that Rams game. Reich brought us from behind and when we went ahead I vaulted out of my chair and my head hit the ceiling. My mother-in-law questioned my sanity for three years after.

and 24 years later people are still questioning your sanity, imagine that. :D

NOT THE DUDE...
05-26-2013, 10:40 PM
and 24 years later people are still questioning your sanity, imagine that. :D

:bike:

Generalissimus Gibby
05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
:bike:

Just to clarify NTD, I jest with Moonie. You on the other hand truly are insane.

pmoon6
05-27-2013, 07:16 AM
and 24 years later people are still questioning your sanity, imagine that. :DThrew that hanging curveball and Gibby hits it out of the park.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Just to clarify NTD, I jest with Moonie. You on the other hand truly are insane.:wtf:

Generalissimus Gibby
05-27-2013, 01:54 PM
:wtf:

no need to ask questions, you're either insane or just the world's worst troll.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
no need to ask questions, you're either insane or just the world's worst troll.

why do you care? and I still don't understand...

Generalissimus Gibby
05-27-2013, 09:54 PM
why do you care? and I still don't understand...

I care because you are a ********* troll, and you are incapable of understanding dumbass.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
I care because you are a ********* troll, and you are incapable of understanding dumbass.

calm down bro, im going to step away and get some chocolate milk... relax man. you sound unstable and irrational right now

Generalissimus Gibby
05-27-2013, 10:18 PM
calm down bro, im going to step away and get some chocolate milk... relax man. you sound unstable and irrational right now

So they're allowing the inmates of the psychiatric ward to make diagnoses?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-28-2013, 07:19 AM
So they're allowing the inmates of the psychiatric ward to make diagnoses?why do you keep trolling me lol? are you lonely? do u want to get a beer or something? lol

Historian
05-28-2013, 08:24 AM
The turning point for that team was the embarrassing week two loss in Miami.

Levy sat them down and told them to grow up, at which point, they did.