PDA

View Full Version : The 20 Types of Depressed Sports Fans

BLeonard
05-21-2013, 10:02 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/62564/the-20-types-of-depressed-sports-fans

I'm personally guilty of: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 18 and 19...

-Bill

OpIv37
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Lately I've mostly been guilty of 18. I used to get more excuberant in my disappointment but too many hers of watching the Bills, Sabres and Irish have beat the enthusiasm out of me.

I was at Game 5 of the Divisional series last year, where the Nats choked away a four run lead in the 9th. The other Nationals fans were in some kind of state between depression, amazement and catatonic shock. But, I was just numb to it. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is par for the course. I think I'd be the "how?" Guy if they actually pulled off a big win out of pure amazement. It's been so long since I've actually seen one that I don't even know how to react anymore.

Meathead
05-22-2013, 05:47 AM
I used to get more excuberant in my disappointment

was that like rubik's excuberant?

stuckincincy
05-22-2013, 05:54 AM
was that like rubik's excuberant?

It's Latin, meaning "out of ice cubes."

I looked it up on the notthedudebetterdays.com site.

coastal
05-22-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm a Leafs fan so this thread hurts even more...

SpikedLemonade
05-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm a Leafs fan so this thread hurts even more...

Cheer for the Bruins instead.

trapezeus
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
the bills have helped me progress through the shock of the early ones mentioned on the list to the "see it before it happens" type fan. it's kind of fun. To predict the absolute worst possible event and be right most of the time.

i remember that MNF game vs the pats where leodis fumbled. i was with a friend who was just getting intofootball and he was confident that the 11 pt lead was safe, and i said right on that kickoff with like 5 minutes to go, "the are going to have a killer turnover and then you'll see them slink away and it'll be the season." and he insisted that there wasn't enough time for that to happen. it was so painful yet somewhat cathartic that i wasn't sitting in the last 5 mintes hoping for them to pull it out. i found peace in them losing.

i hate this team so much some times. i would do anything to have one meaningful run where it gets us to the playoffs and we have big wins scattered in there and just get one more chance to play in a superbowl before i go. i don't care if they lose it again, i just want to cherish that season as its happening.

pmoon6
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/62564/the-20-types-of-depressed-sports-fans

I'm personally guilty of: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 18 and 19...

-BillThanks, that was great. I've gone beyond all of those and landed in a place where I accept whatever happens. Gone are the extreme highs and endorphin rush and the extreme lows that precede mild depression.

I take it for what it is, entertainment. I give a Tiger Woods type fist pump when we make a good play and low volume "****" when we screw up. After the game is done, I leave it to enjoy something else. Good meal, conversation with friends, etc.

I don't let it affect my life or my psyche the way it used to twenty years ago, but I still look forward to seeing the red, white and blue take the field on Sundays.

gebobs
05-22-2013, 11:23 AM
#2: I drop the F-bomb at will. Often bookended with "jesus" and "christ".

Mr. Miyagi
05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Cheer for the Bruins instead. I'd rather cheer for getting my left nut squashed slowly by a c-clamp.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
I used to be an emphatic 11, but the Bills have gradually turned me into an 18

pmoon6
05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
#2: I drop the F-bomb at will. Often bookended with "jesus" and "christ".I thought you were an atheist.:D

MTBillsFan
05-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I've been all 20 watching the Bills and Sabres. Anymore, I take the stance that both teams will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

SpikedLemonade
05-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I'd rather cheer for getting my left nut squashed slowly by a c-clamp.

We both already do that by being Bills fans.

gebobs
05-22-2013, 01:04 PM
I thought you were an atheist.:D

It's just another thing I learned from the Jesuits. ;-)

Generalissimus Gibby
05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm the I knew it fan, of course since this team has been so bad for so long I am more the unlisted #21, the MST3K Bills fan. I assume this team is intentionally bad to help someone in the Forrester family take over the world, and as such I fight to keep my sanity by making jokes.