PDA

View Full Version : Broadway Joe, Says Jets wasted pick on Geno

mixxum
05-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Just shut up Joe.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/386094-namath-jets-wasted-smith-pick?eref=sihp

Geno is going to be a basket case by the start of the season.

BLeonard
05-22-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't think Joe Namath has liked a Jets Quarterback since................ Well, since Joe Namath.

-Bill

IlluminatusUIUC
05-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Did you read why he thought the Geno pick was a waste?

Because he thought they already had a solid QB in Sanchez.

OpIv37
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Meh. It's one guy's opinion, and an old drunk at that.

If we look hard enough, I'm sure we can find an ex-Bill willing to say Manuel was a wasted pick if it'll get people talking about him again.

Joe Fo Sho
05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm glad our ex-players from the 90's are just drunks, and not drunk attention whores.

trapezeus
05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
kelly was pro-tebow. i don't disagree that geno wasn't a great pick for the jets. they have no WR, no RB, dying OL, they are an old defense. they need players. and Geno wasn't even worth grooming. because frankly next year the jets are looking at starting without rex, and then a new coach will say, "i don't like these players and i want a qb i can work with."

obviously the GM will pick a coach who wants to work with geno, but if geno has to play this year due to fan revolt, and he sucks, they are right back to the same exact spot in their rebuild.

I would have sucked it up and said, "i got $8mm in sanchez whether i like it or not. let's find some talent to help him out and if he sucks, let's ride it to the bottom get a new QB and try again with at least a few pieces in place.

DynaPaul
05-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Joe "I Wanna Kiss You" Namath has totally lost his mind. He's saying that Sanchez can be a starter for as long as he wants and that he's a rock solid QB.

DynaPaul
05-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Oh and by the way....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/22/rex-calls-sanchezs-ota-interceptions-unacceptable/

swiper
05-22-2013, 06:04 PM

If we look hard enough, I'm sure we can find an ex-Bill willing to say Manuel was a wasted pick if it'll get people talking about him again.

I love guys who swipe at ex- All-Pros, virtual legends of the game, like this calling them and their opinion old, drunk, whatever and then turnaround and tell us how great Manuel is - he who hasn't taken an NFL snap. Namath earned his right to chatter. Suzy Kolber nonwithstanding.

OpIv37
05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I love guys who swipe at ex- All-Pros, virtual legends of the game, like this calling them and their opinion old, drunk, whatever and then turnaround and tell us how great Manuel is - he who hasn't taken an NFL snap. Namath earned his right to chatter. Suzy Kolber nonwithstanding.

If you're talking about me, I never said anything about Manuel being great.

swiper
05-22-2013, 06:10 PM
If you're talking about me, I never said anything about Manuel being great.

Not necessarily. Just used your post to make a point.

People pick on Namath, perhaps rightfully so, but Lawrence Taylor - who raped a girl largely gets a pass. It's funny sometimes.

Skooby
05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc65NC44dSk

swiper
05-22-2013, 06:18 PM
<iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MrUgB55lLM4" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

NOT THE DUDE...
05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
hes a drunk idiot

swiper
05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
north western fan

BLeonard
05-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Well, I haven't said anything about Manuel, but if you want my opinion on Namath, here goes:

He gets far too much credit for the "guarantee" in Super Bowl 3 and is more known for his media notariety and things such as his fur coats and pantyhose commercials than he is for being a good NFL Quarterback. Anyone looking at his NFL numbers (173 TDs, 220 INTs, less than 30k yards passing and a career QB rating of 65.5) would laugh if you suggested putting him in the Hall of Fame today.

IMO, Namath is the Tim Tebow of the 1960's and 70's NFL. He got noticed due to all of the stuff he did off of the football field, while being very average (or, I'd even argue below average) while on it.

-Bill

Homegrown
05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
gotta agree with Joseph on this one ....

CoolBreeze
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Not necessarily. Just used your post to make a point.

People pick on Namath, perhaps rightfully so, but Lawrence Taylor - who raped a girl largely gets a pass. It's funny sometimes.

Oh yeah I remember that "Joe Namath Is A Drunk, But Lawrence Taylor Is A Swell Guy" thread

The Jokeman
05-22-2013, 07:35 PM
I don't think Joe Namath has liked a Jets Quarterback since................ Well, since Joe Namath.

-Bill

You could replace Joe Namath with Jim Kelly and Jets with Bills and that statement sounds very true to me.

BLeonard
05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
You could replace Joe Namath with Jim Kelly and Jets with Bills and that statement sounds very true to me.

From what I remember, Jim has endorsed damn near every QB that's been on the Bills since he retired... In public, anyway.

-Bill

The Jokeman
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
From what I remember, Jim has endorsed damn near every QB that's been on the Bills since he retired... In public, anyway.

-Bill

Until the fail then all of a sudden he claims how bad they were etc. He like Namath is nothing more than a fan. Sure they might have better incite as they played in the league but no one can guarantee any one player will suceed/fail in the NFL if so that many would be the highest paid GM/Scout in the history of the sport.

The Jokeman
05-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah I remember that "Joe Namath Is A Drunk, But Lawrence Taylor Is A Swell Guy" thread

If I'm building a team I'd take Taylor over Namath any day of the week, Namath was hardly a great QB but because he said something that caught the nation's ear and came true he become a legend.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Sure they might have better incite as

Insight . INSIGHT!

he has INSIGHT.
Insight is the understanding of a specific cause and effect in a specific context.

not INCITE!

tr.v. in·cit·ed, in·cit·ing, . To provoke and urge on: troublemakers who incite riots; inciting workers to strike.

swiper
05-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Well, I haven't said anything about Manuel, but if you want my opinion on Namath, here goes:

He gets far too much credit for the "guarantee" in Super Bowl 3 and is more known for his media notariety and things such as his fur coats and pantyhose commercials than he is for being a good NFL Quarterback. Anyone looking at his NFL numbers (173 TDs, 220 INTs, less than 30k yards passing and a career QB rating of 65.5) would laugh if you suggested putting him in the Hall of Fame today.

IMO, Namath is the Tim Tebow of the 1960's and 70's NFL. He got noticed due to all of the stuff he did off of the football field, while being very average (or, I'd even argue below average) while on it.

-Bill
I understand the point you're making. But it is unfair to make that Tebow comparison. Namath was actually considered to be a very good QB. Tebow will never get a sniff of that. Watch the viseo I posted if you need to be reminded. Yes he gets too much credit for the guarantee. Yes he had the pantyhose commercial (I'm old enough to have actually seen it aired). But he was a great QB - his knees just gave out and pushed him out early.

As far as his stats, you have to understand that he played in a different era. Again, watch that video. He did throw a lot of interceptions though....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

better days
05-23-2013, 06:29 AM
If I'm building a team I'd take Taylor over Namath any day of the week, Namath was hardly a great QB but because he said something that caught the nation's ear and came true he become a legend.

This shows how little you know about the history on the NFL.

Buckets
05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
You guys have to be kidding, had the Bills picked a running back with their first pick there would be fandemonium on the board. Same difference.

don137
05-23-2013, 08:01 AM

-Bill

With numbers like that no wonder he thinks Sanchez is a good QB.

I kind of remember Namath play. He never overly impressed me.

better days
05-23-2013, 08:04 AM
With numbers like that no wonder he thinks Sanchez is a good QB.

I kind of remember Namath play. He never overly impressed me.

If he didn't impress you then you don't really remember watching him play. Or you saw him at the END of his career after all the injuries took their toll.

gebobs
05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Will someone please get Dennis Shaw's opinion?

gebobs
05-23-2013, 08:24 AM
If he didn't impress you then you don't really remember watching him play. Or you saw him at the END of his career after all the injuries took their toll.

He only had 20+ TDs once in his career. He only had two seasons out of 13 with more TDs than interceptions. Never had a rating over 75.

But yeah, he was really good those early few years. Overrated for the sum of his career IMHO.

JoeMama
05-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Namath angry Jets took Smith: Says perfectly good half-bottle of Captain Morgan was still available in round 2.

pmoon6
05-23-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm glad our ex-players from the 90's are just drunks, and not drunk attention whores.Well Son, can you tell me you wouldn't self medicate with alcohol after you played 12 or 14 seasons in the NFL?

Get back to me after you do.

pmoon6
05-23-2013, 09:00 AM
He only had 20+ TDs once in his career. He only had two seasons out of 13 with more TDs than interceptions. Never had a rating over 75.

But yeah, he was really good those early few years. Overrated for the sum of his career IMHO.The game was different then, Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer drove that offense. But, one thing has remained the same. The QB gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Namath's legacy has more to do with making the AFL high profile with his persona. The icing on the cake was winning the Super Bowl and giving the AFL legitimacy. Hell, when the Jets opened the next season, hundreds of Bills' Fans met them at the Buffalo airport to say "Thank You". Without Namath, the two leagues may not have merged.

gebobs
05-23-2013, 09:46 AM
The game was different then
I understand that. It doesn't change my opinion that Namath was overrated. He was a pretty boy in the Big Apple and was pimped by Cosell, etc. If he played for KC and had a mutt face, he would never have made the HoF.

Namath's legacy has more to do with making the AFL high profile with his persona. The icing on the cake was winning the Super Bowl and giving the AFL legitimacy. Hell, when the Jets opened the next season, hundreds of Bills' Fans met them at the Buffalo airport to say "Thank You". Without Namath, the two leagues may not have merged.
I don't disagree. He's still overrated.

Joe Fo Sho
05-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Well Son, can you tell me you wouldn't self medicate with alcohol after you played 12 or 14 seasons in the NFL?

Get back to me after you do.

Ha. Well, Dad...that was not meant to put down our guys, I can't think of any players I'd rather have represent our glory days than Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, Reed, Talley, Bennett, etc. I self medicate with alcohol without having played in the NFL anyways.

"Here's to alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

Historian
05-23-2013, 10:02 AM

-Bill

I disagree.

I saw him play in his hey day.

He was a man amongst boys, and probably the reason the NFL merged with the AFL.

pmoon6
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I understand that. It doesn't change my opinion that Namath was overrated. He was a pretty boy in the Big Apple and was pimped by Cosell, etc. If he played for KC and had a mutt face, he would never have made the HoF.

I don't disagree. He's still overrated.He did, his name is Len Dawson.

I don't disagree that he was, but he was a marvel standing in the pocket with his white cleats and had a pretty throwing motion.

However, statistical analysis only takes you so far. It doesn't take into consideration leadership and the intangibles. It also doesn't take into consideration who you have around you.

Terry Bradshaw was over rated as well, without Swann and Stallworth making unbelievable catches on his overthrown balls, they may have only won two SBs.

BleedinGreenNC
05-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Just shut up Joe.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/386094-namath-jets-wasted-smith-pick?eref=sihp

Geno is going to be a basket case by the start of the season.

Why are you starting threads about the Jets? Stick to the Bills talk. Everyone knows the Jets are a mess, no reason to keep reminding everyone on a Bills message board.

Joe Fo Sho
05-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Why are you starting threads about the Jets? Stick to the Bills talk. Everyone knows the Jets are a mess, no reason to keep reminding everyone on a Bills message board.

It's like running the mile in high school. When you cross the finish line thinking you came in last place, it's always nice to turn around and see that guy a tenth of a mile back struggling to breathe. Doesn't matter if his classes are in the room with the padded walls or not.

imbondz
05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm gonna be the naysayer about Namath. When I was a kid, I thought he was one the greatest QBs ever, even tho I'm too young to ever see him play. Whatever he did marketing wise, and how the NFL presented him, I thought he was godlike. First to throw for 4,000 yds / season. His guarantee of winning the SB and then doing it against a superior team was the coolest thing to me as a kid. As I got older, and saw his stats, I realized he probably wasn't as good as I thought. And then you realize athletes are human. Then I realized I hated the Jets. But, still always liked Namath during that kid idolizing athletes phase.

It'd be great if a QB today made it to the SB, guaranteed a victory, then followed through.

TigerJ
05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Did you read why he thought the Geno pick was a waste?

Because he thought they already had a solid QB in Sanchez.The news out today is hat Rex Ryan dissed Sanchez because he tossed three interceptions in one OTA practice session. I don't dispute your point. It's just that the comments of Broadway Joe, the shoot from the hip style of Rex Ryan and the general dysfunctionality of the New York Jets is pretty entertaining in what is generally a slow period in the football year. I love hearing about the mishaps of an organization that seems even more messed up than the Bills. Hopefully, the Bills are getting themselves straightened out.

swiper
05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Ha. Well, Dad...that was not meant to put down our guys, I can't think of any players I'd rather have represent our glory days than Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, Reed, Talley, Bennett, etc. I self medicate with alcohol without having played in the NFL anyways.

"Here's to alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

Yeah they won a lot of Super Bowls that bunch.

swiper
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
He did, his name is Len Dawson.

I don't disagree that he was, but he was a marvel standing in the pocket with his white cleats and had a pretty throwing motion.

However, statistical analysis only takes you so far. It doesn't take into consideration leadership and the intangibles. It also doesn't take into consideration who you have around you.

Terry Bradshaw was over rated as well, without Swann and Stallworth making unbelievable catches on his overthrown balls, they may have only won two SBs.

I have long thought if you would have taken one Louisiana boy (Joe Ferguson) and substituted him for another (Bradshaw) that Ferguson would have ended up with those rings. In that day the QBs weren't expected to be 60% accurate. Many of them were corn-fed good ole boys like Ferguson, Bradshaw, Bert Jones, Archie Manning, etc who could just chuck the hell outta the ball.

better days
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM

But yeah, he was really good those early few years. Overrated for the sum of his career IMHO.

You can't judge QBs from the past by stats & Compare them to stats of today. For one thing they played less games in a season, for another the rules were totally different. WRs were MUGGED from the time the ball was snapped until the whistle blew. And QBs were drilled even after they got rid of the ball.

It took a MAN to play football back then. A skirtwearing pantywaist like Tom Brady would never have lasted a week back then.

Joe Fo Sho
05-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah they won a lot of Super Bowls that bunch.

They got closer than any of the other players we've had, no.

The Jokeman
05-23-2013, 01:17 PM
You can't judge QBs from the past by stats & Compare them to stats of today. For one thing they played less games in a season, for another the rules were totally different. WRs were MUGGED from the time the ball was snapped until the whistle blew. And QBs were drilled even after they got rid of the ball.

It took a MAN to play football back then. A skirtwearing pantywaist like Tom Brady would never have lasted a week back then.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

I hate using the "record" because to me a QB record more a result of his surrounding cast but Namath was 62-63-4 and 2-1 in the playoffs. In comparison Jack Kemp had 65 wins but played in 30 less games than Namath for what it's worth. Also Namath had the most amount of INTs by a QB in 4 of his 13 seasons in the AFL/NFL or maybe should say 7 seasons since he only played 7 full seasons for his career.

gebobs
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
You can't judge QBs from the past by stats & Compare them to stats of today.
I didn't compare his stats to anyone's. But even comparing him to the others at the time, he had some lousy seasons. More so than he had really good seasons.

I know it was a different game back then. The point is, Joe Willy is considered by many to be one of the all-time greats. I disagree. He was really good, but he got into the HoF for his personality and the fact that he played in NY.

If you want to talk about old time quarterbacks that had great stats comparable to modern era...Otto Graham baby.

pmoon6
05-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Graham is on the top of my greatest all time list.

gebobs
05-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Graham is on the top of my greatest all time list.

I know, right? And of course, I'm maybe 3/4 serious about it. Posting about Otto was part of my Range schtick. I'm not even sure how it started. But the more I learned about the guy, I was floored. All he did was win. Then he retired and the team came out flat the next year. He came back, won out the season, and led them to another title. He was ridiculous.

And how do you beat a name like Otto? Plus he was buds with Dr. Sam Sheppard (the real Fugitive).

better days
05-23-2013, 10:37 PM
I didn't compare his stats to anyone's. But even comparing him to the others at the time, he had some lousy seasons. More so than he had really good seasons.

I know it was a different game back then. The point is, Joe Willy is considered by many to be one of the all-time greats. I disagree. He was really good, but he got into the HoF for his personality and the fact that he played in NY.

If you want to talk about old time quarterbacks that had great stats comparable to modern era...Otto Graham baby.

Well, you were comparing his stats to the stats of ALL QBs today. If you want to judge an old school QB or any old school player for that matter, You need to look at the old game footage, not what is written on pages.

Namath, STARTED the WAR between the AFL & the NFL. His signing to the BIGGEST CONTRACT EVER by far up to that time by the NY Jets was a shot accross the bow of the NFL by the AFL.

Namath was a HUGE reason the AFL & NFL eventually merged into one league.

Then Namath brought legitimacy to the AFL/AFC by guaranteeing the Jets would beat the NFL BALTIMORE Colts & delivering a WIN. Without a doubt the GREATEST UPSET WIN in Super Bowl History.

Those are the reasons Namath is in the Hall Of Fame.

As for Otto Graham, maybe the GREATEST QB to ever live. When I moved to Sarasota from Ft. Myers in 1985, I went to the barbershop closest to my Condo. As LUCK would have it, that was the barbershop Otto Graham had been going to for years. He had retired to Sarasota. I had the great fortune to meet the man, a true gentleman.

gebobs
05-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Well, you were comparing his stats to the stats of ALL QBs today.
I most certainly did not. I stated some glaring black eyes in his stats. He had some horrendous years. As Jokeman pointed out, he played 7 full seasons and led the league in picks in 4 of those. That's not comparing him to anyone but his peers.

Those are the reasons Namath is in the Hall Of Fame.
Exactly. He made the HoF for reasons other than his actual play.

As for Otto Graham, maybe the GREATEST QB to ever live. When I moved to Sarasota from Ft. Myers in 1985, I went to the barbershop closest to my Condo. As LUCK would have it, that was the barbershop Otto Graham had been going to for years. He had retired to Sarasota. I had the great fortune to meet the man, a true gentleman.

Whoa! Cool!

better days
05-24-2013, 12:03 AM
I most certainly did not. I stated some glaring black eyes in his stats. He had some horrendous years. As Jokeman pointed out, he played 7 full seasons and led the league in picks in 4 of those. That's not comparing him to anyone but his peers.

Exactly. He made the HoF for reasons other than his actual play.

Whoa! Cool!

Yeah, I think you were comparing his stats to today, but no point in getting into an argument over it because there is no winning on either side.

I was a young teen when Namath was playing however & remember those times well. He already had bad knees before he signed with the Jets & medical procedures back then were nothing like today. He played his entire career with HUGE metel braces on both knees that went from the upper thigh to the lower calf. I was unlucky enough to be fitted for one of those on just one knee myself. Let me tell you it was painful just to wear it & you had NO mobility at all. I reinjured my knee about a month after being fitted with the brace & needed more surgery on my knee, so I can only imagine what Namath went through. My knee still kills me to this day.

All I can say is Namath was highly sought after by BOTH leagues when he graduated from Alabama even with his bad knees. And when the Jets signed him, he did not disapoint. I'm sure there are many Jets fans today because of Joe Willie & he ABSOLUTELY
belongs in the Hall of Fame.

And yeah, meeting Otto Graham was COOL. Right up there with meeting the Allman Brothers in Buffalo just before they became famous then running into them again in Sarasota & Bradenton after I moved to Fla.

alohabillsfan
05-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Geno WILL be a bust!