PDA

View Full Version : Vikes vs Bills

Ingtar33
09-11-2002, 11:09 PM
Just a few thoughts about the upcoming battle between the winless Vikes and the winless Bills.

1) Don't expect a repeat of the game TH had against the Jets. The Jets from what I saw, were overpursuing, and getting trapped in a lot of stuns and blitzes. While the Bills O-line had a great day, the Jets just weren't getting good run support from their DBs, and their DL schemes were usually putting them out of position. The Vikes (from what I saw last Sunday) were able to bottle up AT with an aggressive 8 men in the box approach, as they clearly were not intimidated by Jim Miller & co. In the end that aggression would be their undoing as M.Booker (as my fantasy team learned to its sorrow) cleaned up against the Vikes exposed secondary.

2) Because of the Vikes aggressive D plan, they were stung often by the passing game... an occurrence which should be repeated against the Bills as their pass rush was totaly useless, and their DBs were too slow to effectively stop the Chicago passing attack. Booker is a good WR, but he doesn't have the talent of either Moulds or Price. These thing should all conspire (unless the Vikes play us in a nickel D all game, in which case Henry should repeat his jets performance) to give our WR and Bledsoe career games.

3) In spite of our D's bottom line excellence against the Jets I think it actually looked better than it was. Because the Jets had the Ball for such a small period of time, the overall offensive numbers were unimpressive. However, if you look at the avg yards per play, you'll see the Jets moved the ball BETTER than the Bills against the Jets D (5.1y/play Bills vs 5.7y/play Jets).

4) The Vikes had some success against the Chicago D, making me a little bit nervous about our chances, as our pass D, was very vanilla against the Jets. If your going to blitz on every down you'd better hold up the opposing receivers in some bump and run coverage's, not give them a 10 yard cushion to run a quick slant or out on the hot read. Without a change in the DB play calling, I fear Culpepper will have a monster day... Giving us quite the shootout to watch.

5) In the end I think the Bills can look forward to a close game, which will be decided in the last 2min, I pick the Bills to win over the Vikes, 32-31.
:pow:
:pow: :pow:

venis2k1
09-12-2002, 12:02 AM
Well said. It will be interesting to see how they play against our threat of running/passing.

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 01:10 AM
5 yards a play are about 3 too many.

The D was tighter than expected and if they repeat the good job this Sunday, they'll only get better and better.

Moss should have his hands full with Winfield and Clements. The difference in the game comes down to that match up. IMO

Pride
09-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Intgar33, although I agree with most of your points, I have to disagree on at least 1.

Henry may not have a big day, but if he does not, then Bledsoe will. Yeah, against the bears it is easy to put 8 in the box to stop Atrain. Do that against our Bills, and we will put up 400 yards passing.

The fact of the matter is, last week, whether it be a fluke or not, makes defenses have to prepare for a balanced offensive attack. During the preseason, I thought we were going to be one dimensional. So if the Vikes want to stop the Run, that opens the pass wide open, and vise versa.

Just my opinion.

Shiny Chicken
09-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Does anyone else realize that this is the first time defenses have had to fear our running game AND our passing game since Kelly & Thomas?

casdhf
09-12-2002, 09:30 AM
Ya mean, they wern't affraid of Darrick Holmes and Todd Collins?? Damn, I know I was :D

Shiny Chicken
09-12-2002, 09:44 AM
haha... just as afraid as they were of Flutie and Buffalo-mode Antwain or Johnson and Linton/Bryson/Morris...etc... yeah

casdhf
09-12-2002, 09:47 AM
I think Henry puts up another 100 yards

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 10:02 AM
The vikes D cannot stop our offense. Plain and simple, we will beat them either through the air, or on the ground, or both.

BUT WE WILL MOST DEFINITELY BEAT THEM!

Gunzlingr
09-12-2002, 10:08 AM
I hope so! last time I went, the Vikings won and that made me sad :(

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 10:10 AM
They're not allowed to pump fake crowd noise into the stadium anymore.

casdhf
09-12-2002, 10:10 AM
cheaters

colin
09-12-2002, 06:12 PM
I think our passing game is gonna smash up Minni. They will in turn be pressured to go deep to Moss, but a forced pass is a bad pass, we can beat it. I think we should get a 10-14 point lead (kinda like against the Jests) and hold it winning well in the Twin City.

WG
09-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Henry doesn't need to have another career day like he had vs. the Jets. All he needs is to provide a presence in a ground game. There's no reason why he shouldn't have 20 carries for 90 yards or so. That's fine.

Bledsoe will counter if they stuff the box. Moulds, Price, and Reed well eat that D alive if that's the approach they use with us. I suspect it will not be since Bledsoe is not Miller, Moulds not any Chicago WR.

This is gonna be a shootout. The key to the game will be if we can stop Bennett and the Minnesota ground game. If we can, we can win easily if our O is clicking. If not, then it's gonna be a "first-one-to-40-wins" scenario.

We need a balanced attack. All season we need that if we're to succeed.

Bufftp
09-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Wys: Ditto
Hows the knee?

TigerJ
09-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Say, Bufftp, I was afraid when I PMed you, I scared you away from the zone completely. You've been quiet for a couple days.

I looked in my Sporting News preseason football guide. It rated the Viking's DBs as a D+ and the linebackers as a D. The line rates a B. I don't think there's a team in the NFL rated lower on defense than the Vikes in that mag. I think Buffalo's offense is at least as good as Minnesota's, if not better. I think Buffalo's defense is quite a bit better than Minnesota's. Minnesota's line might be a little better, but Buffalo's backers and DBs are far superior. Now if the special teams can avoid giving up the big play, Buffalo really should win. The preseason game was meaningless.

Bufftp
09-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Tiger, were doing 30 nights of prayer (actually morning noon and night). Been busy.

The_Philster
09-13-2002, 04:49 AM
And you were partying it up, so to speak, with the rest of us at the Brew Pub last Saturday, Bufftp. :D

LouGrant
09-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Great thread, guys!

We highlighted it on our front page!!BillsZone.com (http://www.billszone.com)

WG
09-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Buff,

The knee's OK. No pain anymore. This straight leg is getting tedious. I'm getting used to it.