PDA

View Full Version : Dareus is AWOL from OTAs?

DynaPaul
05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/05/22/marcell-dareus-has-no-excuse-for-missing-buffalo-bills-otas/

The guy should be there since he hasn't proven anything yet.

PTI
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
This guy needs to show he is willing to stay in shape. I would even consider trading him if they got a good offer.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
I hate it when players skip these things.

I know they are optional, but the majority of players do attend. The CBA only allows for so much practice time, and for a team as bad as the Bills that's implementing new systems under new coaches, there simply isn't any excuse for not showing up.

I wouldn't put Dareus in the "headcase" category just yet, but I'm seeing some signs that he may be moving in that direction.

justasportsfan
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't put Dareus in the "headcase" category just yet, but I'm seeing some signs that he may be moving in that direction.

I'm starting to think all the deaths in his family is taking a toll on him. Hope not though.

EDS
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Who is the on-field leader of the defense?

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm starting to think all the deaths in his family is taking a toll on him. Hope not though.

yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

No one can blame him from being upset after deaths in the family, but he seems to be taking a lot longer than most people to get back to normal business.

Uncle Jesse
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
He of all people needs to be there. He's lazy, fat and disgustingly average at this job. You'd think a 3rd overall pick would want to get better and learn his new defense, instead he's probably sitting home eating Wendys playing xbox.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Who cares?

It's OPTIONAL.

Non-story.

swiper
05-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Who is the on-field leader of the defense?

Torrell Troup. But only because John McCargo got cut.

Generalissimus Gibby
Oh noes, he missed an OPTIONAL ota? Dear God, I'm glad I don't work for some of you, you'd call me a headcase for not putting in that extra hour of non-mandatory OT.

swiper
Who cares?

It's OPTIONAL.

Non-story.

Mr. Pink makes me see red.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Oh noes, he missed an OPTIONAL ota? Dear God, I'm glad I don't work for some of you, you'd call me a headcase for not putting in that extra hour of non-mandatory OT.

yeah well, unlike your day job, he can't be there 40 hours a week, week after week. The CBA only allows for limited practice opportunities. And the overwhelming majority of the team (and the league, for that matter) found the time to show up.

From January until the start of training camp, the guy's only job is to stay in shape. Coming into work for a few days won't kill him and it'll help the team.

trapezeus
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
i would just think if your new boss who is known to be a "buy into the system" type coach, you probably want to impress him early.

true, this could all be nothing, but frankly a couple walk throughs to see how you are going to be used is a good thing.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 01:16 PM
yeah well, unlike your day job, he can't be there 40 hours a week, week after week. The CBA only allows for limited practice opportunities. And the overwhelming majority of the team (and the league, for that matter) found the time to show up.

From January until the start of training camp, the guy's only job is to stay in shape. Coming into work for a few days won't kill him and it'll help the team.

Are we just assuming now he won't stay in shape or isn't working out on his own now? This isn't that uncommon for established veterans.

trapezeus
05-23-2013, 01:31 PM
i realize dareus is still young, but he was picked 3 on a bad defense and they got worse with him. is that his fault? no. did he do anything to stop that? no. He had an average season and they were the worst defense in the last 50 years of bills football. and you've all seen the last 13 years. so i would suspect if marrone is the kind of guy who is no nonsense and wants results, then he isn't going to be impressed by your paycheck and/or draft position 3 years ago.

and yeah, we've all watched new management come into our jobs. did you hvae to get in an hour earlier each day until the new guy liked your work? did you have to stay late for a bit to show that you weren't an issue? no, but you did it because it was the right call for the time. if gailey was giving it a go again, and the defense was middle of the pack and it really was a matter of implementing new draftees and FA into the mix, sure, take the option to not show. but that is not the case.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm not concerned, but the onus is on him to arrive at training camp in tip top shape.

Homegrown
05-23-2013, 01:57 PM
DT AWOL from OTA, what a SNAFU

DynaPaul
05-23-2013, 02:28 PM
I realize that it's "optional" but when you only work 4.5 months out of the year and you have new management coming in I'd think it'd be in your best interest to be there. This especially since Marrone is going to cut any dead weight from the team regardless of who drafted you and when. There's really no excuse and yes I think it is an issue albeit not a huge one. When Dareus shows up for the required OTAs he better be performing well.

mayotm
05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
I could be mistaken, but thought Dareus was present at the earlier OTA's . Just not there this week.

kishoph
05-23-2013, 03:40 PM
I could be mistaken, but thought Dareus was present at the earlier OTA's . Just not there this week.

I think you're right, I'm almost positive I seen him in video's of the first OTA's. Also who knows what excuse he has for not attending and it may be something that the coaching staff is fine with. As far as the "death's" that he's had to cope with, there's no telling how close he was with his Brother. I lost my oldest Brother almost 2 years ago and there are still days that I have a hard time dealing with it, because he meant so much to me and it was a sudden and unexpected death. Too often we expect these players to perform like robots and forget that they have personal problems just like the rest of us.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Are we just assuming now he won't stay in shape or isn't working out on his own now? This isn't that uncommon for established veterans.

I never said or suggested that he wasn't working out on his own.

My point was that, during the off-season, NFL players have it pretty easy. Showing up for a couple of days of work shouldn't be that big an issue.

And working out on his own is one thing. He needs to work out with the team and learn the new defense.

BertSquirtgum
05-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Dareus is a fat lazy slob. I'm not surprised he's not at OTA's starting to get comfortable with the new defense.

BillsFever21
05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
He of all people needs to be there. He's lazy, fat and disgustingly average at this job. You'd think a 3rd overall pick would want to get better and learn his new defense, instead he's probably sitting home eating Wendys playing xbox.

He knows he has his money for now. Maybe next year when he's in the last year of his contract he will be motivated so he can try and get a big deal afterwards.

He definitely hasn't been anywhere close to a dominant DT in this league. He hasn't been bad but merely average by league standards. For being the 3rd pick in the draft we need more then that out of him. Especially when we passed on AJ Green. I wanted either him or Von Miller and was upset when the Bills passed on Green. You could just tell that AJ Green had star written all over him and our WR corp would've been set for years with him and Stevie.

We probably wouldn't have ended up taking Graham either and may have taken Russell Wilson instead. Then if we would've taken Robert Woods this year too we would've had a dominant WR corp. Whether it would've been Wilson or Manuel as the QB that sure would've been a hell of a unit to throw to. Had we taken Wilson we could've taken Jarvis Jones instead this year and shored up our LB unit between him and Alonso. There were other decent DT's out there that we could've drafted or picked up in FA to fill his spot.

All this is in hindsight of what may have happened had we went a different direction. Either way it sure would've been nice to have AJ Green on the roster right now. Hopefully Dareus turns it around and becomes a good player. I don't see him becoming dominant though and if he doesn't then he won't be worth re-signing when his contract is up. Green would've been our #1 WR for years to come.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
I never said or suggested that he wasn't working out on his own.

My point was that, during the off-season, NFL players have it pretty easy. Showing up for a couple of days of work shouldn't be that big an issue.

And working out on his own is one thing. He needs to work out with the team and learn the new defense.

Because his role as a 34 5 tech is somehow going to be new to him? Do you not think he has a playbook and an Ipad full of video?

mayotm
05-23-2013, 04:43 PM
This is simple. No more Whitner. No more Kelsay. No more Fitz. So it's Dareus' turn. Some fans aren't happy unless they have a Bill to hate.

Novacane
05-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Dareus is not an established veteran

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Because his role as a 34 5 tech is somehow going to be new to him? Do you not think he has a playbook and an Ipad full of video?

oh well I didn't realize that teams could learn new systems with a playbook and an iPad.

Man, all those NFL players showing up at OTA's sure are suckers.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 05:05 PM
This is simple. No more Whitner. No more Kelsay. No more Fitz. So it's Dareus' turn. Some fans aren't happy unless they have a Bill to hate.

Misdirected anger.

It's about the TEAM. If you want the team to win, it's counter-intuitive to hate on fans who call out the players who aren't pulling their weight. For some reason, though, people insist on picking their favorite players and defending them no matter how poorly they play.

mayotm
05-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Misdirected anger.

It's about the TEAM. If you want the team to win, it's counter-intuitive to hate on fans who call out the players who aren't pulling their weight. For some reason, though, people insist on picking their favorite players and defending them no matter how poorly they play.I agree. Misdirected anger at Dareus. Dareus has missed this week's practice's, but participated in previous weeks. Why single out Dareus without even knowing if there was a reason for his absence this week? If you and others want to meltdown about three practices in May then knock yourself out.

- - - Updated - - -

Misdirected anger.

It's about the TEAM. If you want the team to win, it's counter-intuitive to hate on fans who call out the players who aren't pulling their weight. For some reason, though, people insist on picking their favorite players and defending them no matter how poorly they play.I agree. Misdirected anger at Dareus. Dareus has missed this week's practice's, but participated in previous weeks. Why single out Dareus without even knowing if there was a reason for his absence this week? If you and others want to meltdown about three practices in May then knock yourself out.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 05:39 PM
I agree. Misdirected anger at Dareus. Dareus has missed this week's practice's, but participated in previous weeks. Why single out Dareus without even knowing if there was a reason for his absence this week? If you and others want to meltdown about three practices in May then knock yourself out.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Misdirected anger at Dareus. Dareus has missed this week's practice's, but participated in previous weeks. Why single out Dareus without even knowing if there was a reason for his absence this week? If you and others want to meltdown about three practices in May then knock yourself out.

First, in the past when players have had legit excuses for missing these practices, it's been announced publicly.

Second, they have LIMITED OPPORTUNITY to practice because of the new CBA rules. You can try to trivialize it all you want, but this is significant practice time, especially with a new system.

Third, Dareus is a player who hasn't lived up to his billing, with new coaches. It doesn't look good to his new bosses or to fans if he doesn't show up to these things. You can't blame fans for being upset when a player who hasn't lived up to expectations isn't practicing and making every effort to do what's expected of him.

But hey, it's better to blame the fans for being critical, right? It's not the players screwing up already- it's just a bunch of overly critical fans. Whatever you have to do to keep up the delusion that the Bills are going to have a good season, right?

swiper
05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Bottom line is his absence will mean nothing if he shows up, works hard, and contributes to upgrading the defensive play. If he doesn't, then this will all get magnified on down the road.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Dareus is not an established veteran

Explain how he isn't. Has he not been around suddenly for the last two years?

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:04 PM
oh well I didn't realize that teams could learn new systems with a playbook and an iPad.

Man, all those NFL players showing up at OTA's sure are suckers.

Is that what I said?

You made the indication that because the system is new Dareus needed to be there, only to be reminded that Dareus has played, and was far better in, a 34 before. He knows the position and the assignments. He'll need to learn the terminology but reports state he was there last week, I didn't know missing a single week of OTA's is going to make a break a guys career.

Talk about flipping out over nothing.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:07 PM
First, in the past when players have had legit excuses for missing these practices, it's been announced publicly.

Second, they have LIMITED OPPORTUNITY to practice because of the new CBA rules. You can try to trivialize it all you want, but this is significant practice time, especially with a new system.

Third, Dareus is a player who hasn't lived up to his billing, with new coaches. It doesn't look good to his new bosses or to fans if he doesn't show up to these things. You can't blame fans for being upset when a player who hasn't lived up to expectations isn't practicing and making every effort to do what's expected of him.

But hey, it's better to blame the fans for being critical, right? It's not the players screwing up already- it's just a bunch of overly critical fans. Whatever you have to do to keep up the delusion that the Bills are going to have a good season, right?

You have no idea how it looks or if he cleared it with coaches. Despite your assumption not every absence legitimate or not is announced publicly. Its usually only "announced" after a member of the media asks a direct question about it.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Is that what I said?

You made the indication that because the system is new Dareus needed to be there, only to be reminded that Dareus has played, and was far better in, a 34 before. He knows the position and the assignments. He'll need to learn the terminology but reports state he was there last week, I didn't know missing a single week of OTA's is going to make a break a guys career.

Talk about flipping out over nothing.

First, I thought our D was supposed to be a "hybrid 3-4." It's not the same system as before.

Second, I didn't flip out nor did I say it would make or break his career.

Third, did you watch Dareus play last year? He wasn't bad but he certainly wasn't the dominant player that most people think he can be. He certainly hasn't done anything yet to suggest he was worth the #3 overall pick. He obviously needs the practice. If he has a legit reason for not being there, fine, but there is no excuse for an underperforming player to miss practice in a new system just because it's technically optional. It shows a lack of commitment.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
First, I thought our D was supposed to be a "hybrid 3-4." It's not the same system as before.

Notice any hybrid look to what Alabama did during the NC game? Dareus played football places before the Bills.

Third, did you watch Dareus play last year? He wasn't bad but he certainly wasn't the dominant player that most people think he can be. He certainly hasn't done anything yet to suggest he was worth the #3 overall pick. He obviously needs the practice. If he has a legit reason for not being there, fine, but there is no excuse for an underperforming player to miss practice in a new system just because it's technically optional. It shows a lack of commitment.

Yes I also watched him as a rookie in a 34 base where he was very good. Did you? He was poorly cast last year and put into a fit he never should of been in. What do you expect a 34 5 tech to do exactly as the #3 pick? He's not ever going to be a double digit sack guy, he's never going to lead the team in TFL's. That's not what he does.

And please save the sermon on what is excusable or not, or that it lacks commitment. You're making baseless accusations again.

He could skip every OTA until TC and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Dareus knows the system, and has shown he can perform in the 34 role he never should of been taken out of. He's one of the last guys I'm worried about under Pettine. If I'm wrong then so be it but freaking out over missed OTA's? Please.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Notice any hybrid look to what Alabama did during the NC game? Dareus played football places before the Bills.

Yes I also watched him as a rookie in a 34 base where he was very good. Did you? He was poorly cast last year and put into a fit he never should of been in. What do you expect a 34 5 tech to do exactly as the #3 pick? He's not ever going to be a double digit sack guy, he's never going to lead the team in TFL's. That's not what he does.

And please save the sermon on what is excusable or not, or that it lacks commitment. You're making baseless accusations again.

He could skip every OTA until TC and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Dareus knows the system, and has shown he can perform in the 34 role he never should of been taken out of. He's one of the last guys I'm worried about under Pettine. If I'm wrong then so be it but freaking out over missed OTA's? Please.

You're not going to convince me that players are going to get better by not practicing. I don't care what he did at Alabama- he can always get better at it.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
You're not going to convince me that players are going to get better by not practicing. I don't care what he did at Alabama- he can always get better at it.

Did I say that?

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Did I say that?

So, then, why are you arguing with me?

Players get better by practicing.
There are limited practice opportunities because of the CBA.
Dareus is missing one of the limited opportunities.

This is not defensible in any way.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
So, then, why are you arguing with me?

Players get better by practicing.
There are limited practice opportunities because of the CBA.
Dareus is missing one of the limited opportunities.

This is not defensible in any way.

Im arguing about the idiotic idea that him missing practice in any way harms him. And let's at least call this what it is, these are more like glorified walk throughs. There are no pads, no contact, and is what about half speed? I'm sure those interior lineman are getting A LOT better going from their three point stance to their two point stance with no contact...

Homegrown
05-23-2013, 06:46 PM
"Work Union, live better" - M Dareus on OTA's

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Im arguing about the idiotic idea that him missing practice in any way harms him. And let's at least call this what it is, these are more like glorified walk throughs. There are no pads, no contact, and is what about half speed? I'm sure those interior lineman are getting A LOT better going from their three point stance to their two point stance with no contact...

well, once again, he's not going to get better by NOT practicing.

If there's no benefit, then why are the other linemen there? Why are the other players there? Why do they bother holding them at all?

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
well, once again, he's not going to get better by NOT practicing.

If there's no benefit, then why are the other linemen there? Why are the other players there? Why do they bother holding them at all?

Some of them may be adjusting to new positions, some are rookies, some want to be with their teammates, hell I don't know maybe some got into a fight with their wife and wanted to get away for a couple of weeks. God forbid some of them may just enjoy football and want to be around the team. I can continue to make up reasons why. I could make up reasons why not. Which would you prefer next?

The NFL is a business first and foremost, do you realize how much they publicize these OTA's as compared to 10 years ago? Are you telling me that suddenly now they mean more than they did 10 years ago when nobody cared about them?

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Some of them may be adjusting to new positions, some are rookies, some want to be with their teammates, hell I don't know maybe some got into a fight with their wife and wanted to get away for a couple of weeks. God forbid some of them may just enjoy football and want to be around the team. I can continue to make up reasons why. I could make up reasons why not. Which would you prefer next?

The NFL is a business first and foremost, do you realize how much they publicize these OTA's as compared to 10 years ago? Are you telling me that suddenly now they mean more than they did 10 years ago when nobody cared about them?

Well there's a hell of a lot more media now than there was 10 years ago. And there are fewer OTA's now than there were 10 years ago because of the last two CBA's. So yeah, they very well could be more important.

And you said it yourself: the NFL's a business. They have to pay for these things- I'm sure the players at least get a per diem and probably have their lodging and transportation paid for as well. So, if the business spends the money on it, there must be some benefit to it- a benefit that Dareus is missing.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Well there's a hell of a lot more media now than there was 10 years ago. And there are fewer OTA's now than there were 10 years ago because of the last two CBA's. So yeah, they very well could be more important.

Please that's ridiculous.

And you said it yourself: the NFL's a business. They have to pay for these things- I'm sure the players at least get a per diem and probably have their lodging and transportation paid for as well. So, if the business spends the money on it, there must be some benefit to it- a benefit that Dareus is missing.

Yes the NFL's benefit is that network we all watch that is worth millions, and the billion plus dollar TV contracts they have. Oh yea and that combined with the fact the despite the NFL and NBA being in their semi-finals they are still the lead story when nothing at all is going on.

You're grasping.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Please that's ridiculous.

Yes the NFL's benefit is that network we all watch that is worth millions, and the billion plus dollar TV contracts they have. Oh yea and that combined with the fact the despite the NFL and NBA being in their semi-finals they are still the lead story when nothing at all is going on.

You're grasping.

Lmao? Pot, meet kettle.

Players get better by practicing. Businesses like NFL teams aren't going to spend money on things like these unless there's some benefit to it. And they've been doing it since long before NFL network. None of that is anywhere close to "grasping." Yeah, the media over-covers them. But the media making them seem more important than they are doesn't mean they have no importance whatsoever. You seem to lack the ability to make that distinction.

DraftBoy
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Lmao? Pot, meet kettle.

Players get better by practicing. Businesses like NFL teams aren't going to spend money on things like these unless there's some benefit to it. And they've been doing it since long before NFL network. None of that is anywhere close to "grasping." Yeah, the media over-covers them. But the media making them seem more important than they are doesn't mean they have no importance whatsoever. You seem to lack the ability to make that distinction.

This isn't really practice, please stop with that ridiculous charade. Yea I'm sure the thousands it costs them is hurting them as they pull in millions annually on those TV revenues year round.

OpIv37
05-23-2013, 07:42 PM
This isn't really practice, please stop with that ridiculous charade. Yea I'm sure the thousands it costs them is hurting them as they pull in millions annually on those TV revenues year round.

If it's all about TV revenue, then they wouldn't have done OTA's before there was NFL Network. But they did.

ublinkwescore
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Isn't that now mark Anderson's job?

TacklingDummy
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/05/22/marcell-dareus-has-no-excuse-for-missing-buffalo-bills-otas/

The guy should be there since he hasn't proven anything yet.

Rather of had any of the 4 players that were drafted after Dareus. Especially AJ Green.

Bert102176
05-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Hell the way he played last year it seemed like he was awol all but 1 game

alohabillsfan
05-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Darius NEEDS the practice, then and only then, maybe he will be a decent player, right now he is a disappointment. So yes, he does need the OTA's. its just lazy!

- - - Updated - - -

If this isn't practice can you explain the injuries league wide?

DynaPaul
05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Sorry Draftboy but you're wrong and I don't know why you've expended all this energy arguing with Op about it. I don't care what he did in Alabama, this is the NFL and this is a new coaching staff with a new and complex defense that he needs to learn. Just sitting around with an iPad isn't going to get all of the information in his mind and yes, the walkthroughs at half speed ARE important. Practice makes perfect, it's an old adage but very true. Everyone is right that he hasn't lived up to his top billing as a #3 draft pick and I'd hope that he'd want to be a leader on this team and get his feet wet in this system from the get go. As fans we have every right to criticize because we pay the salaries through our purchasing of merchandise, TV packages, and game tickets.

gebobs
05-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Right. This isn't a story if he's perennial All-Pro and the Bills are in the playoffs every year.

superbills
05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I can see the points on both sides (how's that for politicking!) but I would think it would be important for him to be here, if not for his own benefit, then for the benefit of the new coach, new system, and for the D-unit to come together and fully understand who's going to do what and when. Why ANY of these workouts should be optional is beyond me. If 2 or 3 months off isn't enough for you then I would have to question your work ethic over all. I realize that it's CBA and league rules crap that mandates these workouts be optional, but I would expect that "professionals" would take every opportunity to be there with their team. Now, if there is truly some conflict that he couldn't reschedule or whatever, then fine. But if he's just bumming in 'Bama with his buds then I call shenanigans.

justasportsfan
05-24-2013, 10:23 AM

In this case it means a lot because Dareus needs to get the playbook down and chemistry with whoever he ends up playing with sooner than later.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/23/nicks-ota-boycott-causes-unexpected-problems-for-giants/

Under the pre-2011 labor deals, coaches routinely made public comments suggesting that voluntary workouts aren’t truly voluntary, and the NFL and the union rarely if ever did anything about it. As time went by, with more coaches saying things like “he should be here” and the league and the NFLPA doing nothing, coaches were emboldened to keep doing it.
The new CBA, however, added significant restrictions to offseason workouts, along with a clear commitment to eradicate contact from offseason drills. The CBA also repeated the unequivocal statement that “[n]o Club official may indicate to a player that the Club’s offseason workout program or classroom instruction is not voluntary.”

Last week, Jets coach Rex Ryan danced toward that line by calling out linebacker Quinton Coples (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7438/quinton-coples) for his perceived lack of effort at voluntary lifting sessions. This week, Coughlin jumped over the line by saying that Nicks and every other player “should be here.” If the league and union allow those comments to stand uncorrected, other coaches will follow suit, either this year or in the future.

OTAs being optional is something the players clearly wanted very much. I don't blame them for taking advantage of that, but again, that puts the onus on Dareus to be ready when the mandatory stuff begins.

TedMock
05-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd be shocked if actually has no idea about the playbook. It's also foolish for all these people to automatically assume that because he is not at OTA's, he is just sitting around playing xbox and not taking part in any sort of training. The lazy accusations are 100% without merit. He MAY very well be doing these things and that would be awful. Of course there is zero evidence anywhere of that going on. To suggest it is, really, is no different than to say "he's out there every single day busting his butt..." No proof on either side and assumptions based solely on opinions are nothing more than ignorance. His play tailed off last year after dealing with some issues. Okay. Still not relevant to missing 2013 OTA's, but some will argue it is. So many paint all this as simple black and white, if-then absolute scenarios. Have fun in that world. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Here, on planet earth, things don't quite work that way. I would obviously prefer they all show up to OTA's, but they are not mandatory and we see players miss every year and follow up with good seasons. Worry about it when it matters. It's all on what he is doing to be ready for camp. We'll know soon enough.

Novacane
05-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Explain how he isn't. Has he not been around suddenly for the last two years?

Apparently you have a different definition of established than I do.

HAMMER
05-24-2013, 11:43 AM
He needs to get his fat, lazy arse to practice and learn the new system with the rest if his teammates.

OpIv37
05-24-2013, 11:53 AM
I'd be shocked if actually has no idea about the playbook. It's also foolish for all these people to automatically assume that because he is not at OTA's, he is just sitting around playing xbox and not taking part in any sort of training. The lazy accusations are 100% without merit. He MAY very well be doing these things and that would be awful. Of course there is zero evidence anywhere of that going on. To suggest it is, really, is no different than to say "he's out there every single day busting his butt..." No proof on either side and assumptions based solely on opinions are nothing more than ignorance. His play tailed off last year after dealing with some issues. Okay. Still not relevant to missing 2013 OTA's, but some will argue it is. So many paint all this as simple black and white, if-then absolute scenarios. Have fun in that world. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Here, on planet earth, things don't quite work that way. I would obviously prefer they all show up to OTA's, but they are not mandatory and we see players miss every year and follow up with good seasons. Worry about it when it matters. It's all on what he is doing to be ready for camp. We'll know soon enough.

First, it most certainly is relevant. If you are not doing as well at something as you might like, then you practice more to get better. It doesn't matter if it's a sport or music or typing or something you do at your job- you put the time in to get better.

Second, Dareus may very well be working out and practicing at home- that's not the same thing as practicing with his teammates and learning the new system. He's had almost 5 full months to practice at home. This is one of the few opportunities to practice with the team.

stuckincincy
05-24-2013, 12:13 PM
I guess Dareus is watching the xbox version of this... :whistling

New Bills defense geared to create confusion May 23, 2013 4:15 PM ET

"Emphasizing surprise and versatility, Buffalo Bills first-year defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is unveiling a new scheme designed to keep opponents guessing. If that leads to some confusion among the Bills in identifying what position they're playing, Pettine's fine with that, too.

"`I don't know,"' he said, smiling, "is a good answer."

"Pettine was referring to comments made by several veterans in sharing their first impressions of a defense geared toward creating mismatches by having players learn multiple roles. It's a distinct departure from the comparatively simple scheme they played last year under former coordinator Dave Wannstedt.

"Extremely different," defensive end Mario Williams said. "There's times, you know, I couldn't tell you what position I play exactly, because I really don't know." Added veteran jack-of-all-trades linebacker Bryan Scott: "It's like I'm a rookie all over again. I had to go to Office Depot and get more flash cards."."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22290396/new-bills-defense-geared-to-create-confusion

TedMock
05-24-2013, 12:14 PM
First, it most certainly is relevant. If you are not doing as well at something as you might like, then you practice more to get better. It doesn't matter if it's a sport or music or typing or something you do at your job- you put the time in to get better.

Second, Dareus may very well be working out and practicing at home- that's not the same thing as practicing with his teammates and learning the new system. He's had almost 5 full months to practice at home. This is one of the few opportunities to practice with the team.

I understand that, and I do not completely disagree. What we do not know is why he's not there. For all I know, there may be a few very technical aspects of his game that he's working on. In those instances, jumping onto the field is not necessarily better. It could be, depending on what areas he's focusing on right now in his training. As a former speed coach, telling a guy to just go out and practice sprinting with his team would never have worked. If his issues were arm action, for example, I may not have him doing a whole bunch of running at all for a while. Every detail gets worked and re-worked. The body needs to be trained on every aspect until every movement is natural. Sometimes diving in results in reverting back to old habits. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's that simple. Of course, we'd all like him to be there. I just do not believe that being there automatically means that he's trying harder, or increasing his chances of getting better. Without knowing the details, I just can't reasonably make that determination. He will most likely be on time for training camp and will have a ton of time to work with his team. I'm not the least bit concerned right now. The obvious difference between speed competitions, or fighting, and sports like football is that you have to get used to the people around you. As a veteran, I hope he can do that between June and September. If not, he has other issues than what we're talking about.

OpIv37
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
I guess Dareus is watching the xbox version of this... :whistling

New Bills defense geared to create confusion May 23, 2013 4:15 PM ET

"Emphasizing surprise and versatility, Buffalo Bills first-year defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is unveiling a new scheme designed to keep opponents guessing. If that leads to some confusion among the Bills in identifying what position they're playing, Pettine's fine with that, too.

"`I don't know,"' he said, smiling, "is a good answer."

"Pettine was referring to comments made by several veterans in sharing their first impressions of a defense geared toward creating mismatches by having players learn multiple roles. It's a distinct departure from the comparatively simple scheme they played last year under former coordinator Dave Wannstedt.

"Extremely different," defensive end Mario Williams said. "There's times, you know, I couldn't tell you what position I play exactly, because I really don't know." Added veteran jack-of-all-trades linebacker Bryan Scott: "It's like I'm a rookie all over again. I had to go to Office Depot and get more flash cards."."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22290396/new-bills-defense-geared-to-create-confusion

Isn't every D geared to create confusion?

Well, every D except Wannstadt's "rush 4 linemen straight up the field and drop everyone else into a 2 deep zone no matter what" D.

TedMock
05-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Isn't every D geared to create confusion?

Well, every D except Wannstadt's "rush 4 linemen straight up the field and drop everyone else into a 2 deep zone no matter what" D.

I heard Nigel Bradham on the radio actually say that last year "...we basically only had 4-3 and nickel..."

Beebe's Kid
05-26-2013, 02:00 PM
I watched an interesting documentary on Bo Jackson a while back...the one from ESPN; You Don't Know Bo...it discussed how he would probably be punished because he wasn't a big practice guy. I love how so many here are quick to jump on a guy for missing optional practice. He was there...then he wasn't...that isn't good for you die hards that put in day after day after day looking for something to complain about.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, he should be there but I am not so concerned yet as its a voluntary workout. However, if he misses mandatory camps then I say start fining and/or suspending him from games. I, as others seem to be, am a bit worried about his mental well being right now because of all the death in his family. That being said, I give him a pass because from all the counseling research I've read about losing a loved one, it normally takes between six months and a year to put the worst aspects of grieving behind you. As such, he might not be fully out of the woods yet, but I expect him to be ready to kick some ass by training camp. Really, I don't care if doesn't have technique down, I just want him to play with passion and fury.

John Doe
05-27-2013, 05:45 AM
I watched an interesting documentary on Bo Jackson a while back...the one from ESPN; You Don't Know Bo...it discussed how he would probably be punished because he wasn't a big practice guy. I love how so many here are quick to jump on a guy for missing optional practice. He was there...then he wasn't...that isn't good for you die hards that put in day after day after day looking for something to complain about.

Is it a big deal that Dareus is missing some OTAs? Probably not.

Is he doing everything in his power to improve the team? Probably not.

Bert102176
05-27-2013, 06:19 AM
It wouldn't be a big deal if he wouldn't of quit in most of them games last year watch the footage of him last year he quit on almost every play. He had one good game last year and that was the game after his brother died.

Bert102176
05-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Not to mention it's a whole new defensive scheme and coaching staff

swiper
05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
It wouldn't be a big deal if he wouldn't of quit in most of them games last year watch the footage of him last year he quit on almost every play. He had one good game last year and that was the game after his brother died.

I think you've gotta give the guy this a little rope. Let's see what he can do in a defense that doesn't have Dave Wannstedt involved. I wouldn't read too much into his not being at OTAs - especially given the recent tragedy in his family. I'm sure he realizes the football is his bread and butter.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-27-2013, 08:36 AM

To be fair, the entire defense quit on almost every play last year, especially during the 49ers game that defined last season. There was no fire anywhere, and what you saw were some disgruntled employees clocking in, doing the bare minimum and clocking out every game. I will be willing to give Dareus mandatory workouts, training camp, and a couple pre-season games before I proclaim his doom for this upcoming season.

BertSquirtgum
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Dareus = fat lazy slob. Very disheartening because I was elated when the Bills drafted him.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Dareus = fat lazy slob. Very disheartening because I was elated when the Bills drafted him.

You could have said the same about everyone else on that D last year. I saw very little effort from anyone. With good coaching and a culture change he could become what we all hope he does. Running the same ****ing vanilla **** every down that all your opponents have all the game film on will demoralize you.

kingJofNYC
05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
He's got balls pulling this ****.

No worries, they won't be coddling this **** going forward. Dude will be on a short leash.

kishoph
05-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Dareus is a fat lazy slob. I'm not surprised he's not at OTA's starting to get comfortable with the new defense.

He needs to get his fat, lazy arse to practice and learn the new system with the rest if his teammates.

Dareus has not played to his full potential, but saying he's a fat lazy slob or a bust is total BS. Dareus is only 23 years old and going into his 3rd season. He had 26 solo stops, 5.5 sacks and 6 passes defensed last season, not bad numbers at all.

TacklingDummy
05-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Dareus has not played to his full potential, but saying he's a fat lazy slob or a bust is total BS. Dareus is only 23 years old and going into his 3rd season. He had 26 solo stops, 5.5 sacks and 6 passes defensed last season, not bad numbers at all.

Marcell Dareus might not be the worst non-QB pick in the 1st round of the 2011 NFL Draft but he certainly is in the top 3.

Compared to the player who was drafted 4 slots after him...Aldon Smith..., 23 years old, 50 solo stops, 19.5 sacks, 1 PD, last year.

or the player drafted 8 slots after him...JJ Watt...24 years old, 69 solo stops, 12 sacks, 16 PD, last year.

How about 1 pick after Dareus? Answer: AJ Green, 24 years old, 97 Rec., 1350 yards, 11 TDs, last year.

2 picks after Dareus? Answer: Patrick Peterson, 22 years old, 55 solo tackles, 1 sack, 7 INTS, 16 PD, last year

3 picks after Dareus? Julio Jones, 24 years old, 79 receptions, 1198 yards, 10 TDs, last year.

Hell, even 23 year old Corey Liuget, picked 18th by the Chargers, has 36 solo tackles, 7 sacks, 9 PD, last year.

13th pick Nick Fairly, 24 years old, 27 solo stops, 5.5 sacks, 1 PD, in 13 games last year.

14th pick: Robert Quinn, 23 years old, 24 solo stops, 10.5 sacks, 2 PD, last year.

gebobs
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I think you've gotta give the guy this a little rope. Let's see what he can do in a defense that doesn't have Dave Wannstedt involved. I wouldn't read too much into his not being at OTAs - especially given the recent tragedy in his family. I'm sure he realizes the football is his bread and butter.

So what's the latest tragedy for this guy that he isn't doing everything in his ability to get his career back on track?

Bert102176
05-28-2013, 10:17 AM
I never wanted him, I wanted von miller or aj green

kishoph
05-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Marcell Dareus might not be the worst non-QB pick in the 1st round of the 2011 NFL Draft but he certainly is in the top 3.

Compared to the player who was drafted 4 slots after him...Aldon Smith..., 23 years old, 50 solo stops, 19.5 sacks, 1 PD, last year.

or the player drafted 8 slots after him...JJ Watt...24 years old, 69 solo stops, 12 sacks, 16 PD, last year.

How about 1 pick after Dareus? Answer: AJ Green, 24 years old, 97 Rec., 1350 yards, 11 TDs, last year.

2 picks after Dareus? Answer: Patrick Peterson, 22 years old, 55 solo tackles, 1 sack, 7 INTS, 16 PD, last year

3 picks after Dareus? Julio Jones, 24 years old, 79 receptions, 1198 yards, 10 TDs, last year.

Hell, even 23 year old Corey Liuget, picked 18th by the Chargers, has 36 solo tackles, 7 sacks, 9 PD, last year.

13th pick Nick Fairly, 24 years old, 27 solo stops, 5.5 sacks, 1 PD, in 13 games last year.

14th pick: Robert Quinn, 23 years old, 24 solo stops, 10.5 sacks, 2 PD, last year.

You're comparing the numbers of a WR to a DT, if you look at the 2 DT's that you have listed, in the 2 years that they have all played Dareus has better overall numbers and the Murder of Dareus's brother may not affected you last year, but I'm damn sure it affected him.

gebobs
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
You're comparing the numbers of a WR to a DT, if you look at the 2 DT's that you have listed, in the 2 years that they have all played Dareus has better overall numbers and the Murder of Dareus's brother may not affected you last year, but I'm damn sure it affected him.
Of the top 7 picks in 2011, six have found their way to the Pro Bowl. Guess who didn't.

I hope to hell that Dareus never uses his brother's death as an excuse the way people do here. At some point, it should be weeks at most and not months, one needs to suck it up and earn your coin. If he's moping around so much that it affects his game, we should all downgrade our expectations immediately. You need to be strong in more ways than just the physical to play in the NFL. Last year, his brother. This year, who knows, maybe he'll get all emo that his girlfriend stiffed him and is making off with the ring.

While that's up in the air, when you have underperformed in your first two season, you show your commitment at every turn you can. Excusing his absence because it's voluntary is symptomatic of the air of mediocrity that pervades this franchise.

mayotm
05-28-2013, 02:40 PM
For the record, Dareus is back at practice this week after missing last week due to personal reasons:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

Night Train
05-28-2013, 05:31 PM
For the record, Dareus is back at practice this week after missing last week due to personal reasons:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

There goes the latest created crisis of Nothing. :rofl:

swiper
05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
So what's the latest tragedy for this guy that he isn't doing everything in his ability to get his career back on track?

See post #82.

This was nothing more than a chance for certain fans to over-react about nothing.

swiper
05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
While that's up in the air, when you have underperformed in your first two season, you show your commitment at every turn you can. Excusing his absence because it's voluntary is symptomatic of the air of mediocrity that pervades this franchise.

Nobody excused him for anything. Again, he missed a couple of days. I'm sure the coaches know exactly why. And they're under no obligation to share that with the fans. So now that he's back your posts look like you're really over-reacting over not much at all. And he hasn't underperformed really as someone pointed out earlier. He's not one of the Bills that should be getting a ton of grief. Just because he's not Kyle Williams in his second season? I don't get it.

JohnnyGold
05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
since hypothetical scenarios are the currency of conversation in this thread, here's one:

somewhere, in some alternate universe that split from ours, marcell dareus tore his achiles in an OTA today, just like crabtree last week. he's out for the year. rather than debating whether or not he should be there, message board posters on twobillsdrive.com are arguing about the merits of marone's practices: is he pushing our guys too hard? or is this organization truly snake bitten.

just be glad we're having this debate instead.

BertSquirtgum
05-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Until Dareus proves otherwise, he's a fat lazy slob in my book.

kishoph
05-29-2013, 02:59 AM
I hope to hell that Dareus never uses his brother's death as an excuse the way people do here. At some point, it should be weeks at most and not months, one needs to suck it up and earn your coin.

Your 19 year old younger sibling is murdered and you should be over it in a couple of weeks ? Maybe I'm screwed up, but I know that if anyone in my immediate Family was murdered, it would be a while before I could function at my best or even "normally." I give Dareus credit for not even missing 1 game.

mayotm
05-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Until Dareus proves otherwise, he's a fat lazy slob in my book.I find it interesting that you criticize Coastal over his repetitive comments about Mario Williams. Yet, you did the same exact thing with Fitzpatrick. Now you're doing the same thing with Dareus. I'm sure you lack the intellect to see the hypocrisy in that.

MoormanRules8
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Marrone stated that Dareus was sitting out with a good reason. I trust the coaches to determine that over fans who know none of the details.

gebobs
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Your 19 year old younger sibling is murdered and you should be over it in a couple of weeks ?
Over it? No, I never said he had to be over it. Let him grieve all he wants. Does that preclude him from preparing for the games or performing on the field? At some point he has a job to do and gets paid some nice cabbage to do it mind you.

Maybe I'm screwed up, but I know that if anyone in my immediate Family was murdered, it would be a while before I could function at my best or even "normally."How long would it be before your boss told you to buck up and start producing? It's been nine months and people are still using this as an excuse.

I give Dareus credit for not even missing 1 game.
Why? Did that help him get over it? Did it help the team? If he wasn't ready to return, he should have taken a leave of absence. I'm sure Ralph would have gladly had his checks mailed to Birmingham.

gebobs
05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Nobody excused him for anything. Again, he missed a couple of days. I'm sure the coaches know exactly why. And they're under no obligation to share that with the fans. So now that he's back your posts look like you're really over-reacting over not much at all.
Of course. I understand the coaches don't need to divulge that information and players understandably like privacy. And that's going to lead to speculation. No one's more guilty of rampant speculation here on any subject than me.

But to be clear, in this case I'm just taking exception to people still using his brother's death as an excuse.

K-Gun
05-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Dareus looked HUGE in the OTA video. 350+ I'd guess. He needs to add some strength, but I can see him becoming the 3-4 NT that can shut it down. 16479

swiper
05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
ROFL. Makes his helmeted head look tiny.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-30-2013, 12:03 AM
OMG is that a reverse bobble head? Seriously, I hope he can get down to 330 and muscle up. If the new coaching staff can light a fire under that boy's ass, its gonna be a nice turnaround on D.

DraftBoy
05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
“I had stuff I had to take care of,” said Dareus as to why he was unable to attend the voluntary practices last week. “As a man, everybody has their responsibility. I had my responsibility I had to take care of. I did that, and now I’m back here with the guys, working on what we’re going to work on.

“I stayed in my playbook, stayed in shape. Just came out here ready to run.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/OTA-Practice-Notes---Day-7/8f42e796-3046-4cc3-ad7f-f60d4bcc14f0

FREAK OUT!!

gebobs
05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
"I stayed in my playbook, stayed in shape."
Round's a shape, I guess. ;-)

DraftBoy
05-30-2013, 02:20 PM

In a 34, you better believe it is.

TedMock
05-30-2013, 04:53 PM

I love that line. I use it often. In all fairness, he's an NFL defensive tackle. How many 3-4 DT's are in bikini shape? I have to go look at pictures of fat guys now to find out. I'll start with the svelt Vince Wilfork.

BillsFever21
05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
It wouldn't be that much of a deal if we didn't have an all new coaching staff along with a new defense. He needs to be there getting adjusted to the new coaches and system. They have them for a reason and it's no coincidence teams with a new coach gets to hold extra OTA's so they can get accustomed to each other.

We're instituting a new defense and two of the players we're going to depend on isn't at the OTA's meeting their new coaches and learning with their teammates. Dareus is doing god knows whatever and Byrd is out because we can't come to a contract extension with him.

They hold these so they can make sure players are staying in shape and so they can stay sharp over the offseason. It's just like anything when you haven't done it in a while you lose some of your edge and forget some things until you get back in the swing of things again. The OTA's allow the players to get back up to speed so when training camp starts they are ready to go and get prepared for the season instead of learning their schemes and positions.

It's not as big of a deal if you have a proven veteran with a returning coaching staff but when you have a #3 pick in the draft that has underperformed and needs to learn a new defense on top of it he should be there. This will be his 3rd DC in three years and he needs to be there with the rest of the guys and gelling with his teammates in a new defense. I can see missing some but missing them all just shows you don't care very much.

gebobs
05-30-2013, 05:21 PM
I love that line. I use it often. In all fairness, he's an NFL defensive tackle. How many 3-4 DT's are in bikini shape? I have to go look at pictures of fat guys now to find out. I'll start with the svelt Vince Wilfork.
Oh for sure. As you guys know, I was making a funny.

But you folks also know that I am critical of Dareus. I know he's young yet. Maybe I'm holding him to too high a standard.

gebobs
05-31-2013, 12:20 AM
In a 34, you better believe it is.
I effing hope so. No one wants to see this guy succeed like me. No one. I think he has the tools to do it physically.

DraftBoy
05-31-2013, 06:05 AM
I effing hope so. No one wants to see this guy succeed like me. No one. I think he has the tools to do it physically.

Will help this year putting him back in a scheme he's a perfect fit for. He never should of been forced into a 43 last year.

Fixxxer
05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Until Dareus proves otherwise, he's a fat lazy slob in my book.

Is that a coloring book?

swiper
05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
If you're going to accuse Dareus of being fat and lazy then perhaps the Bills have a younger version of Pat Williams or Sam Adams.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-01-2013, 06:12 AM
I think the scary thing is dareus can be as good as he wants. he is a more powerful jj watt.... its up to him. he can be one of the greatest interior lineman of all time, but he has to put in the work. he can be at dt what bruce was at de...

swiper
06-01-2013, 06:35 AM
I think the scary thing is dareus can be as good as he wants. he is a more powerful jj watt.... its up to him. he can be one of the greatest interior lineman of all time, but he has to put in the work. he can be at dt what bruce was at de...

Let's see what he does under the tutelage of Marrone and Pettine. Both are "let's go out and get it boys" sort of coaches. I don't know that the defensive staffs of the past two or three years did him any good. He may really excel under the new staff. Have to wait and see.

But I certainly agree with you that I don't think we've seen his ceiling yet. He's got potential yet to be uncovered.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-01-2013, 06:42 AM
off topic, but the player who could break out and be incredibly dominant inside pass rusher is Carrington...

- - - Updated - - -

im positive we wont be able to resign him, especially if he breaks out...