The Bills pulled off a draft day smokescreen on Barkley and Nassib?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

The Bills pulled off a draft day smokescreen on Barkley and Nassib?

The 2013 NFL Draft has not been kind to Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib. The two quarterbacks highlight Chris Wesseling's nose-diving prospects from Friday night.

"Early in the week, reports surfaced that USC's Matt Barkley and Syracuse's Ryan Nassib could go as high as No. 8 overall because the Buffalo Bills didn't want to surrender a 2014 first-round pick to trade back in the draft for a quarterback...As it turns out, the Bills manufactured the 2013 NFL Draft's most effective smokescreen, ignoring Nassib and Barkley while picking up Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel at No. 16 overall Thursday night."

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: The Bills pulled off a draft day smokescreen on Barkley and Nassib?

Where there's smoke...

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Of course we are not in a position to know any back door murmurings or rumors that Nix might have planted (as he has done in the past, but on the surface, all it appears the Bills did prior to the draft was talk in a very non-commital way about who they liked in the draft. To listen to them, they liked just about everybody. When all the speculation percolated prior to the draft about Nassib or Barkley, Buffalo was mum, and they are better than some teams about keeping unintentional leaks to a minimum.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
        Of course we are not in a position to know any back door murmurings or rumors that Nix might have planted (as he has done in the past, but on the surface, all it appears the Bills did prior to the draft was talk in a very non-commital way about who they liked in the draft. To listen to them, they liked just about everybody. When all the speculation percolated prior to the draft about Nassib or Barkley, Buffalo was mum, and they are better than some teams about keeping unintentional leaks to a minimum.
        Exactly, that is why I think it is total BS when anyone thinks they have any idea about how negotiations are going with Byrd. The Bill have said they will not negotiate the contract in the press & I have no doubt that NOBODY knows anything as to how those talks are going.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I got news. A ton of posters here bought into it (Barkley,Nassib) and hammered anyone who differed with their "expert" line of thinking.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SabreEleven
            • Aug 2002

It's the Bills so Barkley and Nassib will turn into superstars and Manuel will be a bust...its the Buffalo way.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

It might have been a smokescreen, but based on where Barkley and Nassib were eventually drafted, I don't know how effective it was. It isn't like anyone jumped in front of them to draft either. If that's what they did, they were pulling a smokescreen and no one was really paying attention.

They got the guy they think has the best chance of becoming their franchise Qb. If he turns out to be, it doesn't matter if he was drafted in the mid first, low 1st or 2nd.

Whether they got him in the mid first, low 1st or 2nd, if he busts, he'll still be considered a bust.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                • May 2009

I always wanted Manuel and was ecstatic when they drafted him. I truly believe he's our franchise qb.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by SabreEleven View Post
                  It's the Bills so Barkley and Nassib will turn into superstars and Manuel will be a bust...its the Buffalo way.
                  Bite your tongue.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                    It might have been a smokescreen, but based on where Barkley and Nassib were eventually drafted, I don't know how effective it was. It isn't like anyone jumped in front of them to draft either. If that's what they did, they were pulling a smokescreen and no one was really paying attention.

They got the guy they think has the best chance of becoming their franchise Qb. If he turns out to be, it doesn't matter if he was drafted in the mid first, low 1st or 2nd.

Whether they got him in the mid first, low 1st or 2nd, if he busts, he'll still be considered a bust.
                    It was effective because if any team had thoughts of drafting Manuel, they did not jump ahead of the Bills to do so because NOBODY thought the Bills had any interest in EJ.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

I can't really imagine a team trading up to get Manuel tbh

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                        I can't really imagine a team trading up to get Manuel tbh
                        Well, before the draft, you couldn't imagine the Bills drafting him at #16 either. Does not mean it could not happen.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          Well, before the draft, you couldn't imagine the Bills drafting him at #16 either. Does not mean it could not happen.
                          Who would have taken him? Most of the QB needy teams had already passed him up and there were trade down offers all over the place.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            • May 2009

Who would have taken him? Most of the QB needy teams had already passed him up and there were trade down offers all over the place.
                            Horse****.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

The Eagles for one, the Jets for another are two very REAL posibilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X