PDA

View Full Version : Why the Bills Suck

Mike
05-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Hate to go into this topic however it should serve our rosé colored glasses friends a very friendly reminder. When the below changes, so will the Bills fortunes:

3 Bills Myths
1) Building through the Draft: this only works if you draft well and resign your 'top' players.

a) Levitre: became a top guard and the Bills let him walk in FA due to $$$ reasons. Then we let his backup go, and created one big hole.

b) Peters: became an elite LT and we traded him for a low 1st round pick all because of $$$!

c) Lynch: we had a PB RB in Lynch yet we drafted another top RB and got diddly squat for this pro bowler. This is a typical Bills moves. Spiller is an exceptional talent and if they were going to play this game, they should have traded Lynch a year before he left the team after comming off of a steller PB season and recieved top value for him. I saw the writing on the wall and even posted a thread about it: trade lynch- instead they waited and got nothing in return.

d) Kelsy & Co: signing (FA) and resigning bad players to big contracts instead of putting $$ into good players.

* Byrd: will Bills resign him or let him go? If they let him walk in FA, it will be yet another very good player we let walk.

****Now if the Bills -sucky Bills- cant afford to resign a Guard & Safty how can Denver, SF, NE, etc... All afford to have all star teams???

2) Hiring Within: For years Bills have hired GMs from within. It has not worked and chances are it won't work.

3) Were smarter than rest of the NFL: when a team as poor as the Bills think they are smarted in draft, FA, and hiring than the rest of the NFL your BS sensor should go on high alert. The results are picking a Maybin, Flowers, hiring DJ, Gaily, etc...

Hopefully EJ doesn't fall into this category.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-29-2013, 03:57 AM
the bills have sucked for 1 reason, and one small sub reason the past 13 years. no franchise qb, and poor pass rushers until last year. simple as that

Night Train
05-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Hate to go into this topic however, it's that time of my month.

Summer reruns already ? (yawn). This act is beyond played.

Time to go outside, get some fresh air & grill.

OpIv37
05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
the bills have sucked for 1 reason, and one small sub reason the past 13 years. no franchise qb, and poor pass rushers until last year. simple as that

The Bills have sucked for one reason and one reason only: Ralph Wilson. He won't spend on top coaches, and even if he wants to, he has created a situation where top coaches and players don't want to come here. He constantly hires from within, he meddles, he's cheap, and he has an inner circle of yes-men who are never held accountable.

Buffalo has managed to find maybe 2 franchise QB's in 53 years- Kemp and Kelly. The only consistent person in charge in that time span is Ralph. His cheapness and blind loyalty and bad decisions are what holds this team back. I like some of the things that the team has done this off-season, but I don't think anything will really be different as long as Ralph and/or his lackey Russ Brandon are in charge.

Like Mike said, the Byrd and Levitre situations are proof that nothing has really changed.

justasportsfan
05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Myth no. 4
The Bills have sucked for one reason and one reason only: Ralph Wilson. He won't spend on top coaches,
Bills have sucked because Ralph listened to the GM's who hired the wrong coaches.

OpIv37
05-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Myth no. 4
Bills have sucked because Ralph listened to the GM's who hired the wrong coaches.

And who hired the GM's? Ralph. He hires yes-men from his inner circle and rarely goes outside the organization.

gr8slayer
05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
The fish rots from the head down, #1 issue in Buffalo? Ralph C. Wilson Jr.

justasportsfan
05-29-2013, 09:32 AM
And who hired the GM's? Ralph. He hires yes-men from his inner circle and rarely goes outside the organization.

I wasn't talking about Ralph hiring the wrong GM's. I will fault him for that. And I agree it's mostly Ralph's fault except for you implying that Ralph won't spend on expensive coaches. We've gone through this already. He wanted Sherman , Levy wanted Jauron. He wanted to go for Shanahan, Cowher and Gruden . They all said no thanks. I agree none of them wanted to play for Ralph but that still doesn't mean Ralph wasn't willing to pay.

As for Donahoe, Ralph would have said yes to anything Donahoe wanted. Everything from Hiring Drew , Milloy, Spikes and co (who weren't cheap) . The problem there was Ralph had no way of knowing that Donahoe was damaged by the power struggle he had lost to Cowher in Pitts. That's the reason why they hired yes man's to Donahoe.

Mike
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
In any organization the ultimate responsibilities fall on the ownership, board of directors/CEO, etc....

Personally, after Donehue I think Ralph has coasted by with the main focus being financial. He is 94 years old and chances are that he won't see a champion in buffalo in his lifetime regardless of what he does.

better days
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Question: Who sucks more, the Bills or some of their fans?

The Jokeman
05-29-2013, 01:11 PM

I should make this singnature but the first thing in the term in franchise QB, is franchise. Build a franchise and you can win a Super Bowl even with Trent Dilfer at QB.

Historian
05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
I would add Fergy to that list, OP,but you are basically spot-on.

Joe Fo Sho
05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Question: Who sucks more, the Bills or some of their fans?

Bills fans have to get some sort of pass if they've put up with mediocrity for the past 15 years or more and still are die hard enough to contribute to fan forums. So, I would say that the Bills suck more.

HAMMER
05-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Another D-Bag thread reminding us all of how we should be miserable, piss off.

ServoBillieves
05-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Did anyone mention that Ralph is the reason this team sucks yet?

Generalissimus Gibby
05-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Did anyone mention that Ralph is the reason this team sucks yet?

Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank he's not.

Extremebillsfan247
05-30-2013, 04:40 AM
Hate to go into this topic however it should serve our rosé colored glasses friends a very friendly reminder. When the below changes, so will the Bills fortunes:

3 Bills Myths
1) Building through the Draft: this only works if you draft well and resign your 'top' players.

a) Levitre: became a top guard and the Bills let him walk in FA due to $$$ reasons. Then we let his backup go, and created one big hole.

b) Peters: became an elite LT and we traded him for a low 1st round pick all because of $$$!

c) Lynch: we had a PB RB in Lynch yet we drafted another top RB and got diddly squat for this pro bowler. This is a typical Bills moves. Spiller is an exceptional talent and if they were going to play this game, they should have traded Lynch a year before he left the team after comming off of a steller PB season and recieved top value for him. I saw the writing on the wall and even posted a thread about it: trade lynch- instead they waited and got nothing in return.

d) Kelsy & Co: signing (FA) and resigning bad players to big contracts instead of putting $$ into good players.

* Byrd: will Bills resign him or let him go? If they let him walk in FA, it will be yet another very good player we let walk.

****Now if the Bills -sucky Bills- cant afford to resign a Guard & Safty how can Denver, SF, NE, etc... All afford to have all star teams???

2) Hiring Within: For years Bills have hired GMs from within. It has not worked and chances are it won't work.

3) Were smarter than rest of the NFL: when a team as poor as the Bills think they are smarted in draft, FA, and hiring than the rest of the NFL your BS sensor should go on high alert. The results are picking a Maybin, Flowers, hiring DJ, Gaily, etc...

These types of threads seem to pop up every year like clockwork.
http://i.eatliver.com/2012/9091.jpg:lol:

X-Era
05-30-2013, 06:47 AM

3 Bills Myths

1) This simply isn't true anymore. You gave one name and then listed a host of others from previous regimes. Levitre is really the only guy we let walk. Stevie, Fitz (not the best move), Freddy, Kyle Williams (multiple times) to name a few.

2) I agree with this. Levy was a bad move. Nix was a good move IMO. Whaley was from outside.

3) This is a dumb statement that can't be proven. To say the Bills thought they were smarter than everyone else when they drafted Maybin for example can only be proven by showing that the other teams thought he was worth way less than Bills did. You can't prove that.

Bill Cody
05-30-2013, 12:11 PM
This post is a douche.

1) We drafted terrible for a decade. Show me the list of players we failed to resign that went on to star elsewhere. Levitre is a nice player but if you look at the Patriots they let a laundry list of good players walk. Every case is individual. Or are you saying we should just pay Levitre or anyone else whatever they ask? This makes no sense. You create leverage in negotiations by building quality depth from within. You do that by drafting well over a period of years. Then when you do lose a player or players WHICH YOU WILL it's not the end of the world.

a) see above. It remains to be seen how big the hole is.

b) We tried to sign Peters and offered to make him one of the highest paid tackles in the league. He wanted to leave. We got a decent return for him. Personally I have zero regrets about that move. Zero.

c) There are 32 teams in the league. If Lynch was so attractive where were the offers? Or was it that Buddy just took the worst one to screw us? Lynch is talented but he was also a pain in the butt here and he had a poor attitude. Some of that is on the lack of a winning culture here but a team is bigger than one guy. I don't think you can tolerate I ME MY guys in football. Again I supported moving him and we got what we could get. Period.

d) Kelsey got overpaid. It's not like we were near the cap. It's not like we had another player out there that we passed on because we resigned him. Kelsey tried hard and he was a good team mate. He's the kind of guy you like on your team until you draft a better option- when you do you upgrade. This tells us less about the Bills philosophy than it does about the reality of our roster at the time.
*Byrd- So do you have one info on what's been offered to Byrd? Anything at all? Maybe his agent is the problem. Or is that not possible?

2) It will work if you hire the right guy. It won't work if you hire outside and hire the wrong guy. The quality of the candidate is the key. We should not rule out talent inside or outside the organization. But if you have talented people inisde it makes sense to promote them, builds loyalty. That's how the Patriots do it most of the time.

3) You're lumping a bunch of different GM's together that are very different people. Tom Donahoe was smart but he did have some of that "I'm smarter than the rest of you" with picks like McGahee and Losman. Nix? He's actually a super conservative drafter. And as for the bad coaches let's get real. We have a 106 year old owner that likes to meddle with a bad team in a cold climate. How does that attact more the Jauron's and Gailey's of the world? If Ralph woke up tomorrow and decided he gave a **** about the future of the Bills he'd sell the team local and that would be a hundred giant steps forward for this team.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
We have a 106 year old owner that likes to meddle with a bad team in a cold climate. How does that attact more the Jauron's and Gailey's of the world? If Ralph woke up tomorrow and decided he gave a **** about the future of the Bills he'd sell the team local and that would be a hundred giant steps forward for this team.
So one of the big problems is the cold weather, yet the big step forward is selling it to a team that refuses to move it out of the cold weather? Brilliant!

Besides, we all saw how well "selling local" worked for the Sabres. Has Pegula won that Stanley Cup he promised us yet?