PDA

View Full Version : Alonso hype

X-Era
05-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Mario commented that he reminds him of a smaller Cushing.

Tarvaris says the kid can play.

Murph took notice of him.

LB was a serious need for us going into the off-season. Shepp is thankfully gone but rather than upgrade the spot with someone proven, we took Kiko. He's a rookie. But a few things stand out to me.

Speed- He's definitely quick. At his pro day he ran a 4.74. He has previously ran a 4.68. That's not great but good. But on the field, you can see the quicks. It's on the field and apparent. He won't struggle to keep up with the quick TE's in coverage or shoot through a gap for stops in the backfield.
Agile- He makes fast moves to close on the ball. There isn't a lot of wasted steps. He also doesn't over-pursue as much

On the flip side:

Size- He's a bit light. Not in size but in bulk. It's good for speed but will it hurt him a bit when trying to make stops against big backs and TE's. Will he get bowled over?
Tackling- He seems to do quite a bit of arm tackling rather than wrapping up. Against the bigger, faster, and stronger NFL players this could result in broken tackles. Whether it's trying to shoe string tackle someone or just getting them off balance so that they fall on their own, I'd rather get wrap up tackles.

I wanted an upgrade to Shepp. By all accounts it appears we may have that but it's got to be shown on the field. This will be an interesting situation to watch.

DraftBoy
05-30-2013, 06:29 AM
My biggest concern about Alonso is that he's a hitter not a tackler and that he's way too undisciplined on the field. He over runs plays, gets himself out of position, and doesn't identify fakes as they are happening. He'll need some time to adjust.

Night Train
05-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Mark Gaughan after viewing the practice yesterday stated the Bills like him, running with the 1st unit and he'll probably start. He also mentioned Jerry Hughes as someone who has impressed.

I have to give the Bills some credit. I viewed WR and LB as areas screaming for help this spring and they seemed to have added many people in both units with upside. Time will tell but they made the effort.

DraftBoy
05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Mark Gaughan after viewing the practice yesterday stated the Bills like him, running with the 1st unit and he'll probably start. He also mentioned Jerry Hughes as someone who has impressed.

I have to give the Bills some credit. I viewed WR and LB as areas screaming for help this spring and they seemed to have added many people in both units with upside. Time will tell but they made the effort.

They definitely made some interesting moves albeit under the radar.

Guys like Alonso and Lawson are obvious names to look at but also I think an addition like Kourtnei Brown (athletic freak), Hughes (former bust), Jamie Blatnick (pass rusher) and Marcus Dowtin (tackling machine) are all moves that could pay off for very low risk.

Additionally at WR adding two early picks in Woods and Goowdin is interesting but fans have already gravitated to what guys like Rogers and Kaufman could offer us as well. Also let's not forget about Chris 7-11 Hogan who could be a slot option through camp.

If these moves pan out, big IF, then this is how you build contenders. You know you can't spend $100 Million every off-season on a star player, so you find the under the radar moves that pay off big time.

k-oneputt
05-30-2013, 08:08 AM
My biggest concern about Alonso is that he's a hitter not a tackler and that he's way too undisciplined on the field. He over runs plays, gets himself out of position, and doesn't identify fakes as they are happening. He'll need some time to adjust. These are not necessarily bad characteristics for a linebacker. He is overly aggressive which causes alot of what you mentioned. He is active and is flying around the field. These can be fixed. I'd rather have my lb at this extreme then at the opposite end.

OpIv37
05-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Tarvaris says the kid can play.

Murph took notice of him.

LB was a serious need for us going into the off-season. Shepp is thankfully gone but rather than upgrade the spot with someone proven, we took Kiko. He's a rookie. But a few things stand out to me.

Speed- He's definitely quick. At his pro day he ran a 4.74. He has previously ran a 4.68. That's not great but good. But on the field, you can see the quicks. It's on the field and apparent. He won't struggle to keep up with the quick TE's in coverage or shoot through a gap for stops in the backfield.
Agile- He makes fast moves to close on the ball. There isn't a lot of wasted steps. He also doesn't over-pursue as much

On the flip side:

Size- He's a bit light. Not in size but in bulk. It's good for speed but will it hurt him a bit when trying to make stops against big backs and TE's. Will he get bowled over?
Tackling- He seems to do quite a bit of arm tackling rather than wrapping up. Against the bigger, faster, and stronger NFL players this could result in broken tackles. Whether it's trying to shoe string tackle someone or just getting them off balance so that they fall on their own, I'd rather get wrap up tackles.

I wanted an upgrade to Shepp. By all accounts it appears we may have that but it's got to be shown on the field. This will be an interesting situation to watch.

The bolded part is a big concern. This team has been getting destroyed by TE's for years (I call it "the Ghost of Donte Whitner"). The last thing we need is another LB/S who can't cover one.

justasportsfan
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
The bolded part is a big concern. This team has been getting destroyed by TE's for years (I call it "the Ghost of Donte Whitner"). The last thing we need is another LB/S who can't cover one.

I will take my chances on Alonso (6'3" 238) over Whitner (5'10" 208 lbs.) covering TE's.

better days
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Kiko is big enough to handle TEs. And Jerome Bettis type backs are few & far between in the NFL now.

OpIv37
05-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I will take my chances on Alonso (6'3" 238) over Whitner (5'10" 208 lbs.) covering TE's.

Kiko is big enough to handle TEs. And Jerome Bettis type backs are few & far between in the NFL now.

is he fast enough to handle TE's at that size?

justasportsfan
05-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Don't know but he's gotta be better than Whitner covering TE's. I know thats not saying much .

IlluminatusUIUC
05-30-2013, 10:40 AM

So, pre-roids Cushing?

better days
05-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Yes he is fast enough, didn't you read the op by X-Era? He is fast for a LB.

Night Train
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Pettine seemed to indicate in recent articles that the safeties like an Aaron Williams, Searcy..the 2 middle round picks etc. are guys that will draw the assignment of covering the TE's of today who have more speed (ex. Hernandez of the Pats ). We shall see. Sounds like that's not going to be a LB in this scheme.

better days
05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Pettine seemed to indicate in recent articles that the safeties like an Aaron Williams, Searcy..the 2 middle round picks etc. are guys that will draw the assignment of covering the TE's of today who have more speed (ex. Hernandez of the Pats ). We shall see. Sounds like that's not going to be a LB in this scheme.

Yeah, Hernandez, Winslow Jr. those type are more really big WRs. I could see Kiko cover Gronk & the BIGGER TEs though.

swiper
05-30-2013, 02:10 PM
My biggest concern about Alonso is that he's a hitter not a tackler and that he's way too undisciplined on the field. He over runs plays, gets himself out of position, and doesn't identify fakes as they are happening. He'll need some time to adjust.

And is he big enough to man the middle in the NFL? Don't like hearing that he's a smaller version of Cushing.

DraftBoy
05-30-2013, 02:19 PM
And is he big enough to man the middle in the NFL? Don't like hearing that he's a smaller version of Cushing.

I think so, especially in a 34 base where he should be able to play more in space and attack downhill as opposed to have to take on blockers constantly. I think he's a fit at SILB.

DynaPaul
05-30-2013, 02:26 PM
He won't have to worry about covering Gronk because that man is falling apart. Apparently he needs back surgery now and has serious durability issues.

swiper
05-30-2013, 02:30 PM
He won't have to worry about covering Gronk because that man is falling apart. Apparently he needs back surgery now and has serious durability issues.

All that means is it is time for Bellichik to pull another rabbit out of his hat.

justasportsfan
05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Good read

Attempting to re-enter a house party, the inebriated defender had mistakenly broken into a neighbor's residence and passed out on a couch, prompting a 911 call. The tequila-fueled episode led to a great deal of ridicule for Alonso, who was dubbed "Goldilocks" by one of his coaches. ("I deserved it," he says now.)

"Now, it seems funny," Monica said. "It didn't then."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---12-rose-bowl-performance-helped-rescue-oregon-nfl-draft-prospect-kiko-alonso-s-football-career-201958382.html

mayotm
05-30-2013, 03:08 PM
All that means is it is time for Bellichik to pull another rabbit out of his hat.Yep. That rabbit being Jake Ballard who supposedly has looked great in their OTA's.

better days
05-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Yep. That rabbit being Jake Ballard who supposedly has looked great in their OTA's.

I thought rabbits were FAST.

elltrain22
05-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Very excited to see this kid play!

swiper
05-31-2013, 05:17 AM

Who cares? LEt others cover the TE. He's an ILB. I want to see his lateral movement and his tackling ability in the run game. I don't want another Pozlusny.

DraftBoy
05-31-2013, 06:04 AM
Who cares? LEt others cover the TE. He's an ILB. I want to see his lateral movement and his tackling ability in the run game. I don't want another Pozlusny.

Part of the job of the ILB is to cover the TE, so he needs to be able to do that. It won't happen as often under Pettine who likes to in the box SS who can cover the TE but he still needs to do so with how many dual TE sets we'll see.

swiper
05-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Part of the job of the ILB is to cover the TE, so he needs to be able to do that. It won't happen as often under Pettine who likes to in the box SS who can cover the TE but he still needs to do so with how many dual TE sets we'll see.

Understand all that. First Pettine has recently discussed the SS covering the TE. And I'm not concerned about Alonso in coverage - that was one of his stregths discussed in draft write-ups. I am more concerned about his wrapping up on tackling as you mentioned I believe.

streetkings01
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM
I just wish John Murphy would take Alonzo's sausage out his mouth...........guy spent a whole podcast dedicated to Kiko!

justasportsfan
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
I just wish John Murphy would take Alonzo's sausage out his mouth...........guy spent a whole podcast dedicated to Kiko!

we haven't had a good linebacker since Cowart. I'm waiting for our next Spielman - Paup combo.

OpIv37
05-31-2013, 11:01 AM
we haven't had a good linebacker since Cowart. I'm waiting for our next Spielman - Paup combo.

Spikes was great. Unfortunately he was only here and healthy for 2 seasons.

justasportsfan
05-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Spikes was great. Unfortunately he was only here and healthy for 2 seasons.

Forgot about him .Spikes was good. Just wasn't a difference maker that Paup was.

Lexwhat
05-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Forgot about him .Spikes was good. Just wasn't a difference maker that Paup was.

London Fletcher?

Paup had one dominant season, and another very good season if I remember correctly.

Cowart, if it weren't for his injuries, had the potential to be one of the best LBs in the league.

ublinkwescore
06-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Spikes wasn't a difference maker? His first season here, he was the best lber that season. Hands down. Granted, having Sam Adams in front of you will make life really easy. Turnover machine.

The Jokeman
06-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Paup was also surrounded by great talent like Bruce, Bennett, Washington and even to a degree Hansen/Jeffcoat. Also it's amazing as looking back, http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19950310&id=7IxQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TBMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2722,2794289 that Paup's entire contract was worth $7.6 million which equates to most of the signing bonus' that guys get now and that his signing was 18 seasons ago! As it feels like yesterday when he and Bruce were terrorizin QBs.

justasportsfan
06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
London Fletcher?

Paup had one dominant season, and another very good season if I remember correctly.

Cowart, if it weren't for his injuries, had the potential to be one of the best LBs in the league.

In that one dominant season prior to getting injured (Spielman too) he was a beast and we haven't had one since.

Fletcher? He was nothing more than a sure tackler who could make plays behind the LOS. I would have taken Cowart prior to his injury over Fletcher any day.

k-oneputt
06-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Cowart was better then both Spikes and Fletcher pre-injury.

ublinkwescore
06-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Viewer was better than Lewis just before his injury.

djjimkelly
06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
So, pre-roids Cushing?

lets get this straight once more.

EVERY nfl player is on the juice

better days
06-05-2013, 08:14 AM

You are an A$$. Murphy features players on his show all the time. Kiko was not the first nor will he be the last. It is the offseason & Murph is INTRODUCING players to BILLS fans.