• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Alonso hype

Mario commented that he reminds him of a smaller Cushing.

Tarvaris says the kid can play.

Murph took notice of him.

LB was a serious need for us going into the off-season. Shepp is thankfully gone but rather than upgrade the spot with someone proven, we took Kiko. He's a rookie. But a few things stand out to me.
    1. Speed- He's definitely quick. At his pro day he ran a 4.74. He has previously ran a 4.68. That's not great but good. But on the field, you can see the quicks. It's on the field and apparent. He won't struggle to keep up with the quick TE's in coverage or shoot through a gap for stops in the backfield.
    2. Agile- He makes fast moves to close on the ball. There isn't a lot of wasted steps. He also doesn't over-pursue as much

On the flip side:
    1. Size- He's a bit light. Not in size but in bulk. It's good for speed but will it hurt him a bit when trying to make stops against big backs and TE's. Will he get bowled over?
    2. Tackling- He seems to do quite a bit of arm tackling rather than wrapping up. Against the bigger, faster, and stronger NFL players this could result in broken tackles. Whether it's trying to shoe string tackle someone or just getting them off balance so that they fall on their own, I'd rather get wrap up tackles.

I wanted an upgrade to Shepp. By all accounts it appears we may have that but it's got to be shown on the field. This will be an interesting situation to watch.
    Last edited by X-Era; 05-30-2013, 06:20 AM.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Alonso hype

My biggest concern about Alonso is that he's a hitter not a tackler and that he's way too undisciplined on the field. He over runs plays, gets himself out of position, and doesn't identify fakes as they are happening. He'll need some time to adjust.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Mark Gaughan after viewing the practice yesterday stated the Bills like him, running with the 1st unit and he'll probably start. He also mentioned Jerry Hughes as someone who has impressed.

I have to give the Bills some credit. I viewed WR and LB as areas screaming for help this spring and they seemed to have added many people in both units with upside. Time will tell but they made the effort.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        Mark Gaughan after viewing the practice yesterday stated the Bills like him, running with the 1st unit and he'll probably start. He also mentioned Jerry Hughes as someone who has impressed.

I have to give the Bills some credit. I viewed WR and LB as areas screaming for help this spring and they seemed to have added many people in both units with upside. Time will tell but they made the effort.
        They definitely made some interesting moves albeit under the radar.

Guys like Alonso and Lawson are obvious names to look at but also I think an addition like Kourtnei Brown (athletic freak), Hughes (former bust), Jamie Blatnick (pass rusher) and Marcus Dowtin (tackling machine) are all moves that could pay off for very low risk.

Additionally at WR adding two early picks in Woods and Goowdin is interesting but fans have already gravitated to what guys like Rogers and Kaufman could offer us as well. Also let's not forget about Chris 7-11 Hogan who could be a slot option through camp.

If these moves pan out, big IF, then this is how you build contenders. You know you can't spend $100 Million every off-season on a star player, so you find the under the radar moves that pay off big time.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          My biggest concern about Alonso is that he's a hitter not a tackler and that he's way too undisciplined on the field. He over runs plays, gets himself out of position, and doesn't identify fakes as they are happening. He'll need some time to adjust.
          These are not necessarily bad characteristics for a linebacker. He is overly aggressive which causes alot of what you mentioned. He is active and is flying around the field. These can be fixed. I'd rather have my lb at this extreme then at the opposite end.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

Tarvaris says the kid can play.

Murph took notice of him.

LB was a serious need for us going into the off-season. Shepp is thankfully gone but rather than upgrade the spot with someone proven, we took Kiko. He's a rookie. But a few things stand out to me.
            1. Speed- He's definitely quick. At his pro day he ran a 4.74. He has previously ran a 4.68. That's not great but good. But on the field, you can see the quicks. It's on the field and apparent. He won't struggle to keep up with the quick TE's in coverage or shoot through a gap for stops in the backfield.
            2. Agile- He makes fast moves to close on the ball. There isn't a lot of wasted steps. He also doesn't over-pursue as much

On the flip side:
            1. Size- He's a bit light. Not in size but in bulk. It's good for speed but will it hurt him a bit when trying to make stops against big backs and TE's. Will he get bowled over?
            2. Tackling- He seems to do quite a bit of arm tackling rather than wrapping up. Against the bigger, faster, and stronger NFL players this could result in broken tackles. Whether it's trying to shoe string tackle someone or just getting them off balance so that they fall on their own, I'd rather get wrap up tackles.

I wanted an upgrade to Shepp. By all accounts it appears we may have that but it's got to be shown on the field. This will be an interesting situation to watch.
            The bolded part is a big concern. This team has been getting destroyed by TE's for years (I call it "the Ghost of Donte Whitner"). The last thing we need is another LB/S who can't cover one.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              The bolded part is a big concern. This team has been getting destroyed by TE's for years (I call it "the Ghost of Donte Whitner"). The last thing we need is another LB/S who can't cover one.
              I will take my chances on Alonso (6'3" 238) over Whitner (5'10" 208 lbs.) covering TE's.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Kiko is big enough to handle TEs. And Jerome Bettis type backs are few & far between in the NFL now.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  I will take my chances on Alonso (6'3" 238) over Whitner (5'10" 208 lbs.) covering TE's.
                  Originally posted by better days View Post
                  Kiko is big enough to handle TEs. And Jerome Bettis type backs are few & far between in the NFL now.
                  is he fast enough to handle TE's at that size?
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Don't know but he's gotta be better than Whitner covering TE's. I know thats not saying much .
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                      So, pre-roids Cushing?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Yes he is fast enough, didn't you read the op by X-Era? He is fast for a LB.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Pettine seemed to indicate in recent articles that the safeties like an Aaron Williams, Searcy..the 2 middle round picks etc. are guys that will draw the assignment of covering the TE's of today who have more speed (ex. Hernandez of the Pats ). We shall see. Sounds like that's not going to be a LB in this scheme.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                            Pettine seemed to indicate in recent articles that the safeties like an Aaron Williams, Searcy..the 2 middle round picks etc. are guys that will draw the assignment of covering the TE's of today who have more speed (ex. Hernandez of the Pats ). We shall see. Sounds like that's not going to be a LB in this scheme.
                            Yeah, Hernandez, Winslow Jr. those type are more really big WRs. I could see Kiko cover Gronk & the BIGGER TEs though.

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              And is he big enough to man the middle in the NFL? Don't like hearing that he's a smaller version of Cushing.

Comment

Working...
                              X