PDA

View Full Version : assuming kolb is the starter, and ej sits for a year...

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
do you think we can win 9-10 games? and kolb stays healthy the whole year...

gr8slayer
05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm going 7-9/8-8.

elltrain22
05-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Way too many question marks for this team to win 9 games. Is Marrone a good coach? Do we have a legit qb on this roster? Can our o-line function w/o Levitre & Rinehart. Will our defense be better than that crap we saw last year? Is Fred Jackson over the hill or was last year an aberration? Is Rogers legit? What about Woods? Can Chandler bounce back from injury? etc, etc...

Even though I cannot say that I'm confident that we're a 9-win team yet, I will say, if we can answer maybe to the first 2 questions, we might have something.

BillsFever21
05-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Considering Kolb has only won 9 games and has never stayed healthy more then a month or so his entire career my guess would be no.

gr8slayer
05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Also a fairly brutal schedule.
Way too many question marks for this team to win 9 games. Is Marrone a good coach? Do we have a legit qb on this roster? Can our o-line function w/o Levitre & Rinehart. Will our defense be better than that crap we saw last year? Is Fred Jackson over the hill or was last year an aberration? Is Rogers legit? What about Woods? Can Chandler bounce back from injury? etc, etc...

Even though I cannot say that I'm confident that we're a 9-win team yet, I will say, if we can answer maybe to the first 2 questions, we might have something.

EDS
05-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Assuming Kolb wins the starting QB job at the beginning of the season, the only way I see him lasting the full season as starter is if the Bills are legitimately in the hunt for the playoffs. Otherwise, the team is better off getting Manuel's feet wet.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2013, 09:17 PM
im just so sick of ****ing losing. I just want 9-7

Skooby
05-30-2013, 09:19 PM
If EJ doesn't start, we'll wait another year to get better.

Mr. Pink
05-30-2013, 09:40 PM
4-12

trapezeus
05-31-2013, 07:41 AM
lot's of ifs.
especially with kolb's health. he won't last more than 4 games. my personal belief. and that's why they need to keep tjax if they really are working on EJ's mechancis. if it's a matter of him just learning the playbook, then whatever. let him learn sooner than later.

Albany,n.y.
05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't see EJ sitting out the season. Worst case scenario is he debuts against Atlanta 12/1 after the bye and gets the last 5 games. Best case scenario, he starts opening day and has a great season.

justasportsfan
05-31-2013, 10:58 AM
so many if's. If Pettine is as good as advertised, we should win a lot of games. If we have a top 5 running game, it should make things easier for Kolb and co.

If Marsha comes out of the closet.....

trapezeus
05-31-2013, 11:38 AM
the problem with buffalo is that the QB situation is far from addressed. And even if the starter can start out hot, we need the coaching staff to keep that QB playing well as teams adjust to what we are doing. The two hot starts we had were figured out pretty quickly.

I also see the problem that we don't have a high end LB who can rush the passer and also drop into coverage to stop the TE. That might still be a year away, or it will have to be a diamond in the rough type player stepping up big time.

With the absense of consistent QB play, and without a playmaker on defense that changes what the other team wants to do, we are going to be stuck in the perpetual land of 4-7 wins a year.

that being said, i'll take 4 wins, if the WR situation is solved, the DE line play improves, the OL shows signs of being adequate, and QB play from EJ that shows he's getting it.

if they win 7 games and the team just looks the way it did last year, i am going to be concerned that it's longer than a 3 year rebuild.

SpikedLemonade
05-31-2013, 12:57 PM
I am glad there is so much hope here.

Unfortunately, many hearts will be crushed this year.

4 wins would be a huge achievement.

jamze132
05-31-2013, 05:37 PM
4-7 wins is what I predict.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-31-2013, 05:50 PM
well after dougs comments, I think it would be a surprise if ej didn't start

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad there is so much hope here.

Unfortunately, many hearts will be crushed this year.

4 wins would be a huge achievement.

4 wins??? if that's the case, then the whole coaching staff needs to be fired... are you ****ing kidding me? you think we have a talent base like 2010???

BillsFever21
05-31-2013, 06:57 PM
well after dougs comments, I think it would be a surprise if ej didn't start

4 wins??? if that's the case, then the whole coaching staff needs to be fired... are you ****ing kidding me? you think we have a talent base like 2010???

Well our talent level is supposedly "far beyond" where we were in the Jauron era yet we won less games. There are a lot of factors that's involved in your overall record when you're talking about a team that is average at best. The strength of schedule or a few plays can be the difference from 3 wins or 7 wins a lot of the time.
- - - Updated - - -

NOT THE DUDE...
05-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Well our talent level is supposedly "far beyond" where we were in the Jauron era yet we won less games. There are a lot of factors that's involved in your overall record when you're talking about a team that is average at best. The strength of schedule or a few plays can be the difference from 3 wins or 7 wins a lot of the time.
- - - Updated - - -

bs, if this team cant win more than 6 games, they should be fired. period. that's ****ing ridiculous man

Buffalo Billy Bison
06-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Most everything is based on wins and those wins give credence, praise and confidence as to which QB plays. You don't win. the QB usually takes the blame and changes are made. To early to tell so it becomes a wait and see proposition I guess!

NOT THE DUDE...
06-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Most everything is based on wins and those wins give credence, praise and confidence as to which QB plays. You don't win. the QB usually takes the blame and changes are made. To early to tell so it becomes a wait and see proposition I guess!

ugh

better days
06-01-2013, 10:45 AM
- - - Updated - - -

While Jauron was a mediocre HC, he was a GOOD defensive Coach & he had mediocre OC's. Chan was a GOOD offensive Coach, but his DC's were beyond mediocre, they were TERRIBLE.

Look at Belichick & the Pats* the Pats* win with a GOOD QB, a GOOD HC & average talent on the rest of the team.

If Kolb or Manuel is GOOD & Marrone is GOOD, with the talent on the Bills they should win at least 9 games.

pmoon6
06-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Bill Walsh - 2-14 his first year

Chuck Noll 1-13 his first year

Jimmy Johnson 1-15 his first year

Bill Parcells 3-12-1 his first year.

Bill Belichick had one winning season in five years with the Browns, his first year in NE he went 5-11.

Yeah, fire a HC when he doesn't do well his first year.

swiper
06-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Bill Belichick had one winning season in five years with the Browns, his first year in NE he went 5-11.

Look at Tom Landry's record:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/LandTo0.htm

NOT THE DUDE...
06-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Look at Tom Landry's record:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/LandTo0.htm

our talent level is 3x better than those teams those years... really?

better days
06-01-2013, 12:01 PM

List the roster for those teams the first year & 2nd year of that HC.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-01-2013, 12:07 PM
we are not rebuilding

pmoon6
06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
List the roster for those teams the first year & 2nd year of that HC.Why? The Bills have a new QB, basically new WR corp except for Stevie, will have a revamped O-line. New LB core.

The point is you have to give a new coach and staff time to implent their systems. Pick up players that fit. You can't do it in 6 months. You are on board with the idea of firing Marrone if the Bills go 4-12?

better days
06-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Why? The Bills have a new QB, basically new WR corp except for Stevie, will have a revamped O-line. New LB core.

The point is you have to give a new coach and staff time to implent their systems. Pick up players that fit. You can't do it in 6 months. You are on board with the idea of firing Marrone if the Bills go 4-12?

I am ABSOLUTELY on board with FIRING Marrone if the Bills win less than 6 games. There is NO EXCUSE for that with the talent on this team IMO. But I don't see the Bills winning less than 6 games either.

gr8slayer
06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
You're borderline delusional.
we are not rebuilding

NOT THE DUDE...
06-02-2013, 09:46 AM
You're borderline delusional.

lol, all we need is a qb. top 10 oline that can get even better, great talent on dline, bradham, kiko, moats, Gilmore, byrd, spiller, stevie. let it go man, the reason we have sucked has been all about qb. are we going to rebuild for 20 years?

better days
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
lol, all we need is a qb. top 10 oline that can get even better, great talent on dline, bradham, kiko, moats, Gilmore, byrd, spiller, stevie. let it go man, the reason we have sucked has been all about qb. are we going to rebuild for 20 years?

Bad QB play & poor Coaching in the past IMO. If Kolb/Manuel & Marrone/Pettine are what we hope they are I see a vast improvement for this team

NOT THE DUDE...
06-02-2013, 10:13 AM
kolb seems like he has the mindset to be really good in the no-huddle... just my gut feeling. I can say this, im much more confident in kolb and even a raw rookie like ej, then fitz. and its not like fitz was as terrible as people say, he just made critical mistakes

NOT THE DUDE...
06-02-2013, 10:15 AM
say what you want about fitz, nothing was worse then watching trent in 09-010... **** was disturbing. alex van pelt, and even jp were better and brought some small level of courage excitement... trent was ****ing terrible. probably the reason we thought fitz was so good at first. its like eating ****, and then tasting a dollar menu burger, and thinking its outback

pmoon6
06-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I am ABSOLUTELY on board with FIRING Marrone if the Bills win less than 6 games. There is NO EXCUSE for that with the talent on this team IMO. But I don't see the Bills winning less than 6 games either.Cool, we can fire and hire a new one every year.

Great plan.

better days
06-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Cool, we can fire and hire a new one every year.

Great plan.

TOTAL BS. If any HC can't WIN at least 6 games with this roster, then YES, FIRE them until we find one that can. The Bills lost ONE player of any VALUE- Levitre. They have added MANY players that look to be upgrades over last years roster that WON 6 games. WHY should we be asked to accept mediocrity any longer?

And that is just what your avitar would have done. If one of his officers was not getting the job done, Patton FIRED him.

Meathead
06-03-2013, 11:45 AM
COULD they win nine games? sure, but everything would have to go right and thats exceedingly rare. they would need the super green rookies to play way above their exp, the crappy/young lbs to do the same, ditto for the very young depth cbs, and freddie to not hit the wall faster than amanda bynes hitting buffalo trampolines

its technically possible, weve seen other teams do it on rare occassions, but the likelihood appears remote

and yeah, im not seeing all this cant miss talent that marrone has to work with. it could be the most promising set of draft picks and udfas weve had here in a decade but thats about it. mario, white williams, gilmore, marcell, byrd, stevie, spiller, and wood form a solid base but the rest is pure speculation. and not having a confirmed answer at QB is the big one - its entirely possible that both kolb and jackson flame out and no matter how good ej might end up he could look quite fugly for a while if thrown into the starting job

ive predicted ten wins almost every season for the last decade except with chuddys talentless first season roster. but honestly i cant say with any confidence they will get more than five wins this year

EDS
06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
While Jauron was a mediocre HC, he was a GOOD defensive Coach & he had mediocre OC's. Chan was a GOOD offensive Coach, but his DC's were beyond mediocre, they were TERRIBLE.

Look at Belichick & the Pats* the Pats* win with a GOOD QB, a GOOD HC & average talent on the rest of the team.

If Kolb or Manuel is GOOD & Marrone is GOOD, with the talent on the Bills they should win at least 9 games.

The Pats have an HOF QB and a HOF coach. That is a big difference then having a good head coach and good QB.

Meathead
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
marcia is a bonafide hof qb but im still convinced pre-pats sub-.500 belicheater is only a genius bc he stumbled into said wuss sixth round solid gold passer

NOT THE DUDE...
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
COULD they win nine games? sure, but everything would have to go right and thats exceedingly rare. they would need the super green rookies to play way above their exp, the crappy/young lbs to do the same, ditto for the very young depth cbs, and freddie to not hit the wall faster than amanda bynes hitting buffalo trampolines

its technically possible, weve seen other teams do it on rare occassions, but the likelihood appears remote

and yeah, im not seeing all this cant miss talent that marrone has to work with. it could be the most promising set of draft picks and udfas weve had here in a decade but thats about it. mario, white williams, gilmore, marcell, byrd, stevie, spiller, and wood form a solid base but the rest is pure speculation. and not having a confirmed answer at QB is the big one - its entirely possible that both kolb and jackson flame out and no matter how good ej might end up he could look quite fugly for a while if thrown into the starting job

ive predicted ten wins almost every season for the last decade except with chuddys talentless first season roster. but honestly i cant say with any confidence they will get more than five wins this year

I think any rational fan would say kolb and ej will be a little better than fitz at least. that and pettine better get us to 8 wins. I mean Christ, the oline is top 10, Mario, Anderson, hughes has great pass-rushing ability, Gilmore, mckelvin, brooks, rogers, robey, Williams now at his more natural spot s, byrd, duke, searcy, bradham and kiko, moats, dowtin and his speed rushing... wtf dude, the roster is beyond set. you put luck or even matt schaub on this team and I would say superbowl...

better days
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
marcia is a bonafide hof qb but im still convinced pre-pats sub-.500 belicheater is only a genius bc he stumbled into said wuss sixth round solid gold passer

I'm not so sure Brady would be a HOF QB if the Pats* didn't CHEAT their way to those Super Bowl wins. Every Super Bowl they won was by CHEATING & it took CHEATING just to get there.

Without the CHEATING would they even have played in those Super Bowls? NOBODY knows.

BillsFever21
06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I think any rational fan would say kolb and ej will be a little better than fitz at least. that and pettine better get us to 8 wins. I mean Christ, the oline is top 10, Mario, Anderson, hughes has great pass-rushing ability, Gilmore, mckelvin, brooks, rogers, robey, Williams now at his more natural spot s, byrd, duke, searcy, bradham and kiko, moats, dowtin and his speed rushing... wtf dude, the roster is beyond set. you put luck or even matt schaub on this team and I would say superbowl...

Out entire roster should be in the Pro Bowl. Instead of the AFC vs the NFC they need to make it the Bills vs The NFL. It would only be fair to the Bills and to make sure they put the best rosters on the field.

I know our roster is so much better then the Texans that if Shaub was in Buffalo he would've won a couple SB's by now but don't rip on the Texans too bad with that pitiful roster of theirs. It's not JJ Watt, Andre Johnson's and the others fault that they stink. The Texans offered them money so they took it.

feldspar
06-04-2013, 06:57 PM
One thing that people don't consider about Kolb is that he started like 50 games in college...don't think that he ever got hurt there. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll get hurt if he plays. If he starts and doesn't play well & the Bills aren't in the hunt, I don't see a reason to keep him in there in that event.

All I can say is that it's a really interesting year to be a Buffalo Bills fan. God knows what will happen.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-05-2013, 02:58 AM
I guess a better question is what if kolb breaks out..??