PDA

View Full Version : Marrone says EJ is ahead of any rookie QB he saw

tatersalad
05-31-2013, 01:41 PM
though he hasnt seen many

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/31/doug-marrone-e-j-manuel-is-ahead-of-any-rookie-qb-ive-seen/

tatersalad
05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Might be insight to starter this year though I have no problem him sitting a year to learn

OpIv37
05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
meh.

Marrone knows the team has to sell tickets, and he knows he has to keep EJ's confidence up. I don't put much stock into what these guys say to the mediia.

braddavery
05-31-2013, 02:12 PM
This means pretty much nothing.

tatersalad
05-31-2013, 02:36 PM
I can say this I'm not opposed for him sitting awhile till Kolb gets hurt which he will

tatersalad
05-31-2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/31/4384042/ej-manuel-rookie-buffalo-bills-qb this says Best Rookie ever coached

justasportsfan
05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
meh.

Marrone knows the team has to sell tickets, and he knows he has to keep EJ's confidence up. I don't put much stock into what these guys say to the mediia.I agree he has to sell more tickets but talking up EJ is not going to do that unless he's starting EJ on opening day.

trapezeus
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
it would also mean more if he was a parcells like coach who has seen a lot of rookie qb's entering the NFL. This is his first rookie qb he's seeing as a head coach. i get what he's trying to say, but it doesn't carry a lot of weight until we see the baby, so to speak.

my cautiousness aside, i hope to god he's right.

EDS
05-31-2013, 04:47 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/31/4384042/ej-manuel-rookie-buffalo-bills-qb this says Best Rookie ever coached

Championship!

jamze132
05-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Kolb is getting paid too much to start the year on the bench in favor of a rookie, who can be argued as a significant reach. I honestly think Kolb gives us the best chance to win at this point and unless he is lighting it up and we're contending for a playoff spot, I would rather get Manuel in there since Whaley and Co. went all-in with Manuel.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
meh.

Marrone knows the team has to sell tickets, and he knows he has to keep EJ's confidence up. I don't put much stock into what these guys say to the mediia.

I don't think marrone cares about that kinda of mind games **** or tickets. seems like a straight shooter. from a mental standpoint, we already knew ej was ahead of most rookie qbs...

OpIv37
05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't think marrone cares about that kinda of mind games **** or tickets. seems like a straight shooter. from a mental standpoint, we already knew ej was ahead of most rookie qbs...

It's not mind games. It's just basic media savvy. You just can't trust coaches or GM's to give honest opinions to the media because if their honest opinion is negative, there are too many potential consequences. I'm sure Marrone's a straight shooter with his players, or with his friends over a beer, but the media is different.

Thief
05-31-2013, 07:36 PM
It's not mind games. It's just basic media savvy. You just can't trust coaches or GM's to give honest opinions to the media because if their honest opinion is negative, there are too many potential consequences. I'm sure Marrone's a straight shooter with his players, or with his friends over a beer, but the media is different.
I just had a beer w him n he told me the same thing.

Goobylal
05-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Kolb is getting paid too much to start the year on the bench in favor of a rookie, who can be argued as a significant reach. I honestly think Kolb gives us the best chance to win at this point and unless he is lighting it up and we're contending for a playoff spot, I would rather get Manuel in there since Whaley and Co. went all-in with Manuel.
Kolb can be cut. And I think whoever is loses the battle between he and Jackson will be cut.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-31-2013, 10:13 PM

he didn't have to say that at all man. he could have just said " ej is doing well and still learning..."

gr8slayer
06-01-2013, 08:23 AM
I just hope that they don't put him in until he's 100% ready. Throwing him in too early can ruin the guys career.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-01-2013, 08:32 AM
I just hope that they don't put him in until he's 100% ready.
Throwing him in too early can ruin the guys career.

I always felt that was a false premise. I think when they fail early, it just means they suck balls

Goobylal
06-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I don't know if waiting gets you anywhere. I've heard that Leaf was ruined after throwing 3 INT's in a game as a rookie, but if he's not mentally tough then, what makes anyone think he would be later? I say start EJ from the get-go.

RedEyE
06-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Unless EJ is just not prepared to go, he will start day one. TJax and Kolb have back-up QB contracts. EJ is a long term investment that will make or break this FO and coaching regime.

better days
06-01-2013, 10:16 AM
meh.

Well, I heard an interview with the CEO of the Fins on a profootballtalk podcast. He said the Fins would NOT have sold out 7 games last year if the team did not take required steps to make the sellouts happen. In other words, the team bought up the unsold tickets so the games could be declared a sellout & shown on TV. ALL teams have to sell tickets.

Goobylal
06-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Unless EJ is just not prepared to go, he will start day one. TJax and Kolb have back-up QB contracts. EJ is a long term investment that will make or break this FO and coaching regime.
Not to mention that Kolb and TJax would cost only $500K against the cap this year if cut (with Kolb costing another $500K against the cap next year), while saving $1.75M in TJax' case and I believe $2M in Kolb's case.

Well, I heard an interview with the CEO of the Fins on a profootballtalk podcast. He said the Fins would NOT have sold out 7 games last year if the team did not take required steps to make the sellouts happen. In other words, the team bought up the unsold tickets so the games could be declared a sellout & shown on TV. ALL teams have to sell tickets.
I assume they did this (and went on the FA spending bender this off-season) to get funding for a new stadium. Which was shot down. :lol:

But I guess the take home message is that starting a high draft pick rookie QB doesn't ensure sellouts.

The Jokeman
06-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Kolb can be cut. And I think whoever is loses the battle between he and Jackson will be cut.

It all depends on how many QBs the Bills intend to carry on their final roster. If it's two than yes I'm all for cutting the loser but if we intend to have three I'd rather have two veteran QBs and 1 rookie than 2 rookies and 1 veteran. Not to mention it keeps one of them away from like a team like the Jets who must be desperate for a veteran QB.

Goobylal
06-01-2013, 01:12 PM
It all depends on how many QBs the Bills intend to carry on their final roster. If it's two than yes I'm all for cutting the loser but if we intend to have three I'd rather have two veteran QBs and 1 rookie than 2 rookies and 1 veteran. Not to mention it keeps one of them away from like a team like the Jets who must be desperate for a veteran QB.
Why keep 2 veterans? Especially if Tuel shows anything? The odds of going to your 3rd QB in a game are tiny, while the odds of winning a game with your 3rd stringer are even tinier. And likely the guy they cut will be available in-season, should they need him.

Meathead
06-01-2013, 01:28 PM
"EJ has rocketed all the way to #1 out of the total of two rookie QBs I have ever seen."

The Jokeman
06-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Why keep 2 veterans? Especially if Tuel shows anything? The odds of going to your 3rd QB in a game are tiny, while the odds of winning a game with your 3rd stringer are even tinier. And likely the guy they cut will be available in-season, should they need him.

Cuz to me Kolb is a china doll which means we actually have one veteran. In terms of Tuel he's the kind you bury on your depth chart and develop and see what he can become. Though honestly think people are putting too much stock into him because we mentioned we might have drafted him. Honestly I see him as nothing more than a Brian Hoyer type.

JoeMama
06-01-2013, 06:06 PM
though he hasnt seen many

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/31/doug-marrone-e-j-manuel-is-ahead-of-any-rookie-qb-ive-seen/

Yeah I was gonna say.

Seeing as how Doug Marrone hasn't seen any rookie QBs first hand, EJ Manuel better be #1.

better days
06-02-2013, 09:05 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens. It won't cost all that much to keep both Kolb & T Jax & I doubt anyone would snatch Tuel from the PS, so no need to worry about losing him. I think the big question is the roster spot. Do the Bills have 3 QBs on the active roster or only 2 with Tuel on the PS as a 3rd.

Goobylal
06-02-2013, 09:47 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens. It won't cost all that much to keep both Kolb & T Jax & I doubt anyone would snatch Tuel from the PS, so no need to worry about losing him. I think the big question is the roster spot. Do the Bills have 3 QBs on the active roster or only 2 with Tuel on the PS as a 3rd.
True it won't cost much to keep both KK and TJ, but I don't think the Bills want to waste a couple mill on a guy who most likely won't see the field and who could be picked-up in-season on a game-by-game basis (if a player with 4 credited seasons, i.e. a "vested veteran" is on the roster on opening day, his entire salary is guaranteed, whereas if he joins a team after the season starts, he gets paid for each game). As for keeping Tuel on the roster versus PS, it depends on how he looks in pre-season. If he looks halfway decent, despite the lack of reps and playing time he'll receive, you keep him on the roster and don't risk losing him. If he shows nothing, you cut him, maybe PS him, and keep EJ and KK or TJ and have Brad Smith as the 3rd/emergency QB.

better days
06-02-2013, 10:02 AM
True it won't cost much to keep both KK and TJ, but I don't think the Bills want to waste a couple mill on a guy who most likely won't see the field and who could be picked-up in-season on a game-by-game basis (if a player with 4 credited seasons, i.e. a "vested veteran" is on the roster on opening day, his entire salary is guaranteed, whereas if he joins a team after the season starts, he gets paid for each game). As for keeping Tuel on the roster versus PS, it depends on how he looks in pre-season. If he looks halfway decent, despite the lack of reps and playing time he'll receive, you keep him on the roster and don't risk losing him. If he shows nothing, you cut him, maybe PS him, and keep EJ and KK or TJ and have Brad Smith as the 3rd/emergency QB.

Yeah, good point about the salary & I think Brad Smith is a consideration in the QB question. If they decide to keep him, he can be the emergency QB so no need to keep 3 QBs active on game day.

Goobylal
06-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah, good point about the salary & I think Brad Smith is a consideration in the QB question. If they decide to keep him, he can be the emergency QB so no need to keep 3 QBs active on game day.
I'd rather they kept 2 QB's and Brad Smith, since he'd be able to be kept as a 7th WR and someone with experience along with Stevie, considering the remainder of the corps will likely be made up of rookies and 2nd year players (TJ, Woods, Goodwin, Graham, Kaufman/Hogan/Elliott). But on the flip side, it would mean Tuel didn't show much.

better days
06-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I'd rather they kept 2 QB's and Brad Smith, since he'd be able to be kept as a 7th WR and someone with experience along with Stevie, considering the remainder of the corps will likely be made up of rookies and 2nd year players (TJ, Woods, Goodwin, Graham, Kaufman/Hogan/Elliott). But on the flip side, it would mean Tuel didn't show much.

It would also mean one of the WR's with promise didn't show enough either.

Goobylal
06-02-2013, 12:01 PM
It would also mean one of the WR's with promise didn't show enough either.
Not really. I expect them to keep 6 WR's. Forgetting about Smith, the locks are Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin. I think Graham and Rogers will also make it. That leaves 1 spot for Kaufman/Hogan/Elliott, all of whom were UDFA's. Looking at the corps without Smith, you have just 1 guy with more than 1 year of playing experience (Stevie), and 1 guy with 1 year of playing experience (Graham). That's a green receiving corps.

better days
06-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Not really. I expect them to keep 6 WR's. Forgetting about Smith, the locks are Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin. I think Graham and Rogers will also make it. That leaves 1 spot for Kaufman/Hogan/Elliott, all of whom were UDFA's. Looking at the corps without Smith, you have just 1 guy with more than 1 year of playing experience (Stevie), and 1 guy with 1 year of playing experience (Graham). That's a green receiving corps.

I would rather have green with POTENTIAL like Stevie had than an experienced MEDIOCRE WR like Smith.