PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Weekly Era Officially Ends

cookie G
06-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Pro Football Weekly says goodbye

This is the one piece I’ve spent part of my childhood and my entire adult life working to avoid having to write. But as I’ve come to learn repeatedly over the 46 years or so during which that effort has been ongoing, often at a significant price, you can’t win ‘em all. So, in my final act as the voice of Pro Football Weekly, it is time to say goodbye. Pro Football Weekly, as we’ve all known it since the first issue rolled off the press in late August of 1967, is no more.

The legal explanation of our demise is posted right here at ProFootballWeekly.com. Technically we were PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY, LLC, a partnership, and contrary to popular perception, I have been neither the majority owner nor the managing partner for quite some time. I was the publisher/editor responsible for the day-to-day operation of the business, an employee with a minority interest in the partnership. That is probably irrelevant, though, as there really are no bad guys in this story.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/05/31/pro-football-weekly-says-goodbye

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/05/31/notice-of-pfw-assignment-for-benefit-of-creditors

But it has really been over for several years. Their content had dropped dramatically over the last five years, and it became PFW in name only.

At one time, they were the gold standard for NFL news and analysis. SI had the pictures, but PFW had the content. They were the definitive draft guide, along with S and S, before there were draft guides, warrooms, and a gajillion sites analyzing the draft.

Their pre-season guide was a great read during the late summer. Even in the infancy of fantasy football, everyone used their pre-season review as reference for their fantasy teams.

Now, they became no more than a spot for Nolan Nawrocki's analysis of Cam Newton and Geno Smith.

I wonder if those two will consider buying the name from their creditors, just so they can personally give him his walking papers.

Night Train
06-02-2013, 02:22 PM
They never kept up with the internet age. Stories were old and updates were too infrequent.

SpikedLemonade
06-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Now, they became no more than a spot for Nolan Nawrocki's analysis of Cam Newton and Geno Smith.

I wonder if those two will consider buying the name from their creditors, just so they can personally give him his walking papers.

Oh, even Noblacki would say that those two don't have the look of leadership to do that.

DraftBoy
06-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Sad to see them go but as NT pointed out the internet age and their failure to adapt doomed them.