PDA

View Full Version : So who are the Nix players for Whaley to keep?

ghz in pittsburgh
06-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Stevie has a big contract. McKelvin has a new deal. Kyle Williams is probably going on his last contract with the Bills. Ditto for Jackson. Lindell is on his way out. These are the only players left that I can remember prior to Nix rejoined the Bills.

While Nix wasn't the GM, he saw the draft of players Levitre (gone), Byrd (franchised), and Wood (last year of the rookie contract).

Of Nix's draft picks that coming up in years, Spiller (two years left), Troup, Carrington, Easley, Moats all have their deals ending this year.

So who to give big money to, who to let go?

Spiller is obvious. If he has another big season, they just have to sign him big; the guy is entering his prime years. If they want to save money, they may have to do it NOW, though I'd like to see how he functions in the new offense which will be here for awhile.

After Levitre, I feel they have Wood in mind for getting the payday. Now Wood has his injury issues - never once finished a season in 4 years, but he's just too important for Bills O-Line. If it's up to me, I'd start the negotiation right after the mini camp.

In terms of importance, I rank Byrd after those two extensions. Despite the talk of a long term contract from the Bills, I feel they may be happy to have him on one year tender. They have one more chance of using the tag if they have to. Byrd is a good player, but I doubt they rank him Spiller kind of special which is apparently what Byrd is asking for right now.

Carrington is another one they'd like to keep. He's a typical 3-4 ends that could well be Kyle's replacement down the road. It depends on how it goes this year. If he takes another step forward and getting a lof of player time (with the inevitable injury to Kyle), he may be in demand, getting a Justin Bannon type of deal for a career.

Troup and Easley have to surprise people to stay in Buffalo, even this year.

Moats very likely a FA after this year.

I have listed Bills draftees only. In terms of cap management, Mario has a big contract that the Bills are going to keep regardless. Adnerson has a medium one; if he continues to disappoint in Buffalo whereas Hughes builds upon what he did in Indys last year, the Bills may opt giving the money to Hughes.

GingerP
06-03-2013, 07:25 AM
I think Byrd should be the biggest priority at this point, because he is only on a 1-year tender. He is one of the best play-making S in the NFL, they should sign him before the mid-July deadline for negotiating long-term deals with franchise players. Spiller they can extend next off-season, there isn't as big a rush. As good as Wood is, his injury history is a concern. I think he still needs to prove he can stay healthy, so I'd wait to sign him. I'd rather risk paying him more to keep him in FA next year than signing him too early.

Carrington is worth keeping at the right money, but they probably don't extend themselves too far. Anderson is a goner unless he takes a big paycut, he was a bad signing from the start. He is being paid like a starter, but he is a situational player.

The rest really don't matter much, one way or the other.

In terms of contracts that are getting expensive, Stevie Johnson is one to keep an eye on. If he keeps producing at a high level he is safe, but he has had some nagging injuries the last couple seasons (though he has missed no games). His cap number jumps from $5.65M this year to $8.5M in 2014, $8.85M in 2015 and $8.95M in 2016. If he stays on top of his game those numbers are worth it, but he has to produce like a #1 WR to justify that kind of cap hit. Depending on how the young WR develop in coming years, SJ could become prohibitively expensive.

justasportsfan
06-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Although he was the player I was pulling for to be the next MOulds, IMO Easley is done! Seems like every wr but him were making plays at OTA's. Would rather give Kaufman a serious look.

Uncle Jesse
06-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Unless Carrington does something this year I dont see why they would keep him around, unless they think he'll keep blocking FGs..

ghz in pittsburgh
06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
When you say one of the best safeties, then it needs to be qualified because that's where money comes into play. We can comfortably say Byrd is in top 10. Top 5? Maybe, maybe not. I really think that's the where the problem lies for both sides.

The CBA allows for multi-year tags; 2nd year tag jumps the salary 122% - still below Byrd's reported asking price of $9 mil per year. Thus I believe the Bills have options.

I'm going to disagree on your Wood assessment. The NFL is trending towards value the Center more and more and the Steelers were right on that cutting edge. Despite his injury history, I think the Bills will ink Wood sooner than you expect.

GingerP
06-03-2013, 12:01 PM
When you say one of the best safeties, then it needs to be qualified because that's where money comes into play. We can comfortably say Byrd is in top 10. Top 5? Maybe, maybe not.

Name the 5 safeties you'd rather have. I can't think of that many. Byrd is an elite player, the smart move is to lock him up in his prime.

OpIv37
06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Unless Carrington does something this year I dont see why they would keep him around, unless they think he'll keep blocking FGs..

Agreed. He has to prove he belongs in the new D for it to be worth re-signing him.

Troup, Easley and Moats should be gone.

Meathead
06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
im old and my memory is shot but wasnt carrington starting to make plays in the regular defensive rotation last season?

what was i talking about?

jwenger
06-03-2013, 01:51 PM
You have to keep Spiller,Woods and Byrd.