PDA

View Full Version : Bills gain $7 Million in Cap Room

DraftBoy
06-03-2013, 07:22 AM
With June 1 designation passed the Bills release of Ryan Fitzpatrick allowed them to count $3 Million towards 2013 and $7 Million towards 2014.

Some good news for what should be a very slow week.

GingerP
06-03-2013, 07:28 AM
If they are smart, they will allocate some of that cap room to extending Byrd before the mid-July deadline on negotiating with franchise players.

Joe Fo Sho
06-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Is 2014 when the salary cap increases significantly? That would be nice.

gebobs
06-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Once that $7.35 million is removed, the Bills will have over $18 million in cap space in 2013.

Thief
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Is 2014 when the salary cap increases significantly? That would be nice.Why? If it raises for everyone, it isn't that good for small market teams. The lower the cap, the better.

Joe Fo Sho
06-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Why? If it raises for everyone, it isn't that good for small market teams. The lower the cap, the better.

If we have to take a 7 million dollar hit, the more cap room available, the less significant that hit is.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-03-2013, 10:09 AM
please sign byrd, wood and Carrington to long term deals... they are all entering their prime and have pro bowl talent

Ed
06-03-2013, 10:35 AM
It seems like at this point we would have been better off just leaving that cap space for next season. With rookies signed and no significant free agents left, what are they going to do with 18+ million in cap space? Can they structure Byrd's extension so that more of the bonus money is applied to this season?

Night Train
06-03-2013, 10:37 AM
A year ago, this would mean an automatic upgrade to Kelsays salary.. but that option is gone.

Give then a few days to figure out Byrd needs some of this. Change is hard. :up:

IlluminatusUIUC
06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
It seems like at this point we would have been better off just leaving that cap space for next season. With rookies signed and no significant free agents left, what are they going to do with 18+ million in cap space? Can they structure Byrd's extension so that more of the bonus money is applied to this season?

Some of it rolls over into next year I believe, but I could be wrong.

Ed
06-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Some of it rolls over into next year I believe, but I could be wrong.
I was wondering about that, but I thought I read somewhere that the roll over was only for last year, before the new minimum salary cap spending rules take effect, but I could be wrong too.

The Jokeman
06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
please sign byrd, wood and Carrington to long term deals... they are all entering their prime and have pro bowl talent

All will be playing new systems in 2013 anything that we saw prior was under Gailey/Wannestadt and there's no guarantee the same success will be had under Marrone. Yet I would re-sign all of them and also look for a few other veterans to shore up some holes in the current roster.

better days
06-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Bonus money is spread over the life of the contract but they could give him a huge bump in his salary this year instead of bonus.

Meathead
06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
beleed me, virtually all that cap space will be gone by the time the season starts. extensions will eat up most of it, the rest will go to a couple late free agent adds after cutdowns

jimmifli
06-03-2013, 11:50 AM
beleed me, virtually all that cap space will be gone by the time the season starts. extensions will eat up most of it, the rest will go to a couple late free agent adds after cutdowns

www.bad****ingnightmare.com/WTF/Bills-screw-up-again.html

August 25th 2013
Orchard Park NY
Richard Flassid

The Buffalo Bills announce the signing of Chris Kelsay to a 3 year contract reportedly worth $27 million, with a signing bonus of $7 million. Reached for comment Russ Brandon said "It took a lot of effort to coax Chris out of retirement but his dedication to this team was obvious. We had a difficult timing filling the hole created when he retired in February and I worked tireless through out the off-season to bring Chris back to the field. We had a lot of cap space available and considered extending Jairus and Eric but felt that convincing Kelsay to return was a better use of the cap space."

more...

GingerP
06-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I was wondering about that, but I thought I read somewhere that the roll over was only for last year, before the new minimum salary cap spending rules take effect, but I could be wrong too.

The way teams carry over cap space changed, but teams can still carry over extra space.

In the old CBA, teams would have to add some incentive to a players contract during the season that was impossible to achieve. In the old CBA, any incentive added during the season would automatically classified as likely-to-be-earned, no matter how crazy. So the team would do something completely un-achievable to some players contract during the year and it would be LTBE. When he didn't earn it at the end of the year, they would get a credit on the following years cap for any extra space they had left up to that amount.

In the new CBA it was simplified, so teams didn't need tricks. Now a team may carry over any remaining cap room to the next year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. They must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift to the new year.

jimbohastle51
06-03-2013, 12:42 PM

This is exactly what the team will attempt to do. This allows them to extend Byrd and wood and give them large cap hits with there bonuses and first year salaries this year and lessen the blow over the next couple seasons. If Byrd is re-signed his cap hit this season (which was going to be almost 7 million anyway) will probably be around 13-15 million this year.

Woods contract is going to be very team friendly after it is finished. Between him already stating he wants to be here and all of the past injuries he has had throughout the past couple years he will probably be the easiest extension to get finished.