PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on Gilmore...

MikeInRoch
06-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Stephon Gilmore an elite cornerback... (http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/04/stephon-gilmore-an-elite-cornerback-lost-in-the-failings-of-the-buffalo-bills/)

Not even from a Bills homer...

BidsJr
06-04-2013, 09:57 AM
If this guy is correct, then what a great pick he was by Buddy.

justasportsfan
06-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I thought at times he showed signs of greatness but occasionally got burned due to rookie mistakes plus Wanny "vanilla' D.

TigerJ
06-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Very nice article. I'm guessing Pettine is just drooling at the prospects of seeing Gilmore in man coverage this season. The article, for anyone who hasn't read it, essentially describes Gilmore as having the potential to be the next great CB in the same mold as Darrell Revis and Richard Sherman. Of course, the difference is Gilmore is younger and has a lot more years ahead of him in the league than Darrell Revis especially. Another difference is that Gilmore seems to be much more of a team guy than Revis ever thought of being. A feather in Buddy Nix's cap to be sure.

jimmifli
06-04-2013, 11:40 AM
The problem is that being significantly better than the rest of the D, still doesn't tell us how good he is. QBs just have no reason to try and force the ball to his side, because they have at least one other option that is already open. We know he's competent, but we still don't really know what he can do when he's targeted.

trapezeus
06-04-2013, 11:43 AM
i liked how he bounced back after the first game against the jets last season. he got absolutely torched on one play where he was left diving to try to make up on a TD ball. but then after that game, there wasn't much to complain about from him.

i think if the bills have byrd and him and can somehow just get pressure through creative means and calling the right play at the right moment, you could see a number of INTs. however, i'm still skeptical that they have the talent at LB to help the secondary out much.

and of course, avoid the injuries. that will be key.

DynaPaul
06-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow, awesome analysis!

BillsFever21
06-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I have high hopes for Gilmore. He played decent as a rookie and hopefully he can take the next step this season. Now we just need to find somebody competent on the other side to pair with him along with re-signing Byrd.

If the rest of your CB's are junk like ours is then everyone can just attack them instead. If we can find someone else to play competent on the other side that would also free Byrd and our safeties up to help stop the run and to also have more chances for INT's.

jamze132
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Great find!

PTI
06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
He was average last year. He led the league in defensive players, all defensive players, in committing penalties, and led the league in committing pass interference penalties too.

With that said, I liked the pick and think he can be real good.

gebobs
06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
The article, for anyone who hasn't read it, essentially describes Gilmore as having the potential to be the next great CB in the same mold as Darrell Revis and Richard Sherman.And when he approaches that level, the Bills will let him walk and draft another.

Meathead
06-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Wow, awesome analysis!

i just wish it had more detail

TigerJ
06-05-2013, 03:16 PM
He was average last year. He led the league in defensive players, all defensive players, in committing penalties, and led the league in committing pass interference penalties too.

With that said, I liked the pick and think he can be real good.I don't disagree. He did good things. He also committed lots of penalties. However, many of his penalties came as a result of being too aggressive. I suspect most rookie CBs fall short because they are too timid. I think a good DB coach can teach him regarding what he can get away with versus what is going to catch a flag. There's no question he has great physical and mental traits to play the CB position. I'm pretty sure the penalties are going to go down this season, but because his nature is to be confident and aggressive, he's probably always going to catch a few flags.

Fixxxer
06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I recommend Stevie's 2012 season breakdown from the same site. Some here, will be suprised by it. He's a true #1 WR and could be more if we can find a stability at the QB position.

BillsFever21
06-05-2013, 07:48 PM
And when he approaches that level, the Bills will let him walk and draft another.

Revis already got 16 million so if he does pan out then a few years from now 13+ million will be the going rate for a top #1 CB with the elite ones making 16+ million. Hell a bum like McKelvin received 4 million a year and he is a #3 worthy CB.

I can see the headlines now if he did pan out that a CB isn't worth 13+ million a year, we have other players that we will need to pay in 2 or 3 years or that we need so save the cap room to sign a couple average dime a dozen bums somewhere else on the roster for 6 million a year each. Hell McKelvin will be approaching FA again by that point and maybe he could be the new Chris Kelsay with him and retain him with a 2nd contract extension.